Quantcast
Your favourite DAW for 2016/2017? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your favourite DAW for 2016/2017?
View Poll Results: Your favourite DAW for 2016/2017?
OS X: Bitwig
16 Votes - 1.38%
OS X: Ableton Live
66 Votes - 5.70%
OS X: Logic Pro
209 Votes - 18.05%
OS X: Ardour
0 Votes - 0%
OS X: Avid Pro Tools HD TDM
5 Votes - 0.43%
OS X: Avid Pro Tools HD HDX
12 Votes - 1.04%
OS X: Pro Tools HD Native
53 Votes - 4.58%
OS X: Pro Tools LE/Express/other
21 Votes - 1.81%
OS X: Cockos Reaper
40 Votes - 3.45%
OS X: Harrison MixBus
24 Votes - 2.07%
OS X: Mackie Tracktion
0 Votes - 0%
OS X: Motu Digital Performer
23 Votes - 1.99%
OS X: PreSonus Studio One
59 Votes - 5.09%
OS X: Propellerheads Record/Reason
6 Votes - 0.52%
OS X: Steinberg Cubase
46 Votes - 3.97%
OS X: Steinberg Nuendo
5 Votes - 0.43%
OS X: Steinberg WaveLab
0 Votes - 0%
OS X: Fruity Loops (not yet released as of Jan 1., 2016)
1 Votes - 0.09%
OS X: Other (please specify)
0 Votes - 0%
- - - - - - Linux: Ardour
3 Votes - 0.26%
- - - - - - Linux: BitWig
0 Votes - 0%
- - - - - - Linux other (please specify)
7 Votes - 0.60%
Windows: Bitwig
13 Votes - 1.12%
Windows: Ableton Live
32 Votes - 2.76%
Windows: Adobe Audition
0 Votes - 0%
Windows: Avid Pro Tools HD TDM
0 Votes - 0%
Windows: Avid Pro Tools HD HDX
6 Votes - 0.52%
Windows: Pro Tools HD Native
18 Votes - 1.55%
Windows: LE/Express/other
5 Votes - 0.43%
Windows: Cakewalk Sonar
39 Votes - 3.37%
Windows: Cockos Reaper
115 Votes - 9.93%
Windows: Harrison Mixbus
14 Votes - 1.21%
Windows: Fruity Loops
14 Votes - 1.21%
Windows: Magix Samplitude
21 Votes - 1.81%
Windows: Magix Sequoia
9 Votes - 0.78%
Windows: Mackie Tracktion
3 Votes - 0.26%
Windows: Motu Digital Performer
3 Votes - 0.26%
Windows: PreSonus Studio One
78 Votes - 6.74%
Windows: Propellerhead Record/Reason
3 Votes - 0.26%
Windows: Sony Acid
0 Votes - 0%
Windows: Steinberg Cubase
155 Votes - 13.39%
Windows: Steinberg Nuendo
15 Votes - 1.30%
Windows: Steinberg Wavelab
1 Votes - 0.09%
Windows: Pyramix
6 Votes - 0.52%
Windows: Sadie
3 Votes - 0.26%
Windows: Sound Forge
0 Votes - 0%
Windows: Sagan Mixcraft
1 Votes - 0.09%
Windows: SSL SoundScape
0 Votes - 0%
Windows: other (please specify)
0 Votes - 0%
My fav. DAW is based (please specify)
0 Votes - 0%
My fav. DAW is Android based
0 Votes - 0%
--- I use something else (please specify)
8 Votes - 0.69%
Voters: 1158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Your favourite DAW for 2016/2017?

Which of these OSX/Windows/Linux DAWs is your favourite?

Or, if you use something else - please specify in this thread!

You may vote for only one DAW.

Make sure you select the correct version of your fav. DAW if several options are available.

Dear admin/mods, please have a look at post #30 in this thread.

ETA:

Here's the 2014/2015 version of the poll:
The Ultimate DAW Poll 2014/2015

Here's the 2012/2013 version of this poll:
The Ultimate Favourite DAW Poll 2012/2013

Last edited by nativeaudio; 2nd April 2016 at 09:02 AM..
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Come on, guys... it's not that difficult to vote. You know you can do it. :-)
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Surely Not Logic Pro
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Favorite? Do people usually try out every DAW out there? If so, how long time do you spend with it (a year, a day, an hour?) If not, how can you tell this or that is your "favorite"?

I stick with what i grew up with, which is Cubase. I doubt its still the best DAW out there, but to learn a new DAW is just so ****ing boring i just dont see myself doing it. I remember trying to learn Cakewalk some 10 years ago, i got pissed off within 20 seconds (something with starting a new Project that pissed me off).
Old 5th January 2016
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I don't have a favourite anymore. It used to be Tracktion, but it has fallen so far behind. I use Logic now, and it's quite good, especially for the money. I haven't found one that is better overall. They all have their pros and cons.
Old 5th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarehead ➑️
Favorite? Do people usually try out every DAW out there? If so, how long time do you spend with it (a year, a day, an hour?) If not, how can you tell this or that is your "favorite"?
Favourite doesn't equal "best", it's more about which DAW you happen to prefer. Since Logic is the DAW is still prefer to use, it's my preferred DAW, but not because I think its best... A lot of it has to do with having spent all those years learning it properly.

If I felt that eg Cubase clearly would have been a better choice than Logic for me, I would have voted for Cubase even if I was using Logic in my daily work. The main thing which keeps me not investing some money and a lot of time learning Cubase, is that while I know a lot about all the limitations have - and about how little priority the kind of improvements I'd like to see in Logic have among the Logic product designers, I know very little about the limitations Cubase has.

Composing, score development, proper articulation control and other things that are important for me obviously have more focus over at Steinberg than it has at Apple, while market share, EDM and pleasing GarageBand and Pro Tools users (plus, and I'm thankful for that: bug fixing) seem to be main priorities in Logic.
Old 5th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio ➑️
Favourite doesn't equal "best", it's more about which DAW you happen to prefer. Since Logic is the DAW is still prefer to use, it's my preferred DAW, but not because I think its best... A lot of it has to do with having spent all those years learning it properly.
That's what im saying too. It has a LOT to do with learning the programs properly. If i had spent the same amount of time with all other DAWs (as with Cubase), or at least maybe 1-2 years witch each, then most probably I would have had another "favorite" or "preferable" DAW. My preferable DAW is Cubase because i have used it for, hmm, 21-22 years.
Old 5th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
FYI Tracktion and Mackie separated 4 years ago.
Old 5th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Acoustica Mixcraft 7 (how is it not on the list !!!)
Old 5th January 2016
Lives for gear

Not telling...my Gregorian new years deal,is to not blurt.

I voted sure,however as apart from what I have used,I've really only tried to really use[?] Albeton[unfortunately I never did like gui!not one bit]I bought harrison mixbus when it was[no>>> it seems atm]cheap.

The inbuilt saturation,is kind of interesting,as IT DOES Sound Different to other music software.
Cubase,my personal non experience,better left unsaid....again.

Samplitude 2012,when I had a trial Pro X[not sure if that was with the"Suite" or not] the included plugins,some were the most interesting I've heard/tried in their abilities.

There must be tools similar,though where to find to buy,I do not know?

I wildly"over $pent"after waves dropped the large USB stick-that is only usable for the teeny amount[compared to .wav files]code,and went to being able to use a USB flash storage-that I could still use the storage!

It's a serious bummer that by doing so makes Waves open to stealing,something I could NOT do,as the negative "act" of cracking whatever,will only infuse whatever music made with "stolen"things will be somehow infected by that negativity-say what you will,I just believe something in the context of *wrong/ripping off or similar*will always come back to one,in whatever dose of "wrongfulness"done.

Saying and fully meaning that though unfortunately stops me from fully getting into what is so glaringly obvious-Cubase on Windows is the winner here,as $249 AU,on top of "apple care" etc etc for the decent price of Logic,and then the insane price for a Macbook I'd be satisfied with-not a 13"air with soldered everything Here,no I'd need 15"[like my W540]and those MBP's down here are just laughably overpriced-Iv'e also been warned against Aussie refurbs[no idea how factual that is though?],so Mac never for me in the immediate future,so it seems.

Last edited by rksguit; 2nd April 2016 at 10:09 AM..
Old 5th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I see no point voting right now, since a lot can change in 2 years.

Not 14 months ago, I would have told you I'd never switch from PTHD. Now here I am, no PT.
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can't we have a poll with only the DAW and not the OS/version? It gets too fragmented that way.
Old 6th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➑️
Surely Not Wogic Pwoh
I had to fix that for you (I wonder how many people are old enough to remember what I'm talking about? )

1000 bucks, UB was in it's infancy, the imac I spent 5million dollars on was WOEFULLY under-powered (but everyone told me that it would be "fine" ) and buggy as June in Idaho.

Wow, now I has a sad.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Of course they do

As for how much time it takes, not long here. I mean, it's pretty easy to figure out the ins/outs if you've used one.

Now, finding one that doesn't CRASH all the time, that's a problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirka ➑️
Acoustica Mixcraft 7 (how is it not on the list !!!)
Mixcraft is on the list... I had to reenter all the poll options because first time I tried the poll was rejected because it was more than 60 minutes since I started the thread. So I was in a rush... the result is that there are some small errors in the reply options, which I'm now trying to get the moderators to correct. The main one is that Mixcraft is listed as a product made by Sagan - but Sagan makes Metro, not Mixcraft. Sorrisimo. :-]
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats ➑️
Of course they do

As for how much time it takes, not long here. I mean, it's pretty easy to figure out the ins/outs if you've used one.

Now, finding one that doesn't CRASH all the time, that's a problem.
Cubase does crash for me, but every time that has happened it has been a plugin.. it also might not be brilliant idea to use a heavily overclocked computer for music
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For me comfort factor = favorite, get more done with less stress. I've been on Samplitude from day 1 and while it like every other DAW? has it's bugs and quirks until another DAW offers the power of object based editing and automation I'll stick with it.

G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws ➑️
Can't we have a poll with only the DAW and not the OS/version? It gets too fragmented that way.
Hi jlaws, it's easy to generate a non-fragmented result based on a poll which is as detailed as this one (see image), but it would be impossible to generate detailed info based on a very basic poll. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite DAW for 2016/2017?-screen-shot-2016-01-06-22.38.02.png  
Old 10th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➑️
I see no point voting right now, since a lot can change in 2 years.
But that's true in two years from now as well. :-]
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite DAW for 2016/2017?-screen-shot-2016-01-10-01.28.19.png  
Old 10th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have three I go between, Logic X, Studio One 3, and Pro Tools 12. As much as I swore I was done with Avid, Pro Tools has shoved Studio One out of my top spot for this year. I'm actually liking the subscription model. And for me, Pro Tools is the only DAW that is akin to riding a bike for me. I could not touch it for 2-3 years and jump right back in like I never left. Logic on the other hand, I leave it for a few months, and I feel lost. PT is just so 2nd nature and still just works like non-linear tape, which is the way my mind works.
Old 10th January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Interesting that you did not list PT vanilla. I assume it is supposed to be in the LE/Express/other category? It is most likely #3 or #4 .
Old 10th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Isn't "PT vanilla" just a term which covers than non-HD versions? In that case it is "LE/Express/other", because the other three PT versions are HD versions. This means that – with the very limited number (153) of votes so far – it's #9:

Logic 20,26
Cubase 16,99
Reaper 9,80
Pro Tools HD 9,15
StudioOne 10,46
Live 7,84
Sonar 4,58
Bitwig 3,27
Pro Tools Vanilla 3,27
Harrison MixBus 2,61
Performer 2,61
FruityLoops 1,96
Sequoia 1,96
Nuendo 1,31
Samplitude 1,31
Tracktion 0,65
Record/Reason 0,65
Sadie 0,65

Last edited by nativeaudio; 10th January 2016 at 12:49 PM..
Old 10th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ableton Live. Been loving it for years. Not very many shortcomings in my book.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio ➑️
Isn't "PT vanilla" just a term which covers than non-HD versions? In that case it is "LE/Express/other", because the other three PT versions are HD versions.
I find it confusing. It is probably the most used version. LE and Express are cheap versions, it is not immediately clear.
Old 10th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
From my experience with earlier polls, if people see one reply option which somehow matches what they want to vote for, they sometimes just use it without looking at the other options first. So to have a product just called "Pro Tools" could be confusing as well. "Vanilla" is also a confusing term eg for many non-English speaking people. But I don't mind changing it to something more clear... if the moderators can do it for us.

"Other" also includes Pro Tools first, and since GarageBand may be seen as some kind of "Logic First product", there's room for improvements/more detailed descriptions here as well. So next time, maybe GarageBand should be included, and that the fourth Pro Tools option could be called "Any non-HD Pro Tools version"?
Old 10th January 2016
HSi
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not really that simple for some of us..I use Cubase 8 for most stuff, though I'm interested in Bitwig as well, for live, going to see when and if the modular bit comes in, but then if I'm elswhere when doing a mixdown it's done in PT.
Deleted User
Quote:

I stick with what i grew up with, which is Cubase. I doubt its still the best DAW out there, but to learn a new DAW is just so ****ing boring i just dont see myself doing it. I remember trying to learn Cakewalk some 10 years ago, i got pissed off within 20 seconds (something with starting a new Project that pissed me off).

Me also. I have only used Cubase. Can't afford to try out all the Daws. These days they are so close and I myself can't tell which hit was made by a specific DAW. I know most probably came from pro tools but no all. So I can't tell the difference. To me Cubase is the new PoTools.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassist30 ➑️
Me also. I have only used Cubase. Can't afford to try out all the Daws. These days they are so close and I myself can't tell which hit was made by a specific DAW.
There probably never was a time when people were able to tell.
It really doesn't matter. Whether music sells 100 copies or platinum or not does not have to do with what DAW it was made with.
Old 11th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu ➑️
There probably never was a time when people were able to tell.
It really doesn't matter. Whether music sells 100 copies or platinum or not does not have to do with what DAW it was made with.
No, but a DAW which suits our workflow needs better will cause fewer hindrances in the process of making that music. Tools matter.
Old 11th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflon-telom ➑️
I find it confusing. It is probably the most used version. LE and Express are cheap versions, it is not immediately clear.
Since LE/Express and "other" has a total of only circa 4% so far, maybe some of those who use Pro Tools vanilla are have not been voting yet.

I hope some admin or mod can make some small adjustments to the reply options:

Insert the word "iOs" after the word "is" where it currently says "My fav. DAW is based (please specify)".

Correct "Sagan Mixcraft" so it says "Acoustica Mixcraft" instead.

Add "(please specify)" after "My fav. DAW is Android based".

Change "Pro Tools LE/Express/other" (both in the OS X and Windows sections) so it says "Pro Tools/LE/Express/other" instead – because the actual name of Pro Tools vanilla is just Pro Tools, right? Is this clear enough, aflon-telom?

I wish I knew about the time limit for adding a poll when I set this up, because then I wouldn't have ended up being in a rush when I had to do it a second time.

I've actually been in touch with a mod about this already, which initially thought that polls weren't editable.

So - since I have been a forum admin myself... if some admin/moderator reads this:

If Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Show All Moderators -> Edit -> Can Edit Polls -> is set to "Yes", moderators can edit polls by clicking on a small pencil tool which appears in the poll area.
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite DAW for 2016/2017?-screen-shot-2016-01-11-09.46.37.png  
πŸ“ Reply