The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using an IDE RAID?
Old 7th October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Using an IDE RAID?

Trying to educate myself on the various IDE RAID configs
(http://www.storagereview.com/) and wonder if anyone is having luck with 1+0 or 0+1 configs. I know there is a performance hit but with faster drives available I'm wondering if there is a reasonable compromise to be had that would give some fault tolerance. Seems like it might be more efficient to have fault tolerance vs expensive and time consuming storage backup. At least limiting full backup to a less frequent necessity.
Any thoughts?
Old 20th October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
i use only a raid 0 set up but i can tell you it is worth it. i thought about doing 0+1 (if i remember right that is speed + redundancy) but instead decided on getting a single large harddrive for backup. it is not realtime back up. i just back up in a session during short breaks and always at the end. i found it to be a little cheaper (3 hard drives instead of 4) and i can always get another hard drive once the backup drive fills up. problem with a four drive array is that if you want to increase the storage capacity of the array, speed, etc. you have to buy four new hard drives of the same make and model. with raid 0 only, you just need 2.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…