The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
El capitan compatibility info
Old 2nd October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
THANKS APPLE! Now I can't use my Apollo with El Capitan!!

GUYS BEWARE! I updated my system to El Capitan and I can not longer use my UAD Apollo Firewire. I want to downgrade, but have no Time machine backup. I am going to call UAD tomorrow for some assistance.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
what is El capitain..?? Apples new OS..??
if so why on earth would you do that so early on with no full support...??

🎧 10 years
Or could the title read "THANKS UAD! For not supporting El Capitan!!"?

Why on the god's green earth would you upgrade OS a day into it's release? Yikes...sorry about that. I'm sure it will get fixed in due time.

L
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And why no time machine backup? Do you live in a vortex where things just don't ever go wrong? Never never never be the first to do a major update...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And why no time machine backup? Do you live in a vortex where things just don't ever go wrong? Never never never be the first to do a major update...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➑️
+1
Don't upgrade your OS until at least a few months after it has been released, to give manufacturers time to fix the the drivers. And never, ever upgrade you OS without a backup. If you are really curious, partition your hard drive so you can dual boot to OS and OS++. I make my living working with computers (programming, not music) and I have learned this the hard way. Good luck to you, javd.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSpacht ➑️
As far as audio functionality goes, not much has changed in the OS itself from Yosemite to El Capitan - as was mentioned earlier, there's a good likelihood that you could upgrade your computer to El Capitan and continue to use the Duet/Ensemble-FireWire the same as on Yosemite.

What has changed is that Apple has ceased development of the FireWire Core Audio driver that those devices use to operate. When it was in active development, if we became aware of any software/driver issues we could typically communicate with Apple to get them fixed. But now that Apple has removed FireWire ports from all of their current-gen computers and optimized Core Audio for USB devices so that it significantly outperforms FireWire, they will no longer be developing or maintaining that FireWire code. What's there in El Capitan is basically "legacy" code, and if issues develop with it in the future we won't truly have a way to fix them. This is why we are dropping official support for these devices in 10.11 and beyond, even though they might still continue to work fine on future OS versions. We simply can't guarantee it.

As far as our current devices - USB and Thunderbolt (in some form, at least) are expected to be ubiquitous connections on Apple computers for years to come.
So does this mean that potentially ALL Firewire audio interfaces (no matter which manufacturer) will potentially cease to work?

This means I have to buy a new Mac (WTF !!!) as mine isn't Thunderbolt or USB.3 equipped.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here's my advice to every Mac owner, whether you use Time Machine or not:

* Buy a copy of SuperDuper.
* Buy an external USB drive (spinning or SSD) as big as your main disk. This is your backup disk.
* Use SuperDuper to clone your main drive to the backup disk. Now you have a bootable drive with all your stuff on it.
* Refresh the backup drive before you do any major upgrade (OS, DAW, whatever.) SuperDuper has an incremental update that will just copy over what's changed since the last backup, so it's a lot faster.
* Also do a backup refresh every so often. Every week? every month?

If you ever need to restore the backup, you boot from the backup drive & clone it back to your main drive.

Similar advice to Windows or Linux users, but I don't know specifically what software to recommend.

🎧 5 years
Never understood why people update there studio machines(if there already running stable) and to do it so early is a definite no-no!!!! Im on 10.9.5 running Logic X and Ableton Live both are running great and Im never updating period, if something comes out that don't work on my OS then I won't be using it no matter how bad I want it.... I stable running system beats any new OS tricks or plugins you might want....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf ➑️

* Buy an external USB drive (spinning or SSD) as big as your main disk. This is your backup disk.
* Use SuperDuper to clone your main drive to the backup disk. Now you have a bootable drive with all your stuff on it.
* Refresh the backup drive before you do any major upgrade (OS, DAW, whatever.) SuperDuper has an incremental update that will just copy over what's changed since the last backup, so it's a lot faster.

If you ever need to restore the backup, you boot from the backup drive & clone it back to your main drive.

Similar advice to Windows or Linux users, but I don't know specifically what software to recommend.
If you partition your hard drive and install the new OS on the "test" partition, you don't have to buy any extra hardware or software. There are tutorials all over the web on how to do it. I partitioned my wife's Mac desktop in an afternoon. Just setup a small partition with maybe 20gb, enough to play around with, and see what you can install and run.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf ➑️

I quite like this idea best because if your main drive fails then any partition is still useless, are there any tutorials on this on line and how slow/fast does it do it's backups etc...can a moron like me do this fairly simply..??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I quite like this idea best because if your main drive fails then any partition is still useless, are there any tutorials on this on line and how slow/fast does it do it's backups etc...can a moron like me do this fairly simply..??
Take a look at the SuperDuper page. I like how it tells you exactly what's going to happen.

🎧 10 years
I've been getting e-mails from Native Instruments, Arturia, Presonus, Serato and others specifically advising NOT to upgrade to El Capitan due to yet unresolved conflicts. Even without those e-mails, I always consider OS upgrades risky to some extent. Like others, I'm still on Mavericks (10.9.5) because I didn't read or heard a single good comment about Yosemite and all the software I have works perfectly, so if it's not broken...

Hope you resolve it soon.

🎧 5 years
sucks.. but.. gotta ask.. why update in the first place?

NEVER update to a new OS unless you have to.. even then.. go kicking and screaming. i stayed on 10.6.8 as long as possible and then went to 10.9.5 only after it was verified to work with everything i use.

in the future.. if you want to preserve older OS in your app store account just download the each new OS but don't install it.. then it'll live in your app store account.

also, if you go to the apple store.. they have _every_ OS apple has made on discs because they use them all for support/tech/repairs etc.. and you can even buy the install DVDs on ebay etc.

at one time you could buy them from apple directly but seems they've removed all the software stuff form their store. lame.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
THIS.

This is not an Apple issue, it's a user issue. Never rush to update your OS, no matter which one it is. Wait to see if your software and 3rd party hardware is supported.

I'm still running 10.6.8!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 ➑️

I want to downgrade, but have no Time machine backup.
That's kind of ridiculous, especially when Time Machine is baked into the OS and works seamlessly in the background. What were you thinking upgrading blindly like that?

🎧 5 years
Yup got those emails from NI and Arturia too, staying faaar away from this update...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The day the music died.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Can I please say with appropriate sympathy and clearly humorous intention: "Serves you right"
I mean c'mon mate - NEVER UPGRADE.
I am hard pressed to remember if the was EVER an upgrade that really qualified as an actual 'upgrade' - new versions of Photoshop / Illustrator / After Effects / Live / Logic ? Yes - OS? NO - 100% no...
F-them, all their 'upgrades' do is cause problems.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
By the way, according to an Apogee email, Apple is dropping support for firewire.

🎧 5 years
Well I did it to on my imac. Gave it a try for 2 days. As others mentioned NI and MAME are no work.

Anyhow, I always backup. About once a week so I am going back. Will wait for NI to give support. Apparently I know now that metal does not improve performance on a 2011 imac so what was the point.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it is not wise to install the latest greatest operating system so soon on a main recording computer, or any main production system, imho, sorry man that blows hopefully they release an update to correct this soon
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My Steinberg MR816X works just fine. When I installed the drivers, I needed to disable first the system integrity protection.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Working El Capitan Plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisenet ➑️
For the most part I only use Slate Drums, some Waves plugs, Logic's native compressors, delays and Space Designer.

I also use BIAS guitar amp sim but I have a working relationship with them so I can ask them directly. Occasionally I use Amplitube but not very often...

Thank you for testing this out for us. I'd like to upgrade but wanna make sure everything works first.
Slate Drums (SSD4), UVI, VSL, and the latest Waves work in Pro Tools 11.3.1 for me in 10.11 with the Apogee Duet iOS/OSX and the Digi 003R. Half of Apple's own plugins fail when opening Logic X including Alchemy. Waves MV-2 (mono) fails, UVI simply hangs the machine. Waves Tracks Live 1.1 works, too.

Graphics performance in PT 11.3.1 continuous scroll has not been improved.

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Presonus Firestudio Project works, they released a new driver software for El Capitan.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Planned Obsolescence and Our Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusEsq ➑️
My Apogee Duet Firewire has always required driver software which Apogee has released each time Apple updated their operating systems ... (for better or worse). I might be able to accept the incompatibility of the Duet Firewire if Apple released, for example, OS ELEVEN, but El Capitan is still OSX. I know that Pro Tools users have had ugrade issues in the past, but I figured (obviously incorrectly) that since Apple makes their Computers and I am using Logic Pro X, that there shouldn't be "interface" issues for the audio/usb/firewire/thunderbolt, etc., inputs on my 1 year old Mac Mini! This whole thing is completely rediculous... and Apogee isn't entirely to blame ... however, they should test it and fix it!
If my 003R is running on 10.11 with Pro Tools and iTunes (system sound) then there is no good reason that Apogee cannot write a driver to make their Firewire stuff work. Some call it Planned Obsolescence, I call it lazy engineering. If
HTML Code:
they
won't release a driver, then they should open up their source and let someone in the field do it.
Tui

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesPDX ➑️
Half of Apple's own plugins fail when opening Logic X including Alchemy.
How can this be. Logic's own plug-ins are not regular AUs but hard-coded into Logic. Alchemy can't even be disabled in Plug-In Manager.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Everyone blames the user, but c'mon… Universal Audio is equally to blame. An issue of a "everything's ****ed on new OS" sort is a so called "blocker" issue and should take priority over pretty much anything else! UA had access to this new OS for many months and if they cared enough they would have fixed it.

The only one NOT to blame here is the Apple - they innovate at their own pace, provide early access to new releases for developers and what else can they do? They can't wait for everyone everywhere to update their code.

And yeah, you could say "don't upgrade", but what with people who just bought a new computer? For example AKAI with their drivers for EIE PRO are like two releases of OS X behind That's like 2 years of negligence and that seriously tells the story about the company…

🎧 5 years

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
ElCra****an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➑️
How can this be. Logic's own plug-ins are not regular AUs but hard-coded into Logic. Alchemy can't even be disabled in Plug-In Manager.
People are posting on MacRumors. "Just download it again from the app store, dude!" Yeah, okay... rolling back in 3... 2... 1...
πŸ“ Reply