Quantcast
Controller for uad console - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Controller for uad console
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Controller for uad console

I just got an apollo 8 and am looking to possibly ditch my digital mixing board. wondering if there is a usb controller for the console application? Something like the x-touch would be good, but not sure if console supports it. It has mackie control and hui presets.

I'm thinking I would switch between using the x-touch to control logic mixer and uad mixer.

Anyone doing this?
Old 5th August 2019
Deleted 479f434
Console 1
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some UAD work with the Softube Console-1 see if the plugs you like are on the list of compatible plugs.
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm actually hoping to control the console mixer itself. Doesn't look like uad has implemented this capability.
Old 5th August 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg ➑️
I'm actually hoping to control the console mixer itself. Doesn't look like uad has implemented this capability.
I haven't seen anyone do it so I too would guess controllers aren't supported.

I would however rethink doing it to begin with if I was you. Controlling two mixers is simply doubling the places you have to check for things having potentially gone wrong and doubling the places where you need to save setups etc.

I've always found that leaving that part alone as much as possible is easier. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your goals though.
Old 5th August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➑️
I haven't seen anyone do it so I too would guess controllers aren't supported.

I would however rethink doing it to begin with if I was you. Controlling two mixers is simply doubling the places you have to check for things having potentially gone wrong and doubling the places where you need to save setups etc.

I've always found that leaving that part alone as much as possible is easier. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your goals though.
To be honest, I'm not sure what my desired workflow is with the apollo. I currently have s dm3200 digital mixer and apollo working together as an aggregate device. The dm gives me hands on faders which i mainly use for monitoring levels. If someone is tracking through the dm i can adjust it's levels without clicking in a computer screen.

I'm now thinking i maybe could control the logic mixer with a usb device. I'm not sure if i can set up a mixer panel with the virtual outputs to apollo which would always be active for an external device. If not, then i don't see a functional work flow.

In terms of controlling logic mixer and console with the same device... I actually think that would be ideal for me. If I could just click a button on the USB mixer which would switch between the logic and uad console.

Wondering if I can ditch the dm and just have a little usb mixer in front of me.
Old 6th August 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
FYI - Console 1 can act as a controller for the UAD Console interface: Just press Shift + Mode on Console 1 to switch the display and functionality to show the UAD Console
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JED HRMC ➑️
FYI - Console 1 can act as a controller for the UAD Console interface: Just press Shift + Mode on Console 1 to switch the display and functionality to show the UAD Console
Ahh. Now I uderstand the prior post that said "console 1"...Thought they were talking about aud console software v1.

The softube console looks awesome for plugin control. I don't think I would like it for fader control. It seems like if any company were to make a mix interface for uad it would be softube. For now I think I need to set my dm3200 in hui mode and see how that interacts with logic mxer and uad console.

Thanks for the input!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg ➑️
Ahh. Now I uderstand the prior post that said "console 1"...Thought they were talking about aud console software v1.

The softube console looks awesome for plugin control. I don't think I would like it for fader control. It seems like if any company were to make a mix interface for uad it would be softube. For now I think I need to set my dm3200 in hui mode and see how that interacts with logic mxer and uad console.

Thanks for the input!
No probs.... Actually I use console 1 along with a Faderport 8. Between the two, it's almost like using a real console. The think I really like about Console 1 is that you can use tw hand manipulate several parameters once, versus 1 at a time with the mouse.
Old 7th August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JED HRMC ➑️
No probs.... Actually I use console 1 along with a Faderport 8. Between the two, it's almost like using a real console. The think I really like about Console 1 is that you can use tw hand manipulate several parameters once, versus 1 at a time with the mouse.
Sounds like a nice setup. I have been trying to create a logic template that would work well with the uad console/apollo and am kind up running into a wall here.

I mainly work to picture. My clients send me quicktime movies with dialogue+nat sound panned hard left and tem music hard right. I route the qt outputs to a two channels on my physical mixer (1+2). My logic mains go to channels (3+4) My click goes to (5-6).

I can very easily and often turn up/down the control room click, logic outputs, temp music, dialogue, or balance any of it with incoming recording channels.

I need all of my monitor space for logic and the qt playback, so I really can't keep clicking the console mixer. I tried to approximate this setup with console and so far have my click, quicktime channels, and logic outputs routed to separate virtual channels on the console. Where I am stuck is how to control that from logic.

The click and logic outputs are fine. Just can't wrap my head around the qt playback controls. I created a couple of aux channels with the console virtual channes inputting there. Not sure where to output them though. I don't want to send them to my logic outputs, as I will inadvertently print them I'm sure. Currently I'm sending them back to another virtual channel in console and muting the source virtual channels. Seems convoluted though.

This is why a bank of 8 simple faders that I could lock to the console app would be very helpful.

Last edited by quincyg; 7th August 2019 at 03:11 AM..
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm still trying to figure out a way to control console. I really can't believe there is no hui or mackie controller integration.

It's just not practical for me to click around on screen instead of tactile control.

I looked at softube console 1 fader. After reading anything I could find on it and watching a few videos I still can't tell what the hell it is. Does it even control the faders in uad console? I think they want you to install a central station software that sits in between uad console. Very strange and confusing. Sounds like a nightmare.
Old 10th March 2020
Here for the gear

I believe the console 1 setup described will give you what you are looking for. It can control UAD console and any DAW as a plug in it’s inserted as a VST I believe and controlled that way. There is a sweet water tutorial on it that explains what is going on with it pretty well.
The way it’s described is if you are running it with UAD plugins it will bridge the gap so to speak between the digital and analog world.

Last edited by Brianvillage5; 10th March 2020 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: To add on to my rambling lol
Old 10th March 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Console one doesn't look like a reasonable solution. You have to install a kind of bridge software and install softrube plugin on every channel.
Uad is releasing a daw. They have to have the ability to program the console for midi control.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This guy cracked the code. App that lets you map pretty much anything in console to any controller. I'm ecstatic!

https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...1#post14902918
Old 8th September 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey guys, sorry to be that late , but you'll may be happy to know that the new Fader one from softube (9 automated faders) will control UAD console like a normal mixing desk if you activate the Apollo central mode.

I use it every alongside my softube console 1 and it's mind blowing...
Easy, quick and transparent.

Hope this help.
πŸ“ Reply