The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion
Old 1st October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitum ➡️
New Acustica user here. Also, I am using AMD 5950x at the moment (not officially supported but working fine). Now that 7950x is out with AVX-512 support I am wondering if anyone could chime in regarding possible performance gains using AA plugins?
AA has said that their plugins are optimized for the avx-512 instruction set. I can't find the link, but here's few regarding AA and computer resource usage.

Zaphod AA leverages ram and cache, which eventually bottlenecks the CPU

Zaphod says fire runs better on M1, but aero is different

Acustica Audio AERO — Free Player + VOLs A & B — The Best Stompboxes and Amps for the perfect tone

Zaphod notes pluggin count of AA on M1 chip

Acustica Audio AERO — Free Player + VOLs A & B — The Best Stompboxes and Amps for the perfect tone

Zaphod describes how various Acustica plugs leverage computer resources

Old 1st October 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Mege just posted the link I was looking for in another thread.

Acustica states they're optimized for avx-512

Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue ➡️
AA has said that their plugins are optimized for the avx-512 instruction set. I can't find the link, but here's few regarding AA and computer resource usage.

Zaphod AA leverages ram and cache, which eventually bottlenecks the CPU

Zaphod says fire runs better on M1, but aero is different

Zaphod notes pluggin count of AA on M1 chip

Zaphod describes how various Acustica plugs leverage computer resources

Thank you so much @ Kyle P. Gushue

AVX-512 is mentioned in the Acustica Audio products resources load and performance info in the support section (not been updated since January 2021 though).

I will read through the later posts of this thread and check the specific ones you have mentioned.

I tried to do a quick CPU Test yesterday with a Reaper project I previously used for this purpose. Back then I checked which lug-in produced the highest individual CPU load (Ultramarine) and duplicated instances until Reaper strated glitching.

This was before the plugin itself was updated over this summer. With the updated version CPU efficiency went up considerably. However, before I could max out the plugin crashed Reaper as I was loading another instance. Earlier in this thread this is mentioned as a bug so I may have to change tack or just go with the maximum number plug-ins before the crash occurs.

I could probably come up with a more meaningful project derived from my mix template. But as somebody who's been on PT with DSP for 20+ years it's going to be a challenge to adapt to a routing/bussing system which takes into account how native systems process audio threads.

I would welcome tips from experts regarding bussing in Reaper to increase DSP efficiency/indicidual core load or alternatively take somebody else's benchmark project if there is one around.

My hunch is that AMD is not as suitable as Intel for AA plugins as @ Ranformer earlier in this thread mentioned running 250 instances of Pink on a i12900K. I also own Pink so could try and repeat that setup on my 5950x and then 7950x.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranformer ➡️
While you are 100% correct, especially on last sentence, usually people complain when they have expectations and care about something, in one or another way.

For example i would whine like a spoiled 5yo princess, right now, because i would like to see emulations inspired by Pendulum Audio and "i wouldn't trust anyone but Acustica" for my channel.
Fair point lol. Pendulum Audio would be sweet. One of a few brands I haven’t really investigated or laid my ear on.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefcasemanx ➡️
I can think of another "automatic" "sound-gooderizer" unit that top engineers around the world use, and that most of the people complaining about Sounda probably actually clamor for, that's also similar to an EQ going into dynamics processing...

Hmmm what could it be...?
Assuming you mean The God Particle I haven't mixed into that one from the start which is what they recommend so my brief test of it doesn't count. My brief test of SOUNDA however on a project in progress was enough for me to decide to purchase it. Not saying one is better that the other by any means though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan ➡️
Assuming you mean The God Particle I haven't mixed into that one from the start which is what they recommend so my brief test of it doesn't count. My brief test of SOUNDA however on a project in progress was enough for me to decide to purchase it. Not saying one is better that the other by any means though.
Nope, the God Particle got plenty of detractors (many of whom again complained before actually using it). This is something analogue and doesn't have many detractors when it gets mentioned anywhere.
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu Fontaine ➡️
Fair point lol. Pendulum Audio would be sweet. One of a few brands I haven’t really investigated or laid my ear on.
I'm on board. Now that Pendulum is OOB, it's up to AA to save that great hardware for future generations. OCL-2, ES-8 and 6386 compressors with the new Hyper tech? WOW. And the Quartet and Quartet II channel strips would be right up AA's alley!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitum ➡️
Thank you so much @ Kyle P. Gushue

AVX-512 is mentioned in the Acustica Audio products resources load and performance info in the support section (not been updated since January 2021 though).

I will read through the later posts of this thread and check the specific ones you have mentioned.

I tried to do a quick CPU Test yesterday with a Reaper project I previously used for this purpose. Back then I checked which lug-in produced the highest individual CPU load (Ultramarine) and duplicated instances until Reaper strated glitching.

This was before the plugin itself was updated over this summer. With the updated version CPU efficiency went up considerably. However, before I could max out the plugin crashed Reaper as I was loading another instance. Earlier in this thread this is mentioned as a bug so I may have to change tack or just go with the maximum number plug-ins before the crash occurs.

I could probably come up with a more meaningful project derived from my mix template. But as somebody who's been on PT with DSP for 20+ years it's going to be a challenge to adapt to a routing/bussing system which takes into account how native systems process audio threads.

I would welcome tips from experts regarding bussing in Reaper to increase DSP efficiency/indicidual core load or alternatively take somebody else's benchmark project if there is one around.

My hunch is that AMD is not as suitable as Intel for AA plugins as @ Ranformer earlier in this thread mentioned running 250 instances of Pink on a i12900K. I also own Pink so could try and repeat that setup on my 5950x and then 7950x.
I've seen a few people experience the reaper crash before peaking on AA. It's not clear if it's a reaper or AA thing. Inlean towards AA as reaper is generally reliable.

Norbury Brook Acustica test 5950x vs 12900k

AA test on thread ripper

As far as bussing goes I'm not sure of too many tricks. I've opted to try a multi PC setup to handle busses, vsti, and master bus. This in an attempt to keep the main PC at low buffers without much concern.

Freezing Tracks is an option, and using plugin hosts like meta plugin and vep have allowed users better counts, since it lets things run multithreaded if I understand correctly.

Congrats on the 7950, looking forward to hearing how it works in the real world!
Gear Nut

Are you guys going to be adding the x16 oversampling to the Gainstation2 flagship soon? I don't understand why you'd add this function to the smaller Gainstation 'Boost' plugin but not the main flagship Gainstation2 itself...
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott W ➡️
Are you guys going to be adding the x16 oversampling to the Gainstation2 flagship soon? I don't understand why you'd add this function to the smaller Gainstation 'Boost' plugin but not the main flagship Gainstation2 itself...
I always assumed it's cause they added the two new preamp modules instead.. this way they have a selling point when gainstation 3 comes out
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What day do new weekly deals come out? Sunday or Monday?
Acustica Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefcasemanx ➡️
What day do new weekly deals come out? Sunday or Monday?
Tomorrow Monday, and two highly requested ones! Stay tuned.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigvanlee ➡️
I always assumed it's cause they added the two new preamp modules instead.. this way they have a selling point when gainstation 3 comes out
So we've got to wait nearly 3 years to get less aliasing in a distortion effect that will make it sound much better because of an upcoming marketing scheme?
Old 3rd October 2022
Acustica Audio

Arrow Update available in Aquarius

GREEN 4 - rel C011
New Engine Optimization, M1 AU validation fixed.

Core 18 improves performance and dramatically reduces CPU consumption of the plugins.

ℹ️ This update is free for current owners and is available in the Aquarius Updates section.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So we've got to wait nearly 3 years to get less aliasing in a distortion effect that will make it sound much better because of an upcoming marketing scheme?
The person you're quoting is making a complete guess. Where did you come up with 3 years from?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Oversampling would be great. For Gainstation2 but especially for Crimson.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
sorry i didn't mean for this to be taken as fact..

I got this impression from a previous response from Zaphod on this exact complaint in the gainstation2 release post..though I don't remember exact words..so I may be wrong and I don't want to stir up any bad feelings..
Old 3rd October 2022
Acustica Audio

Oc-tube-r deals!

Tube-laden Deals!
Azure is a plug-in beast that delivers the sound of a custom-made vacuum tube passive mastering EQ.
Only €69 🔥
https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/azure

Cobalt is a plug-in suite that includes an equalizer, a compressor, a preamp section, and a dynamic equalizer based on a series of hand-built vacuum tube processors characterized by a warm, expensive and unique sound.
Only €59 🔥
https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/cobalt

* Promo ends on October 9, 2022, at 11:59 PM (CET).
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloansimpson ➡️
The person you're quoting is making a complete guess. Where did you come up with 3 years from?
By knowing that Gainstation has been out already for 2 years and then using my imagination as to when an actual Gainstation 3 would finally be released with x16 I logically arrived at the conclusion of "nearly 3 years" since beta in the wild hopes that it would come out between now and next summer which would make it - nearly 3 years.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloansimpson ➡️
Not a fan of facts and logic huh?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM ➡️
GREEN 4 - rel C011 New Engine Optimization, M1 AU validation fixed.

Core 18 improves performance and dramatically reduces CPU consumption of the plugins.

ℹ️ This update is free for current owners and is available in the Aquarius Updates section.
Hmm, thank you very much for the update, but C011 is dated 17 Aug 2022.
Acustica Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrel ➡️
The date reflects the internal update date, but it is released today. It is the correct release, and the improvement is real!
Gear Nut
Hey guys, hoping for some input.

I’m looking to upgrade the pc I use as a server running a combo of audiogridder/blue cat connect/VEP 7. My DAW is on a Mac, but I like using a PC as the server so I can get the best of both worlds. But, I don’t have a ton of experience with PCs. I also like the idea of a mini. Right now I have an old i3 nuc with 2tb of storage and maxed out ram. It’s fine most of the time but gets bogged down using a lot of Acustica stuff obviously.

Im looking at 2 barebones (using my current 2tb ssd and Ram from the i3) options right now, 1 intel and I ryzen:
1) the intel is a i9-12000hk 14 cores/20 T with a new efficient fan for $999
2) the ryzen is a 5900hx 8 core/16 T with liquid cooling for $480.

So I know from reading here that typically the i9 is better for acustica, but is it worth the 2x price increase? Both are relatively affordable for what they offer, but will the ryzen be enough? Or, will I regret not getting the i9?

Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2022
Acustica Audio

Update available in Aquarius

LAVA - rel A011
LAVA (trial) - rel A011

New FROM mics added:
  • Neumann - TLM 102
  • Neumann - TLM 127
  • Neumann - TLM 49
  • ADK Microphones - Thor
  • DPA - d facto
  • DPA - DAD 4099
  • DPA - 4015
  • Slate Digital - ML2 Dynamic
  • Mics updated (better frequency response): Neumann TLM 103, Slate Digital ML1, Slate Digital ML1 Vintage Edition, Slate Digital ML2.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
LAVA - rel A011
LAVA (trial) - rel A011

New FROM mics added:
  • Neumann - TLM 102
  • Neumann - TLM 127
  • Neumann - TLM 49
  • ADK Microphones - Thor
  • DPA - d facto
  • DPA - DAD 4099
  • DPA - 4015
  • Slate Digital - ML2 Dynamic
  • Mics updated (better frequency response): Neumann TLM 103, Slate Digital ML1, Slate Digital ML1 Vintage Edition, Slate Digital ML2.
Waiting for EV RE20 "from" before purchasing
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrel ➡️
products could be in betatesting for a long time
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Tube-laden Deals!
Azure is a plug-in beast that delivers the sound of a custom-made vacuum tube passive mastering EQ.
Only €69 🔥
https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/azure

YASSSSSSS!

Thank you AA.
Old 4th October 2022
tcc
Gear Nut

Any big fans of Cobalt out there? What makes it great? Has it been upgraded to the latest core/engine? Thanks.
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaddies ➡️
Hey guys, hoping for some input.

I’m looking to upgrade the pc I use as a server running a combo of audiogridder/blue cat connect/VEP 7. My DAW is on a Mac, but I like using a PC as the server so I can get the best of both worlds. But, I don’t have a ton of experience with PCs. I also like the idea of a mini. Right now I have an old i3 nuc with 2tb of storage and maxed out ram. It’s fine most of the time but gets bogged down using a lot of Acustica stuff obviously.

Im looking at 2 barebones (using my current 2tb ssd and Ram from the i3) options right now, 1 intel and I ryzen:
1) the intel is a i9-12000hk 14 cores/20 T with a new efficient fan for $999
2) the ryzen is a 5900hx 8 core/16 T with liquid cooling for $480.

So I know from reading here that typically the i9 is better for acustica, but is it worth the 2x price increase? Both are relatively affordable for what they offer, but will the ryzen be enough? Or, will I regret not getting the i9?

Thanks!
I don't think either is ideal. With benchmarks showing the 12900 between 30-40% better, thats likely the Better option. Though 2 of the 5900hx machines should put perform single 12900hk at the same price.

In the 1k range you should be able to get a basic desktop with a 12900k. You could put it in a small case. Especially with new stuff launching 12th gen stuff should be nearing closeout pricing.

Considering the 12900 is 4-450$ chip 1k feels like alot of cash for a 12gen barebones with a Mobile chip. I've looked into barebones stuff myself and they are never that good of a deal.

A simple msi pro and 12900k will set you back around 650-700 and be better than both barebones. add a montevh airflow case with it's 6 fans for $65, and you've smoked the bare bones system for performance and outright cost. If you buy at black Friday those prices should be even lower.

Quote:
GREEN 4 - rel C011
New Engine Optimization, M1 AU validation fixed.

Thanks!
📝 Reply