Quantcast
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!
Old 18th July 2020
  #1
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!

Hi guys, im new to the forums and a new 828es owner, although i have been an audio engineer/musician for nearly 20 years :P

So i am having nothing but issues with my 828es and i am hoping for the love of gia that someone here with experience with the unit can help me...

Ok, when i power on the Motu it confirms its connected via USB2 and the installation of the Motu Pro Audio software went fine and the Motu Discovery app detected the unit with no issuse, also the Motu Pro Audio Control app works no problems... I can plug my bass/guitar into the Motu and monitor the signal with no issues and the talkback mic is picking up signal, so i im pretty sure the hardware is ok. Sadly thats about as far as i've been able to get...

Firstly - Windows detects the Motu as it appears in playback/recording devices and i can select it no probs, HOWEVER, i get no playback from Windows (Youtube/Spotify/Foobar200 ect...) at all, nothing seems to be getting to the Motu and there is no metering/audio on the Motu and if i change the sample rate from within Windows nothing changes on the Motu... (I have checked and made sure the 'From Computer 1-2' is going to the mixer). Changing the device from Motu Pro Audio to Motu Audio 1-24 does nothing to change any of this...

Secondly (and most importantly) - I am getting no playback/metering in Cubase Pro. So in cubse i can select the Motu Pro Audio asio driver, and when i do cubase seems to see the ins/outs of the Motu and i have made sure the in/outs are active in cubase, but when i do the latency shows as either ?? or 0ms (depending on where you look) and like i said i get no metering/audio when i try to play a session, both in Cubase and on the Motu...

Things i have tried so far are:

1) Uninstall/Re-install the Motu Pro Audio software several times (with a reboot inbetween each step)
2) Try 2 different USB ports, one a USB2 and the other a USB3 (both are on the front panel - i still need to try rear panel ports...)
3) Updated the firmware of the Motu (went smoothly but made no difference)
4) In device manager tried to get windows to update the USB drivers for the Motu (windows tells me the best/latest drivers are installed)

Im really starting to pull my already thinning hair out lol... I have contacted Motu tech support by way of thier Techlink system, but i am still waiting for a response... If anyone has any info/tips/tricks that i could try it would be most welcome indeed!

Thanks heaps for your time...
Old 18th July 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbleak ➡️
Hi guys, im new to the forums and a new 828es owner, although i have been an audio engineer/musician for nearly 20 years :P

So i am having nothing but issues with my 828es and i am hoping for the love of gia that someone here with experience with the unit can help me...

Ok, when i power on the Motu it confirms its connected via USB2 and the installation of the Motu Pro Audio software went fine and the Motu Discovery app detected the unit with no issuse, also the Motu Pro Audio Control app works no problems... I can plug my bass/guitar into the Motu and monitor the signal with no issues and the talkback mic is picking up signal, so i im pretty sure the hardware is ok. Sadly thats about as far as i've been able to get...

Firstly - Windows detects the Motu as it appears in playback/recording devices and i can select it no probs, HOWEVER, i get no playback from Windows (Youtube/Spotify/Foobar200 ect...) at all, nothing seems to be getting to the Motu and there is no metering/audio on the Motu and if i change the sample rate from within Windows nothing changes on the Motu... (I have checked and made sure the 'From Computer 1-2' is going to the mixer). Changing the device from Motu Pro Audio to Motu Audio 1-24 does nothing to change any of this...

Secondly (and most importantly) - I am getting no playback/metering in Cubase Pro. So in cubse i can select the Motu Pro Audio asio driver, and when i do cubase seems to see the ins/outs of the Motu and i have made sure the in/outs are active in cubase, but when i do the latency shows as either ?? or 0ms (depending on where you look) and like i said i get no metering/audio when i try to play a session, both in Cubase and on the Motu...

Things i have tried so far are:

1) Uninstall/Re-install the Motu Pro Audio software several times (with a reboot inbetween each step)
2) Try 2 different USB ports, one a USB2 and the other a USB3 (both are on the front panel - i still need to try rear panel ports...)
3) Updated the firmware of the Motu (went smoothly but made no difference)
4) In device manager tried to get windows to update the USB drivers for the Motu (windows tells me the best/latest drivers are installed)

Im really starting to pull my already thinning hair out lol... I have contacted Motu tech support by way of thier Techlink system, but i am still waiting for a response... If anyone has any info/tips/tricks that i could try it would be most welcome indeed!

Thanks heaps for your time...
Try disabling HD Audio.
Old 18th July 2020 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
Try disabling HD Audio.
Ok - as in via the Bios...? I'll try that - thanks...
Old 18th July 2020 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbleak ➡️
Ok - as in via the Bios...? I'll try that - thanks...
Also make sure its set as default, playback/recording devices, in windows. you are using headphones or monitor hooked to the 828es, Right?
Old 18th July 2020 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
Also make sure its set as default, playback/recording devices, in windows. you are using headphones or monitor hooked to the 828es, Right?
Yeah - when i select the Motu as the default playback/recording device i get no audio on the motu, and i am using a pair of headphones with the motu for now, until i sort out the issues, then i will set my monitors... Using the headphones i can monitor inputs from the motu, bass/guitar no probs - just getting nothing from windows/cubase...
Old 18th July 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
might look at this, it could be your firewall.
http://motunation.com/forum/viewtopi...570728#p570728
Old 18th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
might look at this, it could be your firewall.
http://motunation.com/forum/viewtopi...570728#p570728
Ok - I'll check hte firewall settings and see what happens - thanks for all the help dude... Im going to try all of these suggestions soon and i will let you know how it goes!
Old 18th July 2020
  #8
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Ok - so i had a look at the firewall settings and allowed all the motu apps through both private and public connections and unfortunately it did not help... I also tried disabling the on board audio from bios and again it did not help... thanks for trying though!

The only other thing i can think of is trying some different rear USB ports and see if that helps, although i have read that there should be no difference between the front panel and rear pannel ports, but hey, you never know - stranger things have happened on windows systems lol...

Again, thanks for trying man!
Old 18th July 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
It looks like you have to MOTU Pro Audio MOTU AVB - Routing Grid.

"the 828es’s internal DSP is controlled from a Web browser, in the same way as on other MOTU AVB interfaces"
Old 18th July 2020 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
It looks like you have to MOTU Pro Audio MOTU AVB - Routing Grid.

"the 828es’s internal DSP is controlled from a Web browser, in the same way as on other MOTU AVB interfaces"
Yeah ive been constantly checking the routing matrix and it all seems fine, and even if the signal was being lost in the matrix somewhere i should still see signal coming into 'From Computer 1-2' even if i cant hear it... Im pretty sure its not the motu itself but rather something with the drivers/software/windows, as when Cubase tries to use the Motu Pro Audio drivers it reports 0ms or ?? latency (depending where you look) and i get no metering from within cubase itself...
Old 18th July 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I had all sorts of issues with my MOTO 8A with losing audio after any sample rate change which was down to incompatibilty with my USB3 ports.

Works OK on USB2.

MOTU support were pretty much useless...eventually pointed me to a totally irrelevant thread with people having dropouts on Steinberg interfaces that had the same mobo as me and then gave up responding when I pointed out this was very obviously not the same thing.
Old 18th July 2020 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 ➡️
I had all sorts of issues with my MOTO 8A with losing audio after any sample rate change which was down to incompatibilty with my USB3 ports.

Works OK on USB2.

MOTU support were pretty much useless...eventually pointed me to a totally irrelevant thread with people having dropouts on Steinberg interfaces that had the same mobo as me and then gave up responding when I pointed out this was very obviously not the same thing.
Hmm yeah ok - As ive said i still need to try the rear usb ports to see if that makes any difference... And i am still waiting on the delivery of my Thunderbolt adapter so if the none of the USB work hopefully i can get it running via Thunderbolt, which was/is my prefered method but i figured i run it via USB until the adapter arrives... Thanks for the input
Old 19th July 2020
  #13
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
With the meter button on the frontpanel you can have the meters on the 828es show output signals. Then open the "classic" soundcontrol panel, press test.
You should see the main meters light up. If you can not get that to work i would reset the configuration of the motu to the defaults and try it again.
See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-cpl.png  
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensing ➡️
With the meter button on the frontpanel you can have the meters on the 828es show output signals. Then open the "classic" soundcontrol panel, press test.
You should see the main meters light up. If you can not get that to work i would reset the configuration of the motu to the defaults and try it again.
See attachment.
Yeah, thanks for the input... I tried resetting the Motu back to default and nothing changed... The issue is not getting sound out of the Motu however, but rather getting sound in from the 'From Computer 1-2' inputs, no matter what i've tried so far i cannot get anything to register there... Cheers for giving it a crack though...

I'll switch it over and check some of the rear USB ports later today and see if that helps...

[EDIT] How to you upload a pic? The only option i can see is via a link or website, how do i upload a pic from my PC...?
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbleak ➡️
Yeah, thanks for the input... I tried resetting the Motu back to default and nothing changed... The issue is not getting sound out of the Motu however, but rather getting sound in from the 'From Computer 1-2' inputs, no matter what i've tried so far i cannot get anything to register there... Cheers for giving it a crack though...

I'll switch it over and check some of the rear USB ports later today and see if that helps...

[EDIT] How to you upload a pic? The only option i can see is via a link or website, how do i upload a pic from my PC...?
To upload picture, you click on the paperclip icon at the top of the post you're making. once click on the paperclip, the screen will scroll to an option to Click or Drag a pic from your computer.
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
To upload picture, you click on the paperclip icon at the top of the post you're making. once click on the paperclip, the screen will scroll to an option to Click or Drag a pic from your computer.
Ok thanks - i have included a picture of my current routing - to me it looks ok, but maybe im missing something... I have also included pics of the device setup and the mixer - again it all looks normal to me, but i might be missing something... I dont really think its an issue with the hardware or the motu software but rather some driver conflict or something, but you never know!

Thanks for all your time and effort!
Attached Thumbnails
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-routing.jpg   Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-device-setup-2.jpg   Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-mixer.jpg   Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-device-setup-1.jpg  
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbleak ➡️
Ok thanks - i have included a picture of my current routing - to me it looks ok, but maybe im missing something... I have also included pics of the device setup and the mixer - again it all looks normal to me, but i might be missing something... I dont really think its an issue with the hardware or the motu software but rather some driver conflict or something, but you never know!

Thanks for all your time and effort!
Man, is hard to see anything, because its blurry.
Here a pic I found on gooogle, I dont have any of that motu software, My last Motu was an 828ii. look at this pic an notice the blue dot by the computer or source, etc,,, I think the computer 1, 2 , etc, is for networking.
I know when I went to Dante , about a year or so ago, I had a big learning curve, kind of what you're going through, with that routing.
Attached Thumbnails
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-fromcomputer8toanalog.jpg  
Old 20th July 2020
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Here's another pic of how this may route...? Not sure, just guessing. You should feel Lucky, looks like you're the only slut that has this interface.
This just an example of how it looks as though each input corresponds with its own output.
Attached Thumbnails
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-routing.jpg  
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbleak ➡️
Ok thanks - i have included a picture of my current routing - to me it looks ok, but maybe im missing something... I have also included pics of the device setup and the mixer - again it all looks normal to me, but i might be missing something... I dont really think its an issue with the hardware or the motu software but rather some driver conflict or something, but you never know!

Thanks for all your time and effort!
vonbleak, take a look at this link.
https://motu.com/techsupport/technot...eraudiostreams

In most examples, you will generally only use the "From Computer 1-2" audio streams. This stereo pair will carry the audio coming from your computer (if your AVB interface is set as the primary device for system's sound playback), or if you have designated the AVB interface as the device for your DAW's session.

Expand the From Computer input bank to see each From Computer audio stream, and make a connection between the From Computer 1-2 audio streams, and the physical output channels you want to monitor playback through. (It is generally easiest to expand the output bank on the left side as well, so you can see the individual output channels.) For example, click on the intersection between From Computer 1 and Main Out L, as well as the intersection between From Computer 2 and Main Out R to route your computer's playback to the Main Outs, as shown below.

Once done, when playing audio through iTunes for example, you will see signal activity on the From Computer 1-2 indicator lights and matching signal on the Main Out 1-2's indicator lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-fromcomputertomains.jpg  
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
Man, is hard to see anything, because its blurry.
Here a pic I found on gooogle, I dont have any of that motu software, My last Motu was an 828ii. look at this pic an notice the blue dot by the computer or source, etc,,, I think the computer 1, 2 , etc, is for networking.
I know when I went to Dante , about a year or so ago, I had a big learning curve, kind of what you're going through, with that routing.
Hmm ok not sure why the pics are so small - they should be full 1080p... Anyway i've gone over routing yet again and i really dont think thats the issue (at least not yet lol) as i still should be getting signal coming in from the PC regardless if the routing/monioring is not right... The Motu has a bank of 'From Computer USB' inputs with signal indicators which should be showing me signal present even if i cant hear it... Im not using the unit over AVB/network, but just as a regular USB interface...

Im pretty sure its a driver/communication or USB issue as Cubase wont even show internal metering (cubase mixer) when playing back and the latency is showing up either as 0ms or ?? depending on where you look - so its like Cubase cant communicate with the motu properly even though it sees the drivers and in/outs of the unit...

I have still not tried the rear USB ports yet but i have to try as so far that about the only other thing i can try until my thunderbolt adapter arrives... Once again, thanks for trying man!
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbleak ➡️
Yeah, thanks for the input... I tried resetting the Motu back to default and nothing changed... The issue is not getting sound out of the Motu however, but rather getting sound in from the 'From Computer 1-2' inputs, no matter what i've tried so far i cannot get anything to register there... Cheers for giving it a crack though...

I'll switch it over and check some of the rear USB ports later today and see if that helps...

[EDIT] How to you upload a pic? The only option i can see is via a link or website, how do i upload a pic from my PC...?
Sorry, thought i read something about the main outs.
But you can check the input from the windows controlpanel too, that way you can see if windows gets audio from the interface. Don't forget to check al inputs, because you might have routed it to a different one than you expect.

If you see usb enabled like in the first screenshot you should not worry about usb. It either works or works not, there is no in between.


It's difficult to see on your screenshot. I think i see the outputs going into the mixer, but the view for the inputs is not expanded. Expand the input view and see if they go to where you expect them to be. See the second screenshot for my routing. My mic inputs are routed to computer input 21-22, please ignore that.
If that does not work i would clear all settings and start again, without the mixer.
Attached Thumbnails
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-cpl.jpg   Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-rt.jpg  
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbleak ➡️
The issue is not getting sound out of the Motu however, but rather getting sound in from the 'From Computer 1-2' inputs
In your first post you wrote:

Firstly - Windows detects the Motu as it appears in playback/recording devices and i can select it no probs, HOWEVER, i get no playback from Windows

So, that's solved? If not i would like you to try what i wrote about the windows sound control panel.
Old 20th July 2020
  #23
Gear Addict
 
- Play something from another piece of software (Foobar for example) and look for the indicator dots to appear across the top, hopefully under Computer 1-2.
- In your first screen shot I don't see you sending Computer 1-2 to anything on the outputs side. It looks like you're sending Input Main L-R to a bunch of places though?
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensing ➡️
Sorry, thought i read something about the main outs.
But you can check the input from the windows controlpanel too, that way you can see if windows gets audio from the interface. Don't forget to check al inputs, because you might have routed it to a different one than you expect.

If you see usb enabled like in the first screenshot you should not worry about usb. It either works or works not, there is no in between.


It's difficult to see on your screenshot. I think i see the outputs going into the mixer, but the view for the inputs is not expanded. Expand the input view and see if they go to where you expect them to be. See the second screenshot for my routing. My mic inputs are routed to computer input 21-22, please ignore that.
If that does not work i would clear all settings and start again, without the mixer.
Yeah it says connected via usb - I also reset the routing config back to the default setting of 'audio interface' and did not change anything other than removing channels i dont need/wont use... And yeah it seems all good to me...

And while i appreciate all the routing help - none of this explains why Cubase does not show metering in itself and why it reports the motu's latency as 0ms or ?? depending where you look...
Attached Thumbnails
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-motu1.jpg   Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-motu2.jpg  
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #25
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensing ➡️
In your first post you wrote:

Firstly - Windows detects the Motu as it appears in playback/recording devices and i can select it no probs, HOWEVER, i get no playback from Windows

So, that's solved? If not i would like you to try what i wrote about the windows sound control panel.
Yeah i can select the motu as playback device in windows but when i try to playback from foobar it just sits there and does not play or meter, when i play something in youtube it seems to play but i get no signal indicator on the 'from computer 1-2' inputs on the motu... And when i try and playback from Cubase there is no metering at all from within Cubase itself and therefore again no metering on the 'from computer 1-2 inputs' on the Motu... And Cubase reports the latency as 0ms or ?? depending on where you look...

I have reset my routing back to the default 'audio interface' option and have not changed anything apart from hiding/removing things i dont need/use...
Attached Thumbnails
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-motu1.jpg   Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!-motu2.jpg  
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbleak ➡️
Yeah i can select the motu as playback device in windows but when i try to playback from foobar it just sits there and does not play or meter, when i play something in youtube it seems to play but i get no signal indicator on the 'from computer 1-2' inputs on the motu... And when i try and playback from Cubase there is no metering at all from within Cubase itself and therefore again no metering on the 'from computer 1-2 inputs' on the Motu... And Cubase reports the latency as 0ms or ?? depending on where you look...

I have reset my routing back to the default 'audio interface' option and have not changed anything apart from hiding/removing things i dont need/use...
Once audio streams are enabled in the Computer Setup section, swing over to the Routing Tab of the MOTU AVB Discovery App.

Just wondering if you looked at that link.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technot...eraudiostreams
Old 20th July 2020
  #27
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 
Crappy driver? That being said I will not recommend so many ports over USB. My experience with big heavy things over USB is pretty sketchy and unstable. Thunderbolt or PCIe is a much better solution on heavy stuff, so if you can try the Thunderbolt driver. Update you pc so you can use the Thunderbolt driver. Hope you fix it, but if the problems continue send it back and buy something else that has known (tried and tested) good drivers for Windows. MOTU has a rumour for crappy drivers on Windows and is basically a Mac brand.
Old 20th July 2020
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
i think I mentioned this before, but read this below. So your coming to maybe network, wired or WiFi.

The software that you use to control the 828es doesn't reside on your hard drive. It's a web app served from the hardware itself. This means you can control the 828es on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from your favorite web browser on a laptop, tablet or smartphone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network. Use any web client on any platform - Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android - as long as it shares the same network.
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
Once audio streams are enabled in the Computer Setup section, swing over to the Routing Tab of the MOTU AVB Discovery App.

Just wondering if you looked at that link.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technot...eraudiostreams
Im wondering if my sofware is a little newer/different because i dont have/see a computer setup setion in the Device tab, also yeah i have looked at that but again my setup seems a little different as it describes computer setup section which i dont seem to have...

...There are 'From Computer' and 'To Computer' options in the routing tab however... in which i have enabled 8 from computer and 10 to computer to corrispond with the analog i/o...

Could it be that my unit is in 'Standalone' mode? (if thats still a thing) and if so how do i check that...? (edit) Hmm i dont think thats it as i see the from computer (usb) at the top of the routing page...

Thanks again for the time and effort

N
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
  #30
Gear Head
 
vonbleak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
i think I mentioned this before, but read this below. So your coming to maybe network, wired or WiFi.

The software that you use to control the 828es doesn't reside on your hard drive. It's a web app served from the hardware itself. This means you can control the 828es on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from your favorite web browser on a laptop, tablet or smartphone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network. Use any web client on any platform - Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android - as long as it shares the same network.
Yeah man - i have no trouble accessing the motu software via my browser
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 612079
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 98 views: 37532
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 1 week ago
replies: 371 views: 52363
Avatar for wolfger
wolfger 1 week ago
replies: 57 views: 4789
Avatar for sirjuxtable
sirjuxtable 10th April 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump