The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha n Series
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude ➑️
It will have some latency, but not much.
So it does have latency like in normal situation when recording with other gear ??

When you say "not much" - does this mean to set the buffersize low, as in REAL low, or how is it working with this mixer ??

I just saw a video from Yamaha that a user uses a Cubase compressor as an insert in Cubase and drives it out on a Yamaha channel. Is this with latency ?? if yes, is it Buffersize depended ??

I cant run LOW buffersize in my Mac G5 2.0 dual running Cubase 4 and 5.

J.

P.S. IΒ΄m confused
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes ➑️
So it does have latency like in normal situation when recording with other gear ??

When you say "not much" - does this mean to set the buffersize low, as in REAL low, or how is it working with this mixer ??

I just saw a video from Yamaha that a user uses a Cubase compressor as an insert in Cubase and drives it out on a Yamaha channel. Is this with latency ?? if yes, is it Buffersize depended ??

I cant run LOW buffersize in my Mac G5 2.0 dual running Cubase 4 and 5.

J.

P.S. IΒ΄m confused
From what I remember reading, the WET function is designed to work under ultra low latency with VST3 plugs included with Cubase 4 & 5. UAD works under VST2 if I remember correctly so it'll be the round trip latency of 4-5 ms if you are working with the ASIO sample rate set between 64 - 128 samples. I haven't tested this so can't say for sure.

🎧 15 years
That's what it is. You'll get round trip latency... which is basically null. If you can tell 5-6 ms then you've got some keen sense of timing I don't have. Besides, I usually don't use anything wet. I eq, throw on the reverb, and compress on the mixer, use Cubase to record the dry feed and then throw the wet feed to headphones. When I need the wet function it's for odd things like vocoders, guitar sims, etc, and I've never had a problem with it.

🎧 10 years
End of November is here, are the new drivers really coming out now? Anybody knows?

🎧 10 years
i have been waiting for months for these drivers, and according to the pdf they released both win7 and snow leapord drivers where due the end of the month,

What day is it?

C'mon Yamaha

🎧 10 years
MONO Speaker for Live Reinforcement?

I tried starting a new thread with this with no responses, so I thought I would try it here ...

I will be using an n12 to record a live event using 8 mics (3 on instruments and 5 on vocals). I will track the 8 channels to Cubase, and also want to have a 2-track safety mix for backup. At the same time, I need a MONO feed to one speaker for reinforcement at the venue.

If I take a control room output using the ST bus as the C-R source, and then jump the L-R channels of the C-R outputs together to send to the single powered speaker, will I lose stereo on the main stereo outputs going to the CD recorder backup device?

If so ... can you suggest a work around? Aux bus? (I want to avoid "mixing twice")

Thanks in advance for you help ...
Joe

🎧 15 years
You can set the output of the DAW tracks to the main left and right, turn up DAW to ST, turn on ST, and there's the two track out.

Set each track to also output to aux the aux, and use the aux out as the mono reinforcement. Make sure you pan all of the aux outs to the left so they are all mono on the same side and you should be great.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm running 6-point-something. I only tested it briefly so far (am using it in my larger practice room hooked up to a PC laptop with Cubase right now) but Play, Stop, Record and the FF/REW buttons worked. But not the Next/Prev Markers and Lower/Higher track select buttons, which are kind of important. All the actual routing works great though.

Also on DP and Cubase I wish it had a return to zero button, but I'm not finding that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmacguy ➑️

Hiya dpolcino

Which version of DP are u running with your N? Do any of the transport controls on the N work with DP?

Mick
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpolcino ➑️

Also on DP and Cubase I wish it had a return to zero button, but I'm not finding that.
Use a marker track in cubase, set your first one at zero. There are two scroll buttons on either side of the marker input button on the N12. You can use these to scroll through all markers in your project or just hit zero on the number pad of your keyboard.
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, thanks, I got that. Was just saying there's no 'return to zero' button persay on n8/12. And the marker locator buttons don't work at all on Digital Performer far as I could see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemontree ➑️
Use a marker track in cubase, set your first one at zero. There are two scroll buttons on either side of the marker input button on the N12. You can use these to scroll through all markers in your project or just hit zero on the number pad of your keyboard.
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
MONO Speaker for Live Reinforcement?

I spoke with Yamaha tech support today ....

The answer to the post I made earlier is that if the ST bus is selected as the source for the Control-Room outputs, and then the outputs are shorted with a Y-adapter from stereo to mono, that will NOT affect the ST bus as it is a completely separate circuit from the C-R output.

Once I looked at the block diagram after the conversation, it was obvious.

Thanks!
Joe

PS ... the n12 is a GREAT piece of hardware. Very straight-forward, very intuitive (mostly), very flexible (takes some experience), and solid performance. At the price, it is unbelievable.
Old 4th December 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
N8 performance update

hey..just wanted to say its been sometime using the N8 now...
everything bout this baby is stable and true sounding...iam on a xp-pro.
cheerz !
Old 5th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A full working week has passed since the date we were told the new drivers would be out.

dfegadYamaha
Old 6th December 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
no due date from yamaha customer services, no explaination either.

probably due when cubase updates and the mr816 drivers are released.
Old 7th December 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Edit: Mid deecmeber
Old 10th December 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosync ➑️

i decided to go with a n12 connected with another n8!How difficult is this setup to be done?

That really depends on each user. Some get it immediately. Others have never done signal routing and must understand signal flow before it makes sense.

I have just completed Graphic Patchbay and Cubase 4 templates for the following.
1: 2 n12s
2: 2 n8s
3: 1 n12 and 1 n8
5: 1 n12 and a MotifXS
6: 1 n8 and a MotifXS

I do not have a simple step-by step explanation of my connections and signal flow.

These templates exceed Cubase AI4's input count so an upgrade to any other Cubase 4 version is required.

Have to buy an other firewire card for my pc or i can connect the n12 with the n8 directly?

You have what you need. Just daisy chain the two.
Please see Yamaha's official web site Q&A on this subject, which as of 10th Dec 2009, states completely the opposite:

Quote:
Q7: Can two n12 or n8 units be connected to a computer to provide extra input capacity?

A7: The n-series interfaces are designed for one-on-one use with a computer. The connection of multiple units for increased capacity is not supported.

I think it's the Yamaha official web site that needs to be fixed, not George

Thanks,
Rob
Old 12th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yamaha Steinberg FW driver V.1.5.1

Steinberg now have updates for Snow Leopard and Windows 7.
New Cubase version and a new Yamaha Steinberg FW driver V.1.5.1.
I bet it'll work with the N8/N12 as well.

Downloads :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net

PS. Yamaha official information, says mid of dec
http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/...d_20091202.pdf
http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/...7_20091202.pdf
Old 14th December 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
win 7 drivers out now

the drivers for win 7 are out now

Drivers and Software | Downloads | YamahaSynth.com

🎧 10 years
Nwe drivers available !!!!

Drivers and Software | Downloads | YamahaSynth.com

yahoo !!!

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Quote:
no need to install the 32 bits extensions for the 64 bits os !!!....need to restart after install....

have fun....

🎧 10 years
Good points
No crashing no more, no more legacy driver work around
Bad points
erratic Asio behaviour
latency figures are the worst they have been since release
unusable with a low buffer as the asio meter is erratic and constantly will cut out

Poor coding yamaha same goes with the mr816 drivers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
whoo hoo

and Snow Leopard

now i just gotta find my disc!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg ➑️
Good points
No crashing no more, no more legacy driver work around
Bad points
erratic Asio behaviour
latency figures are the worst they have been since release
unusable with a low buffer as the asio meter is erratic and constantly will cut out

Poor coding yamaha same goes with the mr816 drivers
I will run more tests but so far I have not experienced any of the problems that you are mentioning....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I wonder if we'll get another couple of thousand problem posts with this driver....only time will tell.

I think i'll sit back for a few weeks and see how things go before i take the plunge.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Instalation instructions seem a bit unclear to me whether or not I can roll back from this driver if it all goes tits up like it did when I switched from MLan to SBFW. Anybody know for sure?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemontree ➑️
Instalation instructions seem a bit unclear to me whether or not I can roll back from this driver if it all goes tits up like it did when I switched from MLan to SBFW. Anybody know for sure?
unfortunately I can't answer this because I decide to take the fresh install approach.....new Win 7 64 bits fresh install and then new Yamaha drivers....maybe this is the reason for your problems Wiseg, a conflict with remaining of previous drivers !!!....anyhow so far so good, Asio is fine even with low buffer, no droup-outs.......pleasant experience up to now...

🎧 10 years
after some experimenting,

regarding hyper threading, well when on and you enable multiprocessing in cubase, this is disaster and will crackle and asio is all over the place.

turning off multiprocessing in cubase, seems to be better but not perfect.

taking off hyperthreading pn the bios so my computer see's 4 cores instead of the hyper threading 8.

performance is alot better, im just tweaking my settings for optimum performance.

the older drivers handled hyper threading alot better, i dont know why?

one good thing is i have not crashed at all since i installed the new drivers which for me was the biggest problem.

now im simply tweaking for best latency at 32 buffer setting.

with hyper threading enabled the asio meter would jump with only a few plugs.

Would be great to see what latency figures others are achieving
Old 15th December 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Everything is ok on Win7 x64. I uninstalled previous 64bit drivers and 32bit extensions (with n12 turned off) then restart, then installed new drivers (with 64bit extensions), - n12 still turned off - then restart, turn on the mixer, and everything
works fine. (firewire chipset is VIA 6306).

🎧 10 years
...still working beautifully without any problem .......(firewire chipset is VIA 6315)

🎧 10 years
Do you think there is any point in me installing the new drivers? I have an N8 which I use with Windows XP 32-bit. I have no problems with my existing set-up and don't want to mess things up. The install instructions are not very clear and I presume I would have to uninstall existing drivers before installing the new ones.

If there was a tech expert with a similar set-up to mine it would be brilliant if they could post a few instructions for those of us who are confused.
πŸ“ Reply