The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
correct me if i am wrong but talking about 'loads'... anything in a series has to be assigned to one core no matter if it's inserts on a track, fed to a bus or fed to aux track (fx)... if it is in the audio's path out it has to be on one core. at least that is my understanding on how things are spread out across multiple cores systems. some DAWs handle multiple core systems better than others (supposedly) but they ALL have to follow the 'series' constraint due to timings and delay compensations
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle ➡️
Try taking celestial off i bet it runs then.
On my system i have to change the plugin load balancing in Cakewalk to ‘on’ specifically for that plugin.
There is something weird with it, fortunately here i only use it in mastering sessions.
I was going to suggest the same. In the past few months I’ve noticed that Celestial cripples my cpu - seems like something is off with it, bc I never noticed that in the past.

In terms of plugins in a linear chain, I’ve noticed that with Cubase it doesn’t make a difference if I put the plugins on an audio track or the master buss or split them between - I get the same number (so seems like 1 core in use). On Reaper, I can get more plugins in the chain when I divide them between an audio track and the master buss (maybe 2 cores and just introduces more latency?).
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
So I see no official response from AA.

I see AcusticaCM posting in other threads.

What's up?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi. I have Sienna and Guru Trial installed. I want to uninstall it. The only place I can find it in Aquarius is under Search. It's not listed under "Updates" at all which is where I usually find the uninstall.

I was going to try and re-install it but the download is now over 4G so I am hoping for an easier way to uninstall.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Very weird. I rebooted (macPOS10.13) and that didn't help reveal Sienna to uninstall in Aquarius. So I installed Guru to test if re-installing would make them show up in Aquarius so I could "properly" uninstall. That worked and I was able to uninstall from Aquarius. Before I did the uninstall of Guru, I looked in the Components folder there both "Reference" and "Guru" were there with associated .component files, .xml, etc plus the Sienna folder. However when I did uninstall of Guru only, it uninstalled everything in components related to Sienna. That's what I wanted but not what I expected.

I think Aquarius and my system got of sync somehow but all is good now that I was able to uninstall all Sienna.

Last edited by plexus; 6 days ago at 08:56 PM..
Acustica Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by origin35 ➡️
So I see no official response from AA.

I see AcusticaCM posting in other threads.

What's up?
Tomorrow I will have news. It takes time to evaluate everything in detail and be able to provide an accurate answer. Thanks.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonic88 ➡️
I took your advice, Uncovered Pitch, and I constructed 5 buses, excluding the Master Bus, and redid the test. I delibaretly placed only one plugin per channel/bus and I avoided the CelestialMB, Lemon, Crimson and other known CPU hitters (with those enabled it's much worse). Here's the result:

https://i.ibb.co/T4JcKtw/aquanew.png

RT CPU was hovering around 40 to 45% and the audio drops, while not as extreme as in my first test, still happened about every half a second. I tried to lower the buffer down to 2048 but this made matters only worse. Only when I remove the Jade instance from the Master Bus and the Oram EQ from the last Bus before the Master Bus does it cease to cut the audio.

This can't be it... One single instance of Taupe on the main audio track, then a single Snow MB on a Bus, followed Scarlet 4, Jade, Coffee, Oram and Jade once again. Not a single track had two plugins on it, yet the audio is getting cut up like there's no tomorrow...
Reaper is very tweaky so you'll need a lot of patience if you want to get the best out of it. Jade should not be on the master buss like I said. Also in your screenshot all your busses go to the master buss. I can't see your complete routing but it looks like you're daisy-chaining plus sending each buss to the master separately. This would increase CPU usage if indeed the case.

It could also be just one of the plug-ins and its specific version/core that doesn't gel with your system, while all the others work fine.

In addition, there are lots of settings to tweak in the Preferences like multi-core performance and anticipative processing. Plus tons of options in Windows too. It took me weeks to optimise Reaper. If you love the AA sound then I guess it's worth it...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️

Also Reaper doesn't seem to work as well for AA plugins as Cubase. I set up the exact same mix on both, with the same busses, aux etc and Reaper would not play the project back. Cubase was at 99% perf meter but everything was smooth.

3950x AMd, 32 gigs ram.

M
Wow this is unexpected. I find, as do many others, Reaper to be the most efficient with AA. I use Cubase for writing recording and arranging but don’t dare mix on it especially with AA. Wonder if it has anything to do with you being on AMD? I’m standard issue Wintel, older i7.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncovered Pitch ➡️
Reaper is very tweaky so you'll need a lot of patience if you want to get the best out of it. Jade should not be on the master buss like I said. Also in your screenshot all your busses go to the master buss. I can't see your complete routing but it looks like you're daisy-chaining plus sending each buss to the master separately. This would increase CPU usage if indeed the case.

It could also be just one of the plug-ins and its specific version/core that doesn't gel with your system, while all the others work fine.

In addition, there are lots of settings to tweak in the Preferences like multi-core performance and anticipative processing. Plus tons of options in Windows too. It took me weeks to optimise Reaper. If you love the AA sound then I guess it's worth it...
any Reaper optimisation tweak and tip you care to share ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemuso ➡️
Certainly. Obviously my settings are tailored to my specific Mac but here you go:

Sample rate 48k, block size 2048, manual input of all available CPU cores(incl. virtual ones) instead of auto-detect, highest thread priority, aggressive behaviour, media buffer size 1200ms, prebuffer 100%, render-ahead 1600ms.

Nothing on the master buss, and nothing on the monitoring buss either. I put all meters and speaker/headphone correction on busses and switch them off at render.

Bypassing plug-ins in Reaper doesn't work very well so for CPU-heavy plug-ins like AA it's better to offline them. This even goes for sends to tracks with bypassed plug-ins. The sends need to be deleted, not just muted. All of this is shown via the RT CPU, the overloading of which causes the dreaded Reaper stuttering, even if FX CPU, Total CPU and the CPU readings on your computer look fine. It's equivalent to leaving your TV on stand-by versus switching it off and unplugging the mains lead.

To keep down: latency(PDC) which obviously increases with block size so it's a trade-off. And track count—even though this contradicts the common advice of splitting everything into busses as much as possible.

Only one AA plug-in per track, unless it's two preamps only or a Nebula compressor+preamp. Switching off modules inside of any AL versions makes no difference for me. Neither does hosting inside Patchwork or Acquas inside Nebula. Freezing has worked well, but some people on this thread have had problems with doing that in Reaper with certain versions.

I believe this is all you can tweak on the Mac. On Windows there are apparently tons more audio settings which I know nothing about. Happy testing!
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemuso ➡️
broadly, Reaper’s cpu efficiency is down to the render ahead. Without that there’s not so much difference vs other daws (pro tools aside). Render ahead does not work on the master track or the monitor bus, so both of those are plain single-core operations hence 100 tracks with one lightweight acqua vs one master track with just a handful of heavy hitters.

Like others have said, make a mix bus and put your stereo bus fx there, not on the master track - that way they will be pre-rendered.

also, if you’re using acqua pre or taupe, choose them and freeze up to those plugins. Think as if it’s hardware - once it’s been printed to real tape you’d never during a mix think ‘what I need to do is use a different multitrack’ - that way madness lies…

Last edited by damianlegassick; 5 days ago at 12:07 PM.. Reason: add
Old 5 days ago
Acustica Audio

Post Sample rate conversion on Acqua Effects

About the test related to online sample rate conversion on Acqua Effect products:

Sampling rate conversion test:

.Snow EQ VST2 Release A021 REAPER 5.99 x64 and PluginDoctor 1.6.0 Windows 10 20H2
.Snow EQ VST2 Release A014 REAPER 5.99 x64 and PluginDoctor 1.6.0 Windows 10 20H2

While PluginDoctor makes correctly the online sampling rate conversion from 44.1 to 48, 88.2 and 96 kHz and from 96 to 88.2, 48, and 44.1 kHz. REAPER needs a "save (as)" in the new session sample rate and session reload.
However REAPER a few times was able to achieve the online sampling rate conversion without the need to save the session and reload the session in the new sample rate.

This feature (the online sampling rate conversion), will not work on N4 due is not supported.

When the audio host changes the sample rate and the Acqua Effect needs to recall new vectors in a specific load sequence, each audio host has a different method for reporting the sampling frequency, so Acqua Effect products may behave differently depending on the audio host and version. With different behavior, you can also understand possible misbehavior.

Our advice is to start and end our audio sessions at the same sample rate, and in case it is necessary to change the sample rate it is mandatory to save the session with a new name and close the old session, however, we cannot ensure that the products will be loaded at the correct sample rate in the new session, since as explained above, it will largely depend on how the new sample rate is transmitted from the host audio to the plug-ins.

Any other specific problem can be reported via ticket with the necessary information to be able to replicate it. Thank you.
Gear Head

Any news on the issue with the EQ freuqencies that involves neither sample rate changes nor plugin doctor? Unfortunately your advice doesn't apply there.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM ➡️
About the test related to online sample rate conversion on Acqua Effect products:

.Snow EQ VST2 Release A021 REAPER 5.99 x64 and PluginDoctor 1.6.0 Windows 10 20H2
.Snow EQ VST2 Release A014 REAPER 5.99 x64 and PluginDoctor 1.6.0 Windows 10 20H2

While PluginDoctor makes correctly the online sampling rate conversion from 44.1 to 48, 88.2 and 96 kHz and from 96 to 88.2, 48, and 44.1 kHz. REAPER needs a "save (as)" in the new session sample rate and session reload.
However REAPER a few times was able to achieve the online sampling rate conversion without the need to save the session and reload the session in the new sample rate.

This feature (the online sampling rate conversion), will not work on N4 due is not supported.

When the audio host changes the sample rate and the Acqua Effect needs to recall new vectors in a specific load sequence, each audio host has a different method for reporting the sampling frequency, so Acqua Effect products may behave differently depending on the audio host and version. With different behavior, you can also understand possible misbehavior.

Our advice is to start and end our audio sessions at the same sample rate, and in case it is necessary to change the sample rate it is mandatory to save the session with a new name and close the old session, however, we cannot ensure that the products will be loaded at the correct sample rate in the new session, since as explained above, it will largely depend on how the new sample rate is transmitted from the host audio to the plug-ins.

Any other specific problem can be reported via ticket with the necessary information to be able to replicate it. Thank you.
@ AcusticaCM I find the response odd, but I will open the tickets with the evidence. All of my testing has been done with the sample rate fixed at 96K. No funny shifts, no trickery, no plug-in doctor. Open project, add Acqua, save project, close project, re-open project, and failure to recall.

Snow, Sienna, and Cerise were reported here as being unaffected, but older products such as Cream, Coffee, Ceil, and Celestial do not load properly on recall. Testing was performed in Reaper and Harrison Mixbus 32C.

Matt
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMSweet ➡️
@ AcusticaCM I find the response odd, but I will open the tickets with the evidence. All of my testing has been done with the sample rate fixed at 96K. No funny shifts, no trickery, no plug-in doctor. Open project, add Acqua, save project, close project, re-open project, and failure to recall.

Snow, Sienna, and Cerise were reported here as being unaffected, but older products such as Cream, Coffee, Ceil, and Celestial do not load properly on recall. Testing was performed in Reaper and Harrison Mixbus 32C.

Matt
Please do so, I created a ticket 4 days ago. The more the better. You can count Cerise in btw.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
@ synesthetic Cerise recalls just fine for me in both Reaper and Harrison Mixbus32C. I just tested it again to make sure.

@ AcusticaCM - Ticket 22286 has been opened detailing all of the things I share last week. I don't have an easy way to capture video of me opening and closing Reaper, but I trust support will believe my screen shots. I'm also surprised that Acustica hasn't maintained versions in Reaper. V6 has been out for some time now.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I'm trying to completely grasp how this will translate to how people will be able to reliably work in REAPER at 96kHz using Acustica plugins.

My interpretation is that the user always needs to open a project (that was closed as 96kHz and opened as 96kHz by the way - no switching involved) and do a new 'save as' to get the project to reload so that AA plugins won't recall settings in the wrong spots.

Do I have that right?

"However REAPER a few times was able to achieve the online sampling rate conversion without the need to save the session and reload the session in the new sample rate."

Are you suggesting that sometimes it is necessary to do a 'save as' to fix the problem, but sometimes it is not?

"Our advice is to start and end our audio sessions at the same sample rate, and in case it is necessary to change the sample rate it is mandatory to save the session with a new name and close the old session, however, we cannot ensure that the products will be loaded at the correct sample rate in the new session"

...and to clarify here, you are saying that even though your advice is to 'save as' to get the session to reload, you can't assert that this will trigger the AA plugin to recall the correct state?
Acustica Audio

Quote:

Matt
Yes, please do report via ticket. You can add the info and steps to replicate for just one of the products and name the ones you are having issues with additionally.
Acustica Audio

Quote:
@ synesthetic Cerise recalls just fine for me in both Reaper and Harrison Mixbus32C. I just tested it again to make sure.

@ AcusticaCM - Ticket 22286 has been opened detailing all of the things I share last week. I don't have an easy way to capture video of me opening and closing Reaper, but I trust support will believe my screen shots. I'm also surprised that Acustica hasn't maintained versions in Reaper. V6 has been out for some time now.
I can see your ticket correctly, GM. Providing the release version helps a lot. Thank you.
Gear Head

OK, Cerise fails in Bitwig, I tested only Ivory in Reaper.
"Bandicam" should do the job and is a free ccapturing tool.
Acustica Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy ➡️
I'm trying to completely grasp how this will translate to how people will be able to reliably work in REAPER at 96kHz using Acustica plugins.

My interpretation is that the user always needs to open a project (that was closed as 96kHz and opened as 96kHz by the way - no switching involved) and do a new 'save as' to get the project to reload so that AA plugins won't recall settings in the wrong spots.

Do I have that right?

"However REAPER a few times was able to achieve the online sampling rate conversion without the need to save the session and reload the session in the new sample rate."

Are you suggesting that sometimes it is necessary to do a 'save as' to fix the problem, but sometimes it is not?

"Our advice is to start and end our audio sessions at the same sample rate, and in case it is necessary to change the sample rate it is mandatory to save the session with a new name and close the old session, however, we cannot ensure that the products will be loaded at the correct sample rate in the new session"

...and to clarify here, you are saying that even though your advice is to 'save as' to get the session to reload, you can't assert that this will trigger the AA plugin to recall the correct state?
@ kindafishy "I'm trying to completely grasp how this will translate to how people will be able to reliably work in REAPER at 96kHz using Acustica plugins."

Deactivating the plugin(s) and activating it again worked for me, on every case as well.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

@ AcusticaCM Please fix Gold4 LP filter bug

When placing Gold4 Channel Strip VST3 or EQ in a 24-bit 4400Hz stereo audio track, when selecting option 8122 from the channel strip, the LP filter stops working. The problem happens with Gold 4 - Q003 and Q002 VST3. works with Q001.

I talked to the suport and they confirmed the bug but I'm still waiting ....
Thank you
J.Feitor

Last edited by AVTStudio; 5 days ago at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Better info
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis ➡️
Ok quick question it is LP filter that is affected? I don’t use AA for that so curious.

Hey Viva Italia with Ik Hornet and SKNote! Not to mention Farfisa and this great whacked out guitars in the 60’s lol!...
The LP filter does not work on the channel strip and EQ with Gold4 VST3

When placing Gold4 Channel Strip VST3 in a 24-bit 4400Hz stereo audio track, when selecting option 8122 from the channel strip, the LP filter stops working. The problem happens with Gold 4 - Q003 and Q002 VST3. works with Q001.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Our advice is to start and end our audio sessions at the same sample rate, and in case it is necessary to change the sample rate it is mandatory to save the session with a new name and close the old session.
fair enough, but any info re the far more serious problem of acquas not loading the correct sample rate files in anything other than a 44.1 session, with no user-changed SR?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
@ kindafishy "I'm trying to completely grasp how this will translate to how people will be able to reliably work in REAPER at 96kHz using Acustica plugins."

Deactivating the plugin(s) and activating it again worked for me, on every case as well.
Ok thanks, that will work as a pretty easy temporary workaround. Luckily, REAPER has the project bay that should make it easy to unload and reload all AA plugins. Also luckily, REAPER can open project notes each time it opens to remind a user to do this.

Appreciate the quick workaround to the problem.

When is the fix scheduled? Can we expect it to be a matter of days?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus ➡️
I didnt see this explicitly stated in your post so I’d like clarification: Is AA going to fix these sample rate problem and when can we expect corrected versions?
I just asked the same thing. See 1 post up .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I didnt see this explicitly stated in your post so I’d like clarification: Is AA going to fix these sample rate problem and when can we expect corrected versions?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey
When you guys say "unload" and "reload" (to fix the recall) in reaper, you mean to put offline, then online the plugin, or bypass/ unbypass ? Load and reload are not terms associated with actions in the action list of reaper. Thx !
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlou ➡️
Hey
When you guys say "unload" and "reload" (to fix the recall) in reaper, you mean to put offline, then online the plugin, or bypass/ unbypass ? Load and reload are not terms associated with actions in the action list of reaper. Thx !
online offline for Reaper yes
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
You do not address the recall issue for keeping the same sample rate. I have to check every Acustica plugin in my sessions now.

‘Turn it off and back on again’ is an insane workaround to suggest. What are we talking about here? Professional music software?

What is the admission of the issue? What is the timeline for repair?

Please link me to a proper response if I have missed one, but so far, the response is woefully insufficient.
Lives for gear
Quote:

This deals with sample rate change while on an existing project. That was not the issue I described. I think it got mixed up in the posts here. All of my reported issues where of different nature,

The issue I describe is that when you put aqua offline(NOT BYPASS) it does not reload the plugin state correctly. There is a difference in REAPER between bypass and offline states. Another option is to close session and reopen it and you will see the issue when looking at actual curves. That session should be 96k from the get go.

Have your team been able to reproduce this? As I can assure that there is an issue and so can other users here. Please, let me know if some of my steps where not exactly clear in my original post.

Snow, Cerise, Camel, Sienna, Amethyst, Blond, Opal is fine and dont have this issue. I think all other aquas do not recall curves correctly - the gui shows correctly, but curves are not correct. (pink, magenta, gold, coffee, cream, navy, etc...)
Closed