The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows 10 Audio Worksation build and tweak guide
Old 8th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy ➡️
Pete, thanks for this thread.

Absolute gold here. Although I do need to uninstall Windows now and start again in order to disable the onboard video/graphics but it will be worth it
Normally can be done in bios settings.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi ➡️
Normally can be done in bios settings.
Yes very true but as Pete says, this should be done prior to installing Windows so that it only creates entries for what is necessary. In reality it likely only makes marginal difference but I’d prefer to do it now when it’s still possible.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA ➡️
Hi Pete,

Thanks again for writing this Guide!

I have a question regarding the wisdom (or lack thereof) of cloning drives when building a *new DAW system:

I have a new Win 10 Pro 64bit AMD Based DAW System, all configured with the Music software I want, updated to the latest Winver 20H2 (OS Build 19042.906).
It has a ASRock X570 Creator motherboard with a Ryzen 3950X CPU. This is my current studio workstation.

I just bought parts for a second system: Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P motherboard and a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU. My intention for this at the moment is as a secondary, somewhat experimental system.

I read an article somewhere (but can't find the link at present) regarding the possibility of cloning my main C Drive and popping it in the new system. Then presuming an internet connection, Windows would notice the new mobo and cpu, download the drivers (or I could manually install them) it needs, ask for a new authorization key of Win 10 Pro and I could go about re-authorizing all my music software licenses as well

In this fantasy, I could save myself hours of work and not have to re-install buckets of plugins and programs

I have successfully cloned many an OS Drive before - usually to move to a bigger drive or a faster SSD. I even created a dual boot Win 10 Pro email computer that my wife and I share. However I have never tried this "cloning a DAW" scenario before and was hoping you could advise?

Perhaps a clean fresh install, then "migrating programs and documents" is an alternative to consider?

I realize that third-party plugins and music software programs are a separate consideration. My main question concerns how Windows handles such a situation?

Cheers
In theory, it will all just work after a reboot or two. But if you are planning to experiment on the new system and figure out if it's good for DAW use, or if certain config things are relevant, I wouldn't start it off in this way.

If it's just a system to play with, and you won't be measuring success/failure on it, then give it a shot.

Finally, keep in mind that there are application and Windows licensing / activation considerations here.

Pete
Old 8th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@ Psychlist1972 , very nice and many thanks. One thing I have wondered about is the value of deleting unused device drivers. Maybe a few hardware generations ago, I read about how device drivers can share an interrupt. They would maybe be chained and each one would query its device to see if it was the one that generated the interrupt. Obsolete thinking now?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
@ Psychlist1972 , very nice and many thanks. One thing I have wondered about is the value of deleting unused device drivers. Maybe a few hardware generations ago, I read about how device drivers can share an interrupt. They would maybe be chained and each one would query its device to see if it was the one that generated the interrupt. Obsolete thinking now?
If the device isn't discovered on the system, the driver won't be loaded, so no allocation will happen.

The reason I advocate for disabling things in the BIOS instead of just in Windows, is two-fold.

1. Guarantee they won't re-enable after an update. Windows generally sees disabled devices as an error on the system, and helpfully (for most people) assumes that if you have it, you probably want to use it.

2. Give the system the best chance to allocate resources, up-front. If you have enabled and installed devices, they will be in the pool when allocations are decided. Some of those are permanent allocations (registry etc.). If those resources aren't available to other devices at the time allocations are sorted, and those devices get stuck sharing, you end up with a sub-optimal configuration, even after later disabling the device in Windows. This becomes less of an issue as we continue to move to more modern devices and connectivity approaches, but it's something I still follow.

As to how interrupts are processed - I really don't know the specifics there. It's going to depend a lot on how the device is connected and what it's trying to do. PCIe, for example, doesn't generally use interrupts in the classic CPU interrupt sense*, but is serial message based. The system knows which device generated it.

* I'm not sure how many PCIe cards today use the classic wire interrupt signals vs. the packet-based "interrupts", so don't take this as gospel as it may turn out that most PCIe devices today use INTx vs MSI. Not what I have come to understand, but also not my area of expertise.

Pete
Old 9th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I won’t try and understand the device driver internals anymore. Thx for the info on driver loading.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Pete,

I have a question in reference to this sentence:

“ In my personal experience, sticking with Intel, Realtek, and other standard LAN ports on motherboards is preferable to some of the gaming-focused options”

On my motherboard (Asus X299) I have both an Intel LAN port and a Aquantia 5G LAN port. Given I only need one, I’ve already disabled the Intel in the BIOS. This decision was based on the fact the manual quoted hugely increased data rates for the Aquantia.

Are you saying I should have gone with the Intel instead? Keep in mind DAW performance is the only priority on this machine and won’t ever be used for gaming.

Or do I misunderstand you? Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what do you have that can talk to it at 5gig?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi Pete,

“ In my personal experience, sticking with Intel, Realtek, and other standard LAN ports on motherboards is preferable to some of the gaming-focused options”

On my motherboard (Asus X299) I have both an Intel LAN port and a Aquantia 5G LAN port. Given I only need one, I’ve already disabled the Intel in the BIOS. This decision was based on the fact the manual quoted hugely increased data rates for the Aquantia.

Are you saying I should have gone with the Intel instead? Keep in mind DAW performance is the only priority on this machine and won’t ever be used for gaming.

Aquantia is absolutely fine as well.
I use mine on a X570 creator
Pete was referring to Killer nics (IMHO)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser ➡️
Aquantia is absolutely fine as well.
I use mine on a X570 creator
Pete was referring to Killer nics (IMHO)
Ok great, thanks for the info.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi Pete,

I have no experience with Aquantia. If they have any sort of app for acceleration, be wary.

Killer is the one that, well, kills audio perf in my personal experience.

Remember, most anything that is not audio-related and is being accelerated in some way potentially takes away from audio performance.

This claim about their 10Gb product cracks me up, though:
Quote:
10 GbE Networking & Thunderbolt 3
Get state-of-the-art connectivity - smooth video streaming, better gaming experience, and fewer dropped connections - with the high performing bandwidth of AQUANTIA 10 GbE LAN and Intel Thunderbolt 3.
Unless you're streaming / gaming just from/within your local network, with another device that also has 10GbE, you're not going to see any perf boost.

Well, unless you have 10Gb outside connection, to a good trunk.

And dropped connections really have nothing to do with your NIC speed these days.

Pete
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My cable provider is giving me 84 Mbps in today's test, so I could get by with 100Mbs ethernet, if I have my units of measure correct. My router has nominal 1Gb input and output ports as do all of my in house switches. Its so inexpensive, so why not. I am not entirely convinced I would notice any difference were my home network 100gb. My big data transfers are to my NAS, but that has spinning platters, so I bet the disk is keeping it from doing 1gb speed data transfers.

Good point, Pete, on the misleading advertising. Overall network speed is limited by the slowest device in the path. I am puzzled at what folks at home expect to gain from 5-10 gig nics. This is getting into the realm where the hosts on the network are not able to send or receive data at these speeds. Also, were one to get a nice 5gb data stream going, would not the network card put a big load on the system, use much of the CPU attention? Glad to be educated, but skeptical until I hear more.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➡️
I have no experience with Aquantia. If they have any sort of app for acceleration, be wary.

Killer is the one that, well, kills audio perf in my personal experience.

Remember, most anything that is not audio-related and is being accelerated in some way potentially takes away from audio performance.

This claim about their 10Gb product cracks me up, though:

Unless you're streaming / gaming just from/within your local network, with another device that also has 10GbE, you're not going to see any perf boost.

Well, unless you have 10Gb outside connection, to a good trunk.

And dropped connections really have nothing to do with your NIC speed these days.

Pete
Thanks Pete, I’ll play it safe and stick with the Intel then.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
... My big data transfers are to my NAS, but that has spinning platters, so I bet the disk is keeping it from doing 1gb speed data transfers.
... Also, were one to get a nice 5gb data stream going, would not the network card put a big load on the system, use much of the CPU attention? Glad to be educated, but skeptical until I hear more.
You'd be hard pressed to even find a Fast Ethernet only (100Mbit/s) switch or LAN adapter (NIC) these days, so 1Gbit/s is normal and expected everywhere.

However, the HDD platter speeds of even mediocre drives easily saturates a Gigabit link. For example, the slowest HDD members of my "servers" (they're very common/old HP Z220 workstations) are 4TB HGST drives that do about 160MByte/sec each. A Gigabit link saturates at 125MByte/s so it's not reasonable to expect much out of that connection.

All the machines on the media subnet have 10GbE NICs. I put 10GbE Solarflare SFN5122 NICs in the HP Z220 devices. I'll provide a link my post from a few weeks ago that shows the layout. What's interesting about CPU utilization is that the even under the stress conditions of running R/W benchmarks, CPU utilization in the i5-3470 processor of the Z220 rarely exceeds 20-percent.

BTW, since that picture the 8TB RAID array of the top left is now 16TB, and the other 16TB was moved to the adjacent "server". Benchmark writes are at about 630MByte/s which is a touch over 5Gbit/sec. I'm trying to understand/fix a problem of read speeds capping at ~450MByte/s from a Win10 client while R/W speeds from a macOS client cap at ~820MByte/s (~6.5Gbit/sec) for other poorly understood (by me) reasons.

The "today we build our studio pc" thread
DEA
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary ➡️

However, the HDD platter speeds of even mediocre drives easily saturates a Gigabit link. For example, the slowest HDD members of my "servers" (they're very common/old HP Z220 workstations) are 4TB HGST drives that do about 160MByte/sec each. A Gigabit link saturates at 125MByte/s so it's not reasonable to expect much out of that connection.
Further to this discussion (and thanks for your help on this earlier MediaGary) I have been experimenting with a bargain basement version of high speed LAN:

Using a Cat7 cable I've made a direct connection (Thanks markusschloesser) between my "10GBS" Aquantia network on my X570 Creator DAW and a newer experimental tinkering DAW build consisting of the new Gigabyte Vision D-P motherboard, which features dual "2.5GBS" network LAN ports.

I then tried out some large file transfers consisting of some client video backups. At first I had some lovely "molasses in springtime" experiences consisting of transfer rates of 60MBps. Then after some troubleshooting, I discovered that my direct connection had downgraded itself to 1GBps. Also, I had used an ancient spinning rust platter as my destination target and that is already very slow *within* the computer system, never mind the network!

So after making sure my direct connection was actually running at "2.5GBS", I tried again, making sure my source and destination targets were both recent SSD's. this yielded a much improved transfer rate of 250-300GBS between the 2 computers.

So the reason for my air quotes around all the official speeds is that, much like some politicians - of which we won't speak - the stated *best case* transfer rate is far from the realistically achievable reality.

Makes me think of all the possible bottlenecks in a given system . .
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
...A Gigabit link saturates at 125MByte/s so it's not reasonable to expect much out of that connection...
Thanks for the information--I was aware of the max transfer rate of spinning platter drives, but did not work the numbers on gigabit ethernet. It sounds like a lot but there are overhead bits and by the time it gets to Megabytes per second, the number gets a lot smaller--though I did not know by how much--so I can substitute facts for feelings and learn something new.

Looks like my gig lan would be a bottleneck in nas transfers. Having said that, it works well enough as it is. To implement something faster I would need a new nic on my computer--which would wig out waves pirate detector, buy a new switch--doable, but the biggest deterrent is me not wanting to get back into the crawlspace of my house and run the new cable...

On a different topic, @ Psychlist1972 , curious about registry cleaners. I believe that the consensus from Microsoft, and yourself, is that these are pointless and may even cause trouble if they delete something useful.

Thing is, my experience as a programmer, and maybe even a bit OCD on such matters, it bugs me that there are all these things in the registry left by uninstalled software, or pointing to invalid classes or files and so on. It is hard for me to consider these things to be left alone. What are your thoughts on why these entries are ok to leave in registry? I am also curious why windows does not do its own housekeeping on the registry as well.

I also note that windows started blocking the wise registry cleaner including the latest version, but I was able to use cccleaner. So I thought that was an interesting development.

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

On a different topic, @ Psychlist1972 , curious about registry cleaners. I believe that the consensus from Microsoft, and yourself, is that these are pointless and may even cause trouble if they delete something useful.

Thing is, my experience as a programmer, and maybe even a bit OCD on such matters, it bugs me that there are all these things in the registry left by uninstalled software, or pointing to invalid classes or files and so on. It is hard for me to consider these things to be left alone. What are your thoughts on why these entries are ok to leave in registry? I am also curious why windows does not do its own housekeeping on the registry as well.

I also note that windows started blocking the wise registry cleaner including the latest version, but I was able to use cccleaner. So I thought that was an interesting development.

Thanks
The registry is a database. It's data, not something active, so the worst that happens is that you have more data to scan through or load (and store).

If you try out a lot of software, or you are a developer registering a ton of temporary stuff, then yes, starting fresh every once in a while is not a bad idea.

For the typical end user, the registry itself is not the source of issues, not unless they install and then uninstall a ton of stuff on a regular basis.

But if you delete something that was required, you can cause yourself a world of hurt. The registry contains the IDs and locations of COM components, for example. (That's the origin of the registry from way back in 16 bit days and OLE). If an entry for a COM component was wiped, some apps may fail. Apps generally do not have error handling that handles an incomplete or corrupted install (which is what removing the location of a COM component would most feel like).

FWIW, the desktop bridge (and UWP) is an attempt to help properly clean up in an app install. Any Win32 app wrapped using that will have a virtualized registry for writing, and won't write to the main registry. Of course, that doesn't work for all types of apps, or any shared components.

Why don't uninstallers clean up the registry properly? Why doesn't Windows?
  1. Shared components may be referenced by another app. In an ideal world, if all have a good installer and uninstaller, and they are used, the reference count will go down, and the last uninstall will clean up the entries and the files. Doesn't always happen, though.
  2. Many entries are written by apps when they are running. The registry was always available as a centralized storage, so app devs got used to using it. Better choices these days include json files in the docs & settings folder.
  3. There is no schema saying "App Foo will create/write to the following X keys in the registry in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive" or similar. So Windows can't make any assumptions.
  4. Scanning the file system for COM components and then matching them up against the registry would be a rather disk and processor-intensive task that no one here is going to want to have running in the background. But individual app repair tools do a subset of that. If you've ever done a "repair" install, you're seeing that type of process happen, but at a much smaller and more manageable scope. Unfortunately, it doesn't remove unused things.

Registry cleaners *can* work. But sometimes they don't, and the results are a corrupted system. Or sometimes they require the user to make a decision they are not equipped to make.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Registry cleaners *can* work. But sometimes they don't, and the results are a corrupted system. Or sometimes they require the user to make a decision they are not equipped to make.

Pete
As always, thank you much for the detailed discussion. This is one of those things that my rational mind understands, but my irrational mind does not like, so I sought more information to help put it into perspective.

PS. From back in the day when I learned about registry and com and the like, I always felt there should be the equivalent of database declarative referential integrity that would do a cascading delete or otherwise ensure that there would not be rows of data pointing to things that no longer exist. One thing about me, is that I can get careless and goof things up, but I know enough to be able to bail myself out for the most part.... My system is quite stable these days--the only exception being a huge problem with cubase and nvidia drivers which I attribute to cubase not windows.

Last edited by ponzi; 2 weeks ago at 03:23 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
[*]Shared components may be referenced by another app. In an ideal world, if all have a good installer and uninstaller, and they are used, the reference count will go down, and the last uninstall will clean up the entries and the files. Doesn't always happen, though.
Nvidea? You listening?

Quote:
I seem to recall an installation monitor in Windows. 95? 98? XP? It, supposedly ensured a clean uninstall if you used it for all installs/uninstalls.

Or maybe I'm just old, senile, and crazy...Don't answer that!
DEA
Gear Nut

Cloning Win 10 Pro 64bit OS Drive

Quote:
It really wouldn't be much different from a thin & light laptop.

Pete
Hi Pete,

I have a 2 part question; one more technical and one regarding Win 10 Pro Licensing in regards to dual-boot OS Configuration.

LICENSING: When running a dual-boot OS on a single machine (2 instances of Win 10 Pro 64bit) do you need 2 separate Windows Activation License Keys?

Here is one example - I bought a refurbished Lenovo Desktop computer from Amazon for my wife and I to share. It came with a 300GB (or so) SSD and a digital Win 10 Pro license. I managed to partition the Basic MBR drive in half using Easus software and then followed a online "How-To Geek" tutorial about setting up a dual boot OS configuration. Can't remember the full procedure, but it worked; when booting the computer it offers a Windows Boot manager that allows you to choose one or the other OS Partition. When you arrive at the desktop you can see the other "C Drive" but assigned to a different drive letter. You can copy or delete documents you want to pass back and forth between the partitions and both partitions register as activated with a digital license. I think I "cloned the OS Drive" but in such as fashion that Windows is aware (but not offended) on a technical level.

An obvious DAW application might be to have a conservative OS with your "tried and true" programs and applications, as well as another OS Partition for experimental music software you want to try but are not ready to put on your main "Work" Drive.

Can you clarify what the official Microsoft policy is regarding dual-boot OS systems? Is it technicaly supported and does one require one or two license (product keys) to be legal?

(I have a second more interesting part to this topic, but I thought it would be more helpful to this thread to establish the baseline answers to more fundamental questions first.)

Last edited by DEA; 2 weeks ago at 10:49 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA ➡️
Hi Pete,

I have a 2 part question; one more technical and one regarding Win 10 Pro Licensing in regards to dual-boot OS Configuration.

LICENSING: When running a dual-boot OS on a single machine (2 instances of Win 10 Pro 64bit) do you need 2 separate Windows Activation License Keys?

Here is one example - I bought a refurbished Lenovo Desktop computer from Amazon for my wife and I to share. It came with a 300GB (or so) SSD and a digital Win 10 Pro license. I managed to partition the Basic MBR drive in half using Easus software and then followed a online "How-To Geek" tutorial about setting up a dual boot OS configuration. Can't remember the full procedure, but it worked; when booting the computer it offers a Windows Boot manager that allows you to choose one or the other OS Partition. When you arrive at the desktop you can see the other "C Drive" but assigned to a different drive letter. You can copy or delete documents you want to pass back and forth between the partitions and both partitions register as activated with a digital license. I think I "cloned the OS Drive" but in such as fashion that Windows is aware (but not offended) on a technical level.

An obvious DAW application might be to have a conservative OS with your "tried and true" programs and applications, as well as another OS Partition for experimental music software you want to try but are not ready to put on your main "Work" Drive.

Can you clarify what the official Microsoft policy is regarding dual-boot OS systems? Is it technicaly supported and does one require one or two license (product keys) to be legal?

(I have a second more interesting part to this topic, but I thought it would be more helpful to this thread to establish the baseline answers to more fundamental questions first.)

** I am not a lawyer nor am I a license expert **

In short, I don't have an official answer for you other than "Based on my understanding of the US EULA, I don't believe you can do that [install two instances on same PC with same license] and comply with the license terms." I don't have any contacts in licensing, and honestly, do my best to stay away from that at work.

Here's the Windows 10 license agreement if you are in the US and not a volume license customer. (Canada should be similar, but I haven't read it). The pre-installed OEM edition has more restricted rights than a retail purchased version.

License terms:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

Activation FAQ:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-2820fda32227

Some key quotes from the EULA:

Quote:
Successful activation does not confirm that the software is genuine or properly licensed.
Quote:
License. The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement. ...
In addition, as far as I know:
  • You can't legally use the same purchased or OEM license as both the host, and in a VM or in a VHD (including booting into the VHD)
  • You can't move an OEM license from one device to another
  • Those cheap licenses on ebay and other sites are not legal

Pete
DEA
Gear Nut

Quote:
** I am not a lawyer nor am I a license expert **

In short, I don't have an official answer for you other than "Based on my understanding of the US EULA, I don't believe you can do that [install two instances on same PC with same license] and comply with the license terms." I don't have any contacts in licensing, and honestly, do my best to stay away from that at work.

Some key quotes from the EULA: (SNIPPED)

In addition, as far as I know:
  • You can't legally use the same purchased or OEM license as both the host, and in a VM or in a VHD (including booting into the VHD)
  • You can't move an OEM license from one device to another
  • Those cheap licenses on ebay and other sites are not legal

Pete
Thank you Pete for clarifying some of the legal aspects of that.

I was not really aware of VM (Virtual Machine?) and VHD's (Virtual Hard Drive?) configurations but *did know about the cheap ebay type licenses being not legal. Having lawyers in my family I do realize it can get very thick, very quick as far as the legalities of specific usage situations are concerned. Also, another obvious point is that, just because you discover a loophole, doesn't mean it's legal.

I was hoping to separate some of the technical issues of dual (or triple, or quadruple) booting from the legal ones, but now realize I may be steering the conversation thread into a legal minefield.

Also, in this instance the legal and technical issues may be utterly and thoroughly intertwined.

For some reason the dual boot is making me think of one of those old Star Trek episodes where there is a Parallel universe with an evil Captain Kirk standing on the bridge and everything is fine . . until there is a rip in the fabric of space and time and the good Captain Kirk meets his evil twin and all hell breaks loose
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
... I'm trying to understand/fix a problem of read speeds capping at ~450MByte/s from a Win10 client while R/W speeds from a macOS client cap at ~820MByte/s (~6.5Gbit/sec) for other poorly understood (by me) reasons...
Today I imported a set of work files from a Sunday-in-the-park concert. The group of files is about 300GB. Moving the files from the 4xHDD RAID-0 drive on the "server" to the 3xSSD RAID-0 work drive in the DAW/NLE machine showed a consistent ~600MByte/sec data transfer rate...peaks at ~660MBytes/sec.

That simply means that the benchmark results of ~450MByte/sec while reading are not to be trusted as a definitive value. Screenshots are below.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 Audio Worksation build and tweak guide-datarate2-g-j.png   Windows 10 Audio Worksation build and tweak guide-datarate-g-j.png  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Today I imported a set of work files from a Sunday-in-the-park concert. The group of files is about 300GB. Moving the files from the 4xHDD RAID-0 drive on the "server" to the 3xSSD RAID-0 work drive in the DAW/NLE machine showed a consistent ~600MByte/sec data transfer rate...peaks at ~660MBytes/sec.

That simply means that the benchmark results of ~450MByte/sec while reading are not to be trusted as a definitive value. Screenshots are below.
That seems to be pretty good scaling of speed on the HDD array.
📝 Reply