Quantcast
Metric Halo 3D Is Here - Page 160 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metric Halo 3D Is Here
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj ➡️
Sure - and we will continue to improve this.

The reason that there is a "key command" for "Check for Update…" is that there is one menu command for "Check for Update…" and menu commands automatically can have key commands added to them. Note that there is no key command assigned by default because it's obviously not a command that you need to access very often; but the infrastructure allows you to associate a key command with every menu command so it is in that list automatically.

The problem with "headphone mute" and "channel mute" is that the system has an arbitrary number of "headphones" and "channels", and they change dynamically, so adding commands for those is dynamic or requires adding a potentially large number of dangling 'placeholder' commands.

For the cues, it probably makes sense to have placeholder commands for the first cue; the question is what to do about the second cue through the Nth cue that you create. Or should the command(s) apply in a context-sensitive way via some sort of selection mechanism?

For mute a channel or solo a channel, you have the same problem. Which channel(s) do you mean?

Do you want a command for each of the channels, or for the first N channels?

Or do you want a command to toggle the mute (or solo) for the currently selected channels? or something else?

In something like the Wing, there is a mute button per channel - there is no context sensitivity. In MIOConsole we have that as well - with the buttons in the UI and with Control Surface mapped buttons. But key commands require either direct mapping (which seems unwieldy for channel mute) or some sort of context selection. So it would be very helpful to have some elaboration of what you expect.

The best way to see these sorts of features is to file a feature request via the help menu, and to be mindful of the sort of points I am raising above.

You probably have something in mind for the way you envision the command working. Please explain it (in as much detail as you can).

If we don't understand the request or feel that the implementation would be cumbersome, we probably won't address it (or at at the very least won't prioritize it, as we don't have a clear picture of how to implement it).

If you provide a clear request, with a clear motivation, it is much more likely to get addressed sooner than later.
A quick question, if i send a feature request from the software should I expect an email acknowledgement that it was received?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician ➡️
What I like to expect is:
-a mix knob on the EQs: essential for sound design and shaping
Fair enough; that said, you can do this with a graph today...

You should file a feature request.

Quote:
-a tape bus plugin: tape sweetens audio like no other
Also fair enough. That said, there are a lot of sweetners in the package already - have you tried them all?

Quote:
- midi CC control of MIO: of faders, mutes etc. so automation of the mixer is possible from a sequencer, hard- or software
Already on the list. This can be done with Mackie control protocol for a fixed mixer. But obviously there is a lot of things that could be controlled with flexible midi mapping.

Quote:
- edgecards with either 8 extra analog ins or outs or 4in/outs on dsub
I would also like interfaces with more IO per box with an little operational screen like uln16 that can work fully standalone and be automated via midi.
All very nice and in the plan, but the current parts situation has definitely slowed us down.

Quote:
But what roadmap MH has overall always remains a mystery.. but they are great in support of their products and are still able to surprise with their tech.
The roadmap is:
  • make what existing customers have better over time with software updates.
  • make sure what is supported today keeps working in light of changes from OS vendors.
  • support more of what isn't supported now in the future.
  • Always add functionality that supports our customers.
  • Make more variations of what we got (interfaces, processors, edge cards) to support more use cases. This last one is very difficult to predict right now because of supply chain constraints.
If we explicitly say "we are going to do X" people make plans as if it is going to happen imminently, and then get disappointed or angry when things don't go as they think they will. That's independent of whether or not things go as we think they will - which is always hard to predict, and in the current supply chain climate, pretty much impossible to predict.

So at this point (and this is true of all products from all companies - not just our products from our company) - if it does what you need it to do, today, great! In the case of MH and MIOs, I think we have shown that beyond that, the products will only get better with time. If it doesn't do what you need it to do, and something else does - you should get the thing that supports your needs today, because it will work for you today.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelgrian ➡️
A quick question, if i send a feature request from the software should I expect an email acknowledgement that it was received?
We generally only respond to feature requests or bug reports if
  • We need clarification or additional information
  • We understand the nature of the problem and can provide a workaround
  • We are sure the problem isn't in our system and let the customer know that they need to contact someone else for help

In the future we may add an email response with a tracking number.

But you can always follow up with support to see if it was received or if you want to provide additional information.

It is pretty important that you provide a valid email address with the bug report if you want a followup or to be able to followup with support, so we can actually contact you and also so we can search for your report.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In the case of MH…. If it doesn't do what you need it to do, and something else does - you should get the thing that supports your needs today, because it will work for you today.
If you run a business, this should be tattooed on your brain. You use the tools that are available now, not what a vendor hinted at or promised. If the tools don’t work, find something that does.

In the OPs case, I’d just be really wary of investing in all-in-one solutions made by a vendor with a less than stellar history of support and product maintenance.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What about Dante or/and AES 67 Edgecard? It would be so usefull for many peoples...
3d MHLink on Apple M1

Are there people here who experienced cracks in audio playback on M1 machines?

I just switched from a perfectly stable running 2013 model Mac Pro 10 core to a MacBook Pro 16" M1Pro. With the new M1Pro and the standard Belkin ethernet to USB-C adapter audio playback is not stable anymore. Every bit of CPU hit produces those crackles in the audio output. It's not usable. Tried another ethernet to Thunderbolt 3 adapters with all kind of tweaks from MH FAQ without any success.

I would try to re-install the driver, but I can't find a way to do even uninstall.

Anyone here who experienced the same and solved this? Ticket is out, not heard anything yet. Time's runnig towards the next 7 day recording session.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz ➡️
Are there people here who experienced cracks in audio playback on M1 machines?
It's working here on M1 MacMini (built-in ethernet and TB adapters) and an M1 Pro MBP 16" (TB Adapters) without dropouts or clicks.

I do use the Apple TB3 -> TB2 chained to the Apple TB2 GigE adapter rather than a USB3/C GigE adapter. Alternatively, you should see similar performance with a TB3 to 10GB adapter (there are a few of these on the market). Both the Apple TB2 GigE and the third party 10GB adapters use a much more efficient Apple driver for the underlying network hardware.

The Apple built-in driver for USB GigE adapters is not super efficient, unfortunately. We have reported bugs about this to Apple.
Quote:
It's working here on M1 MacMini (built-in ethernet and TB adapters) and an M1 Pro MBP 16" (TB Adapters) without dropouts or clicks.

I do use the Apple TB3 -> TB2 chained to the Apple TB2 GigE adapter rather than a USB3/C GigE adapter. Alternatively, you should see similar performance with a TB3 to 10GB adapter (there are a few of these on the market). Both the Apple TB2 GigE and the third party 10GB adapters use a much more efficient Apple driver for the underlying network hardware.

The Apple built-in driver for USB GigE adapters is not super efficient, unfortunately. We have reported bugs about this to Apple.
I also tested with a quite expensive QNAP Ethernet to TB3 adapter, but it had the same effect. Also with the jumbo 9000 frame setting. I’ll try the daisy chain now asap as you described. Thanks for the hint.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz ➡️
I also tested with a quite expensive QNAP Ethernet to TB3 adapter, but it had the same effect. Also with the jumbo 9000 frame setting. I’ll try the daisy chain now asap as you described. Thanks for the hint.
Was it the Sonnettech? I just bought one of those looking for a solution for a 2019 MBP, although the ULN-8 at 192k seems more stable so far using the box’s USB-C connection and a Thunderbolt3 cable.
Gear Nut

Quote:
We generally only respond to feature requests or bug reports if
  • We need clarification or additional information
  • We understand the nature of the problem and can provide a workaround
  • We are sure the problem isn't in our system and let the customer know that they need to contact someone else for help

In the future we may add an email response with a tracking number.

But you can always follow up with support to see if it was received or if you want to provide additional information.

It is pretty important that you provide a valid email address with the bug report if you want a followup or to be able to followup with support, so we can actually contact you and also so we can search for your report.
Adding an auto response with a tracking number and the above explanation of when/if to expect a human to respond would be very good.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Valid points made I suppose.

What I like to expect is:
-a mix knob on the EQs: essential for sound design and shaping
-a tape bus plugin: tape sweetens audio like no other
- midi CC control of MIO: of faders, mutes etc. so automation of the mixer is possible from a sequencer, hard- or software
- edgecards with either 8 extra analog ins or outs or 4in/outs on dsub

I would also like interfaces with more IO per box with an little operational screen like uln16 that can work fully standalone and be automated via midi.

But what roadmap MH has overall always remains a mystery.. but they are great in support of their products and are still able to surprise with their tech.
You can create a dry/wet mix knob with a plugin graph.

I haven’t tested with the eq but works for the compressor so should be fine.
Gear Nut

Quote:

Every single USB-C to Ethernet dongle and many USB-C and even thunderbolt docks use a Realtek chipset usually the RTL8156 family and it simply isn't very good and issues with Apple's driver make it worse.

My recommendation is a Caldigit Thunderbolt 3 Minidock which contains a Intel Ethernet chip attached via PCI-E. These things are cheap enough that it might even make financial sense to bundle one with the ULN-8 and only support MH-Link connected using it when using machines without built in Ethernet.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Every single USB-C to Ethernet dongle and many USB-C and even thunderbolt docks use a Realtek chipset usually the RTL8156 family and it simply isn't very good and issues with Apple's driver make it worse.

My recommendation is a Caldigit Thunderbolt 3 Minidock which contains a Intel Ethernet chip attached via PCI-E. These things are cheap enough that it might even make financial sense to bundle one with the ULN-8 and only support MH-Link connected using it when using machines without built in Ethernet.
Seems out of stock in the US, but I am still looking.

I am on my third Adaptor looking for a solution that won’t hog my CPU, which is directly associated with crackles and dropouts. I blame Apple…their “Pro” hardware really has gotten lousy in the last few years.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
These things are cheap enough that it might even make financial sense to bundle one with the ULN-8 and only support MH-Link connected using it when using machines without built in Ethernet.
I don't see how that would benefit anyone but Caldigit.

For what it's worth I've been using MHLink over built-in enet on a 2012 MacBook Pro (pre-retina) and M1 iMac (built into power brick) and I have used the enet on the OWC Thunderbolt Dock and the Apple usb-c adapter. I haven't had any issues using any of those MHLink connections. I usually run 4 of my 3D interfaces on a netgear switch along with an Eventide Emote Link, most of my cables are plain cat5e. Again, no issues here. I've never had crackles or noise or dropped audio over MHLink. I don't discount anyone else's experience here, just adding mine.

Last edited by Phigwalla; 1 week ago at 11:28 PM.. Reason: words
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWorthin ➡️
Seems out of stock in the US, but I am still looking.

I am on my third Adaptor looking for a solution that won’t hog my CPU, which is directly associated with crackles and dropouts. I blame Apple…their “Pro” hardware really has gotten lousy in the last few years.
Every USB-C adaptor is the same switching brands will not help. They all suffer from the same hardware and driver issues.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Every USB-C adaptor is the same switching brands will not help. They all suffer from the same hardware and driver issues.
Good to know…thanks
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phigwalla ➡️

For what it's worth I've been using MHLink over built-in enet on a 2012 MacBook Pro (pre-retina) and M1 iMac (built into power brick) and I have used the enet on the OWC Thunderbolt Dock and the Apple usb-c adapter. I haven't had any issues using any of those MHLink connections. I usually run 4 of my 3D interfaces on a netgear switch along with an Eventide Emote Link, most of my cables are plain cat5e. Again, no issues here. I've never had crackles or noise or dropped audio over MHLink. I don't discount anyone else's experience here, just adding mine.
The OWC dock probably contains either an Intel or Broadcom chipset. For internal Ethernet Apple have a long history of using Broadcom chipsets.

Apple don't make a USB-C Ethernet adaptor they only resell a Belkin one which is based on the problematic Realtek chipset.

I'm not sure yet what is inside the Ethernet in the power brick thing.

It's also possible that the act of putting a switch in between would resolve issues depending on the exact details of the buffering inside the switch. Again almost all small switches are based on 'switch on chip' products from a handful of vendors.

As long as it is Cat5e the cable is irrelevant as it needs to be the correct spec for gigabit Ethernet, cat 6 or 6a which is designed for 10GE simply doesn't make any difference.

The benefit of single configurations is reduced support costs and fewer reputations issues with people claiming that your product doesn't work when actually it's something else causing the issue.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The OWC dock probably contains either an Intel or Broadcom chipset. For internal Ethernet Apple have a long history of using Broadcom chipsets.
For GigE, the Intel i21x chipset is OK, but the Broadcom chipset is the best (as far as driver performance goes - the Intel is better than USB, but the Apple driver for the Broadcom chips has the best performance; and we have reported this to Apple).

As far as I know, the only way to get the broadcom chipset is to get a Mac with Ethernet built-in *or* to get the Apple TB2 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter (which, on TB3 machine also requires the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter).

The Acquanta 10 GBE chipset is what is used in the 10GB builtin NICs and also has a high-performance driver. AFAIK, all the TB3 10GBE adapters that are compatible with Mac have that chipset.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
For GigE, the Intel i21x chipset is OK, but the Broadcom chipset is the best (as far as driver performance goes - the Intel is better than USB, but the Apple driver for the Broadcom chips has the best performance; and we have reported this to Apple).

As far as I know, the only way to get the broadcom chipset is to get a Mac with Ethernet built-in *or* to get the Apple TB2 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter (which, on TB3 machine also requires the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter).

The Acquanta 10 GBE chipset is what is used in the 10GB builtin NICs and also has a high-performance driver. AFAIK, all the TB3 10GBE adapters that are compatible with Mac have that chipset.
I’m about to take delivery of a uln8 mk IV and feeling a little confused about how I should be connecting it to my computer for best reliability. Obviously I don’t want to be experiencing crackles etc. I’ll be using a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro 16” and a 2019 Mac Pro. Is usb-c going to be fine (Which is what I had planned) or do I need to get this whole thunderbolt 2 to Ethernet + Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter solution? Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sure - and we will continue to improve this.

The reason that there is a "key command" for "Check for Update…" is that there is one menu command for "Check for Update…" and menu commands automatically can have key commands added to them. Note that there is no key command assigned by default because it's obviously not a command that you need to access very often; but the infrastructure allows you to associate a key command with every menu command so it is in that list automatically.

The problem with "headphone mute" and "channel mute" is that the system has an arbitrary number of "headphones" and "channels", and they change dynamically, so adding commands for those is dynamic or requires adding a potentially large number of dangling 'placeholder' commands.

For the cues, it probably makes sense to have placeholder commands for the first cue; the question is what to do about the second cue through the Nth cue that you create. Or should the command(s) apply in a context-sensitive way via some sort of selection mechanism?

For mute a channel or solo a channel, you have the same problem. Which channel(s) do you mean?

Do you want a command for each of the channels, or for the first N channels?

Or do you want a command to toggle the mute (or solo) for the currently selected channels? or something else?

In something like the Wing, there is a mute button per channel - there is no context sensitivity. In MIOConsole we have that as well - with the buttons in the UI and with Control Surface mapped buttons. But key commands require either direct mapping (which seems unwieldy for channel mute) or some sort of context selection. So it would be very helpful to have some elaboration of what you expect.

The best way to see these sorts of features is to file a feature request via the help menu, and to be mindful of the sort of points I am raising above.

You probably have something in mind for the way you envision the command working. Please explain it (in as much detail as you can).

If we don't understand the request or feel that the implementation would be cumbersome, we probably won't address it (or at at the very least won't prioritize it, as we don't have a clear picture of how to implement it).

If you provide a clear request, with a clear motivation, it is much more likely to get addressed sooner than later.
Thanks bj, understood and appreciated. For the most part my use case is ridiculously simple so the solutions *appear* like they shouldn't be far away but as you scale mixer size up, switch between saved MIO Consoles etc I understand these are complex challenges. Could midi or key stroke learn not work in some respect?
Anyway, I'll post a feature request.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear ➡️
I’m about to take delivery of a uln8 mk IV and feeling a little confused about how I should be connecting it to my computer for best reliability. Obviously I don’t want to be experiencing crackles etc. I’ll be using a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro 16” and a 2019 Mac Pro. Is usb-c going to be fine (Which is what I had planned) or do I need to get this whole thunderbolt 2 to Ethernet + Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter solution? Thanks
Just USB? Or USB->Ethernet ?

Just USB should be fine.

Thunderbolt 2 to Ethernet + Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter is fine.

And USB-C to Ethernet is currently suboptimal on M1 because Realtek has not yet shipped an Apple silicon compatible driver, and the Apple driver is suboptimal.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear ➡️
If you have a Catalina system, then you will have to reduce the input number of channels to the computer via USB by a factor of "four". Namely, from 48 to 12, otherwise there will be constant "crackles" and breaks in sound, including recording in the Session.
I really hope that MH will fix this problem - but so far it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phigwalla ➡️

We’re talking about M1 here. I also never had problems with Intel Macs. The situation with M1 is not cool right now.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomStudios ➡️
If you have a Catalina system, then you will have to reduce the input number of channels to the computer via USB by a factor of "four". Namely, from 48 to 12, otherwise there will be constant "crackles" and breaks in sound, including recording in the Session.
I really hope that MH will fix this problem - but so far it is.
The question was about M1 thus the user must have at least Big Sur/macOS 11.

The summary so far for the best performance seem to be:

- Use direct USB connection, yes there are some configuration where this seems problematic but there are also a lot of people using it just fine.

- Use MHLink with a Mac with built in to the chassis Ethernet which will usually be a Broadcom chipset. This includes the 24" M1 iMac as according to:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac...eardown/142850

There is a Broadcom chipset built in to the Mac the special PSU with the Ethernet jack on it is simply a cable connected to that.

- Use MHLink with a Thunderbolt Dock containing a Broadcom (prefered) or Intel chipset.

- Use MHLink with the Apple TB3 to TB2 adaptor plus the TB2 to GE adaptor. This gets you a Broadcom chipset connected via Thunderbolt.

- Use MHLink with any Thunderbolt to 10GE adaptor as they are all based on the Acquanta chipset.

Things to avoid are:

- Any direct USB-C to GE adaptor as they are all based on the Realtek chipset.

- Any dock which claims to support USB-C device without Thunderbolt as it will contain a Realtek chipset.

@ mh_bj see

https://overengineer.dev/blog/2021/0...b-madness.html

It's depressing.
Quote:
Was it the Sonnettech? I just bought one of those looking for a solution for a 2019 MBP, although the ULN-8 at 192k seems more stable so far using the box’s USB-C connection and a Thunderbolt3 cable.
It was the QNAP Ethernet > TB3 QNA-T310G1
Didn't work properly.
Quote:
- Use MHLink with any Thunderbolt to 10GE adaptor as they are all based on the Acquanta chipset.
Thought so too, but see my post about the QNAP 10G adapter. Doesn't work any better than the cheap USB-C adapters.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi Guys.

I'm a beginner setting up a home studio.

I was looking for a good audio interface, I had heard about Metric Halo. But for a beginner and for the price, out of the question.

And this week I bought a used Metric Halo ULN-8, just because the price was ridiculously low.

But the truth is that I don't know how to use the Metric.

I see some 25 Pin D-Sub Connectors. What do I do with them?

Where do I connect my guitar? My two audio monitors and the microphones?

Could someone help me? Please.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton ➡️
Hi Guys.

I'm a beginner setting up a home studio.

I was looking for a good audio interface, I had heard about Metric Halo. But for a beginner and for the price, out of the question.

And this week I bought a used Metric Halo ULN-8, just because the price was ridiculously low.

But the truth is that I don't know how to use the Metric.

I see some 25 Pin D-Sub Connectors. What do I do with them?

Where do I connect my guitar? My two audio monitors and the microphones?

Could someone help me? Please.
You will need breakout cables like these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...h-snake-5-foot

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...h-snake-5-foot

They come with two sets of screws; you will need to install the ones that fit the DB25 on the ULN-8.

It is a wonderful interface. Congrats!
Here for the gear
Quote:
You will need breakout cables like these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...h-snake-5-foot

They come with two sets of screws; you will need to install the ones that fit the DB25 on the ULN-8.

The breakout cables for microphones and external gear. You can connect your monitors to the two TRS jacks on the back, and if you are not going to mic your guitar amp, you can use the DI inputs and model amps in software.

Download the manual at the MH website to get started.
Here for the gear

Quote:

Thanks man, really!

Now I understand.

That was something that was worrying me. ☺
📝 Reply