The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha n Series
Old 13th September 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
With existing projects you have to manually set your outputs for each channel. You need to have Hardware Mix ON before you open the project again, or else the channel config will reset. If you open the project and select Hardware mix after opening your project Cubase/N12 will re-route your channels corresponding to the default template.
If this happens, don't save. Just close the project. Turn on HW mix, then open the project again. Everything will be set the way you configured it.

Hope that helps.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the advice - I'll try that and see what happens.

On another note, how can you check which firmware version it's running and is it worth going to the latest firmware release? Having said that, I did try to run the firmware updater and the software didn't pick up the n12 - I'm running Mac OSX 10.5 on an Intel iMac if that makes any difference.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Go to the yamaha website (it's posted in here on one of the last few pages) and d/l the latest firmware.

There's also new mlan drivers available.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yamaha N12 newbie

Hi, Thanks very much with that detailed response, i will follow that proceedure. Im waiting delivery of a new desk so im working with the n12 on my hands and knees so im not spending too much time on it. Im also taking delivery of a new Akai mpk controller later next week. I wonder whether i should run it directly through usb or midi through the n12, thats another topic though?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➑️
Go to the yamaha website (it's posted in here on one of the last few pages) and d/l the latest firmware.

There's also new mlan drivers available.
I've already been there and got the new mLan drivers (which work fine) and the firmware updater but when I run the updater it fails to 'see' the n12 even if I hit 'Refresh'
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I run my MPD amd keyboard controller via USB. Works fine for me. I haven't used midi cables in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHolloway ➑️
I've already been there and got the new mLan drivers (which work fine) and the firmware updater but when I run the updater it fails to 'see' the n12 even if I hit 'Refresh'
Not sure why that could be. Guess that's one for Geosync. Mine worked instantly, but I have a G5 PPC.
Old 14th September 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHolloway ➑️
When you run the firmware updater, make sure you have device manager "OFF"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hye George

is there a new extensions update from sept 5 th i missed info on ??

i was on the N12 site and saw that date and couldn't remember if you mentioned it here and if not what it contains

thanks
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
n12 newbie

Hi, So if i wish to compress a stereo percussion track i would compress via the software as per usual and then eventually sum down to 9/10, 11/12? Is there a way to compress a stereo track with the n12 and break the track down, e.g; left channel 1, right chanel 2? I have tried to send left ch1, rightch2, and it works in the respect that i do get 2 seperate channels but they are both sent as mono so any panning is not heard? If it is not possible to compress a stereo track with pans on the n12?Would it be a good idea to consider a cheap stereo compressor and add it as an insert? Im just exploring possibilitys at this stage? Thanks in advance
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think I understand what you're saying. You may have to take care of your compression and panning ITB. Then use the N12 9/10 or 11/12 if you want post eq or reverb. I'm also considering HW buss compression because of this.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock ➑️
Hye George

is there a new extensions update from sept 5 th i missed info on ??

i was on the N12 site and saw that date and couldn't remember if you mentioned it here and if not what it contains

thanks
Yes there is :-) You won't see any real changes except for multiple devices
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
n12 newbie

Hi, Thanks for reply, I was basicly wondering if there was some method of compressing a stereo channel so, Yes you understood me perfectly. In that case then the compression is for mono channels only? I am getting around the mixer a lot better and trying different things. As regards vocals do you adjust eq at recording stage or would you leave the eq alone untill mixdown? The way i'm thinking; If i were to adjust eq at recording stage and get it close to where i want it, it would be closer to the sound i want when i eq itb? Do you think most proffessional studios add eq at recording stage?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up Absolutely Fantastic!!

Well, after a couple of days of playing around (and some handy advice from this thread - cheers guys heh) I've finally got my head around routing, using the n12 with existing projects & recording new ones and I have to say I haven't been this impressed with a piece of kit since I traded my G5 for a new iMac.

The n12 is - to use an overworked term - AWESOME!!

I normally use group channels in Cubase to help with mixing but I've found that with careful routing from the C4 mixer to the n12 I don't need them anymore and the results are sounding so much better than the ITB mixes I'd already done.

It operates in a completely different way than I'd expected and that took some mental adjustment. Simple things like reducing all the levels in the C4 mixer to a safe level below clipping and then letting the n12 handle the actual mix levels, routing guitars with the same panning settings to the same fader on the n12 (setting their relative levels in C4 and then their mix level on the n12)............

I've also noticed that in Guitar Rig, guitars sound more 'real' when the guitar signal has been recorded via the n12 than they did before and for bass guitar the compressor & EQ really give a polished and punchy sound.

OK, I'm going on a bit now but I am very very pleased (plus mine was an absolute bargain - B-stock @ Β£579).

Cheers again for the help.

M
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by betahifidelity ➑️
<<SNIP>>As regards vocals do you adjust eq at recording stage or would you leave the eq alone untill mixdown? The way i'm thinking; If i were to adjust eq at recording stage and get it close to where i want it, it would be closer to the sound i want when i eq itb? Do you think most proffessional studios add eq at recording stage?

For vocals mic selection and placement come 1st

You don't have to go out a buy a boatload of expensive mics, just pic the best one for the vocalist on a song by song basis...
Experiment with the room stand in different places and at different angles
You'll be amazed at how different it will sound.
How does the vocal sound IN the mix when you track.

As with all instruments ( I consider voice an instrument too) the secret of tracking them is to capture them as realistic as possible and with good dynamics and low noise

EQ should be to REMOVE frequencies that offend or compete.
Decide what sounds best tell the story and Sculpt away the blemishes...

Short answer.. If you can grab a good sound in a good room

EQ after,,,

Everytime to touch a knob, you change the signal's phase...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
quick question on mixing back out thru the n12

say you have done your mix in cubase with automation on faders etc and most of them are not near 0db

i take it summing for the most part is sendin your mix as stems back out thru the 8 mono and 2 stereo track on the n12, so you apply group channels in cubase accordinglyl

and on the n12 you can use comp, eq, verb, etc but you would not want to touch the faders at their postion of 0

basically what fader is taking over mixing thru the n12? are my levels and auto in cubase? or does the hardware fader on the n12 change those levels?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
n12 newbie

Hi George, I am using a cheap Behringer condenser mic and i think its spoiling the signal to be honest. I have a good singing range and can hold a note (i have melodyne etc anyway) but there is a slight nasal frequency around the mid range that i always have had to remove/cut from my vocals. I do find the n12 mid sweep very usefull in cutting that frequncy down and reducing the work later on during itb eqing etc. I was just wondering if that would be a colmon practise? But yes i have to be carefull not to over do it.Thanks again.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi George, I am using a cheap Behringer condenser mic and i think its spoiling the signal to be honest. I have a good singing range and can hold a note (i have melodyne etc anyway) but there is a slight nasal frequency around the mid range that i always have had to remove/cut from my vocals. I do find the n12 mid sweep very usefull in cutting that frequncy down and reducing the work later on during itb eqing etc. I was just wondering if that would be a colmon practise? But yes i have to be carefull not to over do it.Thanks again.
Have you tried facing a different angle or Chest micing?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

basically what fader is taking over mixing thru the n12? are my levels and auto in cubase? or does the hardware fader on the n12 change those levels?

There is no this or that....

Try both..

I edit the stem wave files so that NO automaton is needed.. and I can sum it on anything..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Let me first state I'm just not a Mac guy and want to stay on the PC side. Also, I'm looking to do light DAW work where I record the main parts (no live drums) then take them to my buddy's studio to mix. So I don't need all sorts of plugins.

George or anyone replying, forgive me if this has been mentioned, but knowing that Vista is problematic for audio, is 32-bit Vista more workable than 64-bit Vista with the N12 & Cubase 4.x?

Specifically I am toying with the idea of getting the Sony Vaio LT series which is that futuristic all-in-one that looks somewhat like an iMac. There are presently close-outs on the 32-bit versions. They also have Vista Media Center which may or may not be satanic for audio.

Last question in case you tell me that combo is potentially a go: it just has one hard drive, so how would I work the Firewire I/O so that I could connect to both the N12 and an external firewire audio drive?

Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg ➑️
Let me first state I'm just not a Mac guy and want to stay on the PC side. Also, I'm looking to do light DAW work where I record the main parts (no live drums) then take them to my buddy's studio to mix. So I don't need all sorts of plugins.

George or anyone replying, forgive me if this has been mentioned, but knowing that Vista is problematic for audio, is 32-bit Vista more workable than 64-bit Vista with the N12 & Cubase 4.x?

Specifically I am toying with the idea of getting the Sony Vaio LT series which is that futuristic all-in-one that looks somewhat like an iMac. There are presently close-outs on the 32-bit versions. They also have Vista Media Center which may or may not be satanic for audio.

Last question in case you tell me that combo is potentially a go: it just has one hard drive, so how would I work the Firewire I/O so that I could connect to both the N12 and an external firewire audio drive?

Thanks!

SONY makes good machines. I don't know if that 1394 controller is a TI or not,

If so it's a go.. I HIGHLY recommend using the GLYPH FW drive it is rock solid and
n12 friendly. I connect the GLYPH tp my computer and the n12 to it..
Actually, I use it as a hub which is supposed to be a no no.

FW800--->800Mhz ---GLYPH GT050Q---->400Mhz--->n12

Always solid
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a go for 32 bit, 64 bit or both? actually the new sonys coming out in a few weeks have 2 internal hds but I think they'll be 64 bit. . .
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
n12 newbie

Hi George, Yes i have tried various mic placements but i am not sure what chest miking is? I came to the conclusion a long while back that my voice must be highly eq'd to sound presentable. Within the next few months i am due to invest in a new condenser mic. I seem to find many good reports of the akg 414xls2 mic. Apparantly this mic has a frequency boost around the high mid which is usefull for vocals. As far as my current mic goes;Behringer b2pro, i believe the frequency response to be very dull and making my tonal problem worse. My vocals are certainly sounding better through the N12 than my previous interface, im surely heading in the right direction? On another issue; i only work with vst instruments apart from guitar and odviously vocals. I allways used to open, in C4, the midi 16 track template and add audio tracks accordingly. The N12 templates do not include a preset for midi, allthough i know i could make my own. Is it possible to route the n12 without using the n12 templates or is that not reccomended?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg ➑️
a go for 32 bit, 64 bit or both? actually the new sonys coming out in a few weeks have 2 internal hds but I think they'll be 64 bit. . .

64bit is a definate NO !! for n12
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi George, Yes i have tried various mic placements but i am not sure what chest miking is? I came to the conclusion a long while back that my voice must be highly eq'd to sound presentable. Within the next few months i am due to invest in a new condenser mic. I seem to find many good reports of the akg 414xls2 mic. Apparantly this mic has a frequency boost around the high mid which is usefull for vocals. As far as my current mic goes;Behringer b2pro, i believe the frequency response to be very dull and making my tonal problem worse. My vocals are certainly sounding better through the N12 than my previous interface, im surely heading in the right direction? On another issue; i only work with vst instruments apart from guitar and odviously vocals. I allways used to open, in C4, the midi 16 track template and add audio tracks accordingly. The N12 templates do not include a preset for midi, allthough i know i could make my own. Is it possible to route the n12 without using the n12 templates or is that not reccomended?

Templates are only there to teach you basic routing after a few sessions you should make your own..

Good luck on your mic quest AKG can be a bit brittle

I am using a Avant CV12 with 28 patterns, it's very versatile
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The way I see it, (with a DAW -> HW mix) is that the N12 is basically post-Cubase. I do what I do in Cubase level-wise as normal, I use the N12 just for a post EQ/compression option if I need it. If I don't need it, it passes straight to REC BUSS.

Another thing, is that if you happen to boost or cut N12 EQ, or use N12 compression drive, the N12 fader compensates for that new adjustment in level. You would not want to use the Cubase mixer for this adjustment, because you're in essence, driving the N12 compression.

Questions: If I perform an N12 reset, do I need to reinstall the FW update?

and

If I'm doing a normal ST MIX (ie: not using REC BUSS for recording) what is the best way to record that Cubase mix into a stereo file, other than Cubase EXPORT AUDIO?
Do I set N12 Stereo as an audio input and record that? And in this case, the stereo fader will determine the level of the recording. This presents a problem when you need to bounce down, but can't make a lot of noise in the apartment!
Old 15th September 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Questions: If I perform an N12 reset, do I need to reinstall the FW update?

No one has nothing to do with the other

If I'm doing a normal ST MIX (ie: not using REC BUSS for recording) what is the best way to record that Cubase mix into a stereo file, other than Cubase EXPORT AUDIO?
Do I set N12 Stereo as an audio input and record that?

I didn't understand this at all . Break it down 1 thing at a time...

And in this case, the stereo fader will determine the level of the recording. This presents a problem when you need to bounce down, but can't make a lot of noise in the apartment!

If you have a good (Recording level) set of phones, use them For short term mixing it's ok...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I recently bought the n12 and it's replacing my Fireface 800. I also have a Motif XS so the n12 and XS are connected via mLan to my main DAW. One thing I didn't do was take into account that the n12 doesn't have ADAT. You see I have multiple quad core DAWs and I need to send the slave computer audio to my main DAW via ADAT. What might work for me would be to hook ADAT between my slave computer and the forthcoming MR816. This way I could see it all through one driver in Cubase. Just wish the MR816 had more than one ADAT in/out, but that's for another discussion.

Once all the new drivers are released will the above scenario work? Basically allowing me to connect the XS, n12 and MR816 as one and have Cubase see this all as one. Sorry, I'm just confused as hell with all the different drivers for these pieces of hardware.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvmi ➑️
I recently bought the n12 and it's replacing my Fireface 800. I also have a Motif XS so the n12 and XS are connected via mLan to my main DAW. One thing I didn't do was take into account that the n12 doesn't have ADAT. You see I have multiple quad core DAWs and I need to send the slave computer audio to my main DAW via ADAT. What might work for me would be to hook ADAT between my slave computer and the forthcoming MR816. This way I could see it all through one driver in Cubase. Just wish the MR816 had more than one ADAT in/out, but that's for another discussion.

Once all the new drivers are released will the above scenario work? Basically allowing me to connect the XS, n12 and MR816 as one and have Cubase see this all as one. Sorry, I'm just confused as hell with all the different drivers for these pieces of hardware.

Yes late December should do the trick..

And all the drivers are confusing
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosync ➑️

Do I set N12 Stereo as an audio input and record that?

I didn't understand this at all . Break it down 1 thing at a time...
Well if I do a HW mix, I can choose REC BUSS, where the master fader is independent from recording level. I can leave the N12 master fader all the way down, and still produce a mixdown at adequate level.

If I do a ST MIX (in Cubase), the N12 will record directly from the Stereo channel. The level of your resulting mixdown depends on the level of the Stereo fader.

Unless I'm missing something basic....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➑️
Well if I do a HW mix, I can choose REC BUSS, where the master fader is independent from recording level. I can leave the N12 master fader all the way down, and still produce a mixdown at adequate level.

If I do a ST MIX (in Cubase), the N12 will record directly from the Stereo channel. The level of your resulting mixdown depends on the level of the Stereo fader.

Unless I'm missing something basic....
Correct BUT>>>

The Control Room Knob adjusts the spaeker volume and C-R Phones adjusts Controlroom headphone volume and if you use the AUX send, the AUX phone knob adjusts the AUX phone volume..

And the Stereo Fader remains untoched
πŸ“ Reply