The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Serum VSTi vs Pigments VSTi, any thoughts?
Old 2nd July 2019
Gear Addict

I got to hear the VPS Avenger, and it sounds quite good. I didn't know this existed. Seems to much to EDM but it sounds great.
Old 2nd July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east ➑️
Seems to much to EDM but it sounds great.
That's a fair point - there's a disproportionate focus on dance music in the factory library, though there are plenty of other sounds that are good. Their expansion packs are more varied, and very good from what I hear, but also expensive.

It's an exceptional playground for a sound designer, but Vengeance did seem to build their brand on EDM so that influenced their factory content I'm sure.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzia ➑️
That's a fair point - there's a disproportionate focus on dance music in the factory library, though there are plenty of other sounds that are good. Their expansion packs are more varied, and very good from what I hear, but also expensive.

It's an exceptional playground for a sound designer, but Vengeance did seem to build their brand on EDM so that influenced their factory content I'm sure.
This is just me. When l listen to a synth it has to capture my focus on the genre of music l do. RnB, HipHop, Trap/HH, Pop Music. If I can't hear the elements for those genres then most likely I won't purchase. I gave it a fair listen. This was my last Synth to buy and I had to do it right.

I'm loving Serum, it's so easy to use and I get from point A to B quickly. I think the sounds in it are universal, plus it has a lot of 3rd party preset banks to chose from, and... INEXPENSIVE! So if you're telling me VPS xpansions are expensive that kills the love for it too. Same with Pigments, it's geared towards EDM, though it was cheaper ($99) for me, I went with the $189 because it was to my liking and it's for me.

Thanks though.
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear
I have pigments but it seems that serum and pigments are complimentary so this week I am going to get serum too.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles ➑️
I have pigments but it seems that serum and pigments are complimentary so this week I am going to get serum too.
That sounds like a great idea, I was going to do that, but I have:
1. Omnisphere 2
2. Nexus 2
3. Sylenth
4. Serum
5. Khordz
6. Flow Motion
7. Reason's overkill of sounds from hardware synths to Refills
8. HydroNexus
9. Hybrid 3
10. Xpand 2
11. Loom
12. Riser
13. Eastwest Complete Composer
14. True Pianos
15. Mini Grand
and a few more. Some will say I am way over, overkill LOL hahahah But it's not, I am ready for anything! Be it, Orchestral, to HipHop! Serum just put me in the control panel so I can sound design some goodness.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Addict

Holly crap, I didn't know:
". If you didnt know, Serum OSCILATORS can read pictures and turn them into sound!!" WTF

That's sick!
Old 3rd July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Holly crap, I didn't know:
". If you didnt know, Serum OSCILATORS can read pictures and turn them into sound!!" WTF

That's sick!
LOL

that's awesome. Harmor has been doing this for a long, long time but I had no idea it was added to serum

I wonder if that means serum can also do sample resynthesis now... I gotta play around with this. Pretty much been ignoring Serum since Avenger came out 2 years ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
LOL

that's awesome. Harmor has been doing this for a long, long time but I had no idea it was added to serum

I wonder if that means serum can also do sample resynthesis now... I gotta play around with this. Pretty much been ignoring Serum since Avenger came out 2 years ago
I don't know what Harmor is but taking a pic and making a sound with it is some next level ish. I had no idea this existed.
I gotta get into this. How the F*** did they do that?
Gear Addict

Quote:
LOL

Here you go. I have a bunch of pics from off line and just drag and drop into the OSC-A or B. That is crazy!

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't know what Harmor is but taking a pic and making a sound with it is some next level ish. I had no idea this existed.
I gotta get into this. How the F*** did they do that?
It's got to do with spectral information, it's essentially a feature of additive synthesis.

You know when you see a spectrogram on an analyzer? not the standard analyzer, but the ones that look like infrared heat vision? Harmor (and I guess Serum) can take a photo and treat it like it's spectral information. Basically X axis is time, y axis is frequency content going low to high, and brightness is the amplitude at a given XY point.

Knowing that might help you predict what kind of sound is gonna come out. Theoretically, if you load like a landscape photo, where the ground is dark and the sky is bright, you'd have a really bright sound. If you flipped that photo upside down and loaded it into Serum, it should be a bassy sound. At least that's if it works like Image Line's Harmor. I still haven't tried it.
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's got to do with spectral information, it's essentially a feature of additive synthesis.

You know when you see a spectrogram on an analyzer? not the standard analyzer, but the ones that look like infrared heat vision? Harmor (and I guess Serum) can take a photo and treat it like it's spectral information. Basically X axis is time, y axis is frequency content going low to high, and brightness is the amplitude at a given XY point.

Knowing that might help you predict what kind of sound is gonna come out. Theoretically, if you load like a landscape photo, where the ground is dark and the sky is bright, you'd have a really bright sound. If you flipped that photo upside down and loaded it into Serum, it should be a bassy sound. At least that's if it works like Image Line's Harmor. I still haven't tried it.
That is cool, now I get the tech side of it. Great info on that, Thanks, its crazy how this thing works. I'm having fun again! I'm like a 17 year old with my first MPC LOL hahahahaaa.

I mean it is really easy to make sounds and to modulate in Serum. I love how you can drag and drop modulation onto the knobs and they start reacting, that is dope! Serum sonics just sound so great too.

What in the hell took me so long to get this thing, it's been out for a while!
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Addict

I am very interested in making pads from scratch. I would love the know how on that.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Arturia just offered me Pigments for $69 and I grabbed it. Never tried Serum. Pigments sounds great, I'm glad I got it, but I need to spend a lot more time with it before I can say more. I do know that it can read Serum compatible wavetable files. They say it has a bit more analog flair to it then Serum, which is actually preferable for me.
Old 4th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdman42 ➑️
Arturia just offered me Pigments for $69 and I grabbed it. Never tried Serum. Pigments sounds great, I'm glad I got it, but I need to spend a lot more time with it before I can say more. I do know that it can read Serum compatible wavetable files. They say it has a bit more analog flair to it then Serum, which is actually preferable for me.
Damn. How you get it for $69 and they offered me $99. ? That's some BS LOL
That's dope ot can read Serum's WT.Serum can read Massive's WT. All l was looking for was Serum to sound great and it does.

Have you seen any preset banks for Pigments? I just bought a few for Serum and they sound really good, and super cheap. And come with a lot of sound.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Arturia sent me an email. Maybe its because i'm existing customer? Not sure, but I didn't ask questions that's a good price for any synth. Haven't looked for patches yet. serum has a cult like following so I doubt Pigments will ever has many third party presets as serum.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Arturia sent me an email. Maybe its because i'm existing customer? Not sure, but I didn't ask questions that's a good price for any synth. Haven't looked for patches yet. serum has a cult like following so I doubt Pigments will ever has many third party presets as serum.
I'm a customer of Arturia. They sent me an email but not with that price lol
I saw $149 then when l went to the site it was $99 for me. I almost pull the trigger finger lmao
That's when l came here. Im happy and impressed with my order. One flaw, lm trying to figure out why in the hell l wait so long. :-(

I get what you're saying. That's why l chose Serum because of plethora of pereset banks out there. Some to my liking and some geared towards EDM. I look for those Urban type banks. Im already into this RNB track with pads and plucks. It is sounding nice. I keep looking for more banks lol A lil distracted lol

Did you find anything special that Pigments will do that Serum doesn't?
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I don't own Serum so I can't compare. I demo's Serum briefly a few years ago and I thought it sounded kind of digital...though cool its own way, but kind of digital. Pigments seems to have some analog flair to it...its a warmer tone to my ears. I'm sure there are pros and cons both ways. I just barely got it, haven't had a chance to dig deep.

I am an owner of V Collection 5 and 6, as well as the filters collection. Maybe that's why I qualified for $69 price.

Arturia has a preset store, and maybe someday I will get some of those, but I don't plan to buy any presets, just tweak what's there my own way.

I'm sure there will be more out, its going to be more popular then other Arturia products in my opinion. Serum has been around for a long time though, so there already exists a lot of presets for it.
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don't own Serum so I can't compare. I demo's Serum briefly a few years ago and I thought it sounded kind of digital...though cool its own way, but kind of digital. Pigments seems to have some analog flair to it...its a warmer tone to my ears. I'm sure there are pros and cons both ways. I just barely got it, haven't had a chance to dig deep.

I am an owner of V Collection 5 and 6, as well as the filters collection. Maybe that's why I qualified for $69 price.

Arturia has a preset store, and maybe someday I will get some of those, but I don't plan to buy any presets, just tweak what's there my own way.

I'm sure there will be more out, its going to be more popular then other Arturia products in my opinion. Serum has been around for a long time though, so there already exists a lot of presets for it.
Understood mate. Now when you bought that Arturia V5 did you catch that $199 sale? :-) I have Analog 3 only so l see why you received a bigger discount. If l want the sounds from Serum to sound warm, lush, thick and creamy l have the tools to do and lm fine with that. But l like to tweak also.
Im the type that can't wait to get the dope sounds l gotta have it in the now form lol lm a sound w.h.o.r.e. lol
So much do that l will spend my last on a bank first and will starve for food lol lmao haahahaa.
That's not good. Lmao l need recovery lol
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I think i did catch the $199 sale on V5. :-)
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think i did catch the $199 sale on V5. :-)
Ah huh l knew it lol

I didn't want all the keyboards so l just got Analog 3 which has a lil bit from each keyboard.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I was on the fence for a long time about Arturia. Definitely wait for their sales because they price sales very aggressively. Even more so than NI. And at least once a year. For me, the Synclavier emulation in V5 was worth the price of admission alone. Its a really cool synth! But there are a bunch of other cool ones also and they have really nice GUI's. Do they sound as good as U-he? Nope. But they sound very good and basically at $199 its an incredible collection.
Gear Addict

Quote:
I was on the fence for a long time about Arturia. Definitely wait for their sales because they price sales very aggressively. Even more so than NI. And at least once a year. For me, the Synclavier emulation in V5 was worth the price of admission alone. Its a really cool synth! But there are a bunch of other cool ones also and they have really nice GUI's. Do they sound as good as U-he? Nope. But they sound very good and basically at $199 its an incredible collection.
You think U-He sounds better than Arturia's stuff? Neber heard that before.

I don't like the Hive GUI it reminds me of a Casio keyboard. And l can't get that outta my head.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yes I do.
Old 5th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes I do.
Ok I got to check out Hive 2.0, the quality is good and Serum seems to basically have the same sonic quality. What I do like about Hive, it has the XY effect thingy going for it. It has more wave table joints also. To be honest I think it might be trying to keep up with Serum LOL

But I can get the dope effects with Omnisphere 2.6 with that Orb effect, that is like the best. So the Xy effect control don't do it for me, but for someone who doesn't have Omni, I understand why they would get it. It also has a plethora of Presets. I can't say it's wack though. If I didn't have Serum I would grab that.
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Addict

If anyone who has Serum is concerned you have 4 hours to get this insane sale of 488 presets for $20 and more. Its trap sounds. I missed the first one not this one.

Total Bundle Contents:
488 Serum Presets
858 WAV Loops & Samples
195 MIDI Files
Bonus Construction Kits
Custom Wavetables

https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/p...SnlVdzNaIn0%3D
Old 5th September 2020
Here for the gear

Id say both. Get serum first, and use pigments as some spice. Serum has way more presets for cheap.
Old 14th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoybeats ➑️
Id say both. Get serum first, and use pigments as some spice. Serum has way more presets for cheap.
Boy do l know that. Serum is really sweet. So sweet l took Nexus 1 off my computer!
Old 26th September 2020
Lives for gear

just pulled the trigger for Serum.

played a few days with it.
Need some tips where to get Presets.

HipHop, Trap, Dancehall, Tropical House, Pop

Thanks in advance!
Old 29th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Go to Pluginguru.com

Infinitessentials.com

I also do dancehall, Pop, Trap, HipHop, RnB and Orchestral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling ➑️
just pulled the trigger for Serum.

played a few days with it.
Need some tips where to get Presets.

HipHop, Trap, Dancehall, Tropical House, Pop

Thanks in advance!
Old 29th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Go to Pluginguru.com

Infinitessentials.com

I also do dancehall, Pop, Trap, HipHop, RnB and Orchestral.
thank you, i asume u suggest the urban pack from pluginguru?

https://infinit-essentials.com/ -- have only one serum pack? thats the right page?

i bought a few packs from adsr and i like it.
πŸ“ Reply