Quantcast
Waves CLA Mix Hub- First Impressions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves CLA Mix Hub- First Impressions
Old 30th January 2019
Waves CLA Mix Hub- First Impressions

I had the soft tube console one a few years ago. I’ve had Waves SSL forever. I was thinking about getting the console 1 again and here is why:

1) I hate being in plug in tweak land- I mixed a record with 12-13 songs in pro tools and the majority of that time I was second-guessing tweaking plug-ins .

2) i’ve grown to appreciate SSL on almost everything but especially drums .

3) I want to mix with my ears and not my eyes as the cliché goes .

4) I don’t love using the mouse and mixing has felt like a big chore to me .

I’m a late in life pro tools convert which was the one hesitation I had about the soft tube . It’s my understanding that there is still no integration with ProTools?.

Right now the downstairs of my house is being renovated because of hurricane Michael . I have a temporary mix area set up which is the worst possible acoustics ! I’ve had to use a lot of the tone controls on my Genelec monitors.

I got the Mix Hub last night just for fun .

I decided to pull an early version of the song from the album that I mentioned .

From my admittedly limited time on a proper mixing console, my over arching memory from those days is the ability to quickly and intuitively get songs sounding pretty good. I think it’s that that I miss most about outboard gear.

Well I threw the song up and just add it to a handful of instrument groupings .
I find the mix hub to be very intuitive and easy to use in terms of setting up buckets .

I have a ton of waves plug-ins and honestly I had gotten away from them because I’ve discovered sound toys and soft tube - but I believe the mix hub is a new class of waves plug-in .

The sound of this is excellent and the thing that really has me excited is it is very forgiving when you make drastic adjustments . That’s probably the thing I love the most about analog gear is the forgiveness factor when you’re shaping up sounds

This plug-in has that and the other aspect of it that I love is mixing in buckets . I was a little skeptical that this was a marketing speak but it turns out it really is a fast fun and efficient way to start getting a song whipped into shape .

i’m going to see if I can get the artist permission to post a section of the song that I did so you can hear for yourself but I’m listening to it in my car this morning and I cannot believe how good this thing sounds .

I’m using ProTools 12.6 and I had no issues on my 2012 Mac Mini with CPU overload or any type of bug issues .

I should mention that I’ve use the waves SSL in the past out of necessity but I’ve always felt in general it sounded a little grainy .

The way I would say it with this new plug-in is that it sounds smooth or bigger and seems to have more resolution .

Hats off to Waves
Old 31st January 2019
Did some more testing for CPU usage- I got 28 tracks (all sections engaged) in Studio One at 512 buffer before squirrelly.
I got 16 tracks at 512 in Logic Pro X- 20 before the dropout error
Pro Tools, I used just as part of a mix (not testing) I had about 16 engaged with no issues (PT 12.6)

2012 Mac Mini SSD drive with 16 gigs RAM
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Most people seem to be caught up on the Waves SSL plugin 2.0 features, but I think they’re missing the BIGGEST feature this plugin has to offer... workflow.

I guess you can hardly blame those who haven’t known the workflow of a real desk, but if you’ve been there before you can begin to appreciate just how fast and powerful this new plugin paradigm can be. To be honest, all DAWs should be capable of this, but they aren’t. Sure this is just one plugin and you are stuck with the SSL “sound” with the MixHub, but I believe more will come. If not from Waves then from other developers.
Old 31st January 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington ➡️
Most people seem to be caught up on the Waves SSL plugin 2.0 features, but I think they’re missing the BIGGEST feature this plugin has to offer... workflow.

I guess you can hardly blame those who haven’t known the workflow of a real desk, but if you’ve been there before you can begin to appreciate just how fast and powerful this new plugin paradigm can be. To be honest, all DAWs should be capable of this, but they aren’t. Sure this is just one plugin and you are stuck with the SSL “sound” with the MixHub, but I believe more will come. If not from Waves then from other developers.
Absolutely -

One at a time is a terrible way to mix for me -
Groupings of instruments make sense both sonically and in terms of workflow.

I can jump out and solo but it’s much better and faster to mix not in solo or in channel isolation which is one are where traditional desks kick ITB IN the ass.
It’s really pleasing to work this intuitively- not chasing your tail
Old 6th February 2019
WAD
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
pure gimmick
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I haven't really dived into the bucket workflow yet but this thing SOUNDS good. As a basic SSL style (and 1176) channel strip.
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Years ago I had a Focusrite LiquidMix. It was pretty cool for the time. These days I have a console with my PT. Best of both worlds. If I want to mix with knobs and faders I use the console. If I want to mix in the box I have a Command 8.

The C8 can be had for very cheap and works great with the new versions of PT. It does plugin control, etc.... I don't use any of the audio features.
Old 19th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 ➡️
Years ago I had a Focusrite LiquidMix. It was pretty cool for the time. These days I have a console with my PT. Best of both worlds. If I want to mix with knobs and faders I use the console. If I want to mix in the box I have a Command 8.

The C8 can be had for very cheap and works great with the new versions of PT. It does plugin control, etc.... I don't use any of the audio features.
It’s not really going to be much of an improvement in workflow for those with half decent consoles, even SoftTube’s Console One. It’s really for those who can’t affod the privilege.

It takes a little getting used to the new workflow, but damn it’s speeds up the mix for sure. No more burning our ears out as well move plugin by plugin. Very functional. Certainly no gimmick at all.
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Fired up MixHub for the first time yesterday - was expecting another ho-hum SSL emulation but was pleasantly surprised. It really does speed up the workflow (love Console 1 + Studio One, but on PT, C1 is a nightmare). Maybe someone can make Console 1 type hardware for this MixHub?

It sounds great and the mic/line/20dB pad are more than useful. Will play with it again today but so far, quite impressed.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't doubt it's a great sounding and working tool... But I also have a Minimac 2012, and if it's true I'm only able to run 16 channels, it's just ridiculous! Sorry for the old man grumpy comment...
Old 17th February 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Why so little love for the MixHub ?

Yo

I have been going through another round of Channel Strip searching to find just that right fit for my workflow and ears. I demo'd lots of different vendors offerings. In the end I found that the CLA MixHub sounded excellent (my ears) and the WORKFLOW (my workflow) is indeed "game changing" (hate that as much as "paradigm shift" - but it applies) with the bucket approach.

The ability to have multiple buckets open, set each one to an independent view, and easily switch between buckets significantly changes/improves my workflow in Pro Tools. I keep 2 buckets open (65" 4K monitor) and use the Lite version for tracking (24/96 @ 64 buffer) and the Full version to mix. On my 8700K O/[email protected] GHz there is no CPU limitation.

Dunno, just wondering why more wasn't made of this plugin ?

E
Old 19th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejinbc ➡️
Yo

I have been going through another round of Channel Strip searching to find just that right fit for my workflow and ears. I demo'd lots of different vendors offerings. In the end I found that the CLA MixHub sounded excellent (my ears) and the WORKFLOW (my workflow) is indeed "game changing" (hate that as much as "paradigm shift" - but it applies) with the bucket approach.

The ability to have multiple buckets open, set each one to an independent view, and easily switch between buckets significantly changes/improves my workflow in Pro Tools. I keep 2 buckets open (65" 4K monitor) and use the Lite version for tracking (24/96 @ 64 buffer) and the Full version to mix. On my 8700K O/[email protected] GHz there is no CPU limitation.

E
Dunno, my go to 4000 for ‘dirty’ is CLA and Bx J for clean. The Bx 4000 doesn’t float my boat. I love the thing (CLA). Cheers.
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejinbc ➡️
Yo

E
I keep asking the same question. Or why haven’t they added Buckets to the Scheps Omni?!?!!

I can only suggest to get in contact with them and request more channel strips of this caliber. The more of us that do it, the more likely they will be to consider it.
Old 1st March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When the single CLA SSL strip doesn't get more attention, it's all on Waves. For some reason, they decided to abandon the plugin, the minute they released it. It should have been promoted, as a replacement for the original old SSL channelstrip. It should compete with BX SSL strip. A lot of people don't get it. Another failure is they hasn't did any updates or developments to CLA bucket system yet. I like the Sound of the SSL strip itself and prefer it to all the others. Try to shoot this of with analog one. It's very impressive. The BX compression is way off. I sorry to disappoint the BX fans. The EQ itself is quite good.
Old 1st March 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
It's the buckets....

All

It's the bucket metaphor that makes working with the MixHub "different". I use a 65" 4K display (a second display by the keyboards for VIs) and the MixHub gives me immediate access to banks of SSL goodness. The ability to select from 8 buckets with 8 bins each really reduces the mouse clicking. I keep two buckets up all the time. I have a screenshot below to give some idea of the possibilities. YMMV. IMHO.

e
Attached Thumbnails
Waves CLA Mix Hub- First Impressions-pt-bucket-screen-capture.jpg  
Old 1st March 2021
Gear Nut

To bad there is zipper noise when adjusting the eq in the lite version, none in the full version though.
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydfar ➡️
When the single CLA SSL strip doesn't get more attention, it's all on Waves. For some reason, they decided to abandon the plugin, the minute they released it. It should have been promoted, as a replacement for the original old SSL channelstrip. It should compete with BX SSL strip. A lot of people don't get it. Another failure is they hasn't did any updates or developments to CLA bucket system yet. I like the Sound of the SSL strip itself and prefer it to all the others. Try to shoot this of with analog one. It's very impressive. The BX compression is way off. I sorry to disappoint the BX fans. The EQ itself is quite good.
Yeah i never liked the Bx 4000. The Waves CLA does it for me. To be fair, i think the BX J is killer and i love it. CLA and Bx J are my go to channel strips. Haven't needed anything else in awhile.
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bammbamm ➡️
To bad there is zipper noise when adjusting the eq in the lite version, none in the full version though.
Mr. Rubble

I tried to reproduce the zipper noise to which you refer. I can not. Cranked it to the noise floor, no zipper noise. Dunno. Perhaps check your install. I am on PT 2020.12, Win 10 and up to date Waves.

e
Old 2nd March 2021
Gear Nut

Ah but you see there is zipper noise when rapidly adjusting eq parameters in the ”lite” version, you notice it more on bassy sounds when adjusting higher up, 3 k or 4 k. That’s why it’s the lite lite version. Ik eq 73 does this also, but there is no heavy version, they just made a sucky eq.
Again, you notice it when adjusting eq gain rapidly up and down, zipper noise. The older waves ssl strips are better.
📝 Reply