Quantcast
At last: new Mac Pro! - Page 65 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
At last: new Mac Pro!
Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1921
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
The question is, do you really need it to get the job done?
For most people that’s probably a no.
Not even the 6k ‘low end’ one.

There have been plenty of people working quite happily on iMacs and Mac minis before and there will be henceforward.
I do understand the serviceability concerns with a machine like that though.
A tower gives you some peace of mind in terms of thermals and being able to swap out a faulty component to keep running.
Although full redundancy it is not.

Since the price of admission for a Mac Pro now went from like 3k to 6k, I think Apple would do well to either offer a cheaper version with lower end graphics and without their FPGA accelerator card, or find a way to at least use those FPGAs for audio, to justify the price increase somewhat.

As it stands it’s just not a very good deal for audio. If you have the cash and are willing to invest it for peace of mind then fine, but it’s not a ‘good deal’ for audio by any stretch of the imagination.
Certainly not the low end model(s).
The high end (16-24 core) might be, for the niche within a niche who need/can afford that. That remains to be seen.
Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1922
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ ➡️
For most people that’s probably a no.
Not even the 6k ‘low end’ one.

There have been plenty of people working quite happily on iMacs and Mac minis before and there will be henceforward.
I do understand the serviceability concerns with a machine like that though.
A tower gives you some peace of mind in terms of thermals and being able to swap out a faulty component to keep running.
Although full redundancy it is not.

Since the price of admission for a Mac Pro now went from like 3k to 6k, I think Apple would do well to either offer a cheaper version with lower end graphics and without their FPGA accelerator card, or find a way to at least use those FPGAs for audio, to justify the price increase somewhat.

As it stands it’s just not a very good deal for audio. If you have the cash and are willing to invest it for peace of mind then fine, but it’s not a ‘good deal’ for audio by any stretch of the imagination.
Certainly not the low end model(s).
The high end (16-24 core) might be, for the niche within a niche who need/can afford that. That remains to be seen.
On that note; can't believe we live in a world with two major operating systems (not counting Linux etc.).

Why is nobody challenging Apple on the hardware and software front?!!?!?

Why is there no Android equivalent on the OS side within the computer hardware sphere with less viruses and better OS updated/ user experience then windows ?!??!?

The Hackintosh community is great (don't care if you are tired of hearing about it in this thread); but there needs to be somebody that challenges this greedy monolith called Apple!!!!!!

(((Hellooo China...... ))))(echoing inside a deep Chinese cave)......

Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1923
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg ➡️
Why is nobody challenging Apple on the hardware and software front?!!?!?
Because it costs a shot load of R&D and then once you release something people here will complain it’s:-
A- not powerful enough
B- too powerful
C- too expensive
D- too heavy
E- too light
F- not 100% replaceable yourself
G- not designed to last 20 years
H- not as cheap as PCs
I- not as streamlined as Apple

And I’m sure there’s loads of other reasons too.

Perhaps the only way a third Major OS will eventuate is via China as you mention. When Huawei was blocked out of using OS from the west perhaps Chinese government will invest in an OS in the “national interest”.

But it’s fair to say that even Windows will seem secure given the backdoors that will be built in on the demands of the Chinese government.
Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck ➡️
Fwiw, this is nothing outstanding or anything. You can do that with each and every Windows desktop.
The fact that it gets a special notion just because an Apple computer can be maintained in a business as usual manner is quite strange...
If that were remotely true though, the studio world would have flocked to Dell T7500 systems and would still be riding them to death with little prospect of ever stopping... but they aren't. They are 9 years old, and similarly spec'ed to a 5,1 Mac Pro... yet have been pretty well-buried thanks to their reliance on Vista era drivers that don't bode well with Windows 10.

In-principle arguments don't really correlate to anything in-practice. The notion of spending $200 on a graphics card and an hour of your time to increase the life of a Hackintosh or PC is nothing more than 'due course'. Yet when it comes to Mac, it is unethical, or illegal, or some other nonsense. I don't buy it. In reality, Windows history is paved with obsolescence. Windows simply spread your liability across dozens of hardware and software developers. Heaven help any person who reads your in-principle comment only to end up in a service-pack/.net framework hell. Even Nvidia themselves are prematurely chopping down graphics card support. Kepler based cards haven't even been around that long and support is already being rolled off.

In practice and reality, zedsdeadbaby probably will stick with a 5,1 Mac Pro. Even with the prospect of having to replace a graphics card, or having to fudge a system profile, Apple is still offering a path forward with a far gentler incline than any Dell T7500 or similar offers, or any new PC offers, or any Hackintosh offers. In that regard, his complaint isn't about Windows being better. It is quite the opposite. His complaint is about actually having to do something for the first time in 9 years to allow his Mac Pro to run the latest version of OSX.

The same simply cannot be said for Windows, no matter which way you look at it.
Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1925
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey ➡️
Because it costs a shot load of R&D and then once you release something people here will complain it’s:-
A- not powerful enough
B- too powerful
C- too expensive
D- too heavy
E- too light
F- not 100% replaceable yourself
G- not designed to last 20 years
H- not as cheap as PCs
I- not as streamlined as Apple

And I’m sure there’s loads of other reasons too.

Perhaps the only way a third Major OS will eventuate is via China as you mention. When Huawei was blocked out of using OS from the west perhaps Chinese government will invest in an OS in the “national interest”.

But it’s fair to say that even Windows will seem secure given the backdoors that will be built in on the demands of the Chinese government.
Great points there buddy.

I guess I'm venting out of frustration.

Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1926
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Looks like it’s coming!

https://www.oodaloop.com/briefs/2019...of-us-hacking/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg ➡️
Great points there buddy.

I guess I'm venting out of frustration.

Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1927
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey ➡️
LOL!

(Singing out loud in the background)(( It's a smaaal world after all))

https://youtu.be/TCPS8s8jS5k

Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1928
Gear Guru
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg ➡️
On that note; can't believe we live in a world with two major operating systems (not counting Linux etc.).

Why is nobody challenging Apple on the hardware and software front?!!?!?
There's Microsoft and Windows, as well as Dell, Lenovo and a couple more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg ➡️
Why is there no Android equivalent on the OS side within the computer hardware sphere with less viruses and better OS updated/ user experience then windows ?!??!?
Haven't had a virus for years, and never on Windows 10 Pro. Not sure what you've been doing with your computer, but it sure seems to me that most people who end up with viruses are using cracked software or go to places they really shouldn't go to.

Part of the problem with being a big OS is that the target on your back is far bigger. Windows isn't particularly inherently less secure than MacOS and during hacking contests we've seen examples of this. So if there was an alternative that was as commonly used as Windows I'm pretty sure it would be the primary target of malware and as a result would likely suffer more issues.

Lastly, switching is difficult because why would the larger software developers spend money on developing for a small OS? That's just not a recipe for a good return on investment.
Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1929
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
There's Microsoft and Windows, as well as Dell, Lenovo and a couple more.
Some of the companies making audio PCs are perhaps worthy of mention in our context here too, Unfortunately I'm not that well-acquainted with these since I abandoned getting another Windows Studio machine. Anyone have specific models that can be viable alternatives to the Mac Pro that would be on topic, I think. Maybe better in its own thread though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
Haven't had a virus for years, and never on Windows 10 Pro. Not sure what you've been doing with your computer, but it sure seems to me that most people who end up with viruses are using cracked software or go to places they really shouldn't go to.
I'm sure you know this about your own machines, but the truth is more that many people getting malware have these without noticing. The computing world isn't lacking examples of attempts to make you install (practically) trojans / data analyzers onto your machine, to gather data or steal computer cycles, if nothing worse.

Some big name corporations do this "openly" (relying on lack of analysis) and change their EULA's into the unacceptable to compromise naive users, that won't read what they "agree" to. Naive computer users are common, no matter the platform. I'd think there's a higher percentage of naive Mac users, lulled by their preconceptions and shallow understanding of the area, but hard to say for sure. I encounter some of these as clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
Part of the problem with being a big OS is that the target on your back is far bigger. Windows isn't particularly inherently less secure than MacOS and during hacking contests we've seen examples of this. So if there was an alternative that was as commonly used as Windows I'm pretty sure it would be the primary target of malware and as a result would likely suffer more issues.
macOS isn't exactly "small" anymore. All OSes have vulnerabilities. I had some hope for macOS until the High Sierra fiasco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
Lastly, switching is difficult because why would the larger software developers spend money on developing for a small OS? That's just not a recipe for a good return on investment.
Well, this doesn't have to be so if you cater to established software formats. The greater difficulty would be if the CPUs were very different.

Some machines like the MPC seek to replace PCs. They have OSes too, that are developed and maintained (hopefully).
Old 15th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1930
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios ➡️

In practice and reality, zedsdeadbaby probably will stick with a 5,1 Mac Pro. Even with the prospect of having to replace a graphics card, or having to fudge a system profile, Apple is still offering a path forward with a far gentler incline than any Dell T7500 or similar offers, or any new PC offers, or any Hackintosh offers. In that regard, his complaint isn't about Windows being better. It is quite the opposite. His complaint is about actually having to do something for the first time in 9 years to allow his Mac Pro to run the latest version of OSX.
Actually I've already moved my desktop to a 9900k hackintosh

I still have my 5,1 GPU, (but plan on selling the machine, all peripherals, etc soon.) My comment about needing to keep the 10 year old GPU was aimed more at people who've either sold theirs, or had one fail on them only to find that they couldn't update firmware necessary for 10.13 without it... And also, about MP users who bought Nvidia GPUs supported under 10.13 suddenly finding themselves with blacklisted GPUs under 10.14...

To me that looked like Apple deliberately making it discouraging to maintain compatibility, my assumption being the next move would be dropping support altogether. So in May I built a Hac. When Apple announced the new MP in June I had no regret about building my machine... It cost me half as much and has significantly more horsepower than my 12 core 5,1 ever had... Plan to make it my main workhorse for as long as it runs...
Old 15th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1931
Lives for gear
 
Space1999's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I love the new APPLE machine!!! People are complaining about the price tag or that no one in the audio world will go near it.

Lots of people paid over $10k for the new U67, why would a new powerhouse Mac be any different?

The crowd that is designed for seems clearly for the graphic designer crowd but that really depends on what you add on to the base model.

I remember paying close to $3K for the leaf blower in 2003 or so, so what is the big deal with today’s price tag?

As an Apple Logic Pro X user I am comforted in the fact that Apple always keeps that program in lock step with their computers. And there are zero compatibility issues using Logic since the computer company makes the recording software.

Can’t really see this computer being outdated for a long time due to the expand ability of the computer and the ability to tailor it to your needs.

The monitor and stand are so cool. And did I read that right? Your can run up to 12 monitors? That is something that every DAW operator would love.

I am not going to bash this Mac Pro, I think it is super cool, space age fire breathing beast!!!

Sign me up!

Pat
Old 15th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1932
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby ➡️
Actually I've already moved my desktop to a 9900k hackintosh
And how is that going for you?
Old 15th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1933
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 ➡️
I am not going to bash this Mac Pro, I think it is super cool, space age fire breathing beast!!!
I don’t think anybody’s saying it isn’t cool.
It is.
It’s just not a good fit for many audio people BECAUSE it is specced for video, driving the price up to almost double of what it should to be competitive enough for audio buyers.

But by all means, if the price is of no concern for you, and top performance for your top dollar isn’t either, then buy one.
I’m sure it will serve you well, it is s beast of a machine.
Not a bad computer, a great computer, it’s just considerably ‘grater’ at video than it is at audio, as far as we know.

I don’t see a lot of bashing of the new Mac Pro here, mainly some realism and people coming to terms with their new reality (the Mac Pro not really being for them anymore). There’s a few stages of grief to work through there. Give it some time. I’d already pre-grieved, I pretty much new in advance it wasn’t going to be for me, but there still was a slither of hope.

Not buying a new computer soon, so maybe a well cooled 9900k Mac Mini is in the cards... a DIY build with 9900KS or higher is the more likely outcome.
Luckily, Windows doesn’t suck nearly as much as it used to anymore.
Old 15th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1934
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ ➡️
And how is that going for you?
Flawlessly. Works exactly as if I bought it from Apple, only better ; Logic, App Store, everything works without issue.

Performance-wise it crushes my old Mac Pro: Beat the 5,1 in the new Logic Test by 50-ish tracks, just a couple tracks shy of the iMac Pro. (Should be able to hit a higher count with a little tweaking, hopefully. One guy in the thread was able to beat the iMac Pro by 30 or so tracks with an i7 that's almost identical to the 9900k. Basically I still have some tweaking I can try, but nothing's stopping me from working with it as is...)

In terms of how this translates to real world use... I had 200 discrete instances on Kontakt playing simultaneously, all hosted inside Logic. (No VEP... A few instances of Falcon in there as well... (Libraries included 8Dio, Novo, Forzo, Gravity, a few Sample Logic libraries, etc... Basically nothing light on scripting...)

All channels had EQ and at least one other processor, some had more, (about 50 also had Phat FX or Step FX, some had de-esser 2 or Logic's limiter on them as well...

Various buses were set up with processing on every bus ranging from some Logic processing, to Pro-MB and Pro-Q3, Ozone 5 EQ, etc... The mix bus had Pro-C2, Pro-Q3, and Pro-L2, all enabled...

All 200 instances playing in tandem with the buffer set to 128. Logic's meter averaged between 35 and 50% on all cores, with the occasional quirky Logic core-spike hitting around 70%. Overall the thing didn't break a sweat. Temps were between 40º on the low side, 55º-ish highest... (I also kept this sequence looping for a few minutes and it ran the loop rock solid...)

I stopped at 200 instances as I hadn't come close to the ceiling, and 200 was all I needed to see to feel more than ecstatic about its performance... Basically the thing has all the ammo I need...
Old 15th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1935
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 ➡️
I love the new APPLE machine!!! People are complaining about the price tag or that no one in the audio world will go near it.

Lots of people paid over $10k for the new U67, why would a new powerhouse Mac be any different?

The crowd that is designed for seems clearly for the graphic designer crowd but that really depends on what you add on to the base model.

I remember paying close to $3K for the leaf blower in 2003 or so, so what is the big deal with today’s price tag?

As an Apple Logic Pro X user I am comforted in the fact that Apple always keeps that program in lock step with their computers. And there are zero compatibility issues using Logic since the computer company makes the recording software.

Can’t really see this computer being outdated for a long time due to the expand ability of the computer and the ability to tailor it to your needs.

The monitor and stand are so cool. And did I read that right? Your can run up to 12 monitors? That is something that every DAW operator would love.

I am not going to bash this Mac Pro, I think it is super cool, space age fire breathing beast!!!

Sign me up!

Pat
Me too. I can’t wait for this machine. I’ve sunk a lot into my two 5,1 boxes. I’m so ready to move on.
Old 16th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1936
Deleted 4be93b5
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 ➡️
I love the new APPLE machine!!! People are complaining about the price tag or that no one in the audio world will go near it.

Lots of people paid over $10k for the new U67, why would a new powerhouse Mac be any different?

The crowd that is designed for seems clearly for the graphic designer crowd but that really depends on what you add on to the base model.

I remember paying close to $3K for the leaf blower in 2003 or so, so what is the big deal with today’s price tag?

As an Apple Logic Pro X user I am comforted in the fact that Apple always keeps that program in lock step with their computers. And there are zero compatibility issues using Logic since the computer company makes the recording software.

Can’t really see this computer being outdated for a long time due to the expand ability of the computer and the ability to tailor it to your needs.

The monitor and stand are so cool. And did I read that right? Your can run up to 12 monitors? That is something that every DAW operator would love.

I am not going to bash this Mac Pro, I think it is super cool, space age fire breathing beast!!!

Sign me up!

Pat
It is a wonderful computer.

However, it also is way too expensive, and us audio folk end up paying thousands of dollars for stuff that we don't need.

I have been waiting for this thing for years and it has turned out to be something so over engineered the terrible base config costs 6000 dollars.
Old 16th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1937
Lives for gear
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg ➡️
Why is nobody challenging Apple on the hardware and software front?!!?!?
Software wise, it seems to be more about taste and environment than anything else.
Hardware wise, I do consider us to be a few steps ahead regarding quality, focus, compatibility and scalability as well as power. For example, we offered an 8xHDX system in 2015, currently 10xHDX. Also note that HDX cards need to stand up straight, so a tower configuration is a poor choice, as the end of the cards will hang down pretty far. You would need to put the tower on its side.
Anyway, the big thing about Apple is that people want an Apple/OSX, many Mac users don't care what other choices are on the market.
Old 16th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1938
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➡️
Also note that HDX cards need to stand up straight, so a tower configuration is a poor choice, as the end of the cards will hang down pretty far. You would need to put the tower on its side.
This is news to me.
In any case, there will be a rack version of the new Mac Pro to facilitate that.
Old 16th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1939
Lives for gear
 
juiseman's Avatar
I think there is a rack mount kit for it..but I could be wrong about that,...
Old 16th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1940
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parzival ➡️
It is a wonderful computer.

However, it also is way too expensive, and us audio folk end up paying thousands of dollars for stuff that we don't need.

I have been waiting for this thing for years and it has turned out to be something so over engineered the terrible base config costs 6000 dollars.
I think Ill be waiting for the next Mac Mini update if that ever happens. Maybe the next generation iMac.

I don’t expect to see many affordable used 2019 MacPros on the market down the road. Most will probably be leased and with multiples of the base price.
Old 16th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1941
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios ➡️
In reality, Windows history is paved with obsolescence. Windows simply spread your liability across dozens of hardware and software developers. Heaven help any person who reads your in-principle comment only to end up in a service-pack/.net framework hell.
I'm still using my ~ 15 yo Tascam FW-1884, designed for Win XP, both as an audio interface, a control surface, a midi router and a computerless audio mixer.
It works very well with Windows 10 1903 64 bit latest patch latest version, how's that for obsolescence?

On Mac, you'd apparently would have to find a 32 bit Snow Leopard compatible computer.
Old 16th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1942
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Not a valid argument IMHO.

You can, for example, run any of the oldest MOTU interfaces, both audio and MIDI, on the latest Macs (or PC's), and they go back way before the Tascam.

The claim was made about PC systems' components at any rate and had nothing to do with audio / MIDI / control interfaces, the compatibility of which is largely down to the manufacturers' keeping their drivers up-to-date.
Old 17th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1943
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Exactly. I’m still running my Metric Halo MH2882. I can’t even think how long I’ve owned it, it is so old. Metric Halo are awesome at ensuring their products don’t become obsolete. I can upgrade to the new 3D card if I need.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man ➡️
Not a valid argument IMHO.

You can, for example, run any of the oldest MOTU interfaces, both audio and MIDI, on the latest Macs (or PC's), and they go back way before the Tascam.

The claim was made about PC systems' components at any rate and had nothing to do with audio / MIDI / control interfaces, the compatibility of which is largely down to the manufacturers' keeping their drivers up-to-date.
Old 17th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1944
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man ➡️
Not a valid argument IMHO.

You can, for example, run any of the oldest MOTU interfaces, both audio and MIDI, on the latest Macs (or PC's), and they go back way before the Tascam.

The claim was made about PC systems' components at any rate and had nothing to do with audio / MIDI / control interfaces, the compatibility of which is largely down to the manufacturers' keeping their drivers up-to-date.
I think I missed the source of this so sue me if it’s completely irrelevant, but I think this was in response to someone saying they’re still rocking a Metric Halo 2882? They are only company I know who ACTUALLY APPLIES future proof. The 2882 is completely upgradable to cutting edge technology today with a little upgrade kit. I upgraded my ULN-2 I got back in 2002? 03? It’s now back to being top of the line 2020 technology, along with my four other ULN-8 3D.

Oops. I missed to post above! I quoted the wrong post.
Old 17th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby ➡️
Actually I've already moved my desktop to a 9900k hackintosh

I still have my 5,1 GPU, (but plan on selling the machine, all peripherals, etc soon.) My comment about needing to keep the 10 year old GPU was aimed more at people who've either sold theirs, or had one fail on them only to find that they couldn't update firmware necessary for 10.13 without it... And also, about MP users who bought Nvidia GPUs supported under 10.13 suddenly finding themselves with blacklisted GPUs under 10.14...

To me that looked like Apple deliberately making it discouraging to maintain compatibility, my assumption being the next move would be dropping support altogether. So in May I built a Hac. When Apple announced the new MP in June I had no regret about building my machine... It cost me half as much and has significantly more horsepower than my 12 core 5,1 ever had... Plan to make it my main workhorse for as long as it runs...

You are essentially chasing your own tail. A $30 Mac GT120 solves the problems you outline. Or a $150 RX580. What doesn't solve it, is a $3000 Hackintosh... which is ironic, really. It is Nvidia's lack of web drivers that are the issue, not Apple.

Apple has always been extremely explicit in what graphics cards it supports. Prior to 10.14, they have required EFIs to access the firmware update process and AHT, as they occur before any KEXT is loaded under OSX. Apple also directly roll in the KEXT drivers for the graphics cards it supports into OSX itself. It is plug and play. If you are using the graphics cards supported by Apple, you really aren't having the issues you are outlining. It is nothing particularly new, either. All of this has been a requirement since the Mac Pro 1,1.

The issues you are outlining really land at Nvidia's feet. They are the creators of the web driver. They sold PC graphics cards to Mac, Hackintosh and the ROM flashing community knowing full well that they don't have the EFI component in them required for full Mac support. They took your money. It is odd that Nvidia has led part of its userbase down the garden path, yet it instantly becomes Apple's problem because they are met with a dead-end...

Technically, 10.14 is the first version of OSX that Apple has ever actually included support for PC graphics cards! Yet apparently Apple are making it 'harder to maintain compatibility'...
Old 17th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1946
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby ➡️

The real issues some models failing to maintain base clock without throttling, and the tradeoffs mac users pay in terms of performance penalties simply due to Apple's obsession with shrinking everything.
And yet the new MBP 13” achieves a sustained performance that is 193% of its advertised speed of 1.4GHz.

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...ch-macbook-pro

The only model that didn’t hits its advertised mark was the previous 6 core i9. And that was fixed by software update and then replaced with an 8 core i9 that hits its specs
Old 17th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1947
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios ➡️
The same simply cannot be said for Windows, no matter which way you look at it.
Of course you can't say the "same" about Windows. When you start with carefully selected parts, Windows computers can be kept up to date easier as Macs. Not only can you start with those carefully selected parts (which you can't at all in Apple land), no, you can as well update all of these parts.
Having said that, my wife is running a Windows 10 box which was built 10 years ago. Had to exchange zero hardware to take it all the way from XP through Win 7 to Win 10. You can't do that with *any* Mac, period.
Old 17th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1948
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Simply amazing.

This is the “new Mac Pro” thread not the “oldest PC still running” thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck ➡️
Of course you can't say the "same" about Windows. When you start with carefully selected parts, Windows computers can be kept up to date easier as Macs. Not only can you start with those carefully selected parts (which you can't at all in Apple land), no, you can as well update all of these parts.
Having said that, my wife is running a Windows 10 box which was built 10 years ago. Had to exchange zero hardware to take it all the way from XP through Win 7 to Win 10. You can't do that with *any* Mac, period.
Old 17th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1949
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I am still driving a 13 years old truck.

What do I win?

Old 17th August 2019 | Show parent
  #1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck ➡️
Of course you can't say the "same" about Windows. When you start with carefully selected parts, Windows computers can be kept up to date easier as Macs. Not only can you start with those carefully selected parts (which you can't at all in Apple land), no, you can as well update all of these parts.
Having said that, my wife is running a Windows 10 box which was built 10 years ago. Had to exchange zero hardware to take it all the way from XP through Win 7 to Win 10. You can't do that with *any* Mac, period.

If that is the case, feel free to post a list of all the windows hardware being sold today that will be supported by Windows 2029. You would be doing all the potential windows users a real service...

though some might be inclined to believe it boils more down to luck than anything, given their previous experiences.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4617 views: 624272
Avatar for cabooter
cabooter 5 days ago
replies: 98 views: 42661
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 835 views: 179526
Avatar for jlgrimes11
jlgrimes11 30th August 2020
replies: 518 views: 43371
Avatar for audslu
audslu 28th December 2015
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump