Quantcast
Audient ID14 or ID22? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audient ID14 or ID22?
Old 3rd August 2016
  #31
Gear Addict
 
hodshonf's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
just bought the ID14 to replace an aging scarlett 18i8 (and only a year old).

hopefully the latency with win 8.1 isn't an issue.

get it today.
Old 3rd August 2016
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Lorenzop's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I see.

For me greatest pity is that the id22 does not have midi i/o. What a party pooper.
Old 31st August 2016 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev ➡️
Hello world, I have my new ID14 finally . The setup was something I had to understand because it had this mixer editor. It was easy to use anyway.

This is an upgrade from my Focusrite 2i2. Question my friends, What is the JFET D.I? What are the advantages? Do you record your synths? Can you tell me more about this ? If it's ok, since I record track by track anyway, might as well put everything thru the FET D.I?

Give me some insight..
DI is mono front panel input, which is generally meant for direct recording of sources with high output impedance, so typically guitars, basses.
FET or JFET means there is used specific type of transistor at input circuit, which provides very high input impedance (good f) and "tube-like" low ordered distortions with higher signal levels instead of hard clipping.

Synth recording isn't typical use for that.. because most of synths have already low output impedance and backside line level inputs at TRS jacks are more suitable for that. Besides two channels for stereo.. those line inputs have higher maximum input level than DI, it's again about the optimization for typical sources.

Of course, although it's not typical, you can experiment with some mono synth and front DI input.. it's just about your taste and workflow.

Michal
Old 31st August 2016
  #34
Gear Nut
 
DenaliDave's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I do my voiceover work with a iD22. The Macbook Air I use is USB 2.0 (I think the iD22 is as well?) ...

Never noticed any latency issues with spoken word compared to a Thunderbolt interface I have that I run through a Macbook Pro. Musical insturments or singing might be different, however.

In any case, Audient has some of the best customer service I've seen in a company as of late. If I have a question, they respond to my emails very quickly and even follow up later on ... making sure I got the answer and am OK. Very cool!

As others have said, the AD/DA converters are really good. I've been looking for some kind of upgrade path beyond the ones in the iD22, and it appears I'd have to spend several thousands on a Lynx HiLo or something to get any kind of improvement.

The Texas Instruments Burr-Brown chips they're using are pretty much the top of the line. The only better chip offers DSP and is the one found in those 2-4 thousand dollar AD/DA converters, and honestly we're talking a difference of a few numbers on paper.

The iD22 is rather larger, so that may be a concern if your studio is small-ish. It does, however, have the very best converters for the price anywhere. The preamps are also insanely good. I've A/B'ed the iD22's preamps to an Avalon M5's and the difference is slight. The iD22's are a little more flat and 2-dimensional and not *quite* as warm. I'm talking about having to really, really listen back and forth here too. It's pretty astonishing how good the entire unit is for the price.
Old 15th November 2016 | Show parent
  #35
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Anyone compared the sound quality from the Audient ID22 with more
expensive units as Prism Lyra/Orpheus, Mytec 192, Mytek Brooklyn, Benchmark,
Lavry etc. etc Is the ID22 really up there ? Any comparison?
Old 2nd December 2016 | Show parent
  #36
Gear Nut
 
7blanche's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larss ➡️
Anyone compared the sound quality from the Audient ID22 with more
expensive units as Prism Lyra/Orpheus, Mytec 192, Mytek Brooklyn, Benchmark,
Lavry etc. etc Is the ID22 really up there ? Any comparison?
I'm also very interested in this. I have RME MF to Mytek 96DAC and then to monitor controller (by Vintage Maker), and if Audient iD22 and iD14 d-a-converter wise comes close to Mytek96DAC then I could replace all these boxes with single Audient. I had a chance to compare the small iD4 with Mytek96DAC, the iD4 did not have the detail, nor the 3d feel of Mytek96DAC, but still it sounded good even without the Burr Brown converters.
Old 2nd December 2016 | Show parent
  #37
330128
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7blanche ➡️
I'm also very interested in this. I have RME MF to Mytek 96DAC and then to monitor controller (by Vintage Maker), and if Audient iD22 and iD14 d-a-converter wise comes close to Mytek96DAC then I could replace all these boxes with single Audient. I had a chance to compare the small iD4 with Mytek96DAC, the iD4 did not have the detail, nor the 3d feel of Mytek96DAC, but still it sounded good even without the Burr Brown converters.
I've compared the ID14 to the Motu 16a if that means anything?

Not to piss on a product because I think for the price it's close to unbeatable in a lot of ways for a consumer application. I like the AD of the ID14, it's up there with the big boys but the DA is definitely not. Basically I came to the same conclusion that you did with the ID4.
Old 2nd December 2016 | Show parent
  #38
Gear Nut
 
7blanche's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330128 ➡️
I've compared the ID14 to the Motu 16a if that means anything?

Not to piss on a product because I think for the price it's close to unbeatable in a lot of ways for a consumer application. I like the AD of the ID14, it's up there with the big boys but the DA is definitely not. Basically I came to the same conclusion that you did with the ID4.
Thanks 330128.

AUDIENT should make a Hi End version - I mean I like the options of USB power on iD14 and the monitor controllers on their interfaces (I tested the iD4 one), but I love the detail of my Mytek DA and could not switch to lower sound quality.
Old 2nd December 2016
  #39
Lives for gear
 
jlaws's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
In loop back tests, which take into account both the ad and da, the audient idea performs amazingly well. It performs better than the prism Orpheus, among others. Not bad for being a fraction of the price...
Old 26th February 2017 | Show parent
  #40
Here for the gear
 
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems Audient use different converters for literally each and every one of their interfaces, from the iD4 (that being the only one that uses converters not made by burr brown) right up to the rackmount ASP units?
Audient describe ASP800 as having "pristine burr-brown converters" and spec-sheets say that it uses Burr-Brown PCM4204 chipset whereas ASP880 is described instead as using "the best converters available from Burr brown", suggesting that the converters in it are better than ASP800, presumably? ASP880 specs don't mention the chipset and nor do the spec sheets of iD14 and iD22 mention chipsets either for that matter (though Audient have said that iD14 and iD22 differ).

I guess this may be logical for the most part yet I would have thought that there would at least be one expensive portable version in the line (not too many ins/outs) that shared the converter quality of the flagship (presuming that to be ASP880) so that they had a "backwards compatibility" in a pro studio recording environment.
Seems instead that even if I buy the flagship "desktop style" interface from Audient, the iD22, I am not getting the converter quality found in the ASP racks?
Old 26th February 2017
  #41
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
AFAIK their iD22 uses PCM1798 for DAC and PCM4220 for ADC.
So yes ADC chip is the same type as in ASP880.

iD14 and ASP800 are more budget friendly, scaled down versions.. so they use PCM4202 and 4204 respectively.
Those chips has also lower power consumption, it might be advantage for bus powered design like iD14.
DAC there is PCM4104.

However as I've mentioned many times, the chip is just one piece of puzzle and there are other attributes, which affects the result, so it's not definite indicator of audio quality.

Michal
Old 26th February 2017 | Show parent
  #42
Here for the gear
 
Many thanks for the info. So sounds like the ASP880 is the exclusive top of the line product in terms of converters whereas iD22 and ASP800 are the same converters as each other and pristine and close.
Old 26th February 2017 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenD ➡️
Many thanks for the info. So sounds like the ASP880 is the exclusive top of the line product in terms of converters whereas iD22 and ASP800 are the same converters as each other and pristine and close.
ASP880 and iD22 has the same AD converters and from this point, it's their top of the line.

ASP800 and iD14 uses lower specced converters, but if that fact would be somewhat apparent at your setup is other thing.

I haven't heard everything, but I've heard ASP008 (predecessor of 880), iD22 and iD14. All sound very respectable and mainly due to its great class-A preamps it hits above its respective price point IMO.

Michal
Old 26th February 2017 | Show parent
  #44
Here for the gear
 
Right. Got you this time. My bad. Sorry for the confusion.

And that's reassuring to hear you say you used iD14 and found it sounded excellent as I recently purchased that one.
Old 27th February 2017 | Show parent
  #45
Audient
 
audientworld's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenD ➡️
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems Audient use different converters for literally each and every one of their interfaces, from the iD4 (that being the only one that uses converters not made by burr brown) right up to the rackmount ASP units?
Audient describe ASP800 as having "pristine burr-brown converters" and spec-sheets say that it uses Burr-Brown PCM4204 chipset whereas ASP880 is described instead as using "the best converters available from Burr brown", suggesting that the converters in it are better than ASP800, presumably? ASP880 specs don't mention the chipset and nor do the spec sheets of iD14 and iD22 mention chipsets either for that matter (though Audient have said that iD14 and iD22 differ).

I guess this may be logical for the most part yet I would have thought that there would at least be one expensive portable version in the line (not too many ins/outs) that shared the converter quality of the flagship (presuming that to be ASP880) so that they had a "backwards compatibility" in a pro studio recording environment.
Seems instead that even if I buy the flagship "desktop style" interface from Audient, the iD22, I am not getting the converter quality found in the ASP racks?
Hi Everyone,

You seem to have worked out the answer perfectly well. However just to confirm, the iD22 and ASP880 have the same top of the range Burr Brown converters.

The iD14 and ASP800 have the same "second best" Burr Brown Converters. This means slightly less dynamic range.

The iD4 however uses an AKM chipset. These are very similarly specced to the converters found in the iD14. It is extremely difficult to find any discernible difference in audio quality. The main reason for the switch to a different brand is because the Burr Brown chips can be very power hungry, making it difficult to power the unit with just USB.

Please let us know if you have any more questions in relation to our products!

All the best,

Rynne Ellis
Audient Tech Support
Old 2nd March 2017 | Show parent
  #46
Here for the gear
 
Great. Nice and simple after all. If only more companies were so transparent.

One final question I would have is about mic pre-amps. I saw in another thread an Audient rep (Harry) write the following:

"I can confirm the class A pres found on iD22, ASP008 and ASP880 are all the same topology as our console preamps (just different board layouts and changing some component sizes to fit in a little box etc.)"

Now I know Audient say they use the same pre-amps throughout the entire interface range but I wondered did Harry's statement above possibly suggest that something else about the build/ signal path etc (sorry, I know nothing about such things) means that iD22 (and the ASP racks) have a slightly better sound from their pre-amp when compared to iD4 and iD14?

It would not surprise me if this was the case, or does iD14 (converters aside) sound identical to iD22 when you plug a source into it?

Thanks,
BenD
Old 3rd March 2017 | Show parent
  #47
Audient
 
audientworld's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenD ➡️
Great. Nice and simple after all. If only more companies were so transparent.

One final question I would have is about mic pre-amps. I saw in another thread an Audient rep (Harry) write the following:

"I can confirm the class A pres found on iD22, ASP008 and ASP880 are all the same topology as our console preamps (just different board layouts and changing some component sizes to fit in a little box etc.)"

Now I know Audient say they use the same pre-amps throughout the entire interface range but I wondered did Harry's statement above possibly suggest that something else about the build/ signal path etc (sorry, I know nothing about such things) means that iD22 (and the ASP racks) have a slightly better sound from their pre-amp when compared to iD4 and iD14?

It would not surprise me if this was the case, or does iD14 (converters aside) sound identical to iD22 when you plug a source into it?

Thanks,
BenD
Hi Ben,

From the context of Harry's statement, It sounds as if this statement was made before the ASP800, iD14 and iD4 were added to our product line. I can confirm that the above statement applies to all of the new products added to our line.

The preamps in the iD4, iD14 and ASP800 are identical to console preamps, just laid out slightly different and using much smaller components. The sound from the preamps is identical on all products across our line from the affordable iD4 to the modern classic ASP8024 large format console. The main difference in audio quality is the converters. However our R&D team have worked tirelessly during the design phases of our new products to make sure that the same level of audio quality is available at all price points despite the different models of ADC - DAC chips. We think it would be an injustice to deny our customers excellent quality audio because they cant afford our more expensive products.

So in short, aside from conversion, the iD22 and the iD14 sound identical.

Best,

Rynne Ellis
Audient Tech Support
Old 5th March 2017 | Show parent
  #48
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld ➡️
Hi Ben,

From the context of Harry's statement, It sounds as if this statement was made before the ASP800, iD14 and iD4 were added to our product line. I can confirm that the above statement applies to all of the new products added to our line.

The preamps in the iD4, iD14 and ASP800 are identical to console preamps, just laid out slightly different and using much smaller components. The sound from the preamps is identical on all products across our line from the affordable iD4 to the modern classic ASP8024 large format console. The main difference in audio quality is the converters. However our R&D team have worked tirelessly during the design phases of our new products to make sure that the same level of audio quality is available at all price points despite the different models of ADC - DAC chips. We think it would be an injustice to deny our customers excellent quality audio because they cant afford our more expensive products.

So in short, aside from conversion, the iD22 and the iD14 sound identical.

Best,

Rynne Ellis
Audient Tech Support

Hi Rynne,

Thanks for your fast reply. I am sure you are right thinking that the statement was likely written before iD4 and id14 were introduced (..I had stupidly let it slip my mind that they came slightly later than the others).

Anyhow that's of course great news to hear as a recent iD14 buyer. Impressive. Glad I've bought it. All the best for your future in the world of interfaces. Looks like by all accounts you've made an epic debut.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 19th May 2017
  #49
Gear Addict
 
ikamy's Avatar
 
Hi, do I need extra gear / device / power supply with ID22 if I want to use it with microphone like Neumann TLM 102 ??
Old 19th May 2017 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikamy ➡️
Hi, do I need extra gear / device / power supply with ID22 if I want to use it with microphone like Neumann TLM 102 ??
Not really, you can record TLM102 straight to iD22. There's everything you'll need for that.. mic preamp with phantom power.

Michal
Old 27th May 2017
  #51
Lives for gear
 
davidgary73's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I tested my old Motu Ultralite FW just to see how it fairs against iD14.

At 44.1 KHz, 128 buffersize, Motu Ultralite shows 7ms latency while ID14 is 10.3ms latency. Should i be concern?

It feels alrite playing with the extra 3.3ms but hopefully Audient can tweak their drivers to have better low latency
Old 27th May 2017 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 ➡️
At 44.1 KHz, 128 buffersize, Motu Ultralite shows 7ms latency while ID14 is 10.3ms latency. Should i be concern?
That's your call.. If you don't have any issues with that, it's fine.

Quote:
It feels alrite playing with the extra 3.3ms but hopefully Audient can tweak their drivers to have better low latency
Frankly.. I'd take that as final figure, it's quite common for this kind of USB interfaces.

Michal
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 816 views: 168663
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 21st May 2021
replies: 230 views: 68148
Avatar for PACHAMAMA
PACHAMAMA 1 week ago
replies: 89 views: 21880
Avatar for Slots1Up
Slots1Up 6th February 2020
replies: 340 views: 57138
Avatar for Dino_Drums
Dino_Drums 15th June 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump