Quantcast
Best saturation ITB 2020 edition - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best saturation ITB 2020 edition
Old 15th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Newfangled contains a unique saturator. Sale runs till Jun 1.
https://store.eventideaudio.com/page...gled-sale-2021
Old 15th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 ➡️
Impulse buy. I bought it based on your recommendation and the no-brainer price.
Noticed it requires Aquarius after I purchased it. That’s okay—I have Aquarius.
Not sure about this one. I found it grainy, which I confirmed in PD.

There's some serious ripples in the response too:

What's more, there's no link between driving the Left and Right faders, which is annoying as you'll always split your stereo image unless you match by eye perfectly.

Charly aliases too and I just don't know what to think about Prime Studio to be honest. Think I might just stick with inhouse development (Acustica). Prime Studio also don't seem to stay upto date with the latest improvements to the 'Core' technology from Acustica, as all their plugins are sitting on older Core versions.
Old 16th May 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I do not understand why people insist on speaking about this topic. VSM-3 + Decapitator = Golden. Done.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover55777 ➡️
I do not understand why people insist on speaking about this topic. VSM-3 + Decapitator = Golden. Done.
No thanks to both of those.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️

What's more, there's no link between driving the Left and Right faders, which is annoying as you'll always split your stereo image unless you match by eye perfectly.

Charly aliases too and I just don't know what to think about Prime Studio to be honest. Think I might just stick with inhouse development (Acustica). Prime Studio also don't seem to stay upto date with the latest improvements to the 'Core' technology from Acustica, as all their plugins are sitting on older Core versions.
But the aliasing in that graph is lower than -125 dB. I don’t know if my hearing is good enough to pick that up.
Old 16th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
no One's is ...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover55777 ➡️
I love vsm-3, just like Blackbox, I can't get enough of control over 2nd and 3rd harmonics.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 ➡️
But the aliasing in that graph is lower than -125 dB. I don’t know if my hearing is good enough to pick that up.
Sweet lord, guys, please learn to use measurement tools!
There’s no aliasing seen on that graphs.
Strange inharmonic noise plus some harmonics.
Very strange FR plot (linear phase HPF?).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not hearing any graininess at all in Charleston.

This is very high quality in every respect sonically speaking.

It's $19 at Audio Deluxe.

This is top tier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➡️
This is top tier.
\/
Attached Thumbnails
Best saturation ITB 2020 edition-05onfire1_xp-facebookjumbo.jpg  
Old 16th May 2021
Gear Addict

T-RackS Saturator X
```````````````````
on the day of this post .. 16th may 2021
it be $25 at ..

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/t-r...-ik-multimedia

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
downside :
it's download includes 45 other plugins .. as demos
`````````````````````````````````````````````````
upside :
sounds good
i.e. authentic sounding emulations ..
well .. the push-pull 'n class A tube settings compare favourably to tube hardware here ..
```````````````````````````````````
i've a few plugins .. couple of tube circuit emulations
[ the voxengo tube amp freebees are quite good ]
and various other plugins .. like tdr molot.ge. .. that include a saturation option ..
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
took a chance with 'saturator x' .. as i've their 'space delay' .. which methinks is a pretty good emulation of the hardware
all in all .. quite happy with 'saturator x' ..

it'll be my go-to itb. sat. device from now on ..
save me having to fire up hardware 'n mess with cable routing .. for a while .. ;-]]

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
[ edited to add ]

cpu readings within Reaper ..

'saturator x' oversampling. :

x1 = 0.17%
x2 = 0.50%
x4 = 1.15 %

```````````````````````````
some 'mode' info from the .pdf

TAPE 1: this mode reproduces the classic character and high frequency compression of an analog tape machine reaching saturation when pushed above normal recording levels. It can also an provide a good amount of added RMS and loudness level to finished mixes to make them sound fuller and “more complete” if slightly overdriven. More pronounced gain can provide a beautiful overload effect on many kinds of individual tracks including drums and vocals, and it can also keep the high frequency content under control.

TAPE 2: similar to Tape 1 in terms of typical uses, this mode reproduces a more “Lo-Fi” analog tape response with more pronounced distortion and high frequency roll-off. It can be very effective in creating bold sonic enhancements to individual tracks or stems.

MASTER +6dB: this is a digitally-recreated soft saturation curve that can be very useful when mastering finished tracks to add RMS level and “body” to a somewhat weak-sounding mix. If used gently, it adds a nice shine to every mix. If pushed harder, it becomes more suitable for individual tracks to make them sound bigger.
MASTER + 12dB: this is similar to Master +6dB but with a more pronounced soft-saturation curve to make the effect even more prominent.

TUBE - PUSH PULL: this mode produces classic tube saturation with odd harmonics added by the symmetrical clipping of the Push/Pull electronics. This creates a punchy distortion that can make everything sound warmer if used lightly or with an aggressive edge when pushed.

TUBE - CLASS A: this mode produces tube saturation with more even harmonics added by the asymmetry of the Class A design. When used gently on stems or a finished mix, it adds a beautiful “halo” to the audio that is processed, definitely making it sound more analog. When pushed, the asymmetrical characteristic of Class A produce an uncontrolled distortion that sometimes sounds more interesting than Push/Pull.

SOLID STATE - PUSH PULL: same as the Tube mode, but with the more aggressive character of the solid state circuitry. This mode is best used when transients need to be preserved.

SOLID STATE - CLASS A: same as the Tube mode but with the more aggressive character of the solid state circuitry. This mode adds the same kind of magic “halo” the Tube Class A provides but with a more defined transient response.

TRANSFORMER - IRON: this mode reproduces the very subtle color of iron core transformer harmonic enhancement which features less even harmonics. This mode adds a very gentle and subtle saturation adding an slight amount of distortion. For this reason. this mode is not useful for creative distortion effects and is best used for adding just a touch of color to tracks, stems or finished mixes. Since this mode is not clipping the audio, it can also be used to get a very nice pumping effect from the brickwall limiter when pushed really hard.

TRANSFORMER - STEEL: this mode reproduces steel core transformer behavior. The difference with the iron is that it provides almost equal amount of odd and even harmonic enhancement. This mode adds
a very gentle saturation introducing only a slight amount of distortion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ edit may 17th ]

just a note for Mac users wanting to delete unwanted IK.M plugins
[ i.e. the demo versions ]

do not be tempted to delete the 1.2gb "T-RackS 5.pak" file that's inside :
library > application support > IK Multimedia > T-RackS 5

[ i did .. 'n plugins could not find their graphics
[ and in one instance .. had to 'force quit' reaper

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Kozmos88; 17th May 2021 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: added some info
Old 28th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm not a fan of much itb saturation plugins however the one I feel like does what I'm looking for when I do saturation in the box is fielding Reviver. It just does something great to vocals that need a lil saturation to them.
Old 28th May 2021
Deleted b514800
PSP Vintage warmer 2 beats them all.
Also PSP Fetpressor, if you just use the makeup and keep the ratio at 1:1.
IMHO Psp makes the only convincing saturations.
The others are just fake and unrealistic.
Old 28th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am rediscovering MPhatik from Melda Production. The great thing about it is the wet/dry control and the way it makes the saturated signal follow the dynamics of the unprocessed signal.
Old 29th May 2021
Gear Head

PA Neold Big Al sounds amazing. Fuse Audio recently released Dozer-Drive which is also another gem.
Old 29th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I keep wanting to grab Big Al but I reckon it'll be a while before PA includes it with their $30-50 deals! I don't need another saturator by any means but I'll definitely get that one when it's in that range. NEOLD's V76 is fantastic.
Old 29th May 2021
Here for the gear

I'm just wondering if it always has to be commercial software to do the job. Below is a video with some free alternatives. Okay, these aren't as complicated as Fabfilter Saturn. But I use IVGI for instance and it does a pretty good job. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8NAVFUg6dE
Old 29th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Casanovas ➡️
Klanghelm SDRR2 and I find myself reaching for Live's stock saturator quite a lot. It is quite effective if you chain it and rack it. You can make your own MB saturation like that. I don't use Saturn (1) or Trash 2 that much anymore but when I still did, I often preferred the sound of Trash, for what I was using it for. I've heard a lot of good about the Kush stuff but never tried it.
MB Saturation needs Linear Phase, which Saturn 2 has.
Otherwise, phase-town is possible.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m going to say that I really like the new tone projects Kelvin. Currently my new fav saturation!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like to use Waves' Abbey Road vinyl on the mix buss. I turn all the noise, wow, and flutter stuff off, and use the drive knob until I hear it juuuuust start to round out the kick drum, and I've got it where I want it. Love it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b514800 ➡️
PSP Vintage warmer 2 beats them all.
It's old AF
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks to his very generous summer sale, I grabbed a big stack of Fuse Audio Lab plugins... and honestly, the Fuse VPRE376 and VCL373 are my go-to saturation plugs now. For my needs they're absolutely perfect. Simple, straightforward, easy to get things sounding beautiful.
GSat+

What else? It's free!
Gear Addict

Airwindoes Spiral2 (drive it with X dB's and trim it afterwards for the same X dB's)
Kitplugs Burier (VST3)
ReaPlugs ReaJS (Loser/Saturation)

One can go on and on... and on (these are 3 of FREE ones from the top of my head. and I own quite a few more, PAID ones)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stravinsky ➡️
It's old AF
VW 2 still hangs but hey ain't we all chasing the old sound ??
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child ➡️
VW 2 still hangs but hey ain't we all chasing the old sound ??
I don't know why but I've never found VW2 to sound good.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
KIT Burier- pretty good one. Nice resonant filters included. Works great on tracks and on busses too. Very, very low aliasing. Free.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor ➡️
KIT Burier- pretty good one. Nice resonant filters included. Works great on tracks and on busses too. Very, very low aliasing. Free.
Interesting! Sounds like would be good for creative use.
Thanks for the mention.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pushing the input on the Lindell 50 Channel
Drive on the Softube Germanium comp
UAD V76
True Iron
Tone Projects Kelvin
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Kelvin and Tupe are both standouts for me.
Both bring top sonics. Kelvin offers more immediacy and the unique stereo enhancement, while Tupe can be a hugely powerful sculpting tool if you want to go there. It really comes alive with automation, usually leading to inspiration.

Molot GE also has nice saturation integrated with its gain control.

Spectre and HarmoniEQ are two different but impressive takes on integrating the harmonics with familiar EQ workflow. These are more interesting for me than analog modeled colorful EQs for the most part, despite being more complex in use.

I've bought and have tried many, many more but those are the ones I come back to. The one-knob ones from Kush or Fuse Audio Labs are still great too but I'm fast enough with those mentioned above that I often forget about them.

Honorable mention to Fuse's Dozer Drive, but it's a pretty specific and bold effect.
📝 Reply