The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio One 4 Vs Cubase 10 - Who Is King!
Old 22nd June 2020 | Show parent
  #61
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevbone1674 ➡️
Huh? What is Cubase stealing from Ableton? Lol
You must not be familiar with ableton lol!

The sample track, import tracks from projects, retrospective midi recording is a start.
Old 22nd June 2020 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx ➡️
You must not be familiar with ableton lol!

The sample track, import tracks from projects, retrospective midi recording is a start.
that's not really stealing from Albleton, they've been feature requests for ages.


Ableton is great but there is so much depth to Cubase it's hard to even start to compare.

For me any DAW not supporting Eucon is a no go.


M
Old 23rd June 2020 | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️
that's not really stealing from Albleton, they've been feature requests for ages.


Ableton is great but there is so much depth to Cubase it's hard to even start to compare.

For me any DAW not supporting Eucon is a no go.


M
Just curious, what daw had those features other than Ableton before Cubase?
Old 2nd July 2020
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
And Cubase 10.5 went on sale today...
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
  #65
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer ➡️
And Cubase 10.5 went on sale today...
That's usually a good sign that a major upgrade is in the queue.
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
  #66
Lives for gear
 
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy ➡️
That's usually a good sign that a major upgrade is in the queue.
There's always a major update in the queue, but if history is any indication it won't come out till November or so. It's also a good sign the company would like to stir up some business! The Steinberg update approach is better for the company than the customers (you have to pay annually usually, if you want it), and they're known to release unfinished features, but if you want great MIDI on the Windows side (like me) . . .
Old 2nd July 2020
  #67
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
And Presonus has an announcement July 7. Maybe v5?
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy ➡️
That's usually a good sign that a major upgrade is in the queue.
And in 2 years when Cubase 12 goes on sale.. I buy that. For now, I just got 10.5...
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
  #69
Lives for gear
 
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer ➡️
And in 2 years when Cubase 12 goes on sale.. I buy that. For now, I just got 10.5...
I've been on Studio One 2.6 for seven years, so the wisdom of staying with one version for a while isn't lost on me. I'd still use it if my needs weren't shifting away from vocal productions to instrumental music (need way better MIDI). I'd also note some of the highest paid remote studio musicians I know are still on Pro Tools 6, 7, and 8 for the same reason: a few more bells and whistles is rarely going to make your music any better, so why sweat latest/greatest.
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg ➡️
I've been on Studio One 2.6 for seven years, so the wisdom of staying with one version for a while isn't lost on me. I'd still use it if my needs weren't shifting away from vocal productions to instrumental music (need way better MIDI). I'd also note some of the highest paid remote studio musicians I know are still on Pro Tools 6, 7, and 8 for the same reason: a few more bells and whistles is rarely going to make your music any better, so why sweat latest/greatest.
I actually use Renoise for 99% of my music. I am keeping Cubase around for, "if I ever need it." Like, "working with Vocalists, and mastering my tracks - after I've rendered them in Renoise.

Occasionally I will Rewire Renoise into Cubase and use some mixing functions, and stuff.

Having Cubase Pro is like having, "a zillion plugins, and tons of functionality, for very little cost."

I've yet to actually pay, "full price," for anything Cubase.

I think I got LE 10 years ago when I bought something. Artist a few years later on Black Friday... "Pro," @ version 9.5 during another one of these sales...

I just paid 40% off for 10.5... I figured, "eh," why not...

and yeah, like you said, "latest and greatest," whatever... around version 12, or 13, I'll upgrade again


Edit

For that matter... Every single piece of software I own, with the exception of Renoise, and some things from PSPaudioware, has been bought on sale -- or with an edu discount, as I'm currently a grad student - having returned to school for my masters and than likely my phd

Its only been during this Covid that I got my first Waves and Plugin Alliance plugins - aside from "one knob louder," which was freeware, and the handful of Brainworx things that I had that were freeware...

I got Synth Squad on a Black Friday - I forget what it dropped to. I picked it up for less than $100.

BFD 3 I bought in the KVR marketplace. Even though I'm banned from KVR, when I saw somebody was selling that and 5 expansions for nothing, haha, I made a dummy account, and picked that.


Latest and greatest haha!! I'm like the Flea Market shopper of software.

Last edited by Wolf LeProducer; 2nd July 2020 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Cause I'm a thrifty software shopper
Old 2nd July 2020
  #71
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Im a former cubase user now on ableton, I was going to purchase Padshop 2 at $139 but saw that Cubase 10.5 comes with it and my update price is only $119. If I update Cubase 10.5 and receive Padshop 2, does anyone know if I can use Padshop 2 in Ableton as well?
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
  #72
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx ➡️
Im a former cubase user now on ableton, I was going to purchase Padshop 2 at $139 but saw that Cubase 10.5 comes with it and my update price is only $119. If I update Cubase 10.5 and receive Padshop 2, does anyone know if I can use Padshop 2 in Ableton as well?
I own Cubase 10 and Padshop works in Studio One vst3 no problem. Would of thought Ableton would too tho I don't know for sure as i don't use it, hope it helps
Old 3rd July 2020 | Show parent
  #73
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceye ➡️
I own Cubase 10 and Padshop works in Studio One vst3 no problem. Would of thought Ableton would too tho I don't know for sure as i don't use it, hope it helps
Thank you that’s all I needed to know, perfect!
Old 11th July 2020
  #74
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
So now with S1v5, how do they stack up?

S1 now has articulations and MPE, does it close the gap at all?
Old 11th July 2020
  #75
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocket ➡️
It looks like Studio one 4 has just come out. I'm a Cubase 10 (correction I meant 9.5) user, that is considering Studio One 4. For anyone of you that get and use Studio one 4 and Cubase 10 which do you think is better for midi and VSTs.

No Wars, just info of your experience please facepalm:
Easy, Cakewalk/Sonar/ Bandlab is better than both of them by far. Go look in the new product forum and read some of the new vst plug threads. If I have seen one I have seen a thousand problem posts with four main daws, Reaper, Studio 1 , Ableton, and Cubase. I never have any problems with Sonar/Bandlab. Super efficient, great tools, and now FREE!!.
Old 11th July 2020
  #76
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
Cubase will always win this for bang for buck value. If you do one specific thing its preference always preference... but if you look at overall features there's nothing S1 5 can do that Cubase cant, but Cubase has 5.1, that's bull on Presonus. On top of that 5.1 is one of the most requested features and still nothing. I'm a Pro Tools guys but even there, Cubase still wins on bang for buck, both are quality. I use Pro Tools for preference in workflow, and I toy around with LUNA because again similar workflow but still not completely Pro Tools.
Old 12th July 2020 | Show parent
  #77
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️
that's not really stealing from Albleton, they've been feature requests for ages.


Ableton is great but there is so much depth to Cubase it's hard to even start to compare.

For me any DAW not supporting Eucon is a no go.


M
I’m not sure what hardly any of those things are since I don’t have Ableton, but Tracktion had Timewarp (retrospective) MIDI and audio since 2015. Ableton looks to have added retrospective MIDI in 2018?
Old 12th July 2020
  #78
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Cubase 6.5. Before they made it a bit of eyesore and added a ton of stuff no one asked for.

Cubase is a pain in the ass sometimes, I can't believe you still have to make fake buss's to route mixer tracks to be able to record them in the timeline, re stuff like Overbridge. It is however, probably one of the best made DAW's in a lot of ways, it feels right, even with all the tat they added and the 90's vst routing.

I tried Studo One 5 a few days ago. It's getting better and better. I love how even 3rd part comps show their compressor envelope on the mixer. It seems the removed clip processing though, bad move imo. Maybe I just couldn't find it, I was more concerned with how it was syncing or not syncing.

Where as Cubase is getting a bit bloated, Studio One is getting slicker and slicker.
Old 13th July 2020
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Sybille's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I'm on the market for a new daw.. So which one ??

I saw the track syncing feature on Cubase, it looks very impressive.
Old 24th July 2020 | Show parent
  #80
Lives for gear
 
easyrider's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybille ➡️
I'm on the market for a new daw.. So which one ??

Depends what music you make...
Old 25th July 2020
  #81
Gear Maniac
 
If you had a chance to buy an original that is probably the best by quite a margin vs a clone what would you get?

Cubase S1

There is not even a need to compare really...
Old 25th July 2020 | Show parent
  #82
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi ➡️
Where as Cubase is getting a bit bloated, Studio One is getting slicker and slicker.

This whole "cubase is bloated" is like a cancer that has spread all over the internet. There is no bloat. If there are things that people do not need or do not understand how they would help them in their workflow it is not Steinberg's fault or problem.
Old 25th July 2020 | Show parent
  #83
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sv0gthir ➡️
This whole "cubase is bloated" is like a cancer that has spread all over the internet. There is no bloat. If there are things that people do not need or do not understand how they would help them in their workflow it is not Steinberg's fault or problem.
Yeah, because everyone needs a full channel strip in their mixer, with tiny tiny buttons. Plus the sampler track no one needed.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. I do love angry seething replies like yours, Angry fanboyism at it's peak, it's defo Steinberg's problem and fault, what an absolutely bizarre line of thought, if the customers don't like a product they have every right to say so....
Old 25th July 2020 | Show parent
  #84
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi ➡️
Yeah, because everyone needs a full channel strip in their mixer, with tiny tiny buttons. Plus the sampler track no one needed.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. I do love angry seething replies like yours, Angry fanboyism at it's peak, it's defo Steinberg's problem and fault, what an absolutely bizarre line of thought, if the customers don't like a product they have every right to say so....
First of all... how can you say there is anger in my post? You are probably judging by your own standards.

Many people wanted the sampler and it is great actually. It gets a lot of use over here.
The full channel strip... if you do not want to use it you can hide it. It never bothered me. It is there if you need it. I rarely use it but it has come handy in many occasions.

Let's not even talk about the really high quality of plug-ins inside Cubase....


So what exactly is bloat in Cubase, and what exactly is intuitive in S1? The Cubase sampler is extremely intuitive in fact.

If I would be a DAW fan that would be for ProTools.

Just because you do not like Cubase it does not mean it is not the best over all DAW out there. If it was not for ProToolsExpert going StudioOneExpert you would hear even less about S1! Imagine if Russ went CubaseExpert
Old 26th July 2020 | Show parent
  #85
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sv0gthir ➡️
First of all... how can you say there is anger in my post? You are probably judging by your own standards.

Many people wanted the sampler and it is great actually. It gets a lot of use over here.
The full channel strip... if you do not want to use it you can hide it. It never bothered me. It is there if you need it. I rarely use it but it has come handy in many occasions.

Let's not even talk about the really high quality of plug-ins inside Cubase....


So what exactly is bloat in Cubase, and what exactly is intuitive in S1? The Cubase sampler is extremely intuitive in fact.

If I would be a DAW fan that would be for ProTools.

Just because you do not like Cubase it does not mean it is not the best over all DAW out there. If it was not for ProToolsExpert going StudioOneExpert you would hear even less about S1! Imagine if Russ went CubaseExpert
That's a much more reasonable response. To make it quick, I thought Cubase 5/6 was just right. It felt light and focused while having depth in some areas a lot of DAWs still can't match. It was easy to look at for hours on end.

One thing where Cubase really falls down, still, are the hoops you need to jump through to route hardware with vst around. You have to go the studio page and add Buss's then make audio channels then route the mixer channels to the audio, you then end up with x2 the tracks, so for me at the least, I'd be looking at 34 mixer tracks just for two hardware units! Sure you can hide them, but then it clutters the hide menu.

Studio one is just the same! But I would rather Cubase had fixed those issues than add a channel strip and a sampler, feels like they're going for the lower end of the market. Not the medium or high. At least in S1 they make that process slightly easier.

S1 is almost like Cubase 6 in terms of design. You get a lot of power from the right click menu and the Swing Editing is on a par, almost with Cubase. Though I don't know why they don't add 2nd and 3rd mixers. It's just very straightforward for the most part. They had some pretty bad hiccups with automation quality They've add functionality like PT where you can see even 3rd party dynamics in real time on the faders.

Cubase 10.5 is just trying to fit too much on the screen at once. Sure, some of that can be removed but it's still more squished than C6 even when you've done that. I think the issue is their business model revolves around selling updates every year (pretty much?) so they need to keep adding to make it worthwhile. While Cubase is getting more janky S1 is just getting slicker and slicker and quicker to use.
Old 26th July 2020 | Show parent
  #86
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi ➡️
That's a much more reasonable response. To make it quick, I thought Cubase 5/6 was just right. It felt light and focused while having depth in some areas a lot of DAWs still can't match. It was easy to look at for hours on end.

One thing where Cubase really falls down, still, are the hoops you need to jump through to route hardware with vst around. You have to go the studio page and add Buss's then make audio channels then route the mixer channels to the audio, you then end up with x2 the tracks, so for me at the least, I'd be looking at 34 mixer tracks just for two hardware units! Sure you can hide them, but then it clutters the hide menu.

Studio one is just the same! But I would rather Cubase had fixed those issues than add a channel strip and a sampler, feels like they're going for the lower end of the market. Not the medium or high. At least in S1 they make that process slightly easier.

S1 is almost like Cubase 6 in terms of design. You get a lot of power from the right click menu and the Swing Editing is on a par, almost with Cubase. Though I don't know why they don't add 2nd and 3rd mixers. It's just very straightforward for the most part. They had some pretty bad hiccups with automation quality They've add functionality like PT where you can see even 3rd party dynamics in real time on the faders.

Cubase 10.5 is just trying to fit too much on the screen at once. Sure, some of that can be removed but it's still more squished than C6 even when you've done that. I think the issue is their business model revolves around selling updates every year (pretty much?) so they need to keep adding to make it worthwhile. While Cubase is getting more janky S1 is just getting slicker and slicker and quicker to use.

You make things appear and disappear in Cubase. I do not need a mini mixer on the bottom of the screen, neither I want midi to appear there. The sampler appearing at the bottom does not really bother me much. Mediabay etc opening on the right still I would rather have it open in its own window you can make all these not appear on the right if you do not need it. As far as the right click etc. I think we should be at this point where you are using shortcuts about everything. I rarely need to find and click something with the mouse. So what exactly is clutter? I do not like the dark background that comes as stock but you can customise how the DAW looks.

I am attaching a copy of a screenshot I took some time ago to show that there is a workaround to still use 32bit plugins in Cubase 10 10.5 etc. Looks much better than the flat S1 gui withe really thin letters and lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio One 4 Vs Cubase 10 - Who Is King!-32bit-cubase-10.jpg  
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4624 views: 654823
Avatar for mxeryus
mxeryus 15th November 2022
replies: 577 views: 38556
Avatar for kdm
kdm 1st July 2009
replies: 443 views: 61149
Avatar for Neil Martin
Neil Martin 14th February 2021
replies: 69 views: 13329
Avatar for BigSmo
BigSmo 16th August 2022
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump