The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solution for old firewire audio interfaces under OS X 10.12.6 Sierra !!!
Old 5th September 2017
Deleted 2da10be ðŸŽ™ï¸
Solution for old firewire audio interfaces under OS X 10.12.6 Sierra !!!

Hi,

I have just discovered, that many old firewire audio interfaces, which are "officially not supported by OS X 10.12.6 Sierra", can still work under this OS !!!

Here is the trick:

1. Connect an old firewire audio interface to Your mac/hackintosh (whatever You use with OS X Sierra 10.12.6 installed) using available firewire 400 or 800 ports and a FW cable.

2. Open Audio Midi application (Applications or Utility under Applications)

3. Go to Audio Midi app

4. Create Aggregate device (click + under the list of your devices and check "aggregate"). Create aggregate even if You only have that one, old firewire interface connected - this is very important.

REMEMBER: To aggregate device You can connect as many interfaces as You want to connect together in one audio system on Your computer.

5. Check/click your "unsupported" firewire device in Aggregate device - it should show You the EMPTY CELLS/SQUARES in your FW device - those empty "not named" squares ARE EXACTLY INS and OUTS that Sierra doesn't want to show in Your system !!!

6. OS X Sierra is not recognizing JUST the names of the INS and OUTS of your old FW card, so do it yourself, I mean just write the name of all of the INS and OUTS however You want to name it !!!. I recommend to check which INS/OUTS are which - this is simple, You can experiment

7. After You create setup in Audio Midi app, open Preferences and check/mark Aggregate device as Your main sound system (inputs, outputs, sound effects, etc.)

8. Open Your favourite DAW (I use Cubase 8.5) and setup STUDIO/VST CONNECTIONS, settings, choose your inputs and outputs, monitors, etc from the list!!! It will show You all of the previously named (in Audio Midi setup) INS and OUTS of Your old, "unsupported" firewire interface !!!

Please understand, connection setup is different for each DAWs: Cubase has it's own, Logic, etc....Find Your way to set it up in Your DAW

It works excellent for me on Edirol FA-101 interface under Cubase 8.5 . It should work (but doesn't have to) for all of the old firewire devices, not officially supported under OS X Sierra 10.12.6

My trick is only to help people with old, good interfaces to not to kick them out to the trash if they can still work good!

greetings from Poland!

Raphael

Last edited by Deleted 2da10be; 5th September 2017 at 04:39 PM..
Old 17th March 2018
Here for the gear

I'll buy one just to try this out :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudee ➡️
Hi,

I have just discovered, that many old firewire audio interfaces, which are "officially not supported by OS X 10.12.6 Sierra", can still work under this OS !!!

Here is the trick:

1. Connect an old firewire audio interface to Your mac/hackintosh (whatever You use with OS X Sierra 10.12.6 installed) using available firewire 400 or 800 ports and a FW cable.

3. Go to Audio Midi app

4. Create Aggregate device (click + under the list of your devices and check "aggregate"). Create aggregate even if You only have that one, old firewire interface connected - this is very important.

REMEMBER: To aggregate device You can connect as many interfaces as You want to connect together in one audio system on Your computer.

5. Check/click your "unsupported" firewire device in Aggregate device - it should show You the EMPTY CELLS/SQUARES in your FW device - those empty "not named" squares ARE EXACTLY INS and OUTS that Sierra doesn't want to show in Your system !!!

6. OS X Sierra is not recognizing JUST the names of the INS and OUTS of your old FW card, so do it yourself, I mean just write the name of all of the INS and OUTS however You want to name it !!!. I recommend to check which INS/OUTS are which - this is simple, You can experiment

7. After You create setup in Audio Midi app, open Preferences and check/mark Aggregate device as Your main sound system (inputs, outputs, sound effects, etc.)

8. Open Your favourite DAW (I use Cubase 8.5) and setup STUDIO/VST CONNECTIONS, settings, choose your inputs and outputs, monitors, etc from the list!!! It will show You all of the previously named (in Audio Midi setup) INS and OUTS of Your old, "unsupported" firewire interface !!!

Please understand, connection setup is different for each DAWs: Cubase has it's own, Logic, etc....Find Your way to set it up in Your DAW

It works excellent for me on Edirol FA-101 interface under Cubase 8.5 . It should work (but doesn't have to) for all of the old firewire devices, not officially supported under OS X Sierra 10.12.6

My trick is only to help people with old, good interfaces to not to kick them out to the trash if they can still work good!

greetings from Poland!

Raphael
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudee ➡️
Hi,

Here is the trick:

3. Go to Audio Midi app

greetings from Poland!

Raphael
Thanks
Old 19th November 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks very much for the tip, works also under High Sierra!!
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Works straight out of the box even without the above, with the appropriate adapters under Mojave still
Old 20th November 2018
Here for the gear

It seems it could have worked also straight out the box under High Sierra - I never tried to use it in a recent Mac OsX before reading this post. From what I’ve read before it stopped working after Mavericks.
Nice interface, bought it secondhand for use with macos9. Could have spend the money for a Steinberg UR 44 elsewhere after the Tascam US-122L became somewhat unreliable under Sierra and High Sierra (not officially supported, but working after disconnecting and connecting with driver 3.00b8) on iMac mid 2011 (not working on macbook pro 2015)
Old 2nd January 2019
Here for the gear

hi i have just found this thread as i have been trying to get my profire 610 to work in Sierra. i did everything following your instructions but i cannot get my device to come up at all even unsupported in the audio midi application. I have tried updating software etc but it is just not seeing it. Any clues on what to do before i have to go buy a new sound card i hate waste!
Old 2nd January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1 ➡️
hi i have just found this thread as i have been trying to get my profire 610 to work in Sierra. i did everything following your instructions but i cannot get my device to come up at all even unsupported in the audio midi application. I have tried updating software etc but it is just not seeing it. Any clues on what to do before i have to go buy a new sound card i hate waste!
There's a Facebook user group dedicated to getting the old M-Audio firewire interfaces working on Sierra. Lots of folks have Profire 610 and 2626 running.
Old 9th January 2019 | Show parent
Deleted 2da10be ðŸŽ™ï¸
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1 ➡️
hi,

Sorry to hear that. I have mentioned, that this is the trick/solution - for one group of people it will work great, yet for another will not work. Maybe try to find solution on M-Audio users forums.

The new thing is that my old Edirol FA-101 works on old MacBookPro (mid 2009) Core 2 Duo 2.26 (!!!) under El Capitan with ProTools 12 = 40 tracks with reverbs, compressors, etc. I think Avid has written their own FireWire drivers inside the ProTools engine. This is impossible but it works
Old 30th May 2019 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_D ➡️
It seems it could have worked also straight out the box under High Sierra - I never tried to use it in a recent Mac OsX before reading this post. From what I’ve read before it stopped working after Mavericks.
Nice interface, bought it secondhand for use with macos9. Could have spend the money for a Steinberg UR 44 elsewhere after the Tascam US-122L became somewhat unreliable under Sierra and High Sierra (not officially supported, but working after disconnecting and connecting with driver 3.00b8) on iMac mid 2011 (not working on macbook pro 2015)
wait, so is there still hope of getting my TASCAM US-122L to work on High Sierra? just updated on my mid-2012 macbook pro (with hopes of being able to install newer softwares like Komplete 12, Omnisphere 2.6, FL Studio 20 etc.) only to find out with dismay that my Audio interface no longer works, and neither does Logic 9...
Old 25th August 2019
Here for the gear

Any drivers required for this? I'm on High Sierra and want to try and 'revive' my 1814.
Old 11th September 2019 | Show parent
Deleted 2da10be ðŸŽ™ï¸
Quote:
Originally Posted by extentstudio ➡️
Any drivers required for this? I'm on High Sierra and want to try and 'revive' my 1814.
Hi,

It depends. Most manufacturers says, that their audio interfaces use native Core Audio driver under OSX. I don't know 1814 (probably M-Audio), but try it.

For example under Cubase 8.5 (which I use) my old FA-101 by Roland/Edirol firewire 400/800 (cable) is wokring without any problems under OSX High Sierra. Cubase VST Connections has it on the list (all ins and outs also digital, etc).

regards
Old 20th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Echo Audio downloads page has a new June 2020 Console driver for Catalina, so maybe these earlier OSX are now encompassed as well ?
Old 22nd June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by extentstudio ➡️

Search Facebook Groups for M-Audio Firewire 410. Just let my nephew borrow a 2626 and was able to get it running great on High Sierra using the info from the group and a few adapters.
Old 8th October 2020
Gear Nut
anyone can help with Firewire 1814 on Mojave ???
Old 19th May 2021

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by odod ➡️
anyone can help with Firewire 1814 on Mojave ???
Would love to know the same thing???
Old 20th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtele ➡️
Would love to know the same thing???
Same Facebook group as previous post has reference to several older M-Audio brand devices and hacks at least, eg ProjectMix I/O. I have no knowledge about other brands, apart from Echo Audio, also cited above.
Old 20th May 2021

🎧 10 years
Aggregate device is great
Old 6th August 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the tip - makes sense.

I've got an old Echo AudioFire Pre8.
I have my mac recognising it everywhere as a soundcard, including DAW's.
Though the Echo Console Software is not recognising it at all.
This software is there to be able to re-rout the Ins & Outs but I can't get in there if the latest software for my OS version 10.14 ..

Any tips on getting that to be recognised?
I have contacted Echo but they don't really support these devices anymore so they may not have much to add.
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
The Echo Audio downloads page has a new June 2020 Console driver for Catalina, so maybe these earlier OSX are now encompassed as well ?
Has this been working for you?
📝 Reply