The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sad state of DAW controllers in 2020
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleS76 ➡️
I have some previous experience with Cubase but I have seriously considered S1, for the native integration with the StudioLive consoles (not the Faderports because I can't stand their design both aesthetically and ergonomically), and even more for a terrific product called QMap which will transform generic controllers such as the X-Touch or the QCon into a perfectly integrated S1 control solution; however, I had to abandon the idea because I work primarily with VSTIs and MIDI and it is universally recognized that Cubase is king there while S1 is still far behind

----

I really like the QCon Pro X and XS design and how they natively assemble together, but contrary to Behringer their support is near-zero,

So, 2 things:

1. S1 has made amazing strides in v.5. Some say that workflow is more important than the accumulation of features.

2. I have been in touch with iCon and Mixware over a hardware issue this past week. I have actually gotten FANTASTIC SUPPORT from both sources regarding my QCon Pro X. So, I believe the support situation for iCon products has changed dramatically.

Craig
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster ➡️
So, 2 things:

1. S1 has made amazing strides in v.5. Some say that workflow is more important than the accumulation of features.

2. I have been in touch with iCon and Mixware over a hardware issue this past week. I have actually gotten FANTASTIC SUPPORT from both sources regarding my QCon Pro X. So, I believe the support situation for iCon products has changed dramatically.

Craig
Did they do anything, or was they just talked to you?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I Have a mackie HUI and Love it.
As I am an electronics technician, in addition to being a musician and music producer, I repair my devices myself.
This HUI I bought damaged, I did the repair of the BRAIN card and it was 100%, some bad contacts here and there from time to time, some capacitor to change also from time to time, but this is the burden of having such an old equipment .
I would like the VUS to respond like the analog ones, this MIDI reading has latency, it is more of an ornament than a utility, but anyway, it is beautiful and everyone likes to see the LEDs pulsing.
I am currently working on a small interference that happens randomly, when moving a fader, another, which should not, gives a pulse of movement.
There is always a little something to do ... it's part of it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

What was the issue?

Unless iCon blew up their entire world-wide support system, I think it really depends on your location.

https://iconproaudio.com/contact/

Mixware (USA support) to my knowledge is just a sub-contractor for iCon. They have been the USA support since iCon dumped their only USA dealer years ago. (Sorry I can't remember the retailer name, but if you wanted a iCon product, there was only one source in the USA. iirc, it was a internet distributor out of Minnesota.)

In the past Mixware pretty much read a script when I contacted them. I explained the basic issues, one of them being a video of vibrating faders. This was a very common problem, even documented here many times, but they acted surprised. They didn't even suggest the basic calibration procedures available for the QconPro which I later discovered via internet.

So it's good that perhaps Mixware has improved? Should I contact them again with unresolved issues they had no clue about in the past?

I'm not really a fan of Sweetwater, mostly because of their prices, but for me they offer better after-sale support than many other retailers. Note that Sweetwater doesn't even sell iCon gear. There are many reasons, but it makes you wonder why a huge retailer who is noted for their support doesn't distribute iCon.

I remember being astounded how long it took Sweetwater to start selling NI software.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
SiniCon E24 Controller

I know people on this thread are down with controllers and feel that nothing out there really is innovative, but I still wanted to share some images of my new controller which is coming out soon.

I'm please to introduced the final design for the E24 controller from SiniCon LLC.(not the best 3D renderings, but I'm just learning this new software. So I did my best)

Hope you like it.
Gear Nut

Looks great! I like the knobs, they look like they can be precisely turned and worked with.
Gear Nut

What are the dimensions? When will it be available? Can you please post again the link to the video I think you had previously posted many many pages ago in this thread, or a newer video showing this version and how it works.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudio ➡️
What are the dimensions? When will it be available? Can you please post again the link to the video I think you had previously posted many many pages ago in this thread, or a newer video showing this version and how it works.
Thank you for you interest.

The size is about 11" (277mm) wide x 9-1/4" (234mm) deep. The front is about 1" (25.6) tall and the back is 1-11/16" (42mm) tall.

As for availability, as soon as I have a working prototype of the 2nd version, I'll start taking orders and ordering all parts be made for those orders. I'm thinking in 3 weeks or so.

You can find a video of me using the 1st prototype on my website:
https://sinicon.io/development.html

you can just click on the video next to the title "Testing Beta Firmware with an FX"

This new prototype is still not assembled. These are 3D renderings of the design. All parts have been ordered and as soon as I have it assembled and operational, I'll be creating videos to show it working.
Gear Nut

Thank you for the information! Looking forward to seeing a video of the working prototype of this version. Good luck with the project. Do you have a target price in mind yet?
Gear Nut

PS studio one user here so hope you come out with something do use this with studio One.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone have any thoughts on the CC121 for Cubase in today's market?
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
Anyone have any thoughts on the CC121 for Cubase in today's market?
It is a nice hardware, good quality. But it is build for a vintage cubase. Cubase mixer have got a lot of new features that is not covered with the CC121. The unit they sell, are they build today or do they have sock pile of NOS units?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace ➡️
It is a nice hardware, good quality. But it is build for a vintage cubase. Cubase mixer have got a lot of new features that is not covered with the CC121. The unit they sell, are they build today or do they have sock pile of NOS units?
Yeah - considering Steinberg have partnered with Yamaha for a while now, I would have thought they would have released a new DAW Controller. Maybe a new one is in the works or perhaps they don't think it is a money maker.
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
Yeah - considering Steinberg have partnered with Yamaha for a while now, I would have thought they would have released a new DAW Controller. Maybe a new one is in the works or perhaps they don't think it is a money maker.
They have the Nuage. But that one also seems to be outdated now with Apple has very limited video outputs on the Arm based Macs. Apple might change that but it will change lot of the things that make the M1 good.
Gear Head

Quote:
So, 2 things:

Craig
Thank you, great to hear on both!!
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I don't know if it's considered a legitimate DAW controller but I'm using a Slate Raven. It's the 1st gen model so I'm worried that it won't be supported in the future. A bigger concern is that I only know 5% of what it does. There's a lot to learn and not enough time for a hobby producer.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyP702 ➡️
I don't know if it's considered a legitimate DAW controller but I'm using a Slate Raven. It's the 1st gen model so I'm worried that it won't be supported in the future. A bigger concern is that I only know 5% of what it does. There's a lot to learn and not enough time for a hobby producer.
It is a perfectly legitimate DAW controller IMHO, however it doesn't provide tactile feedback which for some (including myself) is key, so, even if it was perfectly integrated with any one DAW (and it's not) it would not tick all the boxes for me
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleS76 ➡️
It is a perfectly legitimate DAW controller IMHO, however it doesn't provide tactile feedback which for some (including myself) is key, so, even if it was perfectly integrated with any one DAW (and it's not) it would not tick all the boxes for me
I miss my old Blackberry tactile phone from a decade ago for this reason lol. Everything is touch screen now and it's not always better ime.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch ➡️
I know people on this thread are down with controllers and feel that nothing out there really is innovative, but I still wanted to share some images of my new controller which is coming out soon.

I'm please to introduced the final design for the E24 controller from SiniCon LLC.(not the best 3D renderings, but I'm just learning this new software. So I did my best)
Looks very interesting.
Where can I follow the development of this product?
EDIT: Here apparently https://sinicon.io/development.html :-)
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortone ➡️
Looks very interesting.
Where can I follow the development of this product?
EDIT: Here apparently https://sinicon.io/development.html :-)
Hi Oortone,

Thank you for your kind words. You can certainly follow on my website, but if you wanted to read everything that went into developing the product, you can check that on this thread at Reaper Forum.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=237950

It's a long thread, but definitely has all the development steps, thoughts, problems and solutions.
📝 Reply