The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dante vs hd , latency ?!
Old 13th May 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Dante vs hd , latency ?!

I have hd native card
2x ssl alphalink sx + ssl madi to hd native / protools hd 2018 ultimate
My latency in 24 bit 96 khz is 21 sample . ( arround 0.22 ms ) my buffer size is 128 too .
How about dante ?!
I read normal latecy is 1 ms ...! Is it true ?! And the best version is around quarter of this time but with just one dante ...!!!
And I have a negative mind about latency of dante .
I have a ssl nucleus 2 , too . With dante
It’s manual latency is 4 ms .
And allll website say dante has a gooood speeed and latency
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have never used Duante, but from what I have read, nothing will beat the system you have. I use the same system for that very reason.

The round trip Audio through alpha link and MX4 is a total of 53 samples. The only IO that I know is faster is the QS line from RME, but that costs much more per channel. The converters are 8 samples in and out vs. the IO lag of the SSL (if I remember right, I think it's 21 in and 13 out? 4 samples for the MX4 card, and a few other buffers. I'm running at 64 samples in the DAW and get ASIO reported of 1.7. I think it's more like 3.5 in practice.
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dante can mean many things.
The Nucleus 2 you have is not 4ms, unless you are using Dante Virtual Soundcard (in real terms DVS will be higher).

The Nucleus 2 has an Audinate Ultimo card in it- that minimum latency you get form that is 1ms but the total roundtrip will depend on what you are connecting it to.

I have a Nucleus 2 and a Focusrite Red 16 Line (and several other Dante boxes).
I get a round-trip latency at 32 sample buffer of about 1.7ms.
But in reality I just monitor off hardware for most things and latency is negligible.

HDX is about as good as it gets- Dante won't necessarily get you a lower latency but it can be pretty closer and it allows you get use another DAW than Pro Tools.

FWIW I use the Red 16 Line with HDX (Pro Tools) and Thunderbolt (Logic/Live).
It works great.
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If he is working like I am. I don't use the sound card on the Nucleus. It's just used as a controller for the MX4.
Old 13th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum ➡️
If he is working like I am. I don't use the sound card on the Nucleus. It's just used as a controller for the MX4.
For the most part so do I.
I put the Mic Preamps up as a Dante transmitter but the mix doesn't then return.
I have a Grace M905 as a monitor controller- the N2 is essentially just a controller and a couple of additional mic preamps.
Old 13th May 2018
The actual latency of Dante is typically 150μs, but can be as low as 83.3μs. 150μs is 0.15ms of latency, so the protocol is very quick particularly when you consider how large and spread out the networked system can be. You have to keep in mind that Dante is just a protocol though, like USB or AES or MADI. The actual latency of the entire system still very much depends on all of the components in the system.

The biggest hurdles you are still going to face is conversion speed (the Focusrite Red 8Pre for example has considerably slower conversion than Lynx/Apogee/Avid interfaces, others will have faster conversion), the usual hardware sample buffers, drivers and network equipment. For example, if you use 100mbps network gear with Dante you will immediately be running 1ms of latency. If you use gigabit network gear, your system will run at a default of 1ms of latency, but you can adjust it much lower.

So the answer is... It depends. Dante is quick. Certainly quick enough for use in live performance, but if your focus is on the lowest possible latency ever then HDX is probably the best bet as it will avoid the 256 samples of delay associated with your 128 sample hardware buffer. At 96kHz, that sample buffer alone adds 2.66ms of latency.
📝 Reply