The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The AMD Ryzen & UAD 2 Thread
Old 23rd February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Already wrote that in the "today we built our new PC" Thread, just want to reiterate here, that according to all forums I read, the new agesa BIOS 1.2.0. 5 and 6, disables XMP and any other forms of overclocking for all Mainboards. Haven't verified personally, because additionally a downgrade is supposed to be also not possible
Old 23rd February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser ➡️
Already wrote that in the "today we built our new PC" Thread, just want to reiterate here, that according to all forums I read, the new agesa BIOS 1.2.0. 5 and 6, disables XMP and any other forms of overclocking for all Mainboards. Haven't verified personally, because additionally a downgrade is supposed to be also not possible
The "bug" is something with EDC, the default value for the 5950X/5900X/5800X is 140.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...a_1206_if_you/

Package Power Tracking (PPT): 142W 5950x, 5900x and 5800x and 88W for 5600x.
Thermal Design Current (TDC): 95A 5950x, 5900x and 5800x and 60A for 5600x.
Electrical Design Current (EDC): 140A 5950x, 5900x and 5800x and 90A for 5600x.

AGESA 1.2.0.6B here, XMP and custom RAM tweaks works like before.
Old 24th February 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser ➡️
XMP's still working after applying the BIOS update on my device. As usual, I had to re-apply the profile post-update.. but it's working and clocked at 3200 MHz
Old 21st April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Anyone successfully running UAD-2 Duo or Quad cards on a Gigabyte B550 motherboard?

Latest BIOS update didn't fix anything for me, my cards are still not recognized.
Old 22nd April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVsnd ➡️
Anyone successfully running UAD-2 Duo or Quad cards on a Gigabyte B550 motherboard?

Latest BIOS update didn't fix anything for me, my cards are still not recognized.
I have a ASrock X570 Extreme 4 and a BIOS update was supposed to fix mine, but didn't. I talked to tech support and we found a fix: swap the UAD card and graphics card AGP slots. It worked for me.
So even though your mobo is different, it's worth a try.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Green ➡️
I have a ASrock X570 Extreme 4 and a BIOS update was supposed to fix mine, but didn't. I talked to tech support and we found a fix: swap the UAD card and graphics card AGP slots. It worked for me.
Knowing how the PCIe lanes are assigned on the motherboard is commonly refered in forums. Most motherboard manuals should have these details. That said, Thunderbolt on PC has poor support and is why anyone without good PC knowledge should prefer USB audio devices. Technically I dont see any reason to prefer Thunderbolt over USB.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Green ➡️
Thanks, that's good to know.

Still wondering if swapping slots or -anything- really has worked for anyone with a Gigabyte B550 board.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondolsen ➡️
Knowing how the PCIe lanes are assigned on the motherboard is commonly refered in forums. Most motherboard manuals should have these details. That said, Thunderbolt on PC has poor support and is why anyone without good PC knowledge should prefer USB audio devices. Technically I dont see any reason to prefer Thunderbolt over USB.
This is about UAD-2 PCI express cards, not the external Satellite versions.
Old 4th May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVsnd ➡️
Thanks, that's good to know.

Still wondering if swapping slots or -anything- really has worked for anyone with a Gigabyte B550 board.
I had a Gigabyte x570 Aorus board and no amount of fiddling would get my Quad pcie to work. Finally sold it for an Asrock 570 Taichi. Gigabyte we’re not too interested at that stage.
Old 8th June 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
have the same problem. (unfortunately) purchased a gigabyte x570s ud. win11 on a samsung m.2 what can i say: the system runs fantastic. except that my uad quad card is recognized. my (fantastic) marian seraph d4 runs on all available slots with buffer 32 crackfree. but the uad is not recognized. gigabyte says with the last bios they would have solved the problem (they have not) and uad is supposedly trying. but please just no hurry gentlemen, i have only bought about 30 plux since 2002 including quad card from you anyway. so far with me in vienna. greetings to the community, chris
Old 8th June 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
last message from gigabyte: Dear GIGABYTE Customer.

Thank you for contacting us.

We will be pleasure to check your request and look for a solution for you.

You have acted according to these instructions?

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...tall-Procedure

Since our colleagues in the laboratory have already determined with F4c bios that there are no errors in this regard, nothing further can be done from our side.
Old 10th June 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
and uad sends me back to gigabyte:
- If you are experiencing issues with your UAD-2 PCIe card being recognized on a system that uses a Ryzen CPU, the first step is to contact your motherboard manufacturer for any new BIOS updates that may be available. Installing the latest BIOS updates for your system will ensure that you have the latest fixes and improvements.

I feel really well supported, not!
Old 11th June 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobfried ➡️
- If you are experiencing issues with your UAD-2 PCIe card being recognized on a system that uses a Ryzen CPU, the first step is to contact your motherboard manufacturer for any new BIOS updates that may be available. Installing the latest BIOS updates for your system will ensure that you have the latest fixes and improvements.

Yeah, I was underwhelmed by UA's support, too. Their recommendation to me was buy an Octo to replace my Quad. Like I have nothing better to do with $1300.
Fortunately, ASrock's support was much better.
Old 11th June 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

This is a game peripheral and computer component companies play called "pass the blame". I've experienced it first hand back when digidesign was around.

Unless uad explicitly states Ryzen compatibility issues in their documentation and webpage for the card, then the consumer shouldn't have to find out after the fact, or dance between manufacturers tech support teams. It's UA responsibility to make sure their hardware works, or to state it's not supported.

Hope you get things sorted out, I feel for ya.
Old 14th June 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
UAD advises me to switch back to intel. i think they should point this out better. windows pc's are now for 20 years Intel and AMD.

For this reason, and due to previously mentioned incompatibly with UAD-2 PCIe cards, I would most likely recommend switching to an intel configuration. I can't stress how easier said than done that is, but most Windows development focuses on Intel so it's a much safer bet to base your system architecture on Intel over AMD.
Old 14th June 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
UAD advises me to switch back to intel. i think they should point this out better. windows pc's are now for 20 years Intel and AMD.

For this reason, and due to previously mentioned incompatibly with UAD-2 PCIe cards, I would most likely recommend switching to an intel configuration. I can't stress how easier said than done that is, but most Windows development focuses on Intel so it's a much safer bet to base your system architecture on Intel over AMD.
AMD are leading the way when it comes to PC hardware development!

You could just ditch the PCIe card all together sell it AMD go native.

UADx is coming to windows in the autumn.
Old 14th June 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I think depending on the setup it might make more sense to just swap motherboard to one that's known to work with the UAD-2 card and keep the rest (if possible). That might be less of a financial hit.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
I think depending on the setup it might make more sense to just swap motherboard to one that's known to work with the UAD-2 card and keep the rest (if possible). That might be less of a financial hit.
Yeah that’s always an option….I’m surprised gigabyte didn’t implement the change in the other BIOS releases as the one they sent me worked….
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider ➡️
AMD are leading the way when it comes to PC hardware development!

You could just ditch the PCIe card all together sell it AMD go native.

UADx is coming to windows in the autumn.
Yes, thank you. I'm sticking with AMD because the system runs great. I use a lot of Acustica Plux and it works really stable with great latency. By the way already with win11. And whether the Uad card is not just a fat license dongle must first prove.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
Yes, thank you. that is also my plan. either asrock or asus. and as easyrider has already mentioned my 40 plux go native at the latest by the end of the year. by the way, I have already experienced with the ssl plux. (and unfortunately had to dispose of a powercore without replacement).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

That's funny. They had issues with the non-octo cards in x299 mobos if memory serves me.

It's just UA being lazy and not working with Mobo makers to get the bios correct, and laziness on the part of Mobo makers as well. Mobo makers can't test every peripheral out there, so it really UA who's most responsible.

I made my mistakes once with proprietary hardware, haven't made it twice (yet...)

If UA is going to continue to sell cards with ancient chips in them, then its their responsibility to keep them compatible. Ryzen is 5 years old now...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
as easyrider has already mentioned my 40 plux go native at the latest by the end of the year. by the way, I have already experienced with the ssl plux. (and unfortunately had to dispose of a powercore without replacement).
I'm not sure all plugins for UAD-2 will end up being native (for either OSX/Win), I'm guessing there could be licensing problems. Just a hunch though.

But yeah, once things are available as native I'll have to revisit my templates to see what makes sense. I do post production (to picture) so right now I don't have UAD-2 incorporated into my work. Actually, I have yet to try the latest bios for my mobo since it might now run my UAD-2!.. maybe I'll do that tonight..
Old 31st July 2022
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
ASUS ROG STRIX X570, latest bios, Move video card to the other slot. UAD Quad works now. JT
Old 25th August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Needed to upgrade MSI b450 Tomahawk Max mobo BIOS due to the common USB dropout issue. Now the UAD-2 Solo card is no longer fully recognized in Windows. (The BIOS shows something connected but the card is flashing red LED light.)

Tried switching it to every port on the motherboard, tried disabling fast boot on both bios and Windows, tried reinstalling drivers, etc.

No dice and I'm out of ideas.

BIOS version is B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02) V3.D
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
In the same boat...

Hi all -

I am unfortunately in the same boat as many of you. My specs are:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core Processor
Windows 10 Professional
UAD-2 PCIe cards, one solo, one quad

When I get back home I can post the rest of the specs. I know it's 256 GB of RAM. Cards work fine on my old computer, getting green and red alternating lights from both cards on this rig. Have gone round and round with UAD support, here's the last response:

"Unfortunately, we have no updates for this. You would need to reach out to your motherboard manufacturer.

Since the cards are working in your old system, it would imply some sort of system incompatibility on the computer's end. We unfortunately aren't able to provide any workaround to that.

You would need to contact your motherboard manufacturer to inquire about BIOS settings to allow PCIe devices to connect."

Any help/ideas would be appreciated. I've already tried all PCI slots except for the graphics card slot. Thanks -
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubade ➡️
Needed to upgrade MSI b450 Tomahawk Max mobo BIOS due to the common USB dropout issue. Now the UAD-2 Solo card is no longer fully recognized in Windows. (The BIOS shows something connected but the card is flashing red LED light.)

Tried switching it to every port on the motherboard, tried disabling fast boot on both bios and Windows, tried reinstalling drivers, etc.

No dice and I'm out of ideas.

BIOS version is B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02) V3.D
Sometimes we can not update the BIOS to old version, but with the flash button we can update to old version.

In the BIOS disable Disable C-States and check the Windows tweaks here, it is the part "Some Windows 10/11 Tweaks:"
📝 Reply