Quantcast
M1 Apple Silicon Experiences in Audio - Page 48 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
M1 Apple Silicon Experiences in Audio
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegaman ➡️
Thanks for this post...I just got the Chandler Germanium Comp thing that wa son sale and tried it...it crashed PT AND Logic on my M1...first plugin I've tried that did this...used 709% of memory...yep thats right 709%...

Turned off OpenGL and it seems to work fine...(great comp by the way)...thanks for the insight here.
That’s great news, glad I could help!

Very surprised Softube haven’t publicised this as a workaround…
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMac1978 ➡️
That’s great news, glad I could help!

Very surprised Softube haven’t publicised this as a workaround…
It seems like the code guys have left the building at Softube...I think they make stellar plugins but support seems to have a HUGE latency problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have no idea in why Softube Heartbeat nor Saturation Knob don't seem to have any issues with OpenGL graphics enabled in Ableton Live 10 running on my MBP. Maybe these issues — what are they specifically? Memory usage and zooms? — are only present in certain DAWs?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B ➡️
I have no idea in why Softube Heartbeat nor Saturation Knob don't seem to have any issues with OpenGL graphics enabled in Ableton Live 10 running on my MBP. Maybe these issues — what are they specifically? Memory usage and zooms? — are only present in certain DAWs?
Saturation Knob is completely unusable on my M1 in native Logic - the UI is scaled to be huge but the window isn't resizable, so you cant actually get to any of the controls.

I need to try Logic in Rosetta as well as the VST version in S1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister ➡️
Saturation Knob is completely unusable on my M1 in native Logic - the UI is scaled to be huge but the window isn't resizable, so you cant actually get to any of the controls.

Using Logic in Rosetta solves the magnified GUI problem for me.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTLAVGH ➡️
Using Logic in Rosetta solves the magnified GUI problem for me.
hi, I am using Logic in Rosetta Mode and cannot get to the Saturation Knob or TAPE to scale down / I cannot get at the Setting to try turning off Open GL or turning it on if it is Off !!

fyi: the AAX version in pro tools works scaling wise !!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister ➡️

Yes, I should be clear on that I'm using the VST2 versions of both and that Live at the moment doesn't even exist in a native version. I think it's likely any native versions of Softube plug-ins might not have the exact same version of OpenGL code. I actually didn't know there existed native versions. Time to update I suppose.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➡️
hi, I am using Logic in Rosetta Mode and cannot get to the Saturation Knob or TAPE to scale down / I cannot get at the Setting to try turning off Open GL or turning it on if it is Off !!

fyi: the AAX version in pro tools works scaling wise !!!
That's odd!
If I open Logic in native mode, I get the magnified GUI.
If open it in Rosetta (by doing get info on the Logic app and checking the 'open with Rosetta') it works normally!

I'm on a Mac Mini, Big Sur, and I did upgrade to Logic 10.6.3

FWI, turning openGL off didn't change the GUI problem. It may help with memory issues though.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTLAVGH ➡️
That's odd!
If I open Logic in native mode, I get the magnified GUI.
If open it in Rosetta (by doing get info on the Logic app and checking the 'open with Rosetta') it works normally!

I'm on a Mac Mini, Big Sur, and I did upgrade to Logic 10.6.3

FWI, turning openGL off didn't change the GUI problem. It may help with memory issues though.
yes, sorry I meant the Memory Issue ... but the graphic issue is a Bonus feature !!! haha

and well, I "was" running in Rosetta .. but the 10.6.3 Update it went back to native .. did not think about the update changing that setting ... so I was speaking out my arse .. !! and back to GearSpace using more memory than Softtube TAPE in Activity Monitor !!!

ah, there we go, back to work !!! thank you Last Lavgh for the Help !!!

ADD: I am also on Mac mini M1 8/512, logic 10.6.3 ..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➡️
yes, sorry I meant the Memory Issue ... but the graphic issue is a Bonus feature !!! haha

and well, I "was" running in Rosetta .. but the 10.6.3 Update it went back to native .. did not think about the update changing that setting ... so I was speaking out my arse .. !! and back to GearSpace using more memory than Softtube TAPE in Activity Monitor !!!

ah, there we go, back to work !!! thank you Last Lavgh for the Help !!!

ADD: I am also on Mac mini M1 8/512, logic 10.6.3 ..
Awesome, glad it's working!
Dor
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just snagged a refurb 16/1TB Mini from Apple refurb store. Can’t wait to test it out.

D
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor ➡️
Just snagged a refurb 16/1TB Mini from Apple refurb store. Can’t wait to test it out.

D
That's exactly what I'll be going for as well. I always go refurb. Always.

R.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quite surprised, Console 1 appears to be working on my M1 with Ableton. I've only had limited time so far, but the only bug I've found is track follow doesn't work. Anyone else using console 1 with Ableton?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarfreak ➡️
Personal experience. Motu M4 drops out audio randomly in Pro Tools 2021.6. Same on Studio One 5.3. RME Babyface (1st gen) works flawlessly on same system.
Udpate. It was a USB hub that was creating the dropout although the Motu M4 was connected directly to the Mac Mini and the hub was only used to connect mouse and keyboard on another port. Removing the hub seems to have solved the dropout issue with the M4 on Mac Mini M1.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's a little gem I discovered with my Antelope Discrete 8 using the AFX2DAW (which is apparently having "performance" issues on M1's... in other words it sucks balls)...

If you pull up the activity monitor on an M1 and check Antelope in the "network" tab you will find that Antelope is sending over a million packets and receiving over a million packets...1.4 million to be a little more clear...over 450 Megs of data while using the AFX2DAW plugin...

Someone at antelope needs to be fired for this...there is absolutely no reason to send/receive over a million packets in 3 minutes of audio...thats not even the Antelope local server...thats the Antelope Deamon/Driver...

WTF????
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone updated to macOS 11.5 and have anything to report?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone updated to macOS 11.5 and have anything to report?
The biggest nuisance for me is that Rosetta needs to be reinstalled after an OS update at the moment and, depending on how your system tries to launch an Intel process, you might not see the prompt. Things will just fail silently until you manually launch an Intel app and ask to download and install Rosetta.

Otherwise I haven't experienced any novel issues.
Dor
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia ➡️
The biggest nuisance for me is that Rosetta needs to be reinstalled after an OS update at the moment and, depending on how your system tries to launch an Intel process, you might not see the prompt. Things will just fail silently until you manually launch an Intel app and ask to download and install Rosetta.

Otherwise I haven't experienced any novel issues.
I'm in the middle of setting up a new M1 Mini and haven't noticed any issues after updating. Cubase 11 and Logic have been running great so far. I'll keep the Rosetta reinstall in mind if/when I run into that issue. So far this computer feels like an upgrade from my 2018 i7 Mini. Running dual monitors feels solid where the Intel iGPU on the older Mini felt a bit wonky with the same monitor setup.

D

Last edited by Dor; 6 days ago at 02:31 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Keyscape gone native.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia ➡️
I can share this did not happen with the 11.5 update for me. I haven't used 11 prior to 11.4 so have no experience of those versions.

So far so good here.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Still hesitate to buy the Mac Mini M1 here x)

I'm curious if Rosetta decrease performances of the computer ?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito ➡️

As compared to native ARM-compiled binaries? Certainly. The performance hit only applies to the application translated by Rosetta, not the entire system. You don't pay a system-wide penalty for using Rosetta. But since you don't get something for nothing in the world of computers, Rosetta-translated applications are inherently less efficient than native applications.

I'm speaking here based on my general knowledge of computers. I don't own an Apple Silicon system yet. When they release an AS Macbook Pro larger than 13", I'll most likely buy it.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
just loaded up 11.5 macOS ... with logic 10.6.3 rosetta .... so far so good ...
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Updated to 11.5 on my M1 MBP running Logic (native), Spectrasonics, U-he, Dune3, Fabfilter, Valhalla (all native), EW Opus Hollywood Orchestra, Kontakt, Engine (NADA & Forest Kingdom 3), Liquidsonics & Eventide (Rosetta within Logic) with no issues. Also running Spitfire Hammers & Janglebox Piano natively in the Spitfire player.

Using UAD Solo (TB3) and UAD plugins with no issues so far as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito ➡️

The wrong worry, as I see it as an M1-user. You should worry about compatibility instead of imagined performance issues. How fast is what you have now anyway?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I can imagine the answer, but I want to make sure, to see if someone can help me:
One of my old macs is a mini (end 2012) i7 quad with mojave, it uses Native instruments KORE hardware (non compilant, it uses an old NI USB driver) as its audio output system. the question is whether the new M1 mini will read the Kore hardware?
thanks in advance
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quick update on Antelope devices on M1:

Antelope has updated the AFX2DAW software as well as the TB device drivers...the FX currently work quite well in Apple M1's Logic NATIVE NOT Rosetta...

So far they still haven't gotten stuff to work under Rosetta so ProTools will not benefit until PT builds out Native instead of Rosetta, but Logic works quite well with these FX.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipirones ➡️
One of my old macs is a mini (end 2012) i7 quad with mojave, it uses Native instruments KORE hardware (non compilant, it uses an old NI USB driver) as its audio output system. the question is whether the new M1 mini will read the Kore hardware?
Any device that isn't class compliant, which the Kore is not as far as I could see, requires an updated driver for use with the M1 Macs. Native Instruments last updated those drivers several years ago so I'd say you're not likely to have much luck. You'll be able to see that the device is connected but won't be able to use it as an audio device.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipirones ➡️
I can imagine the answer, but I want to make sure, to see if someone can help me:
thanks in advance
As @ Lady Gaia said Kore drivers haven't been updated for a very long time. I think I remember I wrote it off as gone like 6 years ago. I don't remember the details. So possibly obsolete long before Apple Silicon. The ones for Kore 2 (2.6.0) I see at the NI site proudly declares "Adds support for Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)"…
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The wrong worry, as I see it as an M1-user. You should worry about compatibility instead of imagined performance issues. How fast is what you have now anyway?
I also worry about compatibility especially video for Pro tools. I heard it doesn't work yet, but i don't know if it's a rumor or true.

I have an iMac 27" 2013.
📝 Reply