Quantcast
MOTU 828es--Any impressions? - Page 13 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU 828es--Any impressions?
Old 20th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

I love my 828es but am not a fan of the built-in reverb. I connect a Lexicon box via the SPDIF I/O and feed it from a bus in the AVB Mixer. I can send to the Lex from any input AND from any channel in my DAW.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks Lady Gaia (you rock!) and Markus.

Markus, so you can choose whether the SPDIF reverb goes to each input or not?
Is it possible to change send level per input (I assume not)?

If I used reverb plugins instead of the hardware DSP (or in lieu of it), and added reverb to some channels and not others, would I experience delay on those channels compared to the dry ones?

Final question - does the 828es do sample rate conversion? I'll be wanting to operate at 88.2 or 96kHz, and some synths I will be running in at either 44/48 kHz.

Last edited by Spikey699; 20th April 2021 at 11:06 AM..
Old 20th April 2021
Sry
Gear Maniac

Thank you so much. I’ll give it a try next time I have some time!

Never hit me that a good way to come around the drastic High and Mid settings on the reverb itself was to use the standard EQ.

How and I too just want to use the reverb and other effects just to get away from the totally dry sounds, shaping is done in my DAW.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S*****699 ➡️
Is it possible to change send level per input (I assume not)?
You'll be happy to hear otherwise, then! You can choose an independent send level for each channel, not just for the reverb bus, but also for each of the three stereo group busses, and the seven stereo aux busses. These can then be mapped to any output as an effects send - including not just physical outputs but also virtual channels to your DAW.

Quote:
If I used reverb plugins instead of the hardware DSP (or in lieu of it), and added reverb to some channels and not others, would I experience delay on those channels compared to the dry ones?
Not on the dry signal, just the wet return. So for reverb the effects processor should return a 100% wet signal and the 828es should be used to blend it with the latency-free dry version. Reverb is inherently a time-domain effect so you'll never notice an extra millisecond or two on the ambient tail.

Quote:
Final question - does the 828es do sample rate conversion? I'll be wanting to operate at 88.2 or 96kHz, and some synths I will be running in at either 44/48 kHz.
To the best of my knowledge it does not. Digital signals have to be at the same clock speed (more or less - it seems surprisingly lenient without clock distribution but I wouldn't count on that quirk.) If you have gear that must run at a different sample rate you will need to record it from an analog signal.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia ➡️
You'll be happy to hear otherwise, then! You can choose an independent send level for each channel, not just for the reverb bus, but also for each of the three stereo group busses, and the seven stereo aux busses. These can then be mapped to any output as an effects send - including not just physical outputs but also virtual channels to your DAW.

Not on the dry signal, just the wet return. So for reverb the effects processor should return a 100% wet signal and the 828es should be used to blend it with the latency-free dry version. Reverb is inherently a time-domain effect so you'll never notice an extra millisecond or two on the ambient tail.

To the best of my knowledge it does not. Digital signals have to be at the same clock speed (more or less - it seems surprisingly lenient without clock distribution but I wouldn't count on that quirk.) If you have gear that must run at a different sample rate you will need to record it from an analog signal.
Lady Gaia, as usual, providing concise and accurate information. Thank you!
Old 28th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Can you or anyone else help me route my Bricasti to an Aux channel so that I can use the Bricasti to monitor reverb while tracking vocals? Is this possible?

I’ve been able to route output to the Bricasti through a stereo Aux channel. But how do I route the return? Can I monitor the return through the mixer or can I only monitor the return through my DAW? There isn’t a place to route a return on the Aux channels.
Old 29th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCMarkus ➡️
I love my 828es but am not a fan of the built-in reverb. I connect a Lexicon box via the SPDIF I/O and feed it from a bus in the AVB Mixer. I can send to the Lex from any input AND from any channel in my DAW.
That’s what I’m doing with my Bricasti. But how do you have the return routed? I can map the send by routing SPDIF OUT to Aux 1-2, but where is the SPDIF IN (return) supposed to be routed? Can’t route it back in via Aux 1-2. There’s no place to do that.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 ➡️
That’s what I’m doing with my Bricasti. But how do you have the return routed? I can map the send by routing SPDIF OUT to Aux 1-2, but where is the SPDIF IN (return) supposed to be routed? Can’t route it back in via Aux 1-2. There’s no place to do that.
Just rout the return straight into any of the mixer's inputs. There are no dedicated returns - and I can't come up with any reason there would need to be. You wind up with an input strip that behaves like any other for the return. I use this for a couple of hardware effects units, and for my Line 6 Helix which serves double-duty as a guitar in/processor and effects loop for synths.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just rout straight into any of the mixer's inputs. There are no dedicated returns - and I can't come up with any reason there would need to be. You wind up with an input strip that behaves like any other for the return. I use this for a couple of hardware effects units, and for my Line 6 Helix which serves double-duty as a guitar in/processor and effects loop for synths.
Thanks! Yep, just figured it out. I guess I was thinking of it in terms of a HW insert in a DAW. But it’s more like it’s two separate channels. The Aux sends it out, but it returns on a different pair of inputs. All good!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 ➡️
Return the SPDIF Input to a channel on the built-in Mixer, from where you can send it to Headphone (Aux) Mixes, your Mains, or back to your DAW. You can also (simultaneously) route the SPDIF Input directly to your DAW.

The routing tab, with all its flexibility, can be pretty darn confusing. I just struggled with it as I connected a new external delay, but I got it sorted and can now send live (Mixer) or DAW signal to the Delay.
Old 2nd June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Big Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfger ➡️
For your needs I would set it up like in the pictures:

horizontal row are 1) your mic ins (mic and line 1-10), 2) from computer (computer out l-r, to listen to your DAW mix, and 8 more in case you need them) 3) all your mixer channels (Aux channels, name 8 for your 4 stereo headphone-mixes) and your mixer inputs.

vertical row:

Your 828 phones for headphone 3 and 4, main outs and analog outs for headphones 1 and 2.

You route your ten input signals to to the computer (to record them) and to your mixer (to make no latency headphone-mixes)

It's very important to name (click in the name of a input or output)all your inputs and outputs to not get lost.

if you really only need two stereo outs you could reduce the "from computer" to two channels. I like to set it to eight at least. Most of the time I creat click-track in the Daw which I would route to "from computer 3-4" in the daw and then route it to the mixer to have the click-track in the headphones separately.
Also reduce the "to computer" to 10, if you really only need the 10 analog ins.

hope this helps.
as promise I'm reporting back!

followed as you instructed. works great!

First time, I recorded whole band with vocals.
(this was for ensemble class mid term to show them what they can improve by hearing themselves better than ever! )

now I'm middle of the final week, recorded band last week and recording vocals and Bgv next week.

Will be back with some sample and screen shots.

By the way, as far as I know MOTU's Pro Audio Control(Web host mixer system), they have built in mixer and reverb and compressors and they're just for monitoring, right? they don't affect recording, do they?
Old 2nd June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk ➡️

By the way, as far as I know MOTU's Pro Audio Control(Web host mixer system), they have built in mixer and reverb and compressors and they're just for monitoring, right? they don't affect recording, do they?
If you route your inputs directly to computer the mixer eq/comp/reverb settings won't effect the recordings. But you could also route the mixers outputs (Channels, groups, aux-channels) to your computer to record processed signals.
Old 17th June 2021
Lives for gear

So, I ended up getting a second 828es to expand upon the first one. Originally I was going to go ADAT but I wanted more analog inputs, and there is a huge plus in each unit being able to stand-alone (one wired in the studio, one in the mobile rack, and then can be combined whenever needed) AND now I have 4 dedicated headphone outputs for band tracking. So now I have 4 dedicated Motu pre/DIs, 16 additional dedicated analog inputs, 4 dedicated headphone outputs, 4 banks of ADAT expansion, and I think even 4 monitor outputs that I can toggle between, all in these two boxes.

I haven't had a chance to string them together yet via AVB, but I'll report back when I do. This modular system they have is indeed quite powerful in it's possibilities.
Old 12th August 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
anybody using 828es and sonarworks? I was going to setup sonarworks using their microphone and seems like I'm having trouble setting outputs.
Old 12th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk ➡️
anybody using 828es and sonarworks? I was going to setup sonarworks using their microphone and seems like I'm having trouble setting outputs.
I am using. I have had absolutely no problems.
Old 12th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Oh man

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoltron ➡️
I am using. I have had absolutely no problems.
I rebooted computer and now it works. Wonder what cause but it works..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hows everyone liking the 828es in 2021? Need a new interface and have been looking at this plus those that cost much more. I know the DA seems to be very highly regarded but how is the AD?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Sry
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx ➡️
Hows everyone liking the 828es in 2021? Need a new interface and have been looking at this plus those that cost much more. I know the DA seems to be very highly regarded but how is the AD?
I bought mine a year ago I like mine a lot! It’s very flexible and it sounds great. I remember myself searching info about the AD-converter and didn’t really find any info but still bought if and I don’t regret that at all.

My previous audio interface was the UA Apollo x8 and I’d say that the 828es AD and DA converters are at least on pair with the x8’s and please node that the x8’s price is about 3 times higher than the 828e, so from my eyes/perspective the only extra thing that you get is the DSP/SHARC and that’s just the damn chip you still have to purchase plugins (the 828es also has some simple DSP-effects btw… but they are very simple and maybe only food enough for monitoring through a bit of reverb or EQ/compression…) to take advantage of the SHARC’s, which is fine for a lot of people or course, but it’s hard to justify the price difference for me especially since the 828es is all I need and more.
Lives for gear

I was a relatively early adopter, and bought a second one last year for another residence because I can't imagine what would be an improvement. If you're looking for effects that are tied to a specific brand of hardware, that's generally where others have offerings that go beyond what's in the 828es, but frankly that's a downside in my opinion and not a plus. I can't imagine paying the premium for the privilege.

Better yet, when Apple made a substantial leap in a new direction with a new CPU architecture and significant changes to their operating system, Mark of the Unicorn came out with full support in a reasonable timeframe. They weren't the first but they were far from the last, and every single feature of the associated software suite was there from the day the new drivers arrived.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sry ➡️
I bought mine a year ago I like mine a lot! It’s very flexible and it sounds great. I remember myself searching info about the AD-converter and didn’t really find any info but still bought if and I don’t regret that at all.

My previous audio interface was the UA Apollo x8 and I’d say that the 828es AD and DA converters are at least on pair with the x8’s and please node that the x8’s price is about 3 times higher than the 828e, so from my eyes/perspective the only extra thing that you get is the DSP/SHARC and that’s just the damn chip you still have to purchase plugins (the 828es also has some simple DSP-effects btw… but they are very simple and maybe only food enough for monitoring through a bit of reverb or EQ/compression…) to take advantage of the SHARC’s, which is fine for a lot of people or course, but it’s hard to justify the price difference for me especially since the 828es is all I need and more.
Wow really? Just as good as the Apollo x8? That says a lot! I read that the 828 also has dsp for tracking? Like compression/EQ and some reverb or something.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I was a relatively early adopter, and bought a second one last year for another residence because I can't imagine what would be an improvement. If you're looking for effects that are tied to a specific brand of hardware, that's generally where others have offerings that go beyond what's in the 828es, but frankly that's a downside in my opinion and not a plus. I can't imagine paying the premium for the privilege.

Better yet, when Apple made a substantial leap in a new direction with a new CPU architecture and significant changes to their operating system, Mark of the Unicorn came out with full support in a reasonable timeframe. They weren't the first but they were far from the last, and every single feature of the associated software suite was there from the day the new drivers arrived.
Yea I agree, everything about the 828es seems awesome honestly!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I would like to use my existing 828es with a windows computer in the future, using AVB. Currently I use it with a Mac via USB, and it's fine for the most part. I have no problem with the sound and I suppose I could say I'm now a MOTU advocate.

It is a bit hard to find a lot of information about current state of AVB, motu, and windows.

It is also weird to me that the windows driver for the 828es hasn't been updated in a very very long time. Have they really nothing to improve?

If anyone would like to drop some tips about their experience connecting their 828 to a windows PC via AVB, I'd appreciate it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I’ve had mine for 2-3 years and just love it. It is hands down the best interface I’ve used and the audio quality is wonderful.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read that the 828 also has dsp for tracking? Like compression/EQ and some reverb or something.
It has these basics which are great for getting your monitor mix, but I wouldn’t bake them into recorded tracks. You can always tweak the recording to your heart’s content after the fact from the original recorded signal using the infinite array of available plug-ins.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One feature I love is the pre converter TRS inserts. This allows me to record one dry signal and one processed signal with my outboard into my DAW at the same time
Sry
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Wow really? Just as good as the Apollo x8? That says a lot! I read that the 828 also has dsp for tracking? Like compression/EQ and some reverb or something.
I forgot to mention one thing though. I do not have those golden ears that some people here at GS has.

I did not hear there much difference when I went x8 to 828es but I didn’t A/B test them or anything. I was about to but I sold the x8’s before I had a chance but I’m quite sure that a microphone, EQ etc will make a lot more difference sonically than the converters in these interfaces!

Also I haven’t really used the preamp in the 828es Thad much and in the beginning I felt a but frustrated as in “I might have to get myself an external preamp. Maybe even a UA610 (since I really liked the UA610-B emulation) but really it was just an adjustment period and some remembering that my voice isn’t that beautiful as I wish it was
Sry
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthered ➡️
In my experience, it's the monitoring outputs that make the difference with AIs. I tried the 8es and it came second out of several units I tried.
Yes I can imagine that since the DA is what people seems interested in when asking/talking about or discussing audio interfaces here.

I’m guessing it’s because all interfaces AD-converters are so good these days that people don’t have to ask about or discuss them.

Nice that the 828es came second but which came first then?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I bought one with the idea of getting rid of my Apollo and MOTU 8A. I got rid of the Apollo alright, and never looked back (still have satellites for the plugs after recording). I still have the 8A and have it connected to the 828es to use with compressors. I was also able to get rid of a USB to digital coax adapter thing I was using for my RAM 2000 since I can plug the RAM directly into the 828es.

It was kludgy and confusing to get everything set up with the two MOTUs and Logic and all my ins and outs but now that I have it running, it's absolutely tight. I'm glad I got it.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilznik ➡️
I bought one with the idea of getting rid of my Apollo and MOTU 8A. I got rid of the Apollo alright, and never looked back (still have satellites for the plugs after recording). I still have the 8A and have it connected to the 828es to use with compressors. I was also able to get rid of a USB to digital coax adapter thing I was using for my RAM 2000 since I can plug the RAM directly into the 828es.

It was kludgy and confusing to get everything set up with the two MOTUs and Logic and all my ins and outs but now that I have it running, it's absolutely tight. I'm glad I got it.
Wow you guys are totally selling me on this!

Did you notice any real difference from the Apollo on the AD side?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Wow you guys are totally selling me on this!

Did you notice any real difference from the Apollo on the AD side?
None at all. It’s great. I run everything through preamps and channel strips on the way in. Works great.
📝 Reply