Quantcast
CPU Powerful enough without Turbo boost? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CPU Powerful enough without Turbo boost?
Old 14th December 2016
  #1
CPU Powerful enough without Turbo boost?

Hello all!

I have turned: Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology (EIST) + C-States off since they both give a terrible amount of MS/Latency.

I have read that running Turbo-Boost (Intels automatic thingy) without the above mentioned enabled is a baaaaaad idea.

Is my I7-4790K 4.00 GHZ strong enough for music production without the Turbo-Boost?

Or am I forced to run Turbo-Boost and therefore also EIST + C-states? For my CPU to handle music production?

Say 50-60 vst tracks.
Old 14th December 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
That is already a fast CPU without Turbo.
However, on a properly configured system, everything should be fine even with EIST and C-States active.
EIST + Turbo gives DPC issues on your system?
Old 14th December 2016 | Show parent
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➡️
That is already a fast CPU without Turbo.
However, on a properly configured system, everything should be fine even with EIST and C-States active.
EIST + Turbo gives DPC issues on your system?
Well. First of all these files give off high latency:

ataport.SYS (ATAPI Driver Extension)
dxgkrnl.SYS (DirectX Graphics Kernal)
nvlddmkm.SYS (NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver)
USBPORT.SYS (USB 1.1 & 2.0-portdriver)

And LatencyMon says that I should disable CPU Throttling.

I asume EIST is CPU Throttling?
Old 14th December 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visephy ➡️

I have turned: Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology (EIST) + C-States off since they both give a terrible amount of MS/Latency.

I have read that running Turbo-Boost (Intels automatic thingy) without the above mentioned enabled is a baaaaaad idea.
They are wrong.

Nothing wrong with leaving Turbo on. The other two I turn off on on my overclocked configurations to optimize, although as Leon notes stock settings don't really require it anymore with most boards.
Old 15th December 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
EIST means clock speed switching, both up and down.
When switching off cstates it will hold the turbo speed. When EIST is off, the system will run at base clock, no matter whether cstates or turbo are on.
Old 15th December 2016 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➡️
EIST means clock speed switching, both up and down.
When switching off cstates it will hold the turbo speed. When EIST is off, the system will run at base clock, no matter whether cstates or turbo are on.
Yes, you technically correct and no that not quite what I'm getting at. I do keep EIST on for stock clocked systems to allow the turbo to function as you say.

With overclocked boxes however the cores are locked to the turbo amount or higher and EIST is disabled to stop it attempting to re-clock in use. Yes, it'll run at base clocks, however the base clock itself is flexible.
Old 15th December 2016 | Show parent
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➡️
EIST means clock speed switching, both up and down.
When switching off cstates it will hold the turbo speed. When EIST is off, the system will run at base clock, no matter whether cstates or turbo are on.
Well.

Strange things happen. When I have EIST and C-states off, but Turbo on.

My sound starts to act like a robot.

When I have all 3 off. I have little problems.

For the record. I rarely (if any) hear clicks/pops/dropsouts.

But I just thought I might wanna get rid of those things LatencyMon said.

I mean it says my computer is not able to handle real-time audio, but I hear no issues on the audio end.
Old 15th December 2016 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine ➡️
Yes, you technically correct and no that not quite what I'm getting at. I do keep EIST on for stock clocked systems to allow the turbo to function as you say.

With overclocked boxes however the cores are locked to the turbo amount or higher and EIST is disabled to stop it attempting to re-clock in use. Yes, it'll run at base clocks, however the base clock itself is flexible.
My response was directed to Visephy...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Visephy ➡️
Well.

Strange things happen. When I have EIST and C-states off, but Turbo on.

My sound starts to act like a robot.

When I have all 3 off. I have little problems.

For the record. I rarely (if any) hear clicks/pops/dropsouts.

But I just thought I might wanna get rid of those things LatencyMon said.

I mean it says my computer is not able to handle real-time audio, but I hear no issues on the audio end.
What values does LatencyMon give you then?
The drivers mentioned are USB and the graphics card. Install new drivers may solve it, USB could be a crappy USB device attached.
Old 15th December 2016 | Show parent
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➡️
My response was directed to Visephy...


What values does LatencyMon give you then?
The drivers mentioned are USB and the graphics card. Install new drivers may solve it, USB could be a crappy USB device attached.
LatencyMon finds 3 problems (Highest measured interrupt to process latency)

Thats my thread about it, scroll down and you see 3 screenshots to latencymon.

Problem is. I have the newest Motherboard/USB/GFX drivers.

My Motherboard is an older gaming motherboard (2 years old) sadly they haven't made ANY updates to it in a long time.
Old 15th December 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Disable your antivirus when verifying DPC and make sure to get the latest nvidia driver from the nvidia site.
Your DPC seems fine, but the interrupt time is too high.

BTW: get the 6.50 version of Latencymon, this one is old.
Old 15th December 2016 | Show parent
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➡️
Disable your antivirus when verifying DPC and make sure to get the latest nvidia driver from the nvidia site.
Your DPC seems fine, but the interrupt time is too high.

BTW: get the 6.50 version of Latencymon, this one is old.

Roger.

But the USBPORT and nvidia stuff seems to be a bit high? I have newest GFX driver.
Old 16th December 2016 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➡️
My response was directed to Visephy...


Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➡️
BTW: get the 6.50 version of Latencymon, this one is old.
This.

Latmon V6 got broken in an update a few months back, I wouldn't trust that revision to be accurate at this point it certainly wasn't last time I used it.

Just to check with the GFX driver, did you do a custom install when you put it on, or just a standard one?

Asking because one of the additional packages it installs is rather capable at really making a mess of the DPC side of things.

If you did a standard install, go back to it, rerun the installer, click "clean install" then "Custom install" and de-select everything that it trys to add but the core nvidia driver itself which is all you need.

The clean install should remove everything and the custom install should stop the annoying stuff going back on.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump