Quantcast
MOTU 828es--Any impressions? - Page 13 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU 828es--Any impressions?
Old 20th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

I love my 828es but am not a fan of the built-in reverb. I connect a Lexicon box via the SPDIF I/O and feed it from a bus in the AVB Mixer. I can send to the Lex from any input AND from any channel in my DAW.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks Lady Gaia (you rock!) and Markus.

Markus, so you can choose whether the SPDIF reverb goes to each input or not?
Is it possible to change send level per input (I assume not)?

If I used reverb plugins instead of the hardware DSP (or in lieu of it), and added reverb to some channels and not others, would I experience delay on those channels compared to the dry ones?

Final question - does the 828es do sample rate conversion? I'll be wanting to operate at 88.2 or 96kHz, and some synths I will be running in at either 44/48 kHz.

Last edited by Spikey699; 20th April 2021 at 11:06 AM..
Old 20th April 2021
Sry
Gear Maniac

Thank you so much. I’ll give it a try next time I have some time!

Never hit me that a good way to come around the drastic High and Mid settings on the reverb itself was to use the standard EQ.

How and I too just want to use the reverb and other effects just to get away from the totally dry sounds, shaping is done in my DAW.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S*****699 ➡️
Is it possible to change send level per input (I assume not)?
You'll be happy to hear otherwise, then! You can choose an independent send level for each channel, not just for the reverb bus, but also for each of the three stereo group busses, and the seven stereo aux busses. These can then be mapped to any output as an effects send - including not just physical outputs but also virtual channels to your DAW.

Quote:
If I used reverb plugins instead of the hardware DSP (or in lieu of it), and added reverb to some channels and not others, would I experience delay on those channels compared to the dry ones?
Not on the dry signal, just the wet return. So for reverb the effects processor should return a 100% wet signal and the 828es should be used to blend it with the latency-free dry version. Reverb is inherently a time-domain effect so you'll never notice an extra millisecond or two on the ambient tail.

Quote:
Final question - does the 828es do sample rate conversion? I'll be wanting to operate at 88.2 or 96kHz, and some synths I will be running in at either 44/48 kHz.
To the best of my knowledge it does not. Digital signals have to be at the same clock speed (more or less - it seems surprisingly lenient without clock distribution but I wouldn't count on that quirk.) If you have gear that must run at a different sample rate you will need to record it from an analog signal.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia ➡️
You'll be happy to hear otherwise, then! You can choose an independent send level for each channel, not just for the reverb bus, but also for each of the three stereo group busses, and the seven stereo aux busses. These can then be mapped to any output as an effects send - including not just physical outputs but also virtual channels to your DAW.

Not on the dry signal, just the wet return. So for reverb the effects processor should return a 100% wet signal and the 828es should be used to blend it with the latency-free dry version. Reverb is inherently a time-domain effect so you'll never notice an extra millisecond or two on the ambient tail.

To the best of my knowledge it does not. Digital signals have to be at the same clock speed (more or less - it seems surprisingly lenient without clock distribution but I wouldn't count on that quirk.) If you have gear that must run at a different sample rate you will need to record it from an analog signal.
Lady Gaia, as usual, providing concise and accurate information. Thank you!
Old 28th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Can you or anyone else help me route my Bricasti to an Aux channel so that I can use the Bricasti to monitor reverb while tracking vocals? Is this possible?

I’ve been able to route output to the Bricasti through a stereo Aux channel. But how do I route the return? Can I monitor the return through the mixer or can I only monitor the return through my DAW? There isn’t a place to route a return on the Aux channels.
Old 29th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCMarkus ➡️
I love my 828es but am not a fan of the built-in reverb. I connect a Lexicon box via the SPDIF I/O and feed it from a bus in the AVB Mixer. I can send to the Lex from any input AND from any channel in my DAW.
That’s what I’m doing with my Bricasti. But how do you have the return routed? I can map the send by routing SPDIF OUT to Aux 1-2, but where is the SPDIF IN (return) supposed to be routed? Can’t route it back in via Aux 1-2. There’s no place to do that.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 ➡️
That’s what I’m doing with my Bricasti. But how do you have the return routed? I can map the send by routing SPDIF OUT to Aux 1-2, but where is the SPDIF IN (return) supposed to be routed? Can’t route it back in via Aux 1-2. There’s no place to do that.
Just rout the return straight into any of the mixer's inputs. There are no dedicated returns - and I can't come up with any reason there would need to be. You wind up with an input strip that behaves like any other for the return. I use this for a couple of hardware effects units, and for my Line 6 Helix which serves double-duty as a guitar in/processor and effects loop for synths.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just rout straight into any of the mixer's inputs. There are no dedicated returns - and I can't come up with any reason there would need to be. You wind up with an input strip that behaves like any other for the return. I use this for a couple of hardware effects units, and for my Line 6 Helix which serves double-duty as a guitar in/processor and effects loop for synths.
Thanks! Yep, just figured it out. I guess I was thinking of it in terms of a HW insert in a DAW. But it’s more like it’s two separate channels. The Aux sends it out, but it returns on a different pair of inputs. All good!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 ➡️
Return the SPDIF Input to a channel on the built-in Mixer, from where you can send it to Headphone (Aux) Mixes, your Mains, or back to your DAW. You can also (simultaneously) route the SPDIF Input directly to your DAW.

The routing tab, with all its flexibility, can be pretty darn confusing. I just struggled with it as I connected a new external delay, but I got it sorted and can now send live (Mixer) or DAW signal to the Delay.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Big Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfger ➡️
For your needs I would set it up like in the pictures:

horizontal row are 1) your mic ins (mic and line 1-10), 2) from computer (computer out l-r, to listen to your DAW mix, and 8 more in case you need them) 3) all your mixer channels (Aux channels, name 8 for your 4 stereo headphone-mixes) and your mixer inputs.

vertical row:

Your 828 phones for headphone 3 and 4, main outs and analog outs for headphones 1 and 2.

You route your ten input signals to to the computer (to record them) and to your mixer (to make no latency headphone-mixes)

It's very important to name (click in the name of a input or output)all your inputs and outputs to not get lost.

if you really only need two stereo outs you could reduce the "from computer" to two channels. I like to set it to eight at least. Most of the time I creat click-track in the Daw which I would route to "from computer 3-4" in the daw and then route it to the mixer to have the click-track in the headphones separately.
Also reduce the "to computer" to 10, if you really only need the 10 analog ins.

hope this helps.
as promise I'm reporting back!

followed as you instructed. works great!

First time, I recorded whole band with vocals.
(this was for ensemble class mid term to show them what they can improve by hearing themselves better than ever! )

now I'm middle of the final week, recorded band last week and recording vocals and Bgv next week.

Will be back with some sample and screen shots.

By the way, as far as I know MOTU's Pro Audio Control(Web host mixer system), they have built in mixer and reverb and compressors and they're just for monitoring, right? they don't affect recording, do they?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk ➡️

By the way, as far as I know MOTU's Pro Audio Control(Web host mixer system), they have built in mixer and reverb and compressors and they're just for monitoring, right? they don't affect recording, do they?
If you route your inputs directly to computer the mixer eq/comp/reverb settings won't effect the recordings. But you could also route the mixers outputs (Channels, groups, aux-channels) to your computer to record processed signals.
📝 Reply