Quantcast
macOS Big Sur (version 11): Share your experiences - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
macOS Big Sur (version 11): Share your experiences
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm still on 10.12.6 Sierra lol
Not gonna upgrade to Catalina from all the stories.
Not sure about Big Sur yet
should I just wait...?
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Man this is a bummer. By all accounts all my plugs will work under Big Sur EXCEPT Airwindows. Unless/until there is a workaround, I can't leave these tools behind. I mainly use BSG, some clippers, Spiral, Tape, etc...
Old 18th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj ➡️
They put everything they had into the G4 Cube too, and sold it for nearly $1800. It had 20G. (not RAM, hard drive space it had 64M of RAM. This was 2000) It spawned the Mac Minis in a sense, and was a cutting-edge design much like how the iMac Pro (or indeed the new Mac Pro) pulls out all the stops to do recordbreaking things within… the Intel technology.

Oopsy. Within… two years you'll be able to get a Mac M1 Mini that kills the Intel Mac Pro monster-tower in at least a few real-world things and gets close to it in everything else. And it won't be Mac Pro Tower prices. And there'll be some new monolith made of solid M1 chips, that'll become Skynet

I've been using Apple stuff since the Performa 575. That was a 68k machine, with 5M RAM and a 160M hard drive. It had a CD-Rom drive! You could play Myst on its 640x480 screen

My iMac Pro is TOTALLY obsoleted by the new M1 Macs. My iMac Pro will ALSO remain quite useable for lots of relevant things for a long long LONG time… but it's because of people like me who continue to program for stuff like that. I give Apple… four years before the only XCode you can run on the very newest machines which will not run old XCodes, will not compile to Intel anymore. Four years is a long time, but what I'm saying is that this 'obsoleting' is not my machine suddenly ceasing to work, or becoming unable to do what it already does. What I'm saying is that Apple will inevitably throw it under the bus to force me to buy into the new generation.

Mind you, this is how they DO the new generations. I get that.

It's fairly likely I'll even get into the new generation myself, well within that four years' time.

I'm just saying that you have to be made of money, because they absolutely will abandon all the folks. It's really kind of weird. Macs hold their value incredibly well, and stand up amazingly to years of use, and there are some of us who make an art form out of legacy support, and there are loads of (especially!) studio people who've spent a lot of money on optical-digital ADC/DACs or Firewire multichannel converters, Thunderbolt, etc. That combined with CoreAudio means we can treat the old gear like treasured tape machines: stuff can just work and do serious duty and never be 'obsolete'. All the while, Apple strips away support for those very machines release after release: XCode evolves and casts off the old hardware Apple no longer enjoys.

Means there's two worlds. The old studio rats, with a Studer tape machine and an old G5 with $20,000 of antique digital interfaces that can capture 36 simultaneous tracks all sounding great, are all set never upgrading a thing. And the folks running the Apple Silicon machines get to run 4096 tracks each with 256 Space Designers on 'em, at 192k. And never the twain shall meet…
This point of yours is correct: Intel Macs aren't going to "stop working." They'll work as long as you need them to. Anyone who's grumbling about their machines being made obsolete need not grumble.

You're in the unique position, as a developer, of needing to stay up to date because you use Apple's development tools. That is a tough position to be in, I get that completely. But that comes with the territory doesn't it? Cost of doing business.

For the pure music makers out there; if you just spent your hard earned money on an Intel Mac, and an Apple Silicon upgrade just isn't in the cards for you, lock yourself in a time capsule, make your music, and don't worry about what's going on in Apple world. When the time comes when you might want an upgrade, Apple Silicon will be there for you.

I have one of the 16inch MacBook Pros, and it's an awesome machine. Can it be improved? Absolutely. I'd love to have equal processing power, or greater, with silent fans. Can't wait for the Apple Silicon version to drop so I can sell this thing and pick one up.

But that's me.

And also, f*ck Intel for releasing high end chips that run hotter and hotter and not innovating. Apple is about to embarrass them, and rightly so. I'm all for progress.
Old 18th December 2020
Here for the gear

I upgraded to Big Sur after UAD announced support for it. I'm seeing no issues no far. I have NI, Arturia, Softube, IKM, UAD, etc.
Old 18th December 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
UAD and PT cannot see my apollo twin. Anyone with this problem?
Old 19th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I’ve now seen two different experienced users, both brick an M1. one of them also bricked a hackintosh.
what seemed common in the case of the two M1’s, was they both installed some software, upgraded the main OS one iteration,
then they wiped the drive, then tried to fresh install from a recovery procedure. probably to the previous OS iteration. so it could be that the update, makes the original recovery incompatible, is my current hunch. so that procedure could cause similar problems to non M1 Macs, is what seemed to worry me when seeing those reports.
Old 20th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Upgraded my intel MBA today. If you have UAD stuff, better uninstall before the update. The FW stuff on 9.13 will brick the computer and it needs several restarts before it clears that. Once I install 9.13.1 it all went well. Stuff I tried for a short time and worked:
- LP 10.6.1, obviously
- PT 2020.11
- Korg Legacy
- Pianoteq 6
- Komplete 12
- PolyKBII
- Arturia Prophet and Moog Modular
- Roland UM-One mkII 1.0.4
- UA Arrow

RX8 Element opened but crashed on exit. UAD FW stuff isn’t supported as mentioned by UA in the notes so I lost 4 DSP chips but I never use my Satellites on the MBA, but I won’t update the iMac anytime soon. Didn’t try Retrologue and PadShop Pro as I didn’t have my eLicenser plugged in. Will update when I do.

KA

Edit: Worked a bit on RX8 Element and all is good. Never crashed again...

Last edited by KorgAddict; 26th December 2020 at 08:50 PM..
Old 21st December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cubase 11 graphic Problem on M1 Air BS 11.1.0

Just installed Cubase 11 tryout on my new MB Air with Big Sur. I can only see Pink screens. Looks like something is not graphically taken in charge by the system... Weird...
Old 21st December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have that same issue with Cubase 11. I was very disappointed it doesn't work in Rosetta 2, and knowing Steinberg it's going to be a while before it does, and probably 11.5 before it's Native.
It looks like a few people figured out how to run Cubase under Rosetta 2, but no one really explained it. I imagine you have to restore it from a previous install or something. I tried a fresh install on mine and got the pink screens as well.
Old 22nd December 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Apogee Symphony MkII / Big Sur 11.1

Some annoying issues.......

1. Symphony does not remember last used settings.
2. Freezes up after sleeping. Apogee says sleep is bad......keep it awake.
3. Distorted scratch output sound from Channels 1/2 to monitors now and then.
4. Editing Insert labels crashes Symphony cControl (Documented on Apogee website).

Some others I cant remember at the moment.
Old 22nd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser ➡️
I’ve now seen two different experienced users, both brick an M1. one of them also bricked a hackintosh.
what seemed common in the case of the two M1’s, was they both installed some software, upgraded the main OS one iteration,
then they wiped the drive, then tried to fresh install from a recovery procedure. probably to the previous OS iteration. so it could be that the update, makes the original recovery incompatible, is my current hunch. so that procedure could cause similar problems to non M1 Macs, is what seemed to worry me when seeing those reports.
Unless its changed completely with the M1s, Recovery is just a hidden partition with the factory MacOS stored on it. If for any reason it gets wiped out, the Mac won't 'brick' it will just use internet recovery and slooooowly pull down the OS from Apple. The partition should be recreated if its missing anytime you update the MacOS with a combo update or a fresh install.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata ➡️
Unless its changed completely with the M1s, Recovery is just a hidden partition with the factory MacOS stored on it. If for any reason it gets wiped out, the Mac won't 'brick' it will just use internet recovery and slooooowly pull down the OS from Apple. The partition should be recreated if its missing anytime you update the MacOS with a combo update or a fresh install.
one of them seems to have talked to apple, and got it working. so maybe if that happens and the M1 begins a download in the background, the recovery is just really slow. slow enough at this point maybe, that it looks like it's bricked for a while. or apple are telling them something else and have a way to fix it. we'll eventually find out I guess.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser ➡️
one of them seems to have talked to apple, and got it working. so maybe if that happens and the M1 begins a download in the background, the recovery is just really slow. slow enough at this point maybe, that it looks like it's bricked for a while. or apple are telling them something else and have a way to fix it. we'll eventually find out I guess.
When Mountain Lion came out and the machines stopped coming with discs around 2012/2013 or so, it was painfully slow to use the internet recovery on a Mac when they came in for repairs hah. I haven't had to use it at home ever thankfully. It's probably quicker to download the iso/image of the OS itself and make a USB installer than the internet recovery.
Old 23rd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata ➡️
When Mountain Lion came out and the machines stopped coming with discs around 2012/2013 or so, it was painfully slow to use the internet recovery on a Mac when they came in for repairs hah. I haven't had to use it at home ever thankfully. It's probably quicker to download the iso/image of the OS itself and make a USB installer than the internet recovery.
I found this. not read it yet but it seems to be covering a fair amount of bases.
https://setapp.com/how-to/clean-install-macos-big-sur
Old 23rd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Version 11.1 seems to have problems with many external displays and some local admin setting. Check tech news before updating.
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone know if NI Battery works?
Old 26th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vashuba ➡️
Anyone know if NI Battery works?
With Big Sur on my iMac, it works completely.
Old 29th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Absolutely despise this OS.

Got my replacement Mac Mini today (first one dead PSU.)

Crash after crash, so many glitches and have lost download progress on 11.1 five times now. So weird since I had no such issues with the first machine...
Old 31st December 2020
Gear Head

Finally installed. Getting weird crashes with some Valhalla plugins (like ValhallaSpaceModulator crashes Logic instantly), Soundtoys plugs are having a pretty rough time (all ones with MIDI-control capabilities ones apparently won't authorize: EffectRack, LittleAlterBoy, PrimalTap), and then, worst of all, my Airwindows plugins are showing up, but the sliders don't work -- like they're frozen at values of 0.00 on every plugin, every instance. This is unless I switch the editor to "Controls" mode when I load a new instance. Which is frustrating, because I don't get as much granular control as if I'm using the controls as Chris intended. I even tried wrapping in DDMF's Metaplugin, still no good.

Trying to see if I can find workarounds. But just why. Whyyyyyy.

Note to @ chrisj : My issue doesn't seem like a Gatekeeper thing -- the plugins are installing just fine. It's just once I load them into Logic, I have to switch to Controls mode in order to use them. I've been at it for the past hour and a half trying to see what's up. All I found was a few people on other forums were reporting similar wonky behavior earlier this year, but no one seemed to follow up with them. I just installed and reinstalled your latest Acceleration2 to test and, again, after I bypassed all the Privacy & Security checkpoints, it showed up in Logic just fine. But sliders in Editor window are unresponsive.

I'm just so frustrated. Airwindows is a movement, man -- Apple needs to recognize!
Old 1st January 2021
Gear Head

(And cheers to a new year, everyone!)
Old 1st January 2021 | Show parent
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbabb ➡️
I just installed and reinstalled your latest Acceleration2 to test and, again, after I bypassed all the Privacy & Security checkpoints, it showed up in Logic just fine. But sliders in Editor window are unresponsive.

I'm just so frustrated. Airwindows is a movement, man -- Apple needs to recognize!
But that's the thing. I don't draw the sliders, or handle moving them: the DAW does that and sends the information to the plugin. Everything about them might be working perfectly: it's hard to see what could have gone wrong, and nothing about that is in my code where I can get at it. It's in Logic… and it's in CoreAudio, the fundamental abstraction layer that makes OSX music production the best in the business.

Apple can fix this.

I am stuck waiting to see if they want to. (by stuck, I mean: all my stuff on Mojave and earlier works flawlessly, and I even disabled their authentication-checking thing on app launch so they can no longer shut me down when their own server goes down, as it has once already)

They are capable of doing deal-breaker things that would break my support for them, but that doesn't mean they're going to break it… but they are not capable of responding in a day to something going wrong. I'm still on Mojave and still developing on Snow Leopard for the entire history of Mac DAWs, just about. I didn't abandon all that to code exclusively for iOS, for instance. Well, it's way too early to tell if me and Apple will part ways. Wait and see. They can fix this, if only they want to.
Old 2nd January 2021 | Show parent
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbabb ➡️
Finally installed. Getting weird crashes with some Valhalla plugins (like ValhallaSpaceModulator crashes Logic instantly)
Have you downloaded the latest updates from the Valhalla website? Back in October, we released updates for ALL the Valhalla plugins, in order to be ready for Big Sur:

https://valhalladsp.com/2020/10/13/v...g-sur-64-bits/

If you are running Valhalla plugins and you update to Big Sur, you NEED to update to the latest Valhalla plugin releases. Apple has changed some things in their SDKs over the last few years that were clearly paving the way for Big Sur and ARM Macs. The Valhalla plugins built with older SDKs won't work on Big Sur. The new builds will work on Big Sur.

I just tested the current release version of ValhallaSpaceModulator in Logic, running in Big Sur on an M1 MacBook Air. Works great. This is running in Rosetta2, BTW. We'll be working on native ARM versions in January 2021, and already have an Intel/ARM binary of Supermassive up on the website for anyone running the new M1 Macs.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj
But that's the thing. I don't draw the sliders, or handle moving them: the DAW does that and sends the information to the plugin. Everything about them might be working perfectly: it's hard to see what could have gone wrong, and nothing about that is in my code where I can get at it. It's in Logic… and it's in CoreAudio, the fundamental abstraction layer that makes OSX music production the best in the business.

Apple can fix this.
Does anyone from Apple lurk on this site!? Are y'all reading this??

I know nothing about code to be making jokes about code ... but this MUST only be two extra lines of code. Feel like if David Nahmani was on GS he'd probably go "yeah, wtf".

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello
Have you downloaded the latest updates from the Valhalla website? Back in October, we released updates for ALL the Valhalla plugins, in order to be ready for Big Sur
Hey Sean! I never followed up here -- totally had a facepalm moment when I realized everyone updated their catalogues months ago. My apologies! Everything seems to be working fine now, both with my Valhalla and Soundtoys plugs. I will definitely report back if I see anything wonky.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just got a MBP 16 that came with Big Sur 11.1. So far it's mixed bag here. PT is running really good so far. There's a few odd things like with the import audio dialog box. Mainly having to do with settings not sticking. But it's been super stable so far. Logic on the other hand, seems much more sluggish than on my old 2014 MBP running Sierra. I was still running Logic 10.4.4 I think on that system. With the latest version of Logic on Big Sur, the guy just feels sluggish. I'm having a similar issue with Photoshop being sluggish, although Lightroom is running really good and feels faster than my old system. I've seen some reports of the beta for Big Sur 11.2 being faster. So I think I'll wait until 11.2 is officially released and see if that improves anything. If that doesn't improve it, I'm kinda torn between installing Catalina, or just waiting it out. I would hope that this things would get worked out pretty soon. It's just odd that Logic of all apps is feeling more sluggish than on my old system.
Old 3rd January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

This might be the "Swiss Army Knife" fixall for a host of Big Sur issues. I have posted several times on this thread about the fact that I have been having problems using an Apogee Element 88 and Logic Pro X on a 2018 Mac Mini.

Everything worked fine in Catalina, but the moment I upgraded to Big Sur, I began to experience popping, clicking, ticking—or whatever you want to call these anomalous noises.

I reached out to Apogee tech support and while they were very responsive‚ their prescriptions to solve the problem were unsuccessful. The tech there seemed to think the problem was ultimately one of buffering but that never made any sense to me because the noise never happened in Catalina—even at a 32 buffer setting. Moreover the problem was extant in Big Sur at 32 or 64 buffer setting EVEN WHEN I FROZE ALL TRACKS!

So tonight, I was googling around searching for general noise problems in DAWS and came across an article that suggested what I have always heard referred to as "zapping PRAM." (See these articles re Big Sur in particular and Macs in general.)

Low and behold: After zapping PRAM in Big Sur and booting up Logic Pro X, noise gone—even at 32 samples buffer setting. I have shut down Mac and rebooted a few times—just to be sure—and the noise is gone.

I don't know why this worked—maybe some of you more technical types can weigh in—but perhaps this is a panacea for a host of Big Sur-related problems, audio or otherwise.
Old 3rd January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I decided to update from mojave and did a clean install last night on my 2014 MBP without issue.

I’m still installing software so haven’t done any stress tests yet.

It really feels like I’m using ARM code in an intel shell right now Very weird feeling.
Old 3rd January 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Has anybody tried to run NI Massive on M1? This is very important for me because Massive (classic, not X) is my main synth to go.
Thanks for reply in advance.
Old 4th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
MOTU/MIDI

Has anyone successfully managed to get MOTU's MIDI interface to work on Big Sur?
I thought i did my due diligence and made sure things are compatible, and while everything works fine on my system (Logic and plenty of plugins) the dear MIDI interface is not recognized.

Hoping someone found a workaround, little bit stuck here.
Old 4th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltd ➡️
Has anybody tried to run NI Massive on M1? This is very important for me because Massive (classic, not X) is my main synth to go.
Thanks for reply in advance.
Massive should work fine, Massive X does not, due to AVX instructions. NI is working on this.
Old 6th January 2021 | Show parent
Upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur yesterday. So far everything’s working (U-he, Kontakt, Omnisphere, Pigments and a few others). Only glitch I’ve noticed so far is that Re-pro 1/5 doesn’t update the UI if I use my MIDI controller to change knobs. But the sound does change as expected... weird. I haven’t tried the other plugins yet.

I’ve spent most of today trying to get Boot Camp working so I can play a 10-year-old video game (Portal 2) that is no longer supported in current versions of MacOS.
📝 Reply