Quantcast
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback! - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu 828es major issues - no audio playback!
Old 24th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
I've asked this before, but no answer or you'd try it later Did you ever try another USB 2 port on the back? it will have a black core, where USB 3 will be blue. Or just try any of them, as I've that feeling, seeing how you'd try it later,,,and no confirmation, That you probably haven't.
Cheers Mr Snark lol - Yeah ive tried multiple USB ports, 2x 2.0, 1x 3.0, 1x 3.1 - none were any different from each other - And i never said i had done a factory reset before or that i'll try it later - if anything i just sadly missed that...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbleak ➡️
Cheers Mr Snark lol - Yeah ive tried multiple USB ports, 2x 2.0, 1x 3.0, 1x 3.1 - none were any different from each other - And i never said i had done a factory reset before or that i'll try it later - if anything i just sadly missed that...
that may look like a thumb,,, its not.
Gear Head

Quote:
that may look like a thumb,,, its not.
Rock on dude lol - i appreciate all the time and effort you've put into this man...
Old 4th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Sorted - i had to re-install windows - but now its all good!
Old 4th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorted - i had to re-install windows - but now its all good!
After you get all your software installed, set a rollback point in Win 10.
Old 5th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
After you get all your software installed, set a rollback point in Win 10.
Yeah for sure - will do!

Also, i'd just like to thank you and everyone else who stuck with me and really put in alot of effort and time to try and help me out - Cheers to all of you!

Time to get back to making music!
Old 5th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah for sure - will do!

Also, i'd just like to thank you and everyone else who stuck with me and really put in alot of effort and time to try and help me out - Cheers to all of you!

Time to get back to making music!
Enjoy! vonbleak.
Old 7th September 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
We had this exact same problem... except Cubase 6.5 was reading the appropriate latency.

The computer was accepting the 828ES as a device, and allowed us to do everything but send audio to the unit. We could only play synths through it (and the talkback mic had signal).

Multiple restarts, changing USB ports and scouring the manual didn't help. Everything was routed correctly.

We solved it via uninstalling the MOTU software and following the instructions to the letter:
1. Install the software
2. Plug the USB cable into the device and turn it on.

Previously we had plugged her in, then installed the software.

If this wasn't the true solution, the only other thing we did (contained within the same attempt to get it working) was to change the USB cable - though this had worked with the previous interface.

I hope this helps someone else
Old 4th October 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 4d80fd1
Wow thank you for this thread. I’m on a Mac 10.13.6 and I don’t think I’ve ever had so much trouble with a piece of hardware in my life.

My echo Audio 8 gave out last week so I chose the 828ES because it has all the ins outs s/pdif etc I could have wanted. This actually pretty awful. I’ve been trying To get the audio to work even through the headphones consistently with iTunes. It keeps just going into mono and one headphone cutting out. Forget getting it to work as an aggregate device and push Audio out of the s/pdif.. If it can even do that the manual is unclear and routing software is naff. The software should not be online period. I also can’t get Audio to register coming in.

I don’t even know where to begin or just send it back. No one spends $1000 to be this frustrated.
Old 4th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell ➡️
Wow thank you for this thread. I’m on a Mac 10.13.6 and I don’t think I’ve ever had so much trouble with a piece of hardware in my life.

My echo Audio 8 gave out last week so I chose the 828ES because it has all the ins outs s/pdif etc I could have wanted. This actually pretty awful. I’ve been trying To get the audio to work even through the headphones consistently with iTunes. It keeps just going into mono and one headphone cutting out. Forget getting it to work as an aggregate device and push Audio out of the s/pdif.. If it can even do that the manual is unclear and routing software is naff. The software should not be online period. I also can’t get Audio to register coming in.

I don’t even know where to begin or just send it back. No one spends $1000 to be this frustrated.
Hey there, have you tried doing a factory rest from the software? Which device setup are you using? Audio Interface or Audio Interface + Mixer?
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I’m on the same boat...Mac , 828es...no audio signal inside Live...tried all routing presets . I guess I’ll have to reinstall the application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralinear ➡️
We had this exact same problem... except Cubase 6.5 was reading the appropriate latency.

The computer was accepting the 828ES as a device, and allowed us to do everything but send audio to the unit. We could only play synths through it (and the talkback mic had signal).

Multiple restarts, changing USB ports and scouring the manual didn't help. Everything was routed correctly.

We solved it via uninstalling the MOTU software and following the instructions to the letter:
1. Install the software
2. Plug the USB cable into the device and turn it on.

Previously we had plugged her in, then installed the software.

If this wasn't the true solution, the only other thing we did (contained within the same attempt to get it working) was to change the USB cable - though this had worked with the previous interface.

I hope this helps someone else
Old 12th December 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone else experienced this ? I reinstalled the application and still I cannot get audio inside Live...

What preset configuration would enable automatically the analog ins to computer ? Interface + mixer?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsl ➡️
Anyone else experienced this ? I reinstalled the application and still I cannot get audio inside Live...

What preset configuration would enable automatically the analog ins to computer ? Interface + mixer?
What OS?
Lives for gear

I’m using MacOS! Thx
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m using MacOS! Thx
This below is an quote...I'm not an Mac guy. But I've seen this needed to be done with other DAWs. Might give it a try.

"I had a MOTU device for a brief moment with the same problem. I needed to create an aggregate device in the MacOS Audio MIDI settings app, and then add the MOTU to it.

Then I would choose that aggregate device"
Lives for gear

Thx I’ll give it a try
Quote:
This below is an quote...I'm not an Mac guy. But I've seen this needed to be done with other DAWs. Might give it a try.

"I had a MOTU device for a brief moment with the same problem. I needed to create an aggregate device in the MacOS Audio MIDI settings app, and then add the MOTU to it.

Then I would choose that aggregate device"
Old 12th December 2020
Lives for gear

For some reason in the Audio Midi setup on my mac...the Input sources are all deactivated...but not the Output.
On the Output section i can set levels but the Input section is all deactivated...

Why is that?
Lives for gear

Quote:
For some reason in the Audio Midi setup on my mac...the Input sources are all deactivated...but not the Output.
On the Output section i can set levels but the Input section is all deactivated...

Why is that?
look on page 68. Also look at how to set up.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/motu-www-da...User_Guide.pdf
Old 14th December 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 4d80fd1
Sorry for some reason I was not notified of your response. I did try resets, reinstallation, following the procedure outlined above. I was using the audio interface not mixer. I really tried with the unit using all manner of configurations and even kept it simple, no aggregate device just this unit. The audio just bounced around the headphones and finally out the monitors which I had been aiming for all along. I seriously just sat there not touching anything and listened as the audio went from both headphone L/R outs to just the left to suddenly going out the L monitor. I was wild but I finally gave up. I sent it back and got an RME UFX second hand.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 4d80fd1 ➡️
Sorry for some reason I was not notified of your response. I did try resets, reinstallation, following the procedure outlined above. I was using the audio interface not mixer. I really tried with the unit using all manner of configurations and gave up. I sent it back and got an RME UFX second hand.
I don't get notices as I should.... I always have to hit participated then scroll down to see. Been that way for some time now. Yep the 828es have all kinds of BS going on. You'll be happy with that UFX, I've one of the original, and two of the UFX+, There's a little bit of a learning curve with TotalMix, but you'll love it also (Not at first) but you'll get the hang of it. Guess you could watch some tuts on TM, while you're waiting.
Old 14th December 2020
Lives for gear

Yes, I might sell this unit...tried all things possible and Live won’t receive audio from it
Deleted 4d80fd1
haha after that debacle total mix was a breeze honestly. It wasn't plug and play like the echo audio but it wasn't super hard to figure it out. I did have to watch a tutorial when it came to routing audio out of it to go to outboard and the back in. But otherwise it was pretty straight forward.
Deleted 4d80fd1
Quote:
Yes, I might sell this unit...tried all things possible and Live won’t receive audio from it
I run live with my interfaces as an aggregate device. I was really disappointed because I wanted the 828ES with 2 16As to be my solution to the obsolescence I'm going to face in one OS update on a mac with the echos. But I really couldn't get around it and after checking here and talking with a lot of my friends on facebook others have had similar issues with the audio drop outs or it just not coming through at all.

This is really a shame because this is solid hardware that is built very nicely. I think the OS/Firmware is where the problem lies. I was easily within my return period to Sweetwater so sent it back within a week. I hadn't budgeted for a new interface so this was a steep purchase for me. I really couldn't justify twice the price for a new RME so while I wasn't thrilled about going with an older unit I kept an eye out for the UFX or 802 and a UFX popped up for the same amount as the 828ES. It's really been nice.
Lives for gear

Indeed, I never thought it's so hard to find a reliable audio interface at this price range. Before 828es I used an Audient and it was great...except i needed more inputs and did not want to go with an adat...but...I might just consider Rme.
One thing that I wonder now...is right after the first install I read somewhere that on MAcos...I was supposed to go to security and privacy and accept that popu-up...I don't remember doing it...but could that be the case?!?? I mean the 828es is in the system..all working...but cannot make Live receive audio signal through analog ins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell ➡️
I run live with my interfaces as an aggregate device. I was really disappointed because I wanted the 828ES with 2 16As to be my solution to the obsolescence I'm going to face in one OS update on a mac with the echos. But I really couldn't get around it and after checking here and talking with a lot of my friends on facebook others have had similar issues with the audio drop outs or it just not coming through at all.

This is really a shame because this is solid hardware that is built very nicely. I think the OS/Firmware is where the problem lies. I was easily within my return period to Sweetwater so sent it back within a week. I hadn't budgeted for a new interface so this was a steep purchase for me. I really couldn't justify twice the price for a new RME so while I wasn't thrilled about going with an older unit I kept an eye out for the UFX or 802 and a UFX popped up for the same amount as the 828ES. It's really been nice.
Old 16th December 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 4d80fd1
I know what you are talking about the security settings on the Mac have to be set to accept incoming software from an unknown developer without it, it won't install. Some people have it set to accept anything that they attempt to install so this pop up wouldn't be an issue in that case. If you had the firmware installed and able to ID the machine with the online mixer (which is bonkers, that should be downloadable) then you likely installed it.

I'm not saying there wasn't a hang up there but I installed it correctly. And reinstalled it several times with the driver, then attach the firewire, then turn on the unit etc. And had all the same issues you are reporting. So sure it may be user error but it shouldn't be this hard to make it work. Especially on a mac which is for the most part less fuss.

I tried to get audio in and never got there. But I couldn't even get audio out to be consistent whether using Live or playing itunes. It just kept dropping out of the left monitor on headphones, I couldn't get audio to come out of my monitors except for one 30 second stretch with no tampering with anything whatsoever. It was completely squirrelly, that is unacceptable to me.

I do recommend getting an RME UFX or 802 and attaching a patchbay to double your ins and outs. Or even a behringer ADA8200 or Focusrite Octopre to go along with the ADAT connections.

Last edited by Deleted 4d80fd1; 16th December 2020 at 07:04 AM..
Old 19th December 2020
Lives for gear

Well, solved here. Previous owner of this computer disabled the microphone in privacy and security settings...so no inputs to the daw.
Glad I’ve found it! All smooth now
📝 Reply