The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RTAS Users, Are there many left? Unite!!!
View Poll Results: What Pro Tools/Logic Pro System Do You Still Use Mostly!!!
Pro Tools 12 HDX
3 Votes - 6.25%
Pro Tools 12 Native
21 Votes - 43.75%
Pro Tools 11 HDX
1 Votes - 2.08%
Pro Tools 11 Native
5 Votes - 10.42%
Pro Tools 10 HD
7 Votes - 14.58%
Pro Tools 10 Native
5 Votes - 10.42%
Pro Tools 9 HD
1 Votes - 2.08%
Pro Tools 9 Native
2 Votes - 4.17%
Pro Tools 8 HD
4 Votes - 8.33%
Pro Tools 8 LE
2 Votes - 4.17%
Pro Tools 7 HD
0 Votes - 0%
Pro Tools 7 LE
0 Votes - 0%
Pro Tools 6 HD
0 Votes - 0%
Pro Tools 6 LE
0 Votes - 0%
Logic Pro 8
0 Votes - 0%
Logic Pro 9
2 Votes - 4.17%
Logic Pro X
5 Votes - 10.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb RTAS Users, Are there many left? Unite!!!

k, kind of cheesy but wanted to get to a point and didn't know any other way of getting your attention. So, please forgive me.

So, I'm still on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I still use TDM/RTAS plugins.
I've been a Pro Tools users since 5.0 and have only bought 2 Pro Tools systems.
My first system was around 15k to 18k including plugins etc, 1 888 i/o, 2 1622's, Mix 3 that turned into a Mix 6 and that's not including the all the extra stuff that I built around for the Pro Tools setup (First Mackie Hui Pro Tools Controller for Mix systems etc)
After I did the first trade in and saw how much I lost in the process, I was dumb founded. I could only trade in 3 cards and 1 i/o. The rest I had to sell of including my much beloved UA TDM plugins for a quarter of the price.
Anyway, after now owning the HD3 system, which I haven't needed to expand since the added RTAS plugins that I use more, I only use TDM for Aux tracks and every now and then audio tracks.

So, a couple years ago, I had a talk to about 10 different producers and writers that I know, and come to find out, they had older systems than I had.
They were either still at PT7 or PT8.0.1 etc. Only 1 had PT9 and only 2 had Pro Tools 10.
I then asked if they were thinking about Pro Tools 11, they all laughed pretty much and said why? What I have gets the job done. I don't need the latest a greatest to do that.

After that, I've kept that mind set the same. I'm will to forgo the cheap new plugins just to keep my system stable but it's really getting hard to bypass the new stuff.

Now, I must add, I do have another system (Native Pro Tools 11) and the only reasoning at the time is to keep up on what's going on and all the changes. The funny thing is that is hasn't been that much. I went from Pro Tools 9 to 10 to 11 and though it wasn't much money to upgrade I still don't feel like I go my money's worth which is incredible bad.
Now I use this system to transfer Pro Tools 12/11/10 projects to Pro Tools 8.1.1 HD to mix.

So, this poll is to see, how many people use what version of Pro Tools and why?
Why have you not upgraded and why are you still at said version.

I DO NOT work for Avid or any plugin company but I guess I just wanted to for my piece of mind and maybe this will help someone else's struggle with seeing if it's worth it to upgrade or not. Is it worth it?

Now mind you, I do beta test for a few plugin companies but, I think this will help any plugin company in knowing is it worth it to support an older system or not.
Is there money still in the RTAS format? In people that use 10.5.8 to 10.6.8 to beyond?

So please take the time to do the poll and post why you still use either Pro Tools 6/7/8/9/10 or 11/12.

I'll throw Logic Pro in this since I use and have Logic Pro 8/9/X.

I appreciate the time and effort!!!

Marc
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I still use Pro Tools 10 HD most of the time because I have a couple favorite legacy plugins that aren't yet ported to AAX. Most of the new plugins coming out these days work in 32 bit AAX anyways so I haven't really felt the need to upgrade. I'm thinking about upgrading to Pro Tools 12 HD because of the cool new features though. Track freeze and native HEAT seem pretty enticing.
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Track freeze/commit are great on PT HDX 12.5. There are also some other smaller editing features and such that are really nice they have added over the last couple years. HEAT gets used every session here, fantastic workflow and sound. I have a ton of great AAX DSP plugins but I would love to see more companies get in on the AAX DSP bandwagon such as Eventide and/or SoundToys. That said I do use a SC48 at the church I run live sound for, and I personally wouldnt mind seeing continued TDM support for that.
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PT 12 makes sense for native users. It has a faster audio engine, lower latency, and "commit" and "freeze" functions. Better late than never, I suppose.
Old 17th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming ➑️
I still use Pro Tools 10 HD most of the time because I have a couple favorite legacy plugins that aren't yet ported to AAX. Most of the new plugins coming out these days work in 32 bit AAX anyways so I haven't really felt the need to upgrade. I'm thinking about upgrading to Pro Tools 12 HD because of the cool new features though. Track freeze and native HEAT seem pretty enticing.
I'm thinking of going to PT10HD but have been talking myself out of it or saying to myself, "If I have issue, I'm going to be pissed".
Been using Pro Tools since PT 5.0 and each upgrade I would update quick and be the one that had crazy issues.
So, when we (my wife and I) updated to PT7.0 we slowed down and waited til all the bugs were hashed out and the system was stable. Also, now we look at the upgrade feature set to see if it makes since.
8.1.1 has been so stable that we have yet to have an issue since it came out.
Pro Tools at it's best.

I have Pro Tools Native 11 and we upgraded from 8LE to 9/10/11 and with each upgrade they were crazy issues.

So that has scared me off from upgrading too.

Marc
Old 19th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont ➑️
Track freeze/commit are great on PT HDX 12.5. There are also some other smaller editing features and such that are really nice they have added over the last couple years. HEAT gets used every session here, fantastic workflow and sound. I have a ton of great AAX DSP plugins but I would love to see more companies get in on the AAX DSP bandwagon such as Eventide and/or SoundToys. That said I do use a SC48 at the church I run live sound for, and I personally wouldnt mind seeing continued TDM support for that.
Yeah, track freeze/commit I think is something they could have done in PT10HD and/or 11HD. Just another thing to keep people buying/wanting to upgrade.

I totally agree about Heat. Just an amazing idea and it works period!!!!
Thee best Saturation/Valve/Tape/Console idea and implementation to date!

Keep'em coming guys!

Let's get a true number on who uses what...

Thanks as always Gearslutz,

Marc
Old 19th April 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The number of plugs that arent ported to aax yet can be counted on 1 hand
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
new plugins coming out these days work in 32 bit AAX
I hope you ment 64bit
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip ➑️
I hope you ment 64bit
Nope, I meant 32 bit. I know most new plugin developers are making their plugins in 64 bit AAX for PT11 and later, but most of them are also still making 32 bit AAX and/or RTAS versions as well for compatibility within PT10.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Nope, I meant 32 bit.
Well, coming from a world of cubase, this is totally news for me. 32bit..meh :D
Old 21st April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2 d3 e6 ➑️
The number of plugs that arent ported to aax yet can be counted on 1 hand
Uuummmm, not true....

1. Line 6 Echo Farm TDM
2. Line 6 Amp Farm 3 TDM
3. TC Electronics VSS3 TDM
4. ALL Waves Plugins ALL TDM's (Though you can get them as Native but, will never be able to get them on AAX DSP again)
5. ALL URS Plugins ALL TDM's(Same As Waves)
6. Avid TL Aggro TDM
7. TC Electronics DVR2 TDM
8. Serato Rane Series Dynamic and EQ's TDM
9. TC Electronics Non Lin TDM
10 TC Electronics MD3 TDM
11. TC Electronics RNDigital Uniquel-izer TDM
12. TC Electronics Brickwall Limiter TDM

I can go on, there are more but I need more hands.

True, some of these are AAX Native but getting them to run on cards and not use up system resources is over.

Marc
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Nope, I meant 32 bit. I know most new plugin developers are making their plugins in 64 bit AAX for PT11 and later, but most of them are also still making 32 bit AAX and/or RTAS versions as well for compatibility within PT10.
Yep, so that 7k to 10k I spend on plugins a year has been saving me money.

Not many plugins companies are making TDM/RTAS and I'm sure they are seeing a dip in profits but, hey, I'm sure there are a lot of new Native users buying AAX/AAX DSP so, I guess it balances out.

Marc
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip ➑️
Well, coming from a world of cubase, this is totally news for me. 32bit..meh :D
What's wrong with 32bit?
It's the same as 64bit in quality!
Only thing that changed was soft synths being able to load more samples.
Also, maybe how Slate plugins take advantage of memory in their plugins to lower cpu usage.
Other than that, nothing has changed.

Marc
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Also certain pt10 versions run .dpm which is still RTAS, due to having certain 32 bit AAX not working in 10.3 I have learned this the hard way by not installing both RTAS (dpm) and AAX 32 bit. PT 11 runs AAX native 64 bit where as PT 11hd runs AAX DSP 64 bit. Certain Pt 10 HD can do tdm RTAS AAX 32 bit +dsp 32 bit, however hdx cards only are AAX dsp as well as AAX native 64 bit. Hope this helps and if my memory is off anywhere please correct me. The avid force site can also help if you understand the .dpm .aax type differences.

I am currently on 10.3.3 with lion and 12.4 on external with el cap. I use 10.3.3 more due to plugs I have, as well as just recently installing el cap plus updates on seperate drive. After I get numerous backups up to date, printed, made inactive, then I will probably be on 12.4 for awhile.
Old 22nd April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E ➑️
What's wrong with 32bit?
It's the same as 64bit in quality!
Only thing that changed was soft synths being able to load more samples.
Also, maybe how Slate plugins take advantage of memory in their plugins to lower cpu usage.
Other than that, nothing has changed.

Marc
32 bit versions will sound the same (from what dev's have told me like Mr. Jon Hodgson on this site (hope i didn't butcher his name)... but 64bit obviously allows you to access more memory in the daw etc, and probably runs faster.... AAX imho was just kind of a sandboxing job by Avid/Digi to make devs work within their framework, maybe works with their hardware better, i don't know, but not a fan myself...(esp with legacy projects and whatnot and not wanting to keep 3 different boot drives around for all that....)
πŸ“ Reply