The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio One 4 Vs Cubase 10 - Who Is King!
Old 22nd May 2018

🎧 5 years
Studio One 4 Vs Cubase 10 - Who Is King!

It looks like Studio one 4 has just come out. I'm a Cubase 10 (correction I meant 9.5) user, that is considering Studio One 4. For anyone of you that get and use Studio one 4 and Cubase 10 which do you think is better for midi and VSTs.

No Wars, just info of your experience please facepalm:
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cubase 10 hasn't been released, yet.
Old 22nd May 2018
Deleted User
Cubase kills S1Pro for midi, yes I have both.
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
PreSonus Studio One v4.6 beats crap out of your version of Cubase 10.
Old 22nd May 2018 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken ➑️
Cubase 10 hasn't been released, yet.
By Bad I meant 9.5. I guess 10 was wishful thinking on my part

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallTone ➑️
PreSonus Studio One v4.6 beats crap out of your version of Cubase 10.
I'm kind of a newbe so forgive my ignorance. How does it beat the crap about it.
Can you give examples so I can better understand it. Thanks

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➑️
Cubase kills S1Pro for midi, yes I have both.
I'm kind of a newbie, so forgive my ignorance. How does Cubase kill Studio One.
Old 23rd May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocket ➑️
I'm kind of a newbe so forgive my ignorance. How does it beat the crap about it.
My bad. Both are future versions - so no one but developers could ever know.
Answering your question: both have strong sides and fit someone' workflow.
So it is worth of comparing both side by side for your tasks/projects.

I personally switched from C8.5. Then few times was trying to force myself go back (even finished some old project on it). But there is no way back to Cubase for me.
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It looks like Studio one 4 has just come out. I'm a Cubase 10 (correction I meant 9.5) user, that is considering Studio One 4. For anyone of you that get and use Studio one 4 and Cubase 10 which do you think is better for midi and VSTs.

No Wars, just info of your experience please facepalm:

Create Without Boundaries β€’ Produce Without Limits ...... that's the current tag line on the version 4 main page

BS. On a fast check, Studio One version 4.......... created by former Steinberg Nuendo guys........ has a transport that STILL can not slave to incoming time code..much less do any slaving on a sample-accurate basis........ STILL can not generate smpte for master purposes in a large system such as a daw farm or multiple slaved computers for film etc.

So two things..... "I" and others can NOT create on Studio one without boundaries , nor can "I" and others Produce without limits.

This thing is not there yet. Maybe the Studio One name was chosen to hammer in the concept that "this daw will not talk to anything but itself".

It has a slightly better interface look than Reaper, and about the same look imo as the now-free Cakewalk. But even Reaper (I believe)...and Cakewalk... can work in the context of slave/master in large systems.

The only reason I can think of that the ex-Nuendo guys haven't built slave-sync in is because they're convinced they're selling to a dumbed-down crowd... plus...a lot of the Presonus interfaces themselves don't have sync capabilities anyway... or maybe they do. I never look. But that would be even more puzzling.....

Cubase is where I need it to be and has been for many years. Particularly for use in a large system as master or slave...for audio or midi.. and with bazillions of running tracks and effects... not to mention sync to tape as a slave if need be.

There, that's "my" opinion.

If you're a guy sitting in the bedroom on one laptop and a few vstis and you want a self-contained daw that does not work in large sync systems...well....maybe you'll like Studio One.

I think a move from Cubase 9 to Studio One would be a step down in quality of life. imo of course.
Deleted User
Quote:
I'm kind of a newbie, so forgive my ignorance. How does Cubase kill Studio One.
1. Cubase has midi articulations, S1 does not
2. Cubase has instrument definitions which allows you to have external hardware synths show up by patch name, S1 does not (Patch changes by name if you will) which are SAVED with the project
3. Cubase has aftertouch which allows you to choke an e kit cymbal, S1 does not
4. Cubase allows you to create a software midi panel to control your midi how you like, S1 does not
5. CUbase goes to 128th note for quantize, S1 stops at 64th notes.
6. Cubase quantize options are quite extensive in comparison
7. Cubase has lots of MIDI plugins to manipulate the midi, S1 does not

and so on....

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➑️
Create Without Boundaries β€’ Produce Without Limits ...... that's the current tag line on the version 4 main page

BS. On a fast check, Studio One version 4.......... created by former Steinberg Nuendo guys........ has a transport that STILL can not slave to incoming time code..much less do any slaving on a sample-accurate basis........ STILL can not generate smpte for master purposes in a large system such as a daw farm or multiple slaved computers for film etc.

So two things..... "I" and others can NOT create on Studio one without boundaries , nor can "I" and others Produce without limits.

This thing is not there yet. Maybe the Studio One name was chosen to hammer in the concept that "this daw will not talk to anything but itself".

It has a slightly better interface look than Reaper, and about the same look imo as the now-free Cakewalk. But even Reaper (I believe)...and Cakewalk... can work in the context of slave/master in large systems.

The only reason I can think of that the ex-Nuendo guys haven't built slave-sync in is because they're convinced they're selling to a dumbed-down crowd... plus...a lot of the Presonus interfaces themselves don't have sync capabilities anyway... or maybe they do. I never look. But that would be even more puzzling.....

Cubase is where I need it to be and has been for many years. Particularly for use in a large system as master or slave...for audio or midi.. and with bazillions of running tracks and effects... not to mention sync to tape as a slave if need be.

There, that's "my" opinion.

If you're a guy sitting in the bedroom on one laptop and a few vstis and you want a self-contained daw that does not work in large sync systems...well....maybe you'll like Studio One.

I think a move from Cubase 9 to Studio One would be a step down in quality of life. imo of course.
Great feedback, thanks so much for your insights.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
2. Cubase has instrument definitions which allows you to have external hardware synths show up by patch name, S1 does not (Patch changes by name if you will) which are SAVED with the project
4. Cubase allows you to create a software midi panel to control your midi how you like, S1 does not

and so on....
Thanks that is good info, I made the right choice with Cubase then
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Studio One's main strength imho. is its Fast, Fluid, and Friendly WORKFLOW !

Great WORKFLOW, Yes, that is the single feature that made me use it more, and more every day, having been a Cubase Pro 9 user, Studio One Pro 3.5 was just more intuitive, and fit my workflow, and style of working much better than Cubase. Although Cubase has so much more editing tools, and features, especially for midi, I still prefer using S1Pro, it gives me all the tools I need to make music, fast, and smooth.
Deleted User
Quote:
Thanks that is good info, I made the right choice with Cubase then
It REALLY depends on your usage and needs my man. Like I said, I use and like both depending on what Im doing.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

and so on....
It is funny, but all things you mentioned does not make any sense and practical application to my particular workflow.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallTone ➑️
It is funny, but all things you mentioned does not make any sense and practical application to my particular workflow.
Thats why you use S1

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➑️
Studio One's main strength imho. is its Fast, Fluid, and Friendly WORKFLOW !

Great WORKFLOW, Yes, that is the single feature that made me use it more, and more every day, having been a Cubase Pro 9 user, Studio One Pro 3.5 was just more intuitive, and fit my workflow, and style of working much better than Cubase. Although Cubase has so much more editing tools, and features, especially for midi, I still prefer using S1Pro, it gives me all the tools I need to make music, fast, and smooth.
Thank you for sharing that. I'm going to take a deep look at the workflow and see how it fits me.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
3. Cubase has aftertouch
? I've heard of keyboards having aftertouch, not DAWs. Can you elaborate?
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 ➑️
? I've heard of keyboards having aftertouch, not DAWs. Can you elaborate?
S1 WILL NOT record aftertouch so if you need a cymbal choke on your e kit you are hosed. Cubase will record the controller for aftertouch which is MIDI
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
S1 WILL NOT record aftertouch so if you need a cymbal choke on your e kit you are hosed. Cubase will record the controller for aftertouch which is MIDI
S1Pro does record Aftertouch (Channel-Aftertouch), but it does not support recording Polyphonic Aftertouch/ Poly-Aftertouch, where a controller transmits multiple AT messages for each keyboard-key pressed simultaneously, and independently.
Deleted User
Quote:
S1Pro does record Aftertouch (Channel-Aftertouch), but it does not support recording Polyphonic Aftertouch/ Poly-Aftertouch, where a controller transmits multiple AT messages for each keyboard-key pressed simultaneously, and independently.
Yes I know the difference between the two controller types, however,

WE have been requesting this since version 1. Why is it that Cubase, Logic, Reaper, and so on can do this basic midi message function yet Presonus chooses to ignore every e-drummer on the planet?

I challenge you to choke a cymbal on an e kit there, good luck. $60 Reaper does this just fine.

IF you have a solution to this I am all ears
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes I know the difference between the two controller types, however,

WE have been requesting this since version 1. Why is it that Cubase, Logic, Reaper, and so on can do this basic midi message function yet Presonus chooses to ignore every e-drummer on the planet?

I challenge you to choke a cymbal on an e kit there, good luck. $60 Reaper does this just fine.

IF you have a solution to this I am all ears
I'm aware that Poly-Aftertouch support has been requested from Presonus ages ago, yet sadly, they seem to not deliver it, I wonder what is the issue ?

Is it a technical one, that can't be accomplished for a specific reason/s ? or just something they don't feel is a high-priority, although it has been requested by so many users ?

So far, I haven't had the need to use/record Poly-Aftertouch with my HW-Synth, so it really doesn't bother me that much. I don't use e-drum kits, so that might be an application that would make a difference, if Poly-Aftertouch is badly needed to choke groups of instruments, or ...etc.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
How does Cubase kill Studio One.
In general it doesn't kill it, but Cubase can handle more tracks of audio and midi. VST performance in Cubase is better. Also keep in mind Cubase has been around for 35 years now, Cubase audio for over 20. For this reason alone it is more mature. At the end of the day they are both going to do the job for the average user.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cubase would be my first choice if it had ARA for Melodyne
Had a Patcher such as FL Studio. (Well I can always use Bidule)
Handlels overlapping clips as S1, FL Studio and Reaper.

Yes Cubase is the Midi King and that is the reason it can be but is not my top choice.
I went for S1 3 and may get V4. Best to wait for Reaper 6 or possible see what happns
to Cakewalk.
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I found both rather unfriendly. To each their own.
Old 1st September 2018

🎧 10 years
Thumbs down Studio One, mayhem of bugs.

I have worked in Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase and Studio One and I seriously love Studio One's workflow and features, but the amount of bugs and problems I have encountered in Studio One is unprecedented. I have given Studio One all chances but I am now forced to give up and going back to Pro Tools now. My stint with Studio One has been a total sh*t show and I can't really see me returning to it anytime soon.

Regarding the comparison between Cubase and Studio One - when it comes to stability - Cubase wins hands down. Any other DAW, really, wins in comparison to Studio One. Hands down.
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm trialing Studio One Pro 4.1 at the moment (I'm a Cubase user and have been on it since exclusively since SL3).

Personally, I think v4 is a great step forward for Studio One and I just find myself making music with it naturally. The workflow is just smooth.

On my system (macOS High Sierra, with various popular plugins), I get crashes regularly with Cubase which is one of the main reasons I keep looking at alternatives.

Code:
fots ~ > Library > Logs > DiagnosticReports $ ll Cubase\ 9.5_2018-0*
[email protected] 1 fots  staff   80937 27 Aug 08:38 Cubase 9.5_2018-08-26-160200_Fotsies-MacBook-Pro.crash
[email protected] 1 fots  staff   87373  9 Sep 11:25 Cubase 9.5_2018-09-08-195931_Fotsies-MacBook-Pro.crash
[email protected] 1 fots  staff   87004 15 Sep 08:53 Cubase 9.5_2018-09-13-101713_Fotsies-MacBook-Pro.crash
[email protected] 1 fots  staff  184476 17 Sep 01:10 Cubase 9.5_2018-09-16-134047_Fotsies-MacBook-Pro.crash
[email protected] 1 fots  staff  182826 17 Sep 01:10 Cubase 9.5_2018-09-16-135055_Fotsies-MacBook-Pro.crash
[email protected] 1 fots  staff  186424 17 Sep 01:10 Cubase 9.5_2018-09-16-221918_Fotsies-MacBook-Pro.crash
[email protected] 1 fots  staff   98156 20 Sep 08:26 Cubase 9.5_2018-09-19-093304_Fotsies-MacBook-Pro.crash
[email protected] 1 fots  staff   80970 23 Sep 00:49 Cubase 9.5_2018-09-22-153913_Fotsies-MacBook-Pro.crash
[email protected] 1 fots  staff   93354 23 Sep 00:49 Cubase 9.5_2018-09-22-203705_Fotsies-MacBook-Pro.crash
I get a crash upon exit around 50% of the time when I leave Cubase, and occasionally get sudden poofs during producing (which is the worst thing ever). All my software is licensed, by reputable vendors and up to date, so I'm about ready to give up trying to figure out what makes Cubase crash like it does.

I recall Cubase being a lot more stable before Sierra.

By comparison, I haven't been able to crash Ableton Live, Studio One or Logic Pro X once. As such, I'm not sure I'd confidently say Cubase is the more stable product, it really depends on your OS and plugins (I suspect Windows is more stable for Cubase overall).

P.S.: I LOVE COOKIE MONSTER!!! (nice pic Musicmould)
Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Studio One 4th version works much more stable on High Sierra, than v.3.5.6 on Mavericks. Many plug-ins now don't cause problems.
Old 23rd September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't use e-drum kits, so that might be an application that would make a difference, if Poly-Aftertouch is badly needed to choke groups of instruments, or ...etc.
Just to clarify for those who don't realise:

Poly AT is absolutely-necessary for e-drum choking, and channel AT simply won't work.

Poly AT was the logical choice to use because drum kits almost always have more than 1 chokeable cymbal. If they only ever had a single such cymbal, channel AT would've been just-fine.
Old 12th November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User ➑️

and so on....
no one ever needs 128th note quantizing
πŸ“ Reply