The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thunderbolt 3 Audio interface?
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thunderbolt 3 Audio interface?

Hi there,
Now we are in the age of Thunderbolt 3 . What's the best tb3 audio interface?
I only know UA has only 1 real tb3 audio interface.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I’d be more concerned with things like how many channels you need, looking for features that would benefit your workflow and setup, such as monitor controls, talkback, quality of the conversion, preamps (if you need them), reputation of the firmware etc...

It sounds like you are running a new computer, so not only can you connect a tb3 interface to it but also tb2, tb1, usb3, usb2 with no issues. Tb3 will pass on the 1’s and 0’s just as well. I’m not sure what you’re imagining how the digital protocol in and of itself will benefit you in choosing an interface.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The only reason I would buy a Thunderbolt 3 interface at this point is my aversion to adapters, because for some odd reason Thunderbolt 2 to 3 cables don’t exist. But there is literally zero improvement in speed or latency with 3 over even TB 1.
Old 26th July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack ➡️
The only reason I would buy a Thunderbolt 3 interface at this point is my aversion to adapters, because for some odd reason Thunderbolt 2 to 3 cables don’t exist. But there is literally zero improvement in speed or latency with 3 over even TB 1.
STARTECH Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter Backward Compatible(TBT3TBTADAP), Black: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets
Old 26th July 2018 | Show parent
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Right, missed your aversion to adapters. That said, mine's replacing my FW800 connection to my Apollo so 20gb/s will have to do...
Old 26th July 2018

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman413 ➡️
Hi there,
Now we are in the age of Thunderbolt 3 . What's the best tb3 audio interface?
I only know UA has only 1 real tb3 audio interface.
Still too soon to have broad TB3 choices...

And for the time being, TB2 will give you more options with longer cable lengths.

Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter is working fine for me.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Nut

Three years later... and counting

I am tired of postponing upgrading my DAC and laptop... because of the lack of TB3 portable-able interface DAC releases.

Four years already from Thunderbolt 3 launch and only UA's Arrow is barely in this tier feature wise??? Not enough for me though.

We are over two years now that laptops are only released with Thunderbolt 3 and we have to face such dry landscape in the DAC interface territory. Manufacturers awake already! Please?

Read this 2017 thread:
Thunderbolt 3 audio interface ?

///In my case of travelling DJ and post/production duties I need a portable DAC (so it has to cost below 1 grand, who wants to travel with costly stuff?), silent Sabre ESS converters, ADAT ins and outs to also do its studio work when at home and elsewhere. Include a minimum of MIC/line inputs, together with 4 or more Outputs and headphone outs. In Windows of course.

Very much the same features as a Zoom TAC-8, only that it should have Sabre ESS converters and Thunderbolt 3.
Is this too difficult to accomplish, too much to ask for (less than $1000)??
How long will we need to wait for such?
One, two or three extra years?

...Portable, latency-free, silent, excellent sounding yet accessible interfaces are really that far away?
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Most likely there will not be any TB3 interfaces.

The UA Arrow has the connector but runs at TB2 speeds.

TB3 is more about video.

Old 1st August 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou ➡️
Most likely there will not be any TB3 interfaces.

The UA Arrow has the connector but runs at TB2 speeds.

TB3 is more about video.

Well, not really looking for 40 Gbps speeds, but for dongle-free, trouble-free connection between my laptop and varied gear.
Which TB3 handles gracefully, in my case including a Firewire control surface (here goes an unavoidable TB3-FW dongle already, that luckily will be used at my homestudio).

More important than raw speed, are TB3's latency free, daisy chain able features, all in a single future proof connector. Directly connected to a powerful laptop, which already houses the DAW, and all mastering, mixing and performing duties and all their associated plugins, multiple audio/midi channels and outboard gear.

TB3 is quite complementary to what an audio interface is asked for, why not provide such powerful simplicity?

Data: More than two years to now, ALL Thunderbolt connectors in manufactured laptops have been TB3.
TB2 is legacy in the computing world.
📝 Reply