new waves server
Even better new server...the TITAN.

https://www.waves.com/hardware/titan-soundgrid-server
Old 9th March 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTiMusic ➡️
Heya folks,
this might be a noob question, but as I could not find an answer to it yet, I'll just ask away:
I've got 2 HP Elitedesk G2 Mini with i7-6700 running the image as explained by krabbencutter, which works flawlessy so far. However, in Superrack it says that both my servers are in Safe Mode. I've already tried the Shift+F --> clicking on the FW button solution. Unfortunately, this didn't work out. The FW button is displayed in blue and clicking it doesn't do anything. Do you guys have another idea how to get rid of the Safe Mode?
I had the same thing, but it runs fine, even in "SafeMode". So I am not sure what to do about it either.
Old 14th March 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

IO Suggestions

Hi all, first off thanks for the effort put into this thread and the level of detail provided by all of the contributors has convinced me to give it a try.
I'll be using it in a more 'live' setting to provide me with some processing on a vocal channel and a handful of stereo feeds. Nothing overly complex (at least not yet). I can pick up lenovo m900 tiny's for cheap here by me and currently looking at getting like 3 of them. One for waves server, one to handle studiorack/soundgrid studio and then a little util machine for miscellaneous tasks that's unique to the setup (might swop this out for a hp microserver if I can find a nice deal secondhand).

Last step of the process is finding IO that's best suited for my use case, I've got a mono line (from a mic channel strip) and 2-3 stereo line pairs that I'd like to do some processing on. Output wise would be the same as input so thinking like a 8x8? What's everyone using for io when not interfacing directly with a DAW/Console with a wsg card in. Can I use a off the shelf interface? Ideally something that's rack mountable but not a deal breaker if it isn't. Thanks for any advice and looking forward to sharing my finished setup soon.
Old 15th March 2022
Here for the gear

Hi everyone, our server shows "Plese press Enter to activate this console". Does somebody has any idea? Here is the output from ifconfig https://ibb.co/tc8RC5j. Greetings Christopher
Old 24th March 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteinke1 ➡️
Hi everyone, our server shows "Plese press Enter to activate this console". Does somebody has any idea? Here is the output from ifconfig https://ibb.co/tc8RC5j. Greetings Christopher
It was asked before on the forum. This is normal. When you press enter you can enter basic Linux commands. But the version Waves compiled has limited commands.
Old 24th March 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamk ➡️
Upgraded and more readable list here :
https://github.com/TheLazyGeekGuy/DI...undgrid-Server

I will keep this updated as soon as possible.
I looked at the github page. Good job. I am missing xeons in your CPU list. You have them in the Diy list. Mainboard brand doesn't matter. You need an Intel chipset, good cpu (depending on how many or cpu hungry plugins you run),at least 4GB Ram (8 preferred and more did not show better results with most testers) And an Intel or supported Realtek NIC. Those are the main 4 ingredients. I got the server running on many pc's now only using those rules. Doesn't mean it will always run great. An old HP Proliant DL380 G5 with dual Xeon quad-core E5450 on 3Ghz (8 cores no hyperthreading) 16GB ram and a pcie Intel 210i Nic, can't handle a couple of plugins and disconnects due to cpu spikes, while a single X5675 6 core/12ht Xeon with Realtek 8111series Nic, 8GB ram, underclocked on 3Ghz (did it for testing) runs way more plugins. I over clocked it to 3.9Ghz, even better. It even beats my i7, 8700 custom rack build. Fun fact, in the Intel press release in 2013 (still on their site but hard to find) they stated that when Waves reached out to Intel for hardware solutions when developing Soundgrid, they boasted Xeons and the 210iNIC.look at what Waves uses. No Xeons.... Too expensive...
Old 1st April 2022
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Maybe someone share Axis series win10 image. I bet some important settings in windows configuration is made in this series PC.
Old 12th April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Waves released M1 compatible plugin for WSG Studio...V.13 now...

Anyone got it running on an M1?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nope.. well sort of. Working in Logic, but ProTools Ultimate can't scan the Waveshells and hangs. Grrrr
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx ➡️
Nope.. well sort of. Working in Logic, but ProTools Ultimate can't scan the Waveshells and hangs. Grrrr
I got it running in Logic pretty easily...and no issues in PT (Vanilla native) latest version on M1 Monterey, I am running the StudioRack though...not sure if thats what others are doing, but it worked seamlessly for me...not a lot of benefit for me though...I'll keep it around in case I get some heavy sessions where I need a lot of Abbey Roads stuff.
Old 18th April 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris Brensons ➡️
Maybe someone share Axis series win10 image. I bet some important settings in windows configuration is made in this series PC.
I would like to too!
Old 30th May 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaiandrei1489 ➡️
I am using DELL R210 II! Xeon 1230 V2 24GB RAM (not so many)
for big LIVE events Intel LAN PCI-E

and Lenovo M93P tiny i5-4570T for little things onboard lan!

much more compact. Bargain prices!
Ready to use !!
both configs are redundant!
How did you got it to work on the dell r210? Did you had to install a PCI NIC? I just bought one and it doesn’t like it, I’m probably doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 14th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Long time no see I've finally put together a server with the old stuff I had lying around from back when I started with the whole DIY Soundgrid obsession.

Motherboard: Asus H81M-A
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
Memory: 4GB DDR3-1333
CPU-Cooler: BeQuiet Shadow Rock LP
Case: Inter-Tech 4U 4088-S
PSU: BeQuiet System Power B9 300W
Case Fan: Arctic F12 Silent

The performance isn't great, as expected from an old dual-core CPU. I can easily load 64+ instances of all the standard plugins like CLA, API, eMo etc. but H-Reverb is a big fat nope. I'll eventually upgrade to a 10th Gen Intel system in the future.

The case is pretty oversized, but it's one of the cheapest rackmount-cases available in Germany. Since it's 4U in height it will easily fit a standard ATX PSU and many small-ish CPU coolers. Should anybody be interested in that case, I can highly recommend swapping out the stock 120mm fan for something better (like an Arctic F12). Since it's a cheap case the manufacturing tolerances are rather loose and replacing the 120mm fan can be a bit of a pain. One helpful trick is to first screw the included self tapping screws into the new fan to widen the mounting holes (see 2nd picture).

Edit:
I got my hands on a Core i7 4770 and did some Benchmarks with both CPUs.
Studiorack V13, 48kHz, 0.8ms, latency-optimized. The numbers are the maximum instances of every plugin before the peak CPU usage went into the red.

Pentium G3258
API 560 (mono): 48x
DBX 160 (mono): 23x
H-Reverb (stereo): 2x

Core i7 4770
API 560 (mono): 118x
DBX 160 (mono): 70x
H-Reverb (stereo): 3x

I find it a bit strange, that the 4770 can only handle 3 instances of H-Reverb. I checked the old Waves website through archive.org and the Extreme server from 2015 could handle >10 stereo instances of H-Reverb with an i7 4970K
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-pxl_20220714_162243790.jpg   DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-pxl_20220714_161539384.jpg  
Old 15th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I wasn't really satisfied with the underwhelming H-Reverb performance of my 4770 and kept digging. Turns out dual channel memory makes a massive performance difference. I was running 1x4GB DDR3-1333 before and after swapping out the memory with 2x4GB DDR3-1600 I was able to run 8 instances of H-Reverb in stereo The actual memory usage of the system was still <1GB and using 2x2GB still showed the same performance uplift compared to 1x4GB.
Can't say if this also translates to newer DDR4 systems, but if you're still running DDR3 make sure you're using two sticks of memory to get the most out of your system
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Since I'm already way past Waves' TOS I've also added a custom WSG-Logo to my server. I need to redo the paint job tho because in my infinite wisdom I spray painted the logo before using cutting oil and a rotary tool
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-pxl_20220716_101626703.jpg  
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVHMetal ➡️
How did you got it to work on the dell r210? Did you had to install a PCI NIC? I just bought one and it doesn’t like it, I’m probably doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
because it is compact, it is a server and not a PC adapted to a server. yes i had to put an intel card pci-and broadcom does not see them. otherwise he works like a god. sorry for the delay
P.S.:in 4 units I have 4 servers and not 2 ... apart from the double card ones which, however, I see them a bit tight!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbencutter ➡️
I wasn't really satisfied with the underwhelming H-Reverb performance of my 4770 and kept digging. Turns out dual channel memory makes a massive performance difference. I was running 1x4GB DDR3-1333 before and after swapping out the memory with 2x4GB DDR3-1600 I was able to run 8 instances of H-Reverb in stereo The actual memory usage of the system was still <1GB and using 2x2GB still showed the same performance uplift compared to 1x4GB.
Can't say if this also translates to newer DDR4 systems, but if you're still running DDR3 make sure you're using two sticks of memory to get the most out of your system
This is still true for ddr4. Yes always use fastest ram you can 4GB x2 always. Ram speed, network hardware offloading on. If you want other tips or help ask me.

I just found this thread. Anyone have suggested hardware models to hunt for? I'll keep reading and help anyway i can. Must get this running.
Here for the gear

Always CPU 100%

Hi

I've an SG Server since 1 year. In a 2HE 19" Rack from unykach.com.
I took a Gigabyte B365M DS3H and a Coffe Lake CPU. I think it was a 4700 and a Noctua nh l12s cooler.

I used it with Waves 10, now I upraded to V13. Works all.

But I noticed from the beginning (also Waves v10):
CPU produces a lot of heat, already when I switch the server on. Means: also when there is no load.

Did you notice the same, or did I make some wrong adjustments in my BIOS?

I hope you can help. Esp. during these hot times.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-img_20220720_103231.jpg   DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-mein-waves-sg-extreme-server-offen.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

How much difference would going from a 4-core 7700k to 8-core 9900k make? tellculvers com survey taco bell breakfast hours
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Elitedesk 800 G5 DM with i7 9700.

This is an amazing resource here, thank you everyone.
Internal hard drive has been removed, and I created the USB key using Rufus on a Win7 machine, but Win7 is not compatible with latest Waves Central. I plan to run from my Mac anyway so I updated to latest MacOS to get the latest Waves Central and V14.
I did the next part of the key setup using Keka to unzip the SGS_13.7.wfs.
This created a folder (SGS_13.7) on the USB key, with 3 folders: Boot, EFI and Version. So I dragged them out of that and into the root.
Unfortunately, I am not seeing the server. Connection Link and Speed are good, but no server found.
This is my first time with Soundgrid.
I am using a MacBook Pro 2013 with Thunderbolt ethernet adapter. Network settings are set to DHCP, which is currently self assigning.
MacOS is 11.6.8, and it looks like it needs to be 11.6.5. Does anyone know how to roll it back? I am hoping it is a just an OS compatibility/permission issue rather than incompatible hardware.
The software icon in the dock has a circle with a line through it signalling incompatibility. It launches on reboot, but won't launch if I close it and try to open it again.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Elitedesk 800 G5 with i7 7900

So... I had to remove the NVMe memory board inside the computer. It was an HP/microsoft thing overriding the boot protocol (usb priority) and it kept trying to install Windows.
Now it boots and the server is working!
Will report performance when I get a chance to test it further.
Interestingly when the server was booting, it went for a good minute or two waiting for a partition... Is that normal?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-pxl_20220802_141722409.jpg  
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
After issues with eBay on a dead motherboard and an i5 processor that got lost in the mail I booted my attempt at this tonight with success. Got a Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PH (1st one I received had a broken 25 MHz crystal, had to return it) with a Intel Core i5-4670K & 8Gb of Crucial RAM and put it all together, working well. Soundgrid studio on rMBP showed the server, upgraded the firmware and all appears good. I haven’t used it in Pro Tools yet, might get a chance today. This motherboard has a Realtek GbE LAN chip but Soundgrid had no issue with it. Thanks for all the info, with a case/power supply & 16Gb USB stick I already had I’ve got right at $100 in this thing (I’ve got beaucoup Wave plugins). Not bad!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Waiting for partition

I replaced my USB key with a new usb3 key, and now it boots much faster.
The server was booting into safe mode, and forcing a firmware update was failing. I had firmware 13.3.
So I used the V12 firmware found on FB group page, booted that, then forced the firmware upgrade. It took me straight to 13.7 with no problems so perhaps there is something funky with 13.3.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTiMusic ➡️
Heya folks,
this might be a noob question, but as I could not find an answer to it yet, I'll just ask away:
I've got 2 HP Elitedesk G2 Mini with i7-6700 running the image as explained by krabbencutter, which works flawlessy so far. However, in Superrack it says that both my servers are in Safe Mode. I've already tried the Shift+F --> clicking on the FW button solution. Unfortunately, this didn't work out. The FW button is displayed in blue and clicking it doesn't do anything. Do you guys have another idea how to get rid of the Safe Mode?
Your approach is correct.. just make sure no hard drives are connected & AFSIK you must boot SG server from USB
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

HP ProLiant DL160 G6

Hello everyone,

Just build my waves server with HP ProLiant DL160 G6

I've attached images on server config before waves can run
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-1.jpeg   DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-2.jpeg   DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-3.jpeg   DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-4.jpeg   DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-5.jpeg  

📝 Reply