The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
macOS Sierra - compatibility info
Old 21st September 2016
macOS Sierra - compatibility info

OS X Sierra just rolled yesterday and as always there are some compatibility problems in these early stages, so let's post our experiences here and help each other out!

Please share links, general information and let's keep this thread updated as more info rolls.

Best luck with your upgrades!

Last edited by Diogo C; 11th October 2016 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Updated.
Old 21st September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looks like current NI stuff is fine. Some legacy products no longer supported under Sierra.

https://support.native-instruments.c...lity-Statement
Old 21st September 2016
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I love to jump right in, thou install everything on a external drive, if it runs smooth IΒ΄ll jump on right away! IΒ΄ll get back to you later on today.
Old 21st September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are there folks who are still using firewire audio interfaces and have positive/negative experiences after updating?

I have already downloaded the OS, but I have not installed yet because Im waiting to see how the update is going for other folks.
Old 21st September 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I installed a test copy on a new partition - UAD Apollo does not work, the driver hard resets the machine whenever it is active.
Old 21st September 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Aside from some automation timing problems and a couple of GUI glitches, Logic Pro X 10.2.4 and all plugins in my sig are working fine. No problems with other programs so far besides waiting for a new version of Onyx. The latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner works, if anyone is wondering.
Old 21st September 2016 | Show parent
Deleted fa7843c
The same goes for Ableton. Given I was involved with the Beta, I already have upgraded and the plugins passed AUVALTOOL.

Similar to what Michael Carnes reports, I'm not sure what some of the issues are, but I'm generally not having them. Of course my list is not all inclusive, though I do have some included on the "do not install" list.

With some apps users will still have to disable SIP, and I'd imagine that's the hold up. Developers & Apple really don't want to come out and recommend this action, and with hope this will no longer be an issue by the end of Sierra.
Old 21st September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For those who are interested, 10.12.1 developer beta was released today. Most likely we are going to see the public release next month.
Old 21st September 2016
TNM
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I can make an initial report here. My usual osx MO is to wait till at least 6 months after first release. In fact i waited till El Cap 10.11.4 to install that, and it was a fresh install on a fresh drive.. but I had nothing but issues with pro tools (Logic was fine).. I also had the well known safari freeze and total lockup issue right through 10.11.6

So i have planned to go back to yosemite (what the macbook shipped with) for some time, by doing a complete format and fresh install of 10.10.5.. However i decided, since i was going to do it anyway, to wait for sierra to test it first. All I did was install it today over my 10.11.6 via the app store.

So far, all the el capitan issues with pro tools are gone! I read this on the duc but needed to see it for myself. Low latency performance is much less prone to the cpu overload message, and all the graphics slowdown has miraculously gone!

Since i no longer use AU, i can only really comment on AAX. My alliance plugins are working just fine, as is PT 12.5.2. My soundtoys, Arturia,Izotope, Waves9, and softube all seem fine as well.

it's usually AU's that get hit the hardest with osx updates.. I don't want to say if you're a pro tools user to feel 100% confident yet (especially until you are certain your audio interface is supported), but it's looking very very good.

Note, my post is only for pro tools 12/aax users.
Old 21st September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ok screw it here we go, just finished the download (its 2GB smaller than El Capitan??). Got my Time Machine disconnected just in case something blows up on me and I have to roll back to El Cap.
Old 22nd September 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I get frequent crashes with Waves plugins in Logic 10.2.4 and Sierra.

You can drag audiofiles from the finder only to the upper tracks in a session.

Also sometimes if I hit "bounce", Logic crashes immediately.

plugins that dont validate: most PluginAlliance, SugarBytes Cyclop, Synapse Audio Hydra, Sylenth1
also AudioEasy Riverrun and AbbeyRoad Plugins via 32lives beta2 (but works in 32 lives 1.0.10)

Other than that, it seems pretty stable and Sierra solved some weird problems I had before, so fingers crossed.

Last edited by MatzeMillion; 22nd September 2016 at 12:33 AM..
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cakewalk Command Center does not appear to be working on Sierra
Old 22nd September 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
BFD3 seems to work fine in Sierra. Same with Slate VCC, VBC & VTM. Latest release of Logic on a 2014 MBP Retina. Apogee Duet working fine as well.
Old 22nd September 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thall13 ➑️
BFD3 seems to work fine in Sierra. Same with Slate VCC, VBC & VTM. Latest release of Logic on a 2014 MBP Retina. Apogee Duet working fine as well.
The firewire Duet or which one?

Has anyone tested plugins from East West yet? Play 5 and QL Spaces to be more precise?
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got my Steinberg MR816X working. This is what I did.

1. Disable SIP.
2. Install the last drivers for the audio interface.
3. Listen some good music(some worse music might work too) with your audio interface. Enable SIP. Reboot
4. Now the system works again with SIP on.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenAddict ➑️
The firewire Duet or which one?

Has anyone tested plugins from East West yet? Play 5 and QL Spaces to be more precise?
Sorry, this would be the USB Duet.
Old 22nd September 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt working perfectly on OS Sierra.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM ➑️
I can make an initial report here. My usual osx MO is to wait till at least 6 months after first release. In fact i waited till El Cap 10.11.4 to install that, and it was a fresh install on a fresh drive.. but I had nothing but issues with pro tools (Logic was fine).. I also had the well known safari freeze and total lockup issue right through 10.11.6

So i have planned to go back to yosemite (what the macbook shipped with) for some time, by doing a complete format and fresh install of 10.10.5.. However i decided, since i was going to do it anyway, to wait for sierra to test it first. All I did was install it today over my 10.11.6 via the app store.

So far, all the el capitan issues with pro tools are gone! I read this on the duc but needed to see it for myself. Low latency performance is much less prone to the cpu overload message, and all the graphics slowdown has miraculously gone!

Since i no longer use AU, i can only really comment on AAX. My alliance plugins are working just fine, as is PT 12.5.2. My soundtoys, Arturia,Izotope, Waves9, and softube all seem fine as well.

it's usually AU's that get hit the hardest with osx updates.. I don't want to say if you're a pro tools user to feel 100% confident yet (especially until you are certain your audio interface is supported), but it's looking very very good.

Note, my post is only for pro tools 12/aax users.
Hey thanks I am a PTHD 12.4 user and am still on Yosemite. Ut just seemed that El Cap was causing manny issues. So this is good news for me . I am away from the studio until mid Oct. so won't be doing anything until then and hopefully much much more info will be available . Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Gobbler doesn't seem to work under Sierra - unable to download slate updates from it.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios ➑️
I installed a test copy on a new partition - UAD Apollo does not work, the driver hard resets the machine whenever it is active.
That's plain bad. How hard can it be? These guys have been in the industry for quite some time. And it's hardly news for the that Sierra would be coming out.
People install new MacOs's like butter and bread these days. Quite some of them also happen to own an Apollo twin.

Unprofessional UA!
Old 22nd September 2016
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I updated on an external drive to sierra and I could not boot it up.... Did a clean install on the drive and still the same.... I think its a no go for now. Besides I could care less about the iOS and MacOS integration. Just bells and whistles for me....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon ➑️
I updated on an external drive to sierra and I could not boot it up.... Did a clean install on the drive and still the same.... I think its a no go for now. Besides I could care less about the iOS and MacOS integration. Just bells and whistles for me....
Really ? did you go thru the steps necessary to format the external drive into a bootable drive.? Yy typing the correct terminal commands or using one of the install boot apps ?
Old 23rd September 2016 | Show parent
Deleted fa7843c
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavypop ➑️
That's plain bad. How hard can it be? These guys have been in the industry for quite some time. And it's hardly news for the that Sierra would be coming out.
People install new MacOs's like butter and bread these days. Quite some of them also happen to own an Apollo twin.

Unprofessional UA!
It's all SIP related, as already addressed. Both Apple & UAD really cannot come out and say that by disabling SIP, UAD will work. But it does, as with other related apps such as the Steinberg interface as another user mentioned in this thread. Apple cannot for obvious reasons. UAD cannot in order to honor their relationship with Apple, I would gander to guess.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi ➑️
Are there folks who are still using firewire audio interfaces and have positive/negative experiences after updating?

I have already downloaded the OS, but I have not installed yet because Im waiting to see how the update is going for other folks.
My old MOTU 828MK2 is still working perfectly with the El Capitan drivers.

All of my plugins validated in Logic X 10.2.4 except the Akai MPC so I guess I gotta go see if they've updated it or not. All my NI works (Absynth 5/Reaktor 5/latest FM8) I read somewhere else on here the Korg Legacy Collection and Waldorf Largo wouldn't pass, but mine are working fine. Focusrite Scarlett and Midnight bundles are up and running. I didn't really dig into a Logic session too much as I had other things to do, but I opened a couple of tunes that were all done with soft synths and had some Waves plugs in em (CLA comps and every session I have has the SSL bus comp on the master), and they played fine. API 2500 worked in the track I opened with it. So far everything is going good, although Im getting sick of Safari trying to recommend these random passwords when I sign up for things hah. Im going to give it a week, run through some sessions this weekend, and then Ill call it good and turn back on my Time Machine (I don't want to lose the El Cap backup it made right before I updated just yet). Just a disclaimer, I DO have SIP disabled, and have since I installed El Capitan and found out it killed my Microsoft mouse software. Luckily it was still disabled after I updated.

Now the real test to go see if Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens still runs! :D
Old 23rd September 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Have anyone tested Finale & Ableton Live 9? I am using Finale 2014.5 & Live 9.5 which includes Sonivox Samples.What do you think? They might not work, upgrading? I am ofcourse excited about Sierra but i know Apple's not stable with its OSs everytime.The last OS El Capitan happens to be the Worst OS ever to my Mac.I had to update to Finale 2014.5(use to have v2012 until then), I guess, 3 Months after the lauch of El Capitan.(bugs were fixed by then).Apart from that, How are the Fabfliters doing ? Anyone have them? I checked that AIR Plugins work well.I also use WaveArts not sure how they do.Thank You.
Old 23rd September 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The new 10.12.1 beta fixes the crashes I experienced with Logic Pro and Waves plugins.

Sadly it breaks some resurrected 32lives plugins. (quadrasid, etc)

The PluginAlliance stuff is still not validating.
Old 23rd September 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Apollo Twin DOESN'T WORK W/ Sierra - i found out the hard way (had to time machine back to el cap) - everything else (NI WAVES Slate etc) seemed fine - I missed the email sent by UA the DAY BEFORE Sierra went public - Come on UA !!!
Old 23rd September 2016
Upgraded and working. RME Babyface Pro (with beta drivers from OP) and Pro Tools 12.5.2 running like a charm, way better than El Cap. No laggy meters!
TNM
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c ➑️
Upgraded and working. RME Babyface Pro (with beta drivers from OP) and Pro Tools 12.5.2 running like a charm, way better than El Cap. No laggy meters!
yay, glad to hear i'm not the only one with PT lag fixed!!

Still, sierra remains only on my laptop where i use the inbuilt sound, on my desktop in my work room, there is far too much hardware (korg, uad, 3 midi kb's and so on) that all use non class compliant drivers i'll have to wait to be updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM ➑️
yay, glad to hear i'm not the only one with PT lag fixed!!

Still, sierra remains only on my laptop where i use the inbuilt sound, on my desktop in my work room, there is far too much hardware (korg, uad, 3 midi kb's and so on) that all use non class compliant drivers i'll have to wait to be updated.
Yay, PT feels amazing! Definitely recommend updating if PT is your main DAW and if your hardware can take it of course.

Old Yose/ElCap drivers for my Nocturn key/knobs and EUCON worked, so give those older drivers a try and you might have some luck.

Also tested Adobe's CC (Photoshop/Lightroom) and they're also fine.

Happy camper so far!
πŸ“ Reply