The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sound quality 20 vs. 24 bit
Old 22nd October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
sound quality 20 vs. 24 bit

hi all,

well, if everything goes as planned, i'll be picking up a used 32 channel Soundcraft Ghost this weekend (the price was too good to pass up).

my intent is to use it as both a front-end and back-end to my ProTools system. my main question surrounds using it as an external mixer for ProTools - routing 24 direct outs to the ghost. (i realize alot of what I'm asking boils down to personal opinion but here goes...)

I have 24 inputs/outputs for my PT rig. Only 8 of these input/outputs are running at 24 bit (via Lucid 8824 into ADAT bridge)- all the others are at 20 bit. for tracking it hasn't been too much of an issue (with overdubs and all) but I was wondering what are your thoughts of using the board as a mixdown tool given this scenario? would any of the added benefits of using the ghost as the mix bus be negated by the fact that 16 of my 24 outputs are running at 20 bit?

thanks,

- neil
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re 20 vs 24 bit

I would expect that you will loose a lot more quality going through the electronics of the Ghost. Many people, myself included find that 16 bit is fair enough. If its rock music your dynamic is considerably worse than the 90db offered by 16 bit. I would mix internal to the machine and not worry about 20 vs 24 bit, its all pretty academic.

Regards

Roland
📝 Reply