The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound Toys Sie-Q
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sound Toys Sie-Q

Sounds good on the master bus. There are many others but tried it today at random and it's has a nice subtle boost to lows and highs.
Old 13th November 2017
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I really need to explore this! I have Electra so high end is good. Lows is something maybe sie is good for? I've heard air is good on it also....
Old 14th November 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The real magic of Sie-Q is the DRIVE knob.... wow.

But the Highs are especially good, too.

I love this thing. It's the best "simple" mix plugin I own.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Head

As with all soundtoys plugins the 'drive' option/colours are awesome and very versatile.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
I like the SiQ on snare quite a bit.
Old 4th December 2017
Deleted d3a268b
It's a beauty, very simple but sometimes all you need. Nice top, smooth. It's every bit as good (if not better) than the old Acqua SILK (nebula).

Though I do tend to go more towards PSP's E27 for the high shelf (gorgeous eq) sometimes the SIE-Q just fits better and is easier to dial in for that source. On vocals it's great, on mix bus too... sometimes I'll prefer Slate's Custom EQ for mix bus shaping and will do hi shelf on The Custom EQ if needed (don't always need it on mix bus anyway).

Like pretty much all of soundtoys stuff, it's 1st class and awesome.
Their new (was free) little plate is great too (though I'm a heavy relab LX480 kinda guy mostly).
Old 4th December 2017 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➑️
It's a beauty, very simple but sometimes all you need. Nice top, smooth. It's every bit as good (if not better) than the old Acqua SILK (nebula).

Though I do tend to go more towards PSP's E27 for the high shelf (gorgeous eq) sometimes the SIE-Q just fits better and is easier to dial in for that source. On vocals it's great, on mix bus too... sometimes I'll prefer Slate's Custom EQ for mix bus shaping and will do hi shelf on The Custom EQ if needed (don't always need it on mix bus anyway).

Like pretty much all of soundtoys stuff, it's 1st class and awesome.
Their new (was free) little plate is great too (though I'm a heavy relab LX480 kinda guy mostly).
Yeah I've been actually very impressed with their plugs so far - I have the Tremolo, Primal Tap, and the Little Plate. Tremolo and Little Plate were free. Little Plate actually has a nicer reverb tail than Abbey Road Plates from Waves, which I luckily only spent 29$ on. UAD's EMT 140 beats both, but Little Plate is my native alternative right now.

Primal Tap is by far the best delay/modulation plug I have tried, it's spectacular.

I am probably just going to wait until the next big sale and upgrade to the bundle.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb ➑️
Little Plate actually has a nicer reverb tail than Abbey Road Plates from Waves, which I luckily only spent 29$ on.
That's funny, to me Little Plate sounds more like a typical algorithmic 'digital plate". The tail is very smooth, but has relatively little character. The Abbey Road plate makes me feel like I am working with a mechanical device, with all the imperfections and character. I spent about 3 minutes comparing and shut Little Plate down and forgot about it. It's great to have so any options, it's all about what you like, and there is no right or wrong!

I'm still kicking myself for missing Sie-Q when it was free. Maybe that will come back around some day...

Reverb, I checked out some tunes on your Soundcloud link and I really like what you are doing! (Even if you are using the wrong plate )

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb ➑️
I am probably just going to wait until the next big sale and upgrade to the bundle.
You will NOT regret it... Best thing and best money I ever spent on a package.

Too bad you JUST missed their 1/2 price sale, with the 3 you have, you could have gotten quite a discount....

I hope they run another one around christmas, as I have some other friends that foolishly missed the last one as they were too busy with thanksgiving and whatnot....and are kicking themselves..

anyone remember if they do a christmas sale?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto ➑️
You will NOT regret it... Best thing and best money I ever spent on a package.

Too bad you JUST missed their 1/2 price sale, with the 3 you have, you could have gotten quite a discount....
I was aware of the sale - just didn't really feel like pulling the trigger yet. I have a ton of plugs so it's a bit of a splurge to get the whole bundle.

I can wait for the next one!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Booth ➑️

Reverb, I checked out some tunes on your Soundcloud link and I really like what you are doing! (Even if you are using the wrong plate )
Thanks! I really appreciate that feedback! The next tune will be sure to have all kinds of the right plates on there!
Old 5th December 2017
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I haven't found a terribly great use for it yet... but I do like the saturation... and the fact that it is available in EffectRack which may be its greatest asset.
Old 5th December 2017
Deleted d3a268b
yeah I have the full bundle. Echoboy is still my goto delay. Radiator, Devil Loc and Decap are great on many things. Primal Tap is excellent. Microshift is sometimes just the thing you need. It's definitely one of the best quality/interesting bundles out there.
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Was curious so I compared Sie-Q and the W295b of my Siemens Sitral console. Not a whole complete shootout but some EQ on a song, trying to setup the closest one on the plugin (despite there's no knob value display) and compare.

I didn't play with the Drive, even it looks to be great but here was not the target. So as to be the most transparent I tracked the song through the Siemens twice, once with and the other without W295 EQ. And applied the plugin on the dry recorded file then.

It's very similar. The main difference I noticed is the mid EQ is sounding more pinched on the Sie-Q, maybe a bit narrower Q than the original. Following, the hardware one sounds more open, silky and coherent imo. On the other side, low mid sound more punchy and detailed on the Sie-Q. That said, the plugin adds extra low mids to the voice (and to the toms too I guess). So maybe that's why the toms sound more precise, sounding louder.

Whatever, sound and spirit of the W295 are there and the Drive knob seems exciting.

Hi: =6dB
Low: +3dB
Mid: +6dB @1.5kHz

Please compare the attached files, just for fun ;-)

Edit: ok I found out the right-click/values features...
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Toys Sie-Q-w295b.jpg   Sound Toys Sie-Q-sie-q.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: aif 01-SiemensM444-noEq.aif (15.87 MB, 296 views) File Type: aif 02-SiemensM444-W295b.aif (15.87 MB, 322 views) File Type: aif 03-SiemensM444-Sie-Q.aif (15.87 MB, 272 views)
Old 23rd May 2018

🎧 5 years
Sie-Q on bass guitar tracks. Add drive and top end boost. Instagrowl. Works for me
Old 9th June 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
I used the Sie-Q to make snare pop just a bit in a mix. about 2.5DB on its high shelf was perfect.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I keep forgetting about it! Now gotta go use it on something!........
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
After EQing on the way in with a hardware pultec clone (the KT one), SiEQ adds the final touch on vocals, bass, acoustic guitars. It is a cumulative process, a bit here and there, and they impart a wonderful character. Drive knob finds its use on bass so far. A bit off topic, I just upgraded the woofers of my JBL LSR305 with a pair of Seas U16RCY/P and they do a great job, now I can hear down to 0,3dB moves on EQ. THe monitors' character changed dramatically and they are superior monitors now.
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Also good for individual channels too. If I am using an EPS kick or snare sample I just throw it on that channel and dial it in. Sometimes people fall in love with the vintage sampler so much that they forget the mixbus also makes a difference for those lo fi sounds.
Old 18th August 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I love to use this on Hi-Hats! Using it to cut the harshness sounds really good! IMO, using it to attenuate is definitely on par with the UAD Pultecs
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Love it, but I miss an output gain for gain staging.... Need some compensation for the nice drive
Old 22nd October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10us ➑️
Love it, but I miss an output gain for gain staging.... Need some compensation for the nice drive
True... I was like, "where's the output knob?" I still like though

I've been using it on acoustic guitar with a ribbon microphone, it's a great combo
πŸ“ Reply