The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
USING 2 INTERFACES VIA ADAT problem! PLEASE HELP!?
Old 11th March 2017

🎧 5 years
USING 2 INTERFACES VIA ADAT problem! PLEASE HELP!?

I've owned a Zoom Tac-8 now for about a year and it's a great interface. I love it. It's been a great upgrade from my original Presonus Firestudio 2496.

So recently I decided to purchase a second Zoom Tac-8 interface to run them simultaneously via ADAT.

I want to send 16 analogue output channels (8 channels from both zooms) to my analogue mixer for outboard sum-mixing. And eventually if/when the need arises i could record with up to 16 channels too. But the main reason was for more professional mixing ability, using outboard gear.

The problem is, I cant seem to get any sound coming out of the 2nd Zoom Tac-8 unit via the connected ADAT sources?

• I've set the 2nd Zoom Tac-8 to standalone.
• The ADAT cables are connected (in/out and out/in).

• I see audio signal from the DAW which is Studio One Pro-v3 - routing sound properly to the 1-8 line & 9-16 ADAT outs.

• I see audio signal in the Zoom MixEFX software (routing sound properly to the 1-8 line outs & 9-16 ADAT outs).

• 2x 8-ch. snakes are connected from both Tac-8s to the analogue mixer.

But there is only sound coming from the master Tac-8 (first 8) analogue outputs which is connected via thunderbolt to my MacBook Pro...

And even though there is signal showing in the MixEFX software and DAW, I hear nothing from the mixer (which is new also & checked that all channels function properly).

• I've setup master clocking via Adat, Spdif, and Internal, all with no change.
•*I setup an aggregate device for the second Tac-8, with no change.

Am i missing something?
Am I missing one important step perhaps...?

Or, is it maybe not possible to run two Tac-8's together like this????

• Do I need to connect 2 BNC cables for clocking to function properly? would this solve the problem?
• BNC connection is the only cable I don't have at my immediate disposal currently...

***Please help***

As I've scoured the internet and cannot find any Zoom TAC-8 specific connection info about this.

• I am at a loss, and don't know how to make this work.
• Any advice, tips, or solutions would be greatly appreciated!!!???
--

SETUP:

MacBook Pro
15" 2.6ghz i7 Quad Core w/ 16GB RAM

DAW: Presonus Studio One Pro v3

16 Stereo Sub Buses created for outputs (showing signals to all buses=YES)

Interface Routing: MixEFX software
Input and output volumes 1-8 + ADAT channels all set to nominal 0db... (showing signals from all bus outputs accordingly=YES)

Zoom Tac-8 (unit #1) (connected to MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt)
8 analogue outputs sent via 8-ch snake to Soundcraft LX7II 24 Ch. Mixer (channels 1-8)

>> all channels outputting correctly

Zoom Tac-8 (unit #2) (set in standalone mode)

2x new ADAT optical cables (in/out + out/in to 2nd Zoon Tac-8 (2)

8 analogue outputs sent via 8-ch snake to Soundcraft LX7II 24 Ch. Mixer (channels 9-16)
>> all channels = no sound output at all???

Again, anyone who could provide some insight, I would be eternally grateful... thank you!
Old 12th March 2017

🎧 5 years
So nobody has any insight on this?
No one has come across a similar issue connecting another interface via ADAT?
Any input would be helpful peeps... Lemme know.
Old 12th March 2017
Deleted User
1. Im thinking you need to hook up the second unit via TB first and get it set how you need, sample rate, clock connection (ADAT) etc,
2. Unplug the TB THEN put it into STAND ALONE mode as it should be getting the 8 channels of ADAT then outputting those to analog outs. Make sure your ADAT inputs on the second unit has the channel volumes at 0 as well.
3. To rule out the mixer being an issue since its giving you the first 8, hook up the second snake of 8 to those inputs since you know they are working at this point

**If the slave unit doesn't allow use of the analog outs via the ADAT inputs then your sunk there.

Most of us just use the second interface as a pre amp then ADAT out to the main unit into the computer
Old 13th March 2017

🎧 5 years
Thanks Shanabit! This sounds like a reasonable & viable suggestion indeed.
Man..., this is a lot of hoops to jump through. I hope it works.
Sounds kind of like device(s) trickery to make this work. lol.

I went out today and got BNCs but, to no avail.
So lets give this a shot - I'm willing to try anything at this point.
I've opened every panel, sub-menu, routing option I can think of...

But I think you're notion is correct - it might just be impossible to continue the path to the 2nd interface's analogue outputs from ADAT input.... *My fingers remain crossed.

I will definately give your suggestion a try tonight - and post back with resultz.
Thanks so much!
Old 13th March 2017

🎧 5 years
Well, Ive tried just about every configuration (clocking, resolution, routing etc,) with the format of setting up the 2nd interface and then removing thunderbolt - and putting it into standalone mode. I am coming up short. Still no output from the second Tac-8.

Soooo... I've provided the info to the Zoom headquarters in the USA, in hopes that they may be able to provide an insight of how to set this up.

I'll write back with new info in the coming days.
THanks again Shannabit for your help on this. IT was a worthy try!

talk soon.
Kindly
Old 13th March 2017
Deleted User
Why dont you set up the 2nd unit alog out and TB to the computer just to check it and make sure the anlaog outs on it are i fact working?
Old 19th July 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_doggy ➡️
Well, Ive tried just about every configuration (clocking, resolution, routing etc,) with the format of setting up the 2nd interface and then removing thunderbolt - and putting it into standalone mode. I am coming up short. Still no output from the second Tac-8.

Soooo... I've provided the info to the Zoom headquarters in the USA, in hopes that they may be able to provide an insight of how to set this up.

I'll write back with new info in the coming days.
THanks again Shannabit for your help on this. IT was a worthy try!

talk soon.
Kindly

Did you find something out? I have the same problem....
Old 13th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hi...just wondering if you sorted working both tac 8's together?
Jon
Old 3rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Yes, I would like to use devices at the same time. Then I have 16 channels available.
Old 18th May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieJay ➡️
Yes, I would like to use devices at the same time. Then I have 16 channels available.
I’m a little late to this party but I have two Tac-8 units and I’d like to use both for 16 inputs into my iMac for drum channels. I currently use one but require 3 more channels. What is the easiest way to make this happen? Do I connect both separately and individually to the two thunderbolt jacks on the iMac or does the second Tac 8 connect to the first? If so, how? I’m not extremely technical and there’s not very much info on these units online. Thanks for any help.
Old 30th May 2020
Here for the gear

I have the same issue and have been emailing back and forward with Zoom-na for four weeks. I'm in Australia and support here doesn't understand what's going on so I'll be calling Zoom-NA after weekend. I'll update with news if I have any.

I can say that in their emails they have said numerous times that it is possible.
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear

I have been dealing with this problem for almost a year now and there is no solution.
Sure they say it works, but it does not work.
In the meantime I have bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and am trying to connect my TAC-8 via ADAT. Also seems to be hopeless. As it looks, the problem with zoom is simply here!
No support comes from Zoom !!!
Old 23rd December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Okay so this makes at least 3 of us.

I purchased a 2nd Tac-8 and just got my ADAT Optical cables today.

I have the master connected to my MAC and Standalone mode OFF. Out to the In of the Slave Tac-8 and the In to the Out of the Slave Tac-8.

I have MIXEFX to ADAT mode.

I had previously updated drivers to the Slave Tac-8 and while it was connected to my MAC I used MixEfx to put the SLAVE into ADAT mode as there is no option on the unit itself. The Slave unit is set to Stand Alone Mode ON (so that i can use the Phantom Power). The bizarre thing with the Tac-8 is that you cannot use it in Stand Alone Mode Off without having the Thunderbolt connection active on the unit. So essentially the slave needs to be Stand Alone Off in order to use the unit. I would not think that both units would attach to the Mac directly. I would think that would cause confusion with the MAC as it can only run one sound card at a time.

So, both are in ADAT mode, however when I use MixEfx the ADAT light continues to blink, like it's cycling and trying to forge a connection between the units but cannot.

Please let me know if you found a way to make them work in conjunction with one another. I was really hoping to have 16 inputs for live tracking. Very disappointed at the moment because I feel I've tried most every option.
Old 29th January 2021
Here for the gear
I figured it out. God I hope this helps someone. It took me forever. Had to do with routing the SLAVE while it was connected via thunderbolt to MixEfx so that it "knew" to send the analog ins to the adat outs.

Master TAC-8
Matching Sample Rate as Slave
Connecting to MAC via Thunderbolt
Using ADAT Clock Source
DAW 1/2 set to 0 DB in MixEfx
EFX Return set to 0 DB
Standalone Off

Slave TAC-8
Matching Sample Rate as Master
Connected via Optical Cable
Using Internal Clock Source
Standalone on

Mix Efx Settings for SLAVE

With the MAIN Out Tab in MixEfx selected

Inputs 1, 3, 5, and 7 panned Hard Left
Inputs 2,4,6, and 8 panned Hard Right
All Inputs Muted (Fader all the way to the bottom)

With the ADAT Out 1/2 Tab in Mix Efx Selected

ADAT 1 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
ADAT 2 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
Input 1 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Left
Input 2 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Right
EFX Return set to 0 DB

With the ADAT Out 3/4 Tab in Mix Efx Selected

ADAT 3 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
ADAT 4 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
Input 3 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Left
Input 4 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Right
EFX Return set to 0 DB

With the ADAT Out 5/6 Tab in Mix Efx Selected

ADAT 5 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
ADAT 6 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
Input 5 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Left
Input 6 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Right
EFX Return set to 0 DB

With the ADAT Out 7/8 Ta in Mix Efx Selected

ADAT 7 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
ADAT 8 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
Input 7 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Left
Input 8 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Right
EFX Return set to 0 DB
Old 29th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
I have the answer.
Here for the gear
I figured it out. See my post in this feed.
Here for the gear
I figured this out as I had same issue. Posted on the feed below doe mixefx software routing for the slave.
Old 13th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorless_81 ➡️
I figured this out as I had same issue. Posted on the feed below doe mixefx software routing for the slave.
Hi, thanks so much for the info.
My computer now detects sound from my second Zoom (slave) however when I have one mic in the slave the signal comes through on all the slave channels. If I put more than one mic in the slave zoom it will combine the signals and send to all the channels. Did you have similar problems when you linked the two?
Old 23rd March 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorless_81 ➡️
I figured it out. God I hope this helps someone. It took me forever. Had to do with routing the SLAVE while it was connected via thunderbolt to MixEfx so that it "knew" to send the analog ins to the adat outs.

Master TAC-8
Matching Sample Rate as Slave
Connecting to MAC via Thunderbolt
Using ADAT Clock Source
EFX Return set to 0 DB
Standalone Off

Slave TAC-8
Matching Sample Rate as Master
Connected via Optical Cable
Using Internal Clock Source
Standalone on

Mix Efx Settings for SLAVE

With the MAIN Out Tab in MixEfx selected

Inputs 1, 3, 5, and 7 panned Hard Left
Inputs 2,4,6, and 8 panned Hard Right
All Inputs Muted (Fader all the way to the bottom)

With the ADAT Out 1/2 Tab in Mix Efx Selected

ADAT 1 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
ADAT 2 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
Input 1 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Left
Input 2 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Right
EFX Return set to 0 DB

With the ADAT Out 3/4 Tab in Mix Efx Selected

ADAT 3 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
ADAT 4 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
Input 3 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Left
Input 4 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Right
EFX Return set to 0 DB

With the ADAT Out 5/6 Tab in Mix Efx Selected

ADAT 5 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
ADAT 6 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
Input 5 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Left
Input 6 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Right
EFX Return set to 0 DB

With the ADAT Out 7/8 Ta in Mix Efx Selected

ADAT 7 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
ADAT 8 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Center
Input 7 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Left
Input 8 (Fader to 0 db) Panned Hard Right
EFX Return set to 0 DB
Hi!
I was having the exact same problem, trying to connect to Tac-8s. I followed every step and it worked, so thank you so much for sharing this very useful information. However, the level of the mics coming from my slave can not be controlled by the analog faders of the slave interface (nor from the mixefx either). Is that normal? I can only use a pre-set volume level, can not lower or turn up de volume (with the Tac-8 that is working as slave only)
Old 23rd March 2022
Here for the gear

Almos there... but not quite

Is anyone else in the situation where you figured it out with the explanation pointed above, but the volume knobs or fades from the slave interface are not controlling volume anymore? Please, help!
Old 4th August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezcadoandres ➡️
Is anyone else in the situation where you figured it out with the explanation pointed above, but the volume knobs or fades from the slave interface are not controlling volume anymore? Please, help!
Hi! Yesterday finally test two devices. Suddenly message firmware update. Forget to switch one Tac-8 off. Now nothing works, no reset, no worksite preferences reset possible. Both units flashing all lights even in stand alone mode. TB cable tested. MBPro recognised the unit but no MIDI options in Update Software avi able…. Contacted Zoom support and waiting.
Someone here knows me to help?
📝 Reply