Do I need a Mac Pro 2019? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do I need a Mac Pro 2019?
Old 28th December 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Do I need a Mac Pro 2019?

Do I need a Mac Pro 2019? I always love the idea of the lastest best fasted tech. But gosh, that price...

Or is my Mac Pro 2013 good enough for years to come...

At what point will my Mac Pro 2013 start to choke out for Logic?

At what point will my Mac Pro 2013 start to choke out for monster sample libraries - or is that just a matter of having more memory and more SSDs?
Old 28th December 2019
Deleted fe72b38
Yes.
Old 28th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're system is meeting your needs, keep it. If you are feeling the limitations, then upgrade. No need to spend on a computer until you need to.
Old 28th December 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I am wondering if the Mac 2019 is actually overkill for music production.

I have not seen my computer buckle yet.
Old 29th December 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Not sure what processor it uses. I’d check cpu.userbenchmark.com and look at the single core and 64 core benchmarks. There’s some new Ryzen chips that score high in both.
Old 29th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just did my first music video on the mac pro - F A S T - rendered in seconds (no afterburner card) (16 core) exported a five minute video - transcoding about - three minutes -AMAZING = the best computer I've ever had
Old 29th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're in Audio, it's better to wait for Apple to deliver an alternative.
If you're in Video, then you need it.
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yes, I think you are correct. I am going to wait a bit before seriously considering.

However, I doubt there will be serious consideration for audio guys.
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

If you’re talking about the Mac Pro 6,1 2013 that is still a very competitive machine. I don’t plan to upgrade from mine (12 cores) for several good years to come. No performance bottlenecks whatsoever, it flies where my previous 5,1 four cores choked. Of course Apple could at some point throw in a new OS that will purposely make the 6,1 obsolete, that is the way they operate, but I doubt that that is going to happen soon.
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by piano ➡️
or is that just a matter of having more memory and more SSDs?
The 2013 Mac Pro came with 6 to 12 core CPUs. You can upgrade up to 64gb of Ram and you can get a 2 TB blade SSD at OWC. Then use the Thunderbolt 2 ports for external storage drives. You will be good to go through the next 2 years - although with Catalina architecture changes it's hard to tell how long anything older than 2018 is going to last.
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From what I have seen reported so far, the MP is an absurdity for anyone other than high end graphic/video production houses that use heavy rendering.
Old 30th December 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you got the money and can spend it.

Who cares?
Old 30th December 2019
TNM
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do I need a Mac Pro 2019? I always love the idea of the lastest best fasted tech. But gosh, that price...

At what point will my Mac Pro 2013 start to choke out for Logic?

At what point will my Mac Pro 2013 start to choke out for monster sample libraries - or is that just a matter of having more memory and more SSDs?
It 100% depends on what sort of music you make, what sort of effects you use, and how many VI's you use.. and believe it or not, what type..

check the last few pages of the mac pro thread, there are some eye opening tests results.. basically.. an 8 core MacBook is killing the 16 core mac pro using something like diva (single core performance) and the 16 core mac pro would destroy in large track counts with effects and using sample based synths like alchemy.. That's the rough conclusion atm, but still more testing to be done.

In windows, the NMP is pushing about 20 watts more and getting about 15% better performance.. so we are hoping Apple update OSX to stop the turbo speed fluctuations.

For me personally, it is absolutely the wrong machine to get if I plan to sell some hardware synths and replace them with software VA's as the single core performance is below par.. Your needs could be entirely different but it really does depend on those needs whether the outlay is worth it for you.

For example, say you want to use hardcore VI's.. well, then I say wait for the standard 10 core iMac next year, the 9900K replacement.

I want to give you an example.. I have designed a test using U-HE diva..

the NMP 16 core gets 6 instances, my 8 core iMac pro gets 6 instances, my macbook pro 16" gets 15 instances.

The 28 core mac pro will likely get 6 instances.

It's because each instance of Diva is pushing each logical core to it's absolute max in the Xeons, and every time the DAW puts the next one on a new logical core, it also adds a smidgen to the other cores used thus far.. with the MacBook pro, there is more performance per core = more headroom and it can load 1 diva per logical core (15 in Logic, but logic always leaves one core free in case you arm a track).. so, 15 out of 16 logical cores in the 8 core macbook pro.

If Apple allowed the mac pro to operate at it's max turbo speed under load, it wouldn't be an issue. This is a very particular niche test but it shows how really heavy algorithmic, non sample based VI's will perform on Xeons. The iMac pro line and mac pro line are basically the same single core performance and settle at the same speeds under load.. no matter the core count.. even the base 8 core drops to it's base clock of 3.5ghz under load in the NMP.
The 9900K iMac is killing all mac pros tested so far, and my MacBook, in this test.

In bootcamp on the iMac pro, i get double the score, cause the speed of the chip doesn't fluctuate from it's top speed, so it's able to do more of them and almost load all 16 logical cores. I believe the mac pro in bootcamp will be the same
(the 8 core mac pro in bootcamp gets 4000 in cinebench 20 vs 3600 in OSX, just an example. It will translate to audio).

This all means nothing if your needs require more cores and less speed.. so.. let's hear a bit more about those.
Old 30th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM ➡️
I basically.. an 8 core MacBook is killing the 16 core mac pro using something like diva (single core performance) and the 16 core mac pro would destroy in large track counts with effects and using sample based synths like alchemy.. That's the rough conclusion atm, but still more testing to be done.

the NMP 16 core gets 6 instances, my 8 core iMac pro gets 6 instances, my macbook pro 16" gets 15 instances.

The 28 core mac pro will likely get 6 instances.

It's because each instance of Diva is pushing each logical core to it's absolute max in the Xeons, and every time the DAW puts the next one on a new logical core, it also adds a smidgen to the other cores used thus far.. with the MacBook pro, there is more performance per core = more headroom and it can load 1 diva per logical core (15 in Logic, but logic always leaves one core free in case you arm a track).. so, 15 out of 16 logical cores in the 8 core macbook pro.
I see things have not much changed since the Mac Pro 2013 version. Several plug in instruments are not set up for multi core use so single core performance is important.

This was why I went with the 6 Core Mac Pro 2013 back in 2014.

Is Kontakt the only sample player to use multi core processing?

It seems just a matter of these Plug In creators to write software to actually use the multi cores. WHY don't they fix this? Otherwise, we just have a bottlenck on speed use.
Old 30th December 2019 | Show parent
TNM
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I see things have not much changed since the Mac Pro 2013 version. Several plug in instruments are not set up for multi core use so single core performance is important.

This was why I went with the 6 Core Mac Pro 2013 back in 2014.

Is Kontakt the only sample player to use multi core processing?

It seems just a matter of these Plug In creators to write software to actually use the multi cores. WHY don't they fix this? Otherwise, we just have a bottlenck on speed use.
Diva does indeed use multiple cores.. Dune 3 does too.. I am sure quite a few samplers do.. But that causes a conflict with your DAW's own multi processing if you use a lot of instances and have a project where your DAW is loading all the cores heavily.. Yeah.. 1 diva.. absolutely.. pop it into multicore mode.. I can play it in multicore at 32 buffer on the iMac pro, all 16 voices.. but when you want to use 3 or 4 divas, better to let your DAW handle the loading.

With kontakt, I always found that Pro Tools has much better performance with Kontakt's own multi processing OFF.. but i have projects where pro tools is using close to 90% of the real cpu.. so where is Kontakt, which is using a multi core process *outside* the DAW, going to find the actual processing power to do so?

So you went for the 3.5ghz to have the best single core performance, but what you may have not realised, is besides the 12 core, the 6, 8 and 10 core (owc upgrade) have the same single core performance in OSX.. They all end up at about the same speed under load.. the way OS X works, especially currently, is wildly fluctuating the turbo speeds of all the processors even under heavy load when they should be stable speeds (cause the thermal temperatures when this happens are absolutely fine, or even low) and the cpu's are not able to sustain their intel rated all core turbo, but in windows they can. With my iMac pro, in windows i was able to set the high performance power mode, and it never, ever dropped under the max speed of 3.93 ghz,..not even just browsing the web.. of course, it never went over 60 degrees.. so there is no reason for apple to be doing this in OSX, especially with the superb thermals of the new mac pro.

We can only hope for an update to OSX itself, but right now, in a nutshell, there is power limit throttling, which is entirely different to thermal throttling.

ANY of the new mac pro will give you the same single core performance, no matter how many cores you choose..but when we compare them to other computers, we are doing so to current cpus.. not ones from 2013.. ANY of the NMP choices will thrash your 6 core trashcan in both single and multi core.. by quite a large magnitude... You'll see about a 35% increase in how many plugins/VI polyphony you can run per core, minimum..and if you use Logic there is heavy AVX 512 optimisation.. things like Alchemy will work great. Things like Dune 3 and Legend.. will work great.. Kontakt should work great.. we already know omnisphere works brilliantly on them as Ben did an 80 instance omnisphere test on the 16 core...Things like Diva and other really CPU heavy VA synths.. well.. you'll be able to play it at highest quality especially if you use Logic, as one core is always reserved to play a VI at low buffer, but if you want to use more than one, you'll need to freeze tracks as you go along, cause they are a bit too much for the xeons to handle a lot of.

So if you are wondering whether you'll see an improvement.. of course..yes.. it will be huge.. and if you are used to the 6 core. going to something like the 12 core will give you about 2.5x performance overall (if you use logic, reaper, or Pro tools.. i can not comment on other DAWs and how well they are working with multithreading on the NMP right now).

Is there something in particular that struggles on your current computer, that you want to know if it will work well on the NMP?
BTW, an iMac 8 core (not the iMac pro) with the 9900K inside is a great DAW machine right now, much cheaper than the other apple desktops, and will give you a big bump over the 6 core trashcan.. *especially* in single core.
📝 Reply