The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DacPort HD vs Babyface Pro latency
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Cool DacPort HD vs Babyface Pro latency

I'm very much an ITB recording guy, sticking to MIDI controllers like the Linnstrument to record performances.

I've been trying to do some comparisons between Babyface Pro and the DacPort HD.

The DacPort offers headphone out which is all I'd need. However there is no real data out there regarding the DacPort in terms of performance as compared to say something like the Babyface Pro.

I like how the Babyface Pro has two headphone outs with a 2 and 10 ohm output impedance depending on which jack is used.

I use a pair of LCD2s which have a ~70ohm impedance so I presume there should be no problem driving these out of either the Babyface Pro or the DacPort.

But I was wondering if anyone on here could chime in and explain the difference in latency performance of these two interfaces. I would appreciate any further information that I may not be aware of.
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Babyface is one of the best USB interaces re latency and stability, hard to beat it.

Real measured latencies are published by the GS user TAFKAT here in one big topic, you can check them, but to compare you need to measure DacPort latency, which is not that simple, and for true comparison you'll need to measure Babyface on the same system...
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Well, as Zvukofor already said, BF Pro is one of best USB interface with regards to practical latency performance (not just latency figure, but also efficency).
I don't really expect, that DacPort or whatever audiophile/consumer DA converter could compete with it.. quite often those devices aren't designed with lowest latency in mind.. from DA chip setups, USB audio handling.. up to drivers.
So if you're really considering it, then the only option IMO is to try it at your setup with your particular workload.

With regards to driving ability for big Audeze LCD-2 phones.. I don't really think, there is any compact bus-powered audio interface (or normal audio interface in general), which can cope with that without limiting its performance. One of biggest general downside of magnetoplanar phones is their huge power demand.
So I wouldn't really be so concerned about that, when selecting audio interface.. simply because I don't believe, there's any from common ones, which could put out similar power like standalone headphone amps.. and from the start I'd rather count with setup, where you have some audio interface and such dedicated amplifier connected via line level input.

Michal
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I went ahead and purchased the RME Babyface Pro after reading a few glowing reviews.

I keep reading the latency and performance of RME hardware and drivers are top notch. I have a pair of ADAM monitors so hooking those up will be easy with this interface.
๐Ÿ“ Reply