The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MBP High Sierra and Mojave CoreAudio overload bug
Old 31st December 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop ➡️
Hey teerio, kindly do update if you have any further issues! Looks like this will be my cheapest option if it works to get the UFX problem free on the MM2018.

I think the device needs to be Thunderbolt 3. If I'm not wrong Slate is TB2, right?

I would wait on that Mini for now, I picked one up and there are a ton of audio related issues. I have 5 more days to use the return period. I might return the machine.
Well RME was saying that its a problem specifically with USB2, and that TB2 should be fine as well.

In good news, the Slate interfaces sound SOOO freaking good.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
Well RME was saying that its a problem specifically with USB2, and that TB2 should be fine as well.

In good news, the Slate interfaces sound SOOO freaking good.
imo the RME thread is all about USB 2/3 and TB3 - NOT TB2.
I just ordered the calgit usb/tb3 thing.

anyway - i just finished installing all the software on my new mac mini (i7/16gb/1tb). so far it runs brilliant on core audio.
had it playing for 12 hours on 64 samples with a big project (2 x diva, 2x omnisphere, 2x serum, 2 x diva, 2 x hive, 2 x massive, superior drummer 3 etc. pp.) + tons of plug ins. runs silent, get's really warm but not "hot", i can hear the ssd working when it's super silent and the unit is right next to me.

overall the mac mini works great - looking forward to use it as my main studio machine.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvalle ➡️
imo the RME thread is all about USB 2/3 and TB3 - NOT TB2.
I just ordered the calgit usb/tb3 thing.

anyway - i just finished installing all the software on my new mac mini (i7/16gb/1tb). so far it runs brilliant on core audio.
had it playing for 12 hours on 64 samples with a big project (2 x diva, 2x omnisphere, 2x serum, 2 x diva, 2 x hive, 2 x massive, superior drummer 3 etc. pp.) + tons of plug ins. runs silent, get's really warm but not "hot", i can hear the ssd working when it's super silent and the unit is right next to me.

overall the mac mini works great - looking forward to use it as my main studio machine.
My I9 MacBook Pro is GREAT for mixing. Just awesome. The problem is with recording specifically. Its possible the Mac minis are better off than the MacBook Pros though.
Lives for gear

I have this issue on my 18 MBP on both high Sierra and Mojave. It didn’t exist on my 2013 MBP and it’s incredibly annoying, interrupting my workflow every half hour or so. I tried returning the first MBP I got because I thought it was a hardware error after talking with apple support but the second one has the same problem. Honestly I have no idea how to solve it. Part of me wants to switch DAWs (I use Logic) and get a PC, and another part of me wants to exchange it for a Mac Mini. Does anyone know if Minis have the same issue, or if running through a certain audio interface can eliminate the bug? I have little faith in Apple fixing it at this point.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto ➡️
I have this issue on my 18 MBP on both high Sierra and Mojave. It didn’t exist on my 2013 MBP and it’s incredibly annoying, interrupting my workflow every half hour or so. I tried returning the first MBP I got because I thought it was a hardware error after talking with apple support but the second one has the same problem. Honestly I have no idea how to solve it. Part of me wants to switch DAWs (I use Logic) and get a PC, and another part of me wants to exchange it for a Mac Mini. Does anyone know if Minis have the same issue, or if running through a certain audio interface can eliminate the bug? I have little faith in Apple fixing it at this point.
Minis appear to have the same issue.

According to RME:

"Here is some info on the current situation with Apple's Mac Mini 2018 and 10.14.2.

- USB 2 is not usable for audio on any port.
- USB 3 is not usable for audio on the two USB-A sockets.
- USB 3 works as expected on all USB-C ports using a USB-C to USB-A adapter

If you use an USB-C to USB-A adapter and connect a USB 2 device it is internally connected to the same bus/hub where all the other USB 2 sockets are connected to - and thus won't work. You can gain basic knowledge about the internal structure and connections by using the Mac's System Report/System Information, USB. Connect your USB device and look where it is shown in the nested structure.

In clear words: there is currently no way to have a Mac Mini 2018 working without audio errors when using USB 2, neither directly nor with the standard USB-C to USB-A adapters.

But there is a workaround. Devices connected to Thunderbolt do not show audio errors as with the internal USB 2. So all you have to do is use 'external' USB.

Except one user at least has reported audio glitches over thunderbolt when *anything* is connected to a USB port.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_rowley ➡️
Minis appear to have the same issue.

According to RME:

"Here is some info on the current situation with Apple's Mac Mini 2018 and 10.14.2.

- USB 2 is not usable for audio on any port.
- USB 3 is not usable for audio on the two USB-A sockets.
- USB 3 works as expected on all USB-C ports using a USB-C to USB-A adapter

If you use an USB-C to USB-A adapter and connect a USB 2 device it is internally connected to the same bus/hub where all the other USB 2 sockets are connected to - and thus won't work. You can gain basic knowledge about the internal structure and connections by using the Mac's System Report/System Information, USB. Connect your USB device and look where it is shown in the nested structure.

In clear words: there is currently no way to have a Mac Mini 2018 working without audio errors when using USB 2, neither directly nor with the standard USB-C to USB-A adapters.

But there is a workaround. Devices connected to Thunderbolt do not show audio errors as with the internal USB 2. So all you have to do is use 'external' USB.

Except one user at least has reported audio glitches over thunderbolt when *anything* is connected to a USB port.
Interesting... I did remember that the bug didn’t occur in testing when I had no devices plugged in.

Sounds like there is a similar situation with the mini and the MBP.

I’m very disappointed to be honest.
Old 1st January 2019
Here for the gear

I migrated my old MBP mid-2012 to a new MBP 2018 15" today. Zero issues so far after an hour of testing both Logic and Ableton Live connected to my UA Apollo Twin via thunderbolt. I don't yet have a USB-C to USB adaptor so will have to wait on testing further with my controller plugged in too.
I'm a little relieved but still need to spend more time to be sure everything is rock solid. FYI, I'm running the latest version of High Sierra (10.13.6)
Old 2nd January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The glitches/dropouts are worse for me when using a class compliant device. Our ADI-2 Pro, which connects via USB 2, is causing issues every 10min or so. Anyone else got class compliant experiences to share?

Anecdotally I can confirm RME's statement is correct. We have issues on recording and playback with our ADI-2, UFX and MADIface Pro which are all USB 2. However, when we've hired the MADIface XT for bigger jobs it's been flawless, which makes sense because it's USB 3. In each case we've been using official Apple adapters.

We've also used the Fireface 800 with two Apple adapters and that's been fine though I haven't had time to test extensively. These sorts of threads are made extra confusing by multiple issues being reported by different users. I'm not convinced the USB problem affects internal audio, at least from my own experience, and the 'crackling' speakers which are reported on Mac Rumours, Apple's own forum etc are also likely to be a different issue. That provoked a considerably bigger backlash which I guess Apple have now fixed. We have to do likewise!

I'm going to phone Apple now before spending another £100+ on a Thunderbolt 3 dock and will report back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teerio ➡️
I'm running my RME Fireface UFX via USB2 in MBP 2018 (week old) after I updated the system to Supplemental Update 2 and updated the new RME USB Driver 3.13. And haven't had skips or overload so far. I'm monitoring the console and let this play for an hour or 2 now and search the log for errors.
Is this the second High Sierra update? Interestingly I wondered if this had fixed the problem at the time because our MBP performed glitch free, but that might also have been because we were mainly using USB 3. It seems unbelievable Apple would fix a bug then break it again in the next OSX?

Last edited by Myles Eastwood; 2nd January 2019 at 07:28 PM..
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Eastwood ➡️
I'm going to phone Apple now before spending another £100+ on a Thunderbolt 3 dock and will report back...
I spent nearly two hours on the phone with UK Apple Technical Support and made little headway. He went through all the usual steps (resetting NVRAM, setting up a new user etc).

The process was laborious and the technical advisor had limited knowledge -- he conceded he and his colleagues weren't trained to analyse the Console logs I had saved so these weren't helpful. He was also unable to 'escalate' the case to more senior technical staff. Apple software developers are not expected to talk to customers, so the only way they will investigate a particular problem is if enough other users report it to Apple and a pattern emerges.

His basic position was, if the USB-C ports are working as expected and it's not a hardware issue that would be fixed by replacing the machine, then it's a software issue. If it's still doing it on 10.14.2 after reformatting the SSD then it's the third party manufacturer's responsibility to fix. He said Apple products should work in and of themselves (and audio does play back fine through speakers and headphones) but it's not their responsibility to test every external device out there.

Unfortunately I had limited technical info to describe the issue, though obviously I explained it was specific to the newer Macs with T2 chips. If there are more software-oriented folks out there it would be good if they could go down the beta testing route with Apple and report it that way.

I made it very clear that the glitches weren't just happening with third party drivers, it affects class compliant performance too.

Has anyone reproduced the problem on the 2018 Macbook Airs?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I spent nearly two hours on the phone with UK Apple Technical Support and made little headway. He went through all the usual steps (resetting NVRAM, setting up a new user etc).

The process was laborious and the technical advisor had limited knowledge -- he conceded he and his colleagues weren't trained to analyse the Console logs I had saved so these weren't helpful. He was also unable to 'escalate' the case to more senior technical staff. Apple software developers are not expected to talk to customers, so the only way they will investigate a particular problem is if enough other users report it to Apple and a pattern emerges.

His basic position was, if the USB-C ports are working as expected and it's not a hardware issue that would be fixed by replacing the machine, then it's a software issue. If it's still doing it on 10.14.2 after reformatting the SSD then it's the third party manufacturer's responsibility to fix. He said Apple products should work in and of themselves (and audio does play back fine through speakers and headphones) but it's not their responsibility to test every external device out there.

Unfortunately I had limited technical info to describe the issue, though obviously I explained it was specific to the newer Macs with T2 chips. If there are more software-oriented folks out there it would be good if they could go down the beta testing route with Apple and report it that way.

I made it very clear that the glitches weren't just happening with third party drivers, it affects class compliant performance too.

basically a complete waste of your time. unfortunately this is more typical than not.
Old 3rd January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

This is EXACTLY what a senior adviser said to me. Basically if it doesn't work its not their fault.
Old 3rd January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman ➡️
basically a complete waste of your time. unfortunately this is more typical than not.
It was tedious. But it's helpful to keep this thread up to date, and also if everyone who experiences it logs the complaint with Apple, it's more likely to be looked into...
Old 3rd January 2019
Deleted 9a4ec70
Old 4th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 9a4ec70 ➡️
.......either stick to an older machine, or swap out your audio interface hardware to be able to use the new machines.
What is currently the most stable interface to use with a 2018 mini?
Old 4th January 2019
Here for the gear

Just updating - I'm still rock solid on a new 2018 MBP running with a UA Apollo Twin via Thunderbolt and a keyboard controller via USB. Latest version of High Sierra. I am relieved at this point. Fingers crossed the system remains stable!
Old 5th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, unfortunately this is what happened to me today... I was using Spectrasonics Keyscape (A high CPU Virtual instrument) in Logic Pro X @ 64 samples Buffer on the internal audio through the MBP Speakers. I went on Youtube to get some info about something and then... The crackling began, electrical noise style really loud crackling occured. So I thought I was not touched by this plague ,but it just feels like I am now. Tomorrow is my last day for returning the MBP.

Wifi was on and I had an external SSD via USB-C to USB3 adapter plugged in that's it. So dissapointed.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krubbadoo ➡️
Well, unfortunately this is what happened to me today... I was using Spectrasonics Keyscape (A high CPU Virtual instrument) in Logic Pro X @ 64 samples Buffer on the internal audio through the MBP Speakers. I went on Youtube to get some info about something and then... The crackling began, electrical noise style really loud crackling occured. So I thought I was not touched by this plague ,but it just feels like I am now. Tomorrow is my last day for returning the MBP.

Wifi was on and I had an external SSD via USB-C to USB3 adapter plugged in that's it. So dissapointed.
I am sorry to hear...

Have you tried it with an audio interface at all?
LiquidSonics

🎧 10 years
Do the 2016/2017 models exhibit these problems? I very recently returned a Nov 2018 15 inch model for multiple reasons (excessive coil whine, vega 20 upgrade screen flicking, and the audio issues as discussed here) and am wondering if I have any better options picking something from the official refurb store which has some decent models the from 2016 and 2017 ranges at time of writing. I guess I need to worry about the keyboard dust allergy problem with those though
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just returned mine. Almost messed up my ears with these loud noises. Will wait until apple fixes this. Back to my 12 core 5,1 Mac Pro for a while.
Old 6th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
just another info ...
got the calgit tb3 dock and the babyface usb2 works with no problems now.
my setup: mac mini i7/16gb/1tb, rme babyface mk1 -> adat into prism orpheus.
(FYI: the babyface needs to be connected to both usb ports on the calgit dock to power up ... )
No drop outs, stable low latency, ADAT works and midi is tight as ever ... happy so far.
Old 6th January 2019 | Show parent
Oop
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
just another info ...
(FYI: the babyface needs to be connected to both usb ports on the calgit dock to power up ... )
No drop outs, stable low latency, ADAT works and midi is tight as ever ... happy so far.
What was the low latency issue you were facing and what DAW do you use? My only problem with my mini currently is low latency performance. Crackles all over the place.

Before I invest in a TB3 dock, wanted to confirm if other users are facing similar issues and if it's resolved. I migrated from a MBP backup and I'm hoping that isn't the cause.
Old 7th January 2019
Here for the gear

Ok, I spoke too soon. I was working in Ableton this afternoon remote with just my new MBP speakers. I went over to youtube to see if there was a video on a certain hot key. After about 5 minutes of youtube play, audio started crackling/stuttering, and then when someone called me and the notification appeared on screen, that audio sounded like a duck or a fart noise.
I made the mistake of quitting some things before calling Apple. They were useless, but I'm going to call them back once the issue shows up again.
I'm glad I was just on the MBP speakers and at a low volume when this happened.
Update - issue appeared again and the tech had me reset the NVRAM by holding command, option, P and R keys when turning the machine on. Since then, I've been running audio for over an hour with multiple apps running - youtube clip on Safari for 45 minutes, Ableton Live in the background, and now just running iTunes on shuffle. So far, no issues.
TBD on whether this is a temporary fix or it does not appear again.
Old 12th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi Guys,

any news on this issue?

I'm on a MBP 13'' - mid2012 i7 8GB of RAM. OSX Mojave, 10.14.2
RME Fireface 400.
Using LPX and Ableton Live. Both are affected.

The strange "hack" with the Battery Manager didn't help.
turning off /getting rid of:
WiFi, iCloud, Spotlight, Notifications, apsd, watchdog etc.. did NOT help!

Problem occurs (cpu spikes) when recording/playing with low latency -> most notable from 128 samples and below with small data packet size.

important side note: On Sierra recording/playback with 64 samples was not a problem at all!!!

Noticed something strange in the terminal. Something is complaining about something with "usb". Tomorrow I'll try to unplug all usb (mostly usb midi devices..) and test again.

So the Problem occur only with the Fireface 400!!! With the build in/out there are no dropouts!
uninstalled the RME drivers. then clean driver install again (removed ALL old files in my system!)
the problem still exists on the Fireface with low latencies.
Old 12th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop ➡️
What was the low latency issue you were facing and what DAW do you use? My only problem with my mini currently is low latency performance. Crackles all over the place.

Before I invest in a TB3 dock, wanted to confirm if other users are facing similar issues and if it's resolved. I migrated from a MBP backup and I'm hoping that isn't the cause.
I was talking about the USB2 drop out problems and crackles.
This was solved by the TB3 dock from the rme thread.

i just installed cubase pro 10 and the latest logic update.
so far in cubase: can go down to 32/64 samples and start writing/playing
using a lot of vst synths and stock eq/efx. audio recording works too.
same in logic - but as always logic seems to be better optimized ...
In higher mixing type sample rates above 256 i don't have any problems
and can load zillions of plug ins without drop outs ... it's 12 cores after all ....

BUT ...

Both DAWs have cpu/asio spiking problems when a synth (midi) track is set to record!
The problem is when in record mode only 1 core is getting all the cpu load
for that synth track (including efx on THAT track), cpu balancing is not working.
So this can be a bit touchy ...

over all i really like the mini.
it get's pretty hot and sometimes the fan comes on.
only thing i am a bit worried about: all cables on the back are getting the
full amount of hot air! so i tied them together and bend them away from the fan.

hope that helps .. cheers
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
There are no fixes from what I can tell. I tried them all. I took my i9 MacBook Pro into the Apple store to make sure the hardware was all 100% and it was.

In the meantime I had been hired to record a 6 piece band for a full 2 day session. So I found a top of the line 2015 on Craigslist, and ran my 2 Slate Vrs-8s for 2 days straight with no issues with that computer. Low latencies, 16 tracks, 96k, the whole deal. FLAWLESS. These new computers are f$$kef for recording. Great for mixing and playback, but recording, forget it.

Edit: same os on both computers (Mojave).
Old 13th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
There are no fixes from what I can tell. I tried them all. I took my i9 MacBook Pro into the Apple store to make sure the hardware was all 100% and it was.

In the meantime I had been hired to record a 6 piece band for a full 2 day session. So I found a top of the line 2015 on Craigslist, and ran my 2 Slate Vrs-8s for 2 days straight with no issues with that computer. Low latencies, 16 tracks, 96k, the whole deal. FLAWLESS. These new computers are f$$kef for recording. Great for mixing and playback, but recording, forget it.

Edit: same os on both computers (Mojave).
This is what I came to after a lot of experimenting as well. Big screw up from Apple IMO.
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
just another info ...
do you have the dual DisplayPort or dual HDMI cal digit dock? I'm still getting dropouts with the dual DisplayPort version
Old 16th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Both DAWs have cpu/asio spiking problems when a synth (midi) track is set to record!
The problem is when in record mode only 1 core is getting all the cpu load
for that synth track (including efx on THAT track), cpu balancing is not working.
So this can be a bit touchy ...
I'm having a similar issue on a new Mac Mini. When I'm not recording, everything is balanced, CPU usage is very, very low. As soon as I select a track for recording -- even an audio track, but especially a software instrument track -- single-core usage spikes, sometimes to nearly 100%. This seems to happen whether or not I'm in low-latency mode. Spikes are much higher at lower buffer settings (I can record at 128, but 64 or 32 seems to only work with no or few plugins in the project).

My routing includes bussing -- tracks go to submixes, which go to a master mix, which goes to the Stereo Output -- but even in a blank project where tracks just go straight to the Stereo Output, the CPU usage climbs in a really unusual manner when I record-arm a track.

I did a clean install of Logic, so at first I thought maybe this was a configuration thing, but I can't seem to figure it out from that angle.

For whatever it's worth, I'm using a TB interface (Clarett 8pre) connected to a TB3 port through the Apple adapter.

Last edited by AlpacaRoom; 16th January 2019 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Oops, forgot the interface details
Old 17th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I had an issue with MBP2018 High Sierra where the screen would freeze for a moment and get CPU spikes
I think the touch bar is causing problems.
When changing volume I'll get spikes. I can get rid of that but the screen freezing, i solved this by turning off application specific touch bar. So it's static on brightness controls and volume, etc instead of showing logic based controls.
Using function then shows me that of i need. It's they need to fix that.
Does the touchbar use dedicated CPU?
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The CalDigit dock is DEFINITELY a good idea. Even when mixing, I'd get dropouts sometimes on the USB bus. Not anymore, much more solid.

I had a clean install done at the Apple Store and certain things are definitely performing better. I haven't tried recording yet, but mixing/mastering is definitely better. Gonna try some recording tomorrow.
📝 Reply