Quantcast
"Firewire drives sound like crap, SATA are better" - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Firewire drives sound like crap, SATA are better"
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #121
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
floppies have RIDICULOUS low end. for hip hop it's the bees knees. when the mpc's went from floppies to compact flash i knew it was over for hip hop.

floppy kick soundwave:



compact flash kick soundwave:


enough said.
Attached Images
"Firewire drives sound like crap, SATA are better"-floppy.jpg "Firewire drives sound like crap, SATA are better"-compact_flash.jpg 
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #122
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg ➑️
floppies have RIDICULOUS low end. for hip hop it's the bees knees. when the mpc's went from floppies to compact flash i knew it was over for hip hop.

floppy kick soundwave:



compact flash kick soundwave:


enough said.

You failed to give the song tempo. For fast songs they need one of these.http://www.memorydepot.com/details.a...2GIDE2544TURBO

Compact flash only for halfast songs.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #123
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzleboy ➑️
I bet you the guy has $400 wooden knobs on his home stereo and a $600 jar of marbles sitting on his SACD player.
Love it!

Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #124
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
i just ordered a lacie firewire driveheh
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #125
Lives for gear
 
Greg Curtis's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I now use Shakti Stones http://www.shakti-innovations.com/audiovideo.htm on my LaCie drives, and they gained SOOO much definition and air without losing any weight.

But it still cant' beat my C64 Datasette, the ultimate Digital/Analogue beast!
Attached Thumbnails
"Firewire drives sound like crap, SATA are better"-c64-tape.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #126
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swwm ➑️
Thanks very much guys for the fun. This has certainly been entertaining. i'll keep an eye out to see if anyone does some scientific testing. my very best to you all.

Nathaniel Kunkel
You know, as someone else that was in the room, I'm very disappointed in the majority of the responses that have been posted here. This is alot of wasted energy directed at a gentlemen that could pass on some very important and helpful information to people that frequent this forum. He was very eager to speak with those in the room and couldn't wait for us to start asking questions. He could have just talked at us for an hour and left, instead he proceeded to pass on information regarding his workflow (which was why Digi brought him in) and actually told us to pay attention to what our ears are hearing.

I just find it sad that people are spending this much time slagging a guy that made a comment you don't agree with. Like I said, I was in the room and I'm not going to discount Nate (who took time out of his schedule to come talk to us, he didn't have to, this was NAMM not AES) because he made that comment. I think the way his body of work sounds tells me he has good ears.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #127
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper ➑️
I just find it sad that people are spending this much time slagging a guy that made a comment you don't agree with. Like I said, I was in the room and I'm not going to discount Nate (who took time out of his schedule to come talk to us, he didn't have to, this was NAMM not AES) because he made that comment. I think the way his body of work sounds tells me he has good ears.
What's differnt from his remarks, versus they guy who posted that Mac's sound better than PC's?

If he can pick what was mixed using SATA vs Firewire from files provided, then the proof is there. Otherwise, for me, it's just another "green sharpie on the CD" thing.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #128
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper ➑️
You know, as someone else that was in the room, I'm very disappointed in the majority of the responses that have been posted here. This is alot of wasted energy directed at a gentlemen that could pass on some very important and helpful information to people that frequent this forum. He was very eager to speak with those in the room and couldn't wait for us to start asking questions. He could have just talked at us for an hour and left, instead he proceeded to pass on information regarding his workflow (which was why Digi brought him in) and actually told us to pay attention to what our ears are hearing.

I just find it sad that people are spending this much time slagging a guy that made a comment you don't agree with. Like I said, I was in the room and I'm not going to discount Nate (who took time out of his schedule to come talk to us, he didn't have to, this was NAMM not AES) because he made that comment. I think the way his body of work sounds tells me he has good ears.
Interesting first post.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #129
Lives for gear
 
lordward's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ok guys,

I did it. I made a mixdown through Cubase sx of a short song and then copied the song to a FW drive and mixdown again. Both mixes are identical and cancel out when phase reversed..... and "no" I cannot for the life of me hear so much as a tiny difference and "yes" I have pretty good hearing

I cannot believe that I actually tried this silly test..... I feel like I just fell for an obvious joke. Should I have seen this comming?
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #130
Lives for gear
 
Blast9's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorfuture ➑️
Putting Norwegian Wood on top of heat sinks really helps. It's a Brit Mod we can all afford.

Also, braid the cables clockwise if you're above the equator, and counter-clockwise if you're below. If you're on the Equator, run them straight, but ideally either perpendicular or parallel to the Earth's flux. Use a compass to find true north. Note: you'll need to compensate for true north by adjusting for the field generated by your equipment.

All the best studios bias their magnetic field by burying load-stones under the Studio.

It's a little known Masonic fact!
This is clearly misleading the general public... Please refer to www.snopes.com --- Everyone should be aware that heat rises. As a consequence, the Pierrick special edition LaZee FW disk is bogus and a waste of your hard-earned cash... SATA still wins hands-down. Take you missus for a nice dinner instead
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #131
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Firewire drives always sound better on a Mac.


Nic
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #132
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper ➑️
You know, as someone else that was in the room, I'm very disappointed in the majority of the responses that have been posted here. This is alot of wasted energy directed at a gentlemen that could pass on some very important and helpful information to people that frequent this forum. He was very eager to speak with those in the room and couldn't wait for us to start asking questions. He could have just talked at us for an hour and left, instead he proceeded to pass on information regarding his workflow (which was why Digi brought him in) and actually told us to pay attention to what our ears are hearing.

I just find it sad that people are spending this much time slagging a guy that made a comment you don't agree with. Like I said, I was in the room and I'm not going to discount Nate (who took time out of his schedule to come talk to us, he didn't have to, this was NAMM not AES) because he made that comment. I think the way his body of work sounds tells me he has good ears.


oooops

Nic
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #133
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years



I did some tests, and there really is no mistaking it. The internal drives really DO sound better.
YES, that IS a reference mic, so my measurements are within +/-2dB ish of flat

Let's take hard disc recording to the next level!!

Check my blog for full size images

Dave.

Last edited by DaveSonalksis; 23rd January 2007 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: trying to fix images...
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #134
Lives for gear
 
Blast9's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
heh --- I like your sig!
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #135
krs
Lives for gear
 
krs's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSonalksis ➑️
I did some tests, and there really is no mistaking it. The internal drives really DO sound better.
YES, that IS a reference mic, so my measurements are within +/-2dB ish of flat

Let's take hard disc recording to the next level!!

Check my blog for full size images

Dave.
LMAO.....touche
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #136
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper ➑️
You know, as someone else that was in the room, I'm very disappointed in the majority of the responses that have been posted here. This is alot of wasted energy directed at a gentlemen that could pass on some very important and helpful information to people that frequent this forum. He was very eager to speak with those in the room and couldn't wait for us to start asking questions. He could have just talked at us for an hour and left, instead he proceeded to pass on information regarding his workflow (which was why Digi brought him in) and actually told us to pay attention to what our ears are hearing.

I just find it sad that people are spending this much time slagging a guy that made a comment you don't agree with. Like I said, I was in the room and I'm not going to discount Nate (who took time out of his schedule to come talk to us, he didn't have to, this was NAMM not AES) because he made that comment. I think the way his body of work sounds tells me he has good ears.
has anyone ever been given a job for kissing ass and defending a well known engineer on these forums?

so, should being a nice guy with good ears exempt you from criticism when you say something completely wrong?

I think that for an audio professional, with good ears and good credits, for him to have spouted that nonsense without having tried a null test, is pretty irresponsible. I'm sure that there's plenty that I could still learn from this guy. But, I'm less inclined to care about that because he's demonstrated that he'll happily present his (still untested as far as we know) opinion as fact.

I know that this is hard for some to deal with... and, I'm not talking about this guy specifically, because honestly, I have no idea who he is. He may or may not have done records that I love... but, I've come into contact with PLENTY of engineers with great credits who seem to have lucked into doing great work. I've seen guys who have made fantastic records, but don't even know how to really use some of thier gear.

Having good credits or being in demand as an engineer obviously means that they've probably got some knowledge to share... but, it shouldn't at all exempt them from criticism or a little jabbing when they say something that is just wrong. He may have heard a difference... but, I'm betting it was something other than just the fact that the sessions were being read from different drives.

The people around here who line up to kiss ass and slobber all over anyone with a successful commercial release, are just sad. Why should I offer them any more "respect" than some guy who has been recording local bands for 20 years and making a good living and leading a happy life.

If a little bit of criticism of a guy who made a statement that the vast majority of us believe to be inaccurate, is going to scare him away from posting on this board, then honestly, I don't really care. But, in this case, and in most cases, it's not going to. The guy obviously has a thick skin and believes what he heard and said. Which makes it all the more funny that corporate music fanboys will fall all over themselves to defend anyone who's ever worked with a celebrity.

This guy doesn't NEED you suckups defending him. Especially if you're not even going to comment on what the discussion is actually about (internal vs. firewire drives), but are simply here to defend his honor and his credits and let us all know that you don't question people who have credits that impress you.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #137
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper ➑️
You know, as someone else that was in the room, I'm very disappointed in the majority of the responses that have been posted here. This is alot of wasted energy directed at a gentlemen that could pass on some very important and helpful information to people that frequent this forum. He was very eager to speak with those in the room and couldn't wait for us to start asking questions. He could have just talked at us for an hour and left, instead he proceeded to pass on information regarding his workflow (which was why Digi brought him in) and actually told us to pay attention to what our ears are hearing.

I just find it sad that people are spending this much time slagging a guy that made a comment you don't agree with. Like I said, I was in the room and I'm not going to discount Nate (who took time out of his schedule to come talk to us, he didn't have to, this was NAMM not AES) because he made that comment. I think the way his body of work sounds tells me he has good ears.
It's not a matter of not agreeing...

Anyone with a correct concept of "digital data" knowns that claim of his is absolutely false. Period.

ps: I bet he had some sort of other problem that he didn't explain well...
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #138
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomicpieces ➑️
has anyone ever been given a job for kissing ass and defending a well known engineer on these forums?

so, should being a nice guy with good ears exempt you from criticism when you say something completely wrong?


The people around here who line up to kiss ass and slobber all over anyone with a successful commercial release, are just sad. Why should I offer them any more "respect" than some guy who has been recording local bands for 20 years and making a good living and leading a happy life.

If a little bit of criticism of a guy who made a statement that the vast majority of us believe to be inaccurate, is going to scare him away from posting on this board, then honestly, I don't really care. But, in this case, and in most cases, it's not going to. The guy obviously has a thick skin and believes what he heard and said. Which makes it all the more funny that corporate music fanboys will fall all over themselves to defend anyone who's ever worked with a celebrity.

This guy doesn't NEED you suckups defending him. Especially if you're not even going to comment on what the discussion is actually about (internal vs. firewire drives), but are simply here to defend his honor and his credits and let us all know that you don't question people who have credits that impress you.
Man,

You are SO passionate about this! I don't feel the need to defend him, I barely met the guy. But do you have access to George Massenburg's knowledge or recording techniques? The fact is I thought that the statement was his opinion and I left it at that. My point is the statement didn't come close to deserving 5 PAGES worth of sillyness when there are other important topics that can be discussed. The majority of us don't have systems or rooms that are clean enough to be able to hear the difference if the difference existed! Besides, everyone of us hears things that others don't. That is why we are good at what we do! Does perfect pitch not exist because I don't have it? I don't agree with it, and I'm not going to try ANY test because I think it is a waste of time. But that doesn't mean that I NEED to go out of my way to denegrate another human being because they made an outrageous statement. There is enough of that already. I think that you, as well as all of the other posters here have some valid helpful information to offer to others. I think that it is a shame that the energy is being wasted on saying that Nate is another snake oil salesman. Judge him by his work. Hell, Werner Von Braun worked for Hitler, yet he is the same man that got the US space program working. Judge him by his body of work.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #139
Gear Maniac
 
axtrak's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomicpieces ➑️
it's kind of funny because if Nathaniel Kunkel was a regular poster around here, there'd be a half a dozen posters lined up to kiss his ass and claim that they, too, can hear a difference.

It just goes to show, there are plenty of engineers with plenty of experience making great recordings who manage to get there through trial and error and using their ears, even if they might be pretty clueless about how some of the stuff REALLY works.
I had a very well known (and good) engineer tell me, that he doesn't copy soundfiles in Protools, because they would yound different.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #140
Lives for gear
 
HEADROOM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hell, Werner Von Braun worked for Hitler, yet he is the same man that got the US space program working. Judge him by his body of work.

OOOOPS, unlucky comparison.....Its off topic I know but you re not serious about that are you?

Leni Riefenstahl (the woman that made the hitler films that helped the ****s transport their views) was without a doubt a very talented filmmaker, some of her techniques are industry standard now.

Goebbels was a genius when it came to marketing the ****s. Would he have worked for coca cola they would be twice as big.

The WORK of people can NOT only be judged by the skills but also the results in a broader context.


www.nickoosterhuis.com


"All you can do is ruin things to varying degrees " originally posted by dbbubba
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #141
Lives for gear
 
paultools's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper ➑️
Man,

My point is the statement didn't come close to deserving 5 PAGES worth of sillyness when there are other important topics that can be discussed. The majority of us don't have systems or rooms that are clean enough to be able to hear the difference if the difference existed! Besides, everyone of us hears things that others don't. That is why we are good at what we do! Does perfect pitch not exist because I don't have it? I don't agree with it, and I'm not going to try ANY test because I think it is a waste of time. But that doesn't mean that I NEED to go out of my way to denegrate another human being because they made an outrageous statement. There is enough of that already. I think that you, as well as all of the other posters here have some valid helpful information to offer to others. I think that it is a shame that the energy is being wasted on saying that Nate is another snake oil salesman. Judge him by his work. Hell, Werner Von Braun worked for Hitler, yet he is the same man that got the US space program working. Judge him by his body of work.
I really don't think the vast majority of the posts are directed at him personally. Some of it is just fun, and some of it is an overall WTF to concepts of low-jitter digital cable, green sharpies, oxygen-free copper, 24 bit fixed vs 32 point floating, Reason sound engine vs Live, tubes vs solid state, tape vs bits and on and on etc etc WOW (as Sly Stone out it)! As a matter of fact, I still get goosebumps listening to Sly's performance at Woodstock with all its inherent ground loops, buzzes, feedback, distortion, and VIBE.

People, relax...have fun and make music!

(It's all gonna wind up on MP3 anyway)
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #142
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper ➑️
Man,

You are SO passionate about this! I don't feel the need to defend him, I barely met the guy. But do you have access to George Massenburg's knowledge or recording techniques?
Workign under/with George Massenburg means dick.
I've worjed with engineers that have worked under/alongside great engineers, that sucked.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #143
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
so...

let me get this straight...

****s prefer SATA drives?
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #144
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Semi-off topic but which type of drive would help me fight global warming?

Thanks.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #145
Gear Head
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper ➑️
Man,

You are SO passionate about this! I don't feel the need to defend him, I barely met the guy.
yeah... that's the point. NOBODY needs to defend HIM. HE is not under attack. SOMETHING HE SAID is under attack... but, then that's my whole point... Nobody is defending WHAT HE SAID. But, there are plenty of people lining up to defend HIM, just because he's famous.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #146
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
some theories are so out there that they are ridiculed. if this guy was basing his career on this scientific fact it would probably hurt him that people are making a joke of it. he is not. i'm sure he could care less what people think here. if he is right then he already has the last laugh.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #147
Lives for gear
 
HEADROOM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofsaints ➑️
so...

let me get this straight...

****s prefer SATA drives?

Absolutely They dont like anything that comes from the outside..




www.nickoosterhuis.com


"All you can do is ruin things to varying degrees " originally posted by dbbubba
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #148
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomic ➑️
yeah... that's the point. NOBODY needs to defend HIM. HE is not under attack. SOMETHING HE SAID is under attack... but, then that's my whole point... Nobody is defending WHAT HE SAID. But, there are plenty of people lining up to defend HIM, just because he's famous.
Now here is something that we can slightly agree on. I'm not defending him cause he's famous. I am saying that since I was there I took what was said with a grain of salt. I believe that this has gone to such a grand scale BECAUSE he is famous. If you and I were hanging out and I said to you that wild monkeys flew out of my butt last night, you would shake your head and walk away (most likely never to hang out with me again ) but you wouldn't waste this amount of energy or time when you could be persuing creative endeavors. I'm not mad at 'cha, I believe that someone with your passion could be doing great things other than getting all spun up about something that was said in a room of 6 people.
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #149
Lives for gear
 
HEADROOM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I definitely want to know more about that monkey.....
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
  #150
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofsaints ➑️
so...

let me get this straight...

****s prefer SATA drives?
While we haven't settled the mass storage argument, we have certainly strengthened the case for Godwin's Law.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 30775
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 15929 views: 1529200
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 1296 views: 178881
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump