The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here
Old 18th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➡️
The DAW is probably still running. Check Task Manager and kill the DAW if you see it there.

Pete
Thansk Pete. Eventually I figured out the problem, it was Chrome, not my DAW, that was hogging the device. Closing Chrome fixed the problem.

If there was an app that could tell me which application is using which device, I'd definitely use it because in Windows all I get is the "device in use" warning but no information about what is using the device, so I have to close one app at a time till it works. Alternatively, the promised (but not yet delivered) multi-client generic MIDI driver would be an even better solution.
Old 19th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox ➡️
Thansk Pete. Eventually I figured out the problem, it was Chrome, not my DAW, that was hogging the device. Closing Chrome fixed the problem.

If there was an app that could tell me which application is using which device, I'd definitely use it because in Windows all I get is the "device in use" warning but no information about what is using the device, so I have to close one app at a time till it works. Alternatively, the promised (but not yet delivered) multi-client generic MIDI driver would be an even better solution.
maybe look into getting a midi interface with multi client drivers? iConnectivity has them as well as a couple of others (e.g. RME).
I have everything hooked up to 2 mio10 (16 DIN midi and lots of USB), and have no trouble opening up Ableton, librarians, (web) editors
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser ➡️
maybe look into getting a midi interface with multi client drivers? iConnectivity has them as well as a couple of others (e.g. RME).
I have everything hooked up to 2 mio10 (16 DIN midi and lots of USB), and have no trouble opening up Ableton, librarians, (web) editors
I think we may be talking about different thing here. I was referring to MIDI, not ASIO audio. Maybe RME MIDI drivers are multi-client, but I'm connecting my MIDI client over USB-MIDI and using the generic Microsoft USB-MIDI driver, which isn't multi-client. IIRC Pete said a new multi-client driver was in the works but it seems they have given up on the idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I think we may be talking about different thing here. I was referring to MIDI, not ASIO audio. Maybe RME MIDI drivers are multi-client, but I'm connecting my MIDI client over USB-MIDI and using the generic Microsoft USB-MIDI driver, which isn't multi-client. IIRC Pete said a new multi-client driver was in the works but it seems they have given up on the idea.
Nope, I was in fact talking about midi.
But if you wanna do multi client usb-midi, then you need iconnectivity.
Basically you connect to their inbuilt USB hub (mioxl) and with that comes the multi client capability. Only works with class compliant devices though.
I have 7 USB devices connected like that.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser ➡️
Nope, I was in fact talking about midi.
But if you wanna do multi client usb-midi, then you need iconnectivity.
Basically you connect to their inbuilt USB hub (mioxl) and with that comes the multi client capability. Only works with class compliant devices though.
I have 7 USB devices connected like that.
OK I see now. However, that solution is overkill to connect a couple of MIDI controllers. Multi-client should be handled by the OS (ideally). There are free third-party apps that can do this, but it's extra work. If third-party software can do it, it should be possible for Windows to do it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
OK I see now. However, that solution is overkill to connect a couple of MIDI controllers. Multi-client should be handled by the OS (ideally). There are free third-party apps that can do this, but it's extra work. If third-party software can do it, it should be possible for Windows to do it.
While I basically agree that the os should handle the multi client capability, there is currently not a third party app that can do that on the driver level, what is out there is loopback devices or virtual midi cables that are themselves multi-client capable and that you can use to circumvent the current limitations and those introduce indeed some consideration hurdles.
But as I don't have time to wait for the capability to come around within Windows itself I personally chose the next best solution and got a device that does what I want 😉
Old 20th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's amazing what you can get done when everyone else is on vacation :D

Part 3 of the tweak guide is finally up:
https://aka.ms/Win10AudioTweakGuidePart3

Pete
Old 20th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

Pete
Great thanks Pete!
Old 23rd December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Pete
Thanks Pete, looking forward to checking this out over the holiday break ! Would it be a safe assumption that most of these guidelines could also be applied to a computer assembled for video editing purposes specifically....with the main difference being to ensure that the GPU is directly shouldering a lot of the video processing load, rather than relying on the CPU to cope with this alone ?
Old 23rd December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Thanks Pete, looking forward to checking this out over the holiday break ! Would it be a safe assumption that most of these guidelines could also be applied to a computer assembled for video editing purposes specifically....with the main difference being to ensure that the GPU is directly shouldering a lot of the video processing load, rather than relying on the CPU to cope with this alone ?
Yes. Like you said, just ignore the bit about gaming PCs and video-related stuff. That's often at odds with audio, but not with video production.

Pete
Old 28th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You might find this Zoom guide to PC optimisation for Win 10 interesting…..processor scheduling anyone ?

“How to optimize Windows 10 PC settings when using a USB audio interface with DAW.” It’s dated May 2021

https://zoomcorp.com/media/documents...indows10_E.pdf
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just reading the previous post- is there anyway for Windows 11 to only bring up the legacy menu.
Its pretty counterproductive and move RSI movements to get done what I am used to ie move to, copy to, rar, unrar, rename, refresh and so on.
Or is there a way to get some of the legacy options show on the new menu - which I am getting used to for cut, copy, paste, delete (which I do like).
Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
You might find this Zoom guide to PC optimisation for Win 10 interesting…..processor scheduling anyone ?

“How to optimize Windows 10 PC settings when using a USB audio interface with DAW.” It’s dated May 2021

https://zoomcorp.com/media/documents...indows10_E.pdf
That kind of document is exactly why I created my own guide. Advising to set performance options to Background Services shows a lack of understanding of what that actually does and how most ASIO drivers work.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx ➡️
Just reading the previous post- is there anyway for Windows 11 to only bring up the legacy menu.
Its pretty counterproductive and move RSI movements to get done what I am used to ie move to, copy to, rar, unrar, rename, refresh and so on.
Or is there a way to get some of the legacy options show on the new menu - which I am getting used to for cut, copy, paste, delete (which I do like).
Thanks
In case you didn't realize, the cut/copy/paste/rename/share/delete options are now a single row of icons at the top of the context menu. Intent is to require *less* mouse movement to access them.

The others (rar/unrar/etc.) will eventually be in the main menu. We're trying to get developers to use the updated APIs. The old menu was a hot mess without any real organization. New APIs help developers make better decisions about this. Access to the old menu is a transitional thing.

Pete
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Totally agree the c, x, p, etc upate is great.
Thing is in the mean time when I use copy to and move to, refresh view. Unzip, drop link etc as mentioned on a regular basis so was hoping for a workaround until solved. On win 10 had a bunch removed which doesnt appear to be as easy with the new 2 tier menu.

The other point is when browsing folders during the open save as options the legacy seems to appear by default. Its all rather odd and time consuming to do regular file handling tasks as is in win11 atm.

Just have to suck it up and wait by the sounds of things

Thanks as always for the info Pete.

Quote:
In case you didn't realize, the cut/copy/paste/rename/share/delete options are now a single row of icons at the top of the context menu. Intent is to require *less* mouse movement to access them.

The others (rar/unrar/etc.) will eventually be in the main menu. We're trying to get developers to use the updated APIs. The old menu was a hot mess without any real organization. New APIs help developers make better decisions about this. Access to the old menu is a transitional thing.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx ➡️
Totally agree the c, x, p, etc upate is great.
Thing is in the mean time when I use copy to and move to, refresh view. Unzip, drop link etc as mentioned on a regular basis so was hoping for a workaround until solved. On win 10 had a bunch removed which doesnt appear to be as easy with the new 2 tier menu.

The other point is when browsing folders during the open save as options the legacy seems to appear by default. Its all rather odd and time consuming to do regular file handling tasks as is in win11 atm.

Just have to suck it up and wait by the sounds of things ������

Thanks as always for the info Pete.
Got it. This is unsupported, and I have no idea how long this will work (or if it even works at the moment), and I encourage people not to do it unless it's a hardship, but here's how to revert back to the old menu:

https://www.howtogeek.com/759449/how...file-explorer/

BTW, the missing "refresh" is my biggest bit of feedback to that team. They rightfully think it shouldn't be required. But reality gets in the way of that. I find myself needing refresh constantly. Maybe they'll be able to solve that problem rather than put Refresh back in.

Also agree that the context menu in the system file dialogs is weird. It's on their radar. I notice it every time I see one of those dialogs.

Pete
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ Psychlist1972 Thanks for the link, ill check it out once Ive completed the monthly backup.

I would like Microsoft to have the courage to simpy have the whole menu as tiles. Not sure why part and part especially if you could right click the tiles for additional command options. Thanks again, feel I can move on 😁
Old 8th January 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
@ Psychlist1972

Hey Pete, anything in the guide that is a no-no for windows 11 user's?
Old 8th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue ➡️
@ Psychlist1972

Hey Pete, anything in the guide that is a no-no for windows 11 user's?
Not that I recall. Although some things have had slight changes under the hood (like how Windows works with big/little processors and schedules them), the advice is all still valid.

Pete
Old 9th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Not that I recall. Although some things have had slight changes under the hood (like how Windows works with big/little processors and schedules them), the advice is all still valid.

Pete
Thanks will be using the guide on several fresh installs coming up. Your work is appreciated.
Old 2nd February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is there an official "Windows 11 rolling out" Thread? or is everybody just posting here now?
Old 2nd February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman ➡️
Is there an official "Windows 11 rolling out" Thread? or is everybody just posting here now?
Here's one that seems to have gathered the greatest momentum. Meanwhile, Windows 10 is still rolling out.
Old 3rd February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ignore my post. I see you have it working. Great.
Windows 11 is working fine on my new computer . Is there a risk putting windows 11 on a 2016 I7 desktop?
Old 4th February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
shouldn't this thread by locked and archived?

M
Old 4th February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2005 ➡️
Windows 11 is working fine on my new computer . Is there a risk putting windows 11 on a 2016 I7 desktop?
I recommend asking in the Windows 11 thread.

But yes, there's always risk if the processor is unsupported. Whether or not your processor is unsupported can be found here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...r-requirements

Pete
Old 5th February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman ➡️
Nope. Jules has deprecated Windows just as he did Gear"slutz". With plausible deniability, of course. My guess is he's tired and doesn't want to fight anymore. People become more cautious close to retirement. I know. Take the money and escape. Don't rock the boat when there's no recovery time left.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️
shouldn't this thread by locked and archived?

M
Windows 10 has many more yeasrs of life left in it.

Plenty of folks outy there still using perfectly good older gen CPU's which 11 won't install on, plus the Professional/Business versions of Windows 11 (Enterprise and Pro for Workstations) haven't really hit the marketplace yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit ➡️
Windows 10 has many more yeasrs of life left in it.

Plenty of folks outy there still using perfectly good older gen CPU's which 11 won't install on, plus the Professional/Business versions of Windows 11 (Enterprise and Pro for Workstations) haven't really hit the marketplace yet.
I Know, it was a little tongue in cheek perhaps I was referring to the title 'windows 10 is rolling out'

M
Old 7th February 2022
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'll post this here for my fellow DPC lantecy optimization fans in the chat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0BN608Sd3Q

The quality of the video is quite subpar but the results here are indeed quite spectatular on my desktop. I had never heard of this trick before.
Let us know if it helps!
Old 14th February 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Re: Windows 10 apps are rearranged to primary monitor after sleep [issue]

It was supposed to be fixed already. Actually, I noticed it was working after an updat a few months ago, but it seems to be back to the old behavior again. (Can't remember that windows are on my second monitor).

I guess back to using a freeware app to do the job Microsoft can't. (MonitorKeeper)

Lets face it, Win10 isn't going to get many more fixes in it's life (other than security)
📝 Reply