The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha n Series
Old 15th September 2008 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
^^ So you're saying turn my monitors off (or attenuate) and use the control room outs, CR headphone out, or aux to monitor while recording.

That's the only way I can imagine to mute or control the volume while mixing down via ST MIX.

Unless I'm still misunderstanding. I was hoping something like the PFL button on the stereo buss would allow me to control monitoring level and not recording level... am I making any sense?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➑️
^^ So you're saying turn my monitors off (or attenuate) and use the control room outs, CR headphone out, or aux to monitor while recording.

That's the only way I can imagine to mute or control the volume while mixing down via ST MIX.

Unless I'm still misunderstanding. I was hoping something like the PFL button on the stereo buss would allow me to control monitoring level and not recording level... am I making any sense?
I'm still getting into using the n12 but I'm pretty sure that, provided they are connected to one of the monitor output pairs, you can control the volume level of the monitors using the Control Room volume knob whilst providing an unchanged (and presumably still 'hot') signal on the ST bus which you can then record in Cubase.

If this doesn't answer the question, I'm not sure I understand it

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
My ST outs are connected to my main monitors. I have a 2nd pair connected to Control Room out. Control Room Level controls the control room speakers only. It does not affect the level of the stereo buss.

🎧 10 years
Could you not connect your monitors to one of the other monitor outs instead of the ST out or have you got it configured that way so you can have it through multiple speaker sets simultaneously? To me that is a bit of a failing (albeit a minor one) in the n12 - that you can't select multiple monitor sets.

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHolloway ➑️
Could you not connect your monitors to one of the other monitor outs instead of the ST out or have you got it configured that way so you can have it through multiple speaker sets simultaneously? To me that is a bit of a failing (albeit a minor one) in the n12 - that you can't select multiple monitor sets.
Yeah, I can always switch my main monitors temporarily over to the Control Room outs. Ideally though, I prefer as little fiddling in the back of the N12 as possible, especially since I often jump between different projects.

I feel like there is an easy solution I'm not getting. I imagine I could route the entire Cubase mixer to N12 11/12 and HW mix from there, but that's still not quite what I want to do... actually that would be a lot of itb routing work.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHolloway ➑️
To me that is a bit of a failing (albeit a minor one) in the n12 - that you can't select multiple monitor sets.
+1!!!!!!! I have to use the 5.1 feature of Cubase in order to output to all my monitors at once.

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvmi ➑️
+1!!!!!!! I have to use the 5.1 feature of Cubase in order to output to all my monitors at once.
Seems like there is some confusion as to the monitoring section does.
Rightfully so..
The features of the n12 are normally only found on really expensive large format consoles.

You have C-R A B and C or 5.1 (BTW this is NOT simply an all switch. There are rear speaker reductions and LFE management ... etc this is the real 5.1)

SO instead of connecting you main monitors to ST Out, Set them to CR out-A
set your second set of monitors to CR-C

Your Sub to CR-B Right and so forth

When you want to hear the ST Out select CR Source to ST...
When you want to hear whats going to your Aux Out select AUX
When you want to hear whats cominfg from the Main L&R of Cubase, select DAW

when you want to hear any of this from a second monitor select C-R Speaker "C" or B

If you set all of your channel strip AUX send to unity (the arrow at 1 o'clock)
then you can listen to the AUX bus which is pre fader if you want to hear post ST fader, listen to ST

If you want to hear DAW pre mixer listen to DAW input

As long as you have send 1 of each track going to n12-AUX or mLAN 15/16

Then just adjust the DAW to AUX level...

This is a very flexible monitoring system and generally
WAAAY more than most need or are even aware of
Old 16th September 2008 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
thumbsup

Yes, the above method works perfectly. I knew there was something embarrassingly simple that never occurred to me. Just use the (C) CR outs too... duh Nothing to see here folks, most of you will figure this out on day 1.
Old 16th September 2008 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosync ➑️
when you want to hear any of this from a second monitor select C-R Speaker "C" or B
But what if I want to hear My CR-A with sub and/or CR-C with sub? Why can't you turn on all speaker outs at once if so desired?
Old 17th September 2008 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is a very flexible monitoring system and generally
WAAAY more than most need or are even aware of
Yes, the monitoring on the n12 is great,
but hey, where is the MONO Button?
I really miss that one.

Regards,
Paul

🎧 15 years
For anybody Looking for an N12

https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...ml#post3496390

Cheap plug but I love this board and somebody should get it from me and save some $$$.

BTW: I am still going to use Cubase George, I just bought a Trident Series 8T and looking for a 24 i/o to use with Cubase WOOOHOOO

Any suggestions?

Ric

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulitto ➑️
Yes, the monitoring on the n12 is great,
but hey, where is the MONO Button?
I really miss that one.

Regards,
Paul
Spot on

It's on my wish list too

🎧 20 years
Quote:
But what if I want to hear My CR-A with sub and/or CR-C with sub? Why can't you turn on all speaker outs at once if so desired?
It will trash your stereo image create standing waves galore and kill your mixes but use the 5.1 mode and you do indeed have that...

Remember this get your listen area honest before doing anything else...

If not, everything you mix is a lie.

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricfoxx ➑️
https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...ml#post3496390

Cheap plug but I love this board and somebody should get it from me and save some $$$.

BTW: I am still going to use Cubase George, I just bought a Trident Series 8T and looking for a 24 i/o to use with Cubase WOOOHOOO

Any suggestions?

Ric
3 Steinberg MR816s there is nothing better for use with Cubase
Once you understand the different modes it's pretty awesome

Teddy Riley just put 3 in his studio.

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Remember this get your listen area honest before doing anything else...

If not, everything you mix is a lie.
I’ve spent more money on this than anything else in my studio. I have a very accurate room. Here is why being able to always keep the sub on would be nice. I have my keyboards set up off to the left of my main mixing desk and I have a set of monitors on each side of my keyboards, so when I’m playing my keys I like to monitor through this set of monitors with the sub. When I’m mixing I use my main monitors on the left and right of my mixing desk and sometimes I want to activate the sub. Similar to how the presonus central station works.

🎧 20 years
Quote:
I’ve spent more money on this than anything else in my studio. I have a very accurate room. Here is why being able to always keep the sub on would be nice. I have my keyboards set up off to the left of my main mixing desk and I have a set of monitors on each side of my keyboards, so when I’m playing my keys I like to monitor through this set of monitors with the sub. When I’m mixing I use my main monitors on the left and right of my mixing desk and sometimes I want to activate the sub. Similar to how the presonus central station works.
I understand. It's the keyboardist's "L" from hell.
Just out of curiosity, how do your mixes sound now?

How were you mixing and monitoring before the n12?
There are Many ways to approach this.
Can you give us your speaker set up?

f you want to discuss it in depth, send me a PM with your phone number (if in US)
and I'll call you as soon as I get back from lunch apx 1/2 hour

We'll get you hooked up

🎧 15 years
Hi all,

Pardon if this question has already been asked (did a search and could not find it):

Has anyone found a suitable case for the Yamaha 12?

I had to throw a trash bag over my N12 the other day ...

I did a search on its dimensions and "case" but found nothing.

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbowes ➑️
Hi all,

Pardon if this question has already been asked (did a search and could not find it):

Has anyone found a suitable case for the Yamaha 12?

I had to throw a trash bag over my N12 the other day ...

I did a search on its dimensions and "case" but found nothing.
Do you mean Case or Cover?

If you want a nice flight Case

Jan-Al has the dimensions on the n12. They have made 2 for me to use for my rare but glorious travels heh
Old 18th September 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Case or Cover?
Hi Geosync,
your support here is excellent, as always!

I've been looking for a case as well, it's silly that it's impossible to find a case (or soft case) for the N12 without a custom order (=nice but expensive).
Can't Yamaha manufacture something? I nice piece of gear like this deserves a case.

🎧 10 years
Hi,

yes, a case or even better,
a padded bag would be really nice.
(Like the ones Mackie does....)

btw, i'm enjoying the work with my n12 a lot.
It has been my best gear purchase for a long time.......

Regards,
Paul

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kire ➑️
Hi Geosync,
your support here is excellent, as always!

I've been looking for a case as well, it's silly that it's impossible to find a case (or soft case) for the N12 without a custom order (=nice but expensive).
Can't Yamaha manufacture something? I nice piece of gear like this deserves a case.
we are not in the case business never have been..

SKB may have one that fits

Remember too that the n12 was designed for home studio use not as a live sound mixer ;-)
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
we are not in the case business never have been..
You seem to make a lot of other cases, look at this :-)
yamaha cases site:yamaha.com - Google Search

Quote:
Remember too that the n12 was designed for home studio use not as a live sound mixer ;-)
Well, it works fine as a small live sound mixer :-), and no matter what, you still want to move it sometimes...

🎧 20 years
Quote:

Well, it works fine as a small live sound mixer :-), and no matter what, you still want to move it sometimes...
We don't make them ;-)
We sell them ...
If it's a hardshell case, most likely SKB will make them for us

Like I said, I thin they already have a generic case that will fit and will cost WAAAY less than if we made them I have had less than 10 requests

🎧 20 years
Quote:

I understand..

But it is not profitable for us... sorry
It is for SKB and ANVIL and JAN-AL
That's why you pay more...

Believe me, we understand...

BTW, if we made a case, it would cost more than the SKB or JAN-AL one anyway

🎧 10 years
I am considering purchasing a Korg M3 keyboard and want to use the firewire capabilities via my Yamaha n12.

If I daisy-chain them together, will I be able to access outputs from the M3 as well as the n12 in Cubase 4?

Thanks,
Marty
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Guys

anyone here with 2 N12's working together able to write out the steps that you needed to get this to work??

right now i have one N12 on a PC with Cubase 4.5.2

running on the AI driver. george helped me some but i wanted to hear from someone how exactly they did it from start to finish, from cabling, to Mlan driver, to the patchbay thing

and then how the new templates are working from yamaa for 2 n12's and Mlan

thanks for any help.

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdorren ➑️
I am considering purchasing a Korg M3 keyboard and want to use the firewire capabilities via my Yamaha n12.

If I daisy-chain them together, will I be able to access outputs from the M3 as well as the n12 in Cubase 4?

Thanks,
Marty
Quick answer, no

Maybe you can aggregate on a MAC but I assume that you will need 2 1394 controllers to to it

Better to use the M3 analog out, a little more noise but WAAAYYY less long term headaches
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a korg triton pro, 76 key and i run it stereo out on 2 quarter inch jack cables, into 11/12 on the N12 and it sounds great

and no issues at all

not sure if that helps you or maybe its no help since i am not sure what the M3 is but i saw the korg question and thought i would jump in
Old 19th September 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Want to add Motif XS Rack to 2 N8's

Interesting. I'm thinking about adding a Motif Xs rack to my rig (in the ver near future) and knowing that's it's M-Lan I'm thinking about buying the firewire addon as well. But what I would llike to know and confirm is, as i already have two yamaha n8's hooked up together, would I be able to add a third unit like the Xs-rack to the firewire card and be able to Intregrate everything together. For Example, Would i be able to play a Grand piano on channel 1 live from my keyboard (but pulling the tone from the xs offcourse) and in realtime send that channel to Cubase, then bring that channel out to one of the faders on one of my N8's?... all in realtime??

That would be good to know..
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks....
Old 20th September 2008 | Show parent

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustream ➑️
Interesting. I'm thinking about adding a Motif Xs rack to my rig (in the ver near future) and knowing that's it's M-Lan I'm thinking about buying the firewire addon as well. But what I would llike to know and confirm is, as i already have two yamaha n8's hooked up together, would I be able to add a third unit like the Xs-rack to the firewire card and be able to Intregrate everything together. For Example, Would i be able to play a Grand piano on channel 1 live from my keyboard (but pulling the tone from the xs offcourse) and in realtime send that channel to Cubase, then bring that channel out to one of the faders on one of my N8's?... all in realtime??

That would be good to know..
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks....

Sure you can.
You can even send the XS to a different n8 input than the other Cubase tracks.

You have 8 sends. Send 1 is the DAW input the other 7 sends can go to other channels all in real time. There will be a slight latency but if your buffer is set to 512 or below, you probably won't even notice it.
πŸ“ Reply