Quantcast
VSM-3 - It's on sale, are there alternatives? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VSM-3 - It's on sale, are there alternatives?
Old 3rd January 2019
Here for the gear

VSM-3 - It's on sale, are there alternatives?

The title says it all... The Native is on sale and I am very interested in picking it up. I demo'd a M/S preset on the UAD and it sounded very good on my Pop mix. I was curious if there are other plugins that can do this kind of hi-definition stereo widening? I loved the sound, but to be honest I do not quite understand what it is doing to achieve it (through saturation?).

Any help is greatly appreciated, as even with the sale price, it is still pretty pricey for my humble little home studio.

Happy New Year!

PS: If anyone has a Plugin Alliance coupon they are willing to share, I would be eternally grateful. I just learned today that if I had signed up as a member in advance I would have been given an even deeper discount!
Old 3rd January 2019
Here for the gear

Oh, also I imagine there is no difference between the Native and UAD version, but if somebody knows otherwise, I thought I'd ask!
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I understand that the different versions are the same.

Alternatives... not for me. I enjoy this plugin and it has an amazing amount of flexibility/depth to what it is capable of. Mixing or mastering...
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's flexibility is in being able to target a specific bands of frequencies, blend in different amounts of odd and even harmonics, run it in series or parallel and being able to use it in a mid-side configuration. I really don't know anything else that offers that kind of flexibility, except for maybe iZotope Trash.
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Loving it! Wish there were more presets. Anyone have any favs? I go crazy trying to mess with it and wind up making a mess......
Old 9th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just ended up making one preset that was a version of the M/S Master preset. I just made sure it more closely level matches the original signal and use a lower % on the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis ➡️
Loving it! Wish there were more presets. Anyone have any favs? I go crazy trying to mess with it and wind up making a mess......
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Care to share? That’s a great preset w/HiFi and the bass one....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Care to share? That’s a great preset w/HiFi and the bass one....
Ok ill be the frst one to say it but how the hell do people use the MS setting and the HiFi setting at the same time, i get some blurry super low end distorted mess when i do it.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 ➡️
Ok ill be the frst one to say it but how the hell do people use the MS setting and the HiFi setting at the same time, i get some blurry super low end distorted mess when i do it.
Those are presets I like but M/S and hifi don’t work together!....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Those are presets I like but M/S and hifi don’t work together!....
Sorry i took it as they work together in some magical way! i tried them together and it was horrible, alone yeah they are excellent and its probable my first plugin I use in the chain cuz i really dont need to use any EQ or anything after it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The main thing to watch is when the different generators are set to a certain range, the level knob controls the volume of that range...that can be really dangerous and throw off your whole mix/master. It’s cool for mid side in place of an eq boosting the highs on the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 ➡️
Sorry i took it as they work together in some magical way! i tried them together and it was horrible, alone yeah they are excellent and its probable my first plugin I use in the chain cuz i really dont need to use any EQ or anything after it.
📝 Reply