The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Today an unwanted and not-asked-for widget showed up on my computer (screenshot attached). I was able to delete the weather portion, but I cannot find a way to get rid of the entire thing/widget. Anyone have any suggestions how to do so, please?

The screenshot is just a partial, the bottom right of the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here-unwanted-widget.png  
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre ➡️
Today an unwanted and not-asked-for widget showed up on my computer (screenshot attached). I was able to delete the weather portion, but I cannot find a way to get rid of the entire thing/widget. Anyone have any suggestions how to do so, please?

The screenshot is just a partial, the bottom right of the screen.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enabl...sts-on-taskbar

Pete
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Pete, that did it. I appreciate you, good sir.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➡️
Hard to tell from the pic, but looks like maybe you are looking at the desktop switcher? You can switch between desktops with Windows+Ctrl+Right/Left Arrow

You can get rid of any additional desktops by hovering over them in the switcher at the top, and hitting the X to close that desktop.

You can disable the shortcut keys in regedit
https://winaero.com/disable-certain-...in-windows-10/

You can also remap keys using PowerToys.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/
`````

If I misunderstood what is happening, LMK.

Pete
Been through this already while searching for answers. Doesn't fix, help or make any difference, What was the last version of Windows 10 that didn't have this crap.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert ➡️
Been through this already while searching for answers. Doesn't fix, help or make any difference, What was the last version of Windows 10 that didn't have this crap.
I believe Virtual Desktops were added in 2017.

What exactly is happening? Is it a touch pad gesture triggering it? Touch screen? Something else?

At least one of those posts above should have helped you, but it would be helpful to know the exact nature of the problem.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I believe Virtual Desktops were added in 2017.

What exactly is happening? Is it a touch pad gesture triggering it? Touch screen? Something else?

At least one of those posts above should have helped you, but it would be helpful to know the exact nature of the problem.

Pete
It's a new laptop, an ASUS Zenbook model UX535LI, my old ROG G60jx finally died, wich insidentally had the same version of
Windows 10 as my new one but didn't haave all this crap going on, multidesk and all the other stuff I was able to kill I think
it lasted about 12 years.

Anyways it sits on a stand a little too far away so I don't use the touchscreen much at all and don't think it's ever wiigged out
into multidesk while using it.

I use the touchpad mostly which is actually a screenpad, Intel drives the screenpad Nvidia drives the main screen. I usually
disable the screenpad using it only as a touchpad and disable most of the gestures in settings/devices/touchpad.

I don't do hardly any long multi keyying so I know it's not that, I disabled that button on the taskbar a while ago plus the box with the x in it when it goes to the mutidesk mode or whatever.

You may ask yourself why I don't use the touch screen and the screenpad, well this was the only one I could find with
Thunderbolt at a lower price.

One other thing is MS has the worst drivers for touchpads, so I loaded all the drivers from ASUS but the Human interface tab in
device manager is loaded with only MS drivers which I think is where most of the problem is. The
ASUS_Touchpad_Precision TouchPad_DCH wouldn't load normaly using Powershell so I udated the driver using the have disk
option and pointed to the .inf file in the X64 folder within the driver folder. It loaded restarted but the touch pad wouldn't work
so i had to rollback. I'm thinking there's a conflict with all the other MS garbadge in the human interface tab. I tried setting up
powershell to load the driver then uninstalled the MS driver and installed from powershell but no dice.
it came back up with the MS driver.

Last edited by throbert; 3 days ago at 07:34 PM..
Old 3 days ago
TJe
Gear Addict

I have finally updated my pc from w10 v1903 to v2004 and I am amazed how my DAW works much,much better now.It can handle a lot more plugins without cpu spikes.This is like my cpu has double number of cores.
Does the v20H2 works well for DAW work?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Now,
Quote:
Something else
I've been wondering about is what determines when my Ethernet mix controller is recognized by the OS/Avid driver.

If I cold-start or reboot my computer the controller is automatically recognized by the OS/Avid driver within a minute or so. But if I had the device unconnected or turned off when booting (or waking) then it isn't recognized immediately when connecting it and turning it on. It can take a pretty long time for it to show up and it's faster just to reboot.

You wouldn't happen to know if this is determined by the OS, driver or Ethernet address-delivering device?

Or does anyone else know?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
One other thing is MS has the worst drivers for touchpads, so I loaded all the drivers from ASUS but the Human interface tab in device manager is loaded with only MS drivers which I think is where most of the problem is. The
ASUS_Touchpad_Precision TouchPad_DCH wouldn't load normaly using Powershell so I udated the driver using the have disk
option and pointed to the .inf file in the X64 folder within the driver folder. It loaded restarted but the touch pad wouldn't work
so i had to rollback. I'm thinking there's a conflict with all the other MS garbadge in the human interface tab. I tried setting up
powershell to load the driver then uninstalled the MS driver and installed from powershell but no dice.
it came back up with the MS driver.
The only ones we make are the generic ones that work with the lowest common denominator of devices like the "HID-compliant mouse" driver. That is there to get you up and running, and also because some folks don't like the device-specific configuration apps (calling them "bloatware"). All the rest of the drivers, including ones on Windows update, come from the manufacturers of the devices.

The base HID drivers are almost always Microsoft. In most cases, that's not where you want to look. Check under "Mice and other pointing devices" to see if the OEM driver has been installed.

I assume you reimaged this, because these laptops all ship with the OEM drivers pre-installed and configured. Some manufacturers make it a pain to get to the factory install config without actually using their base image.

I don't have experience with these touch devices, but you said it gets driven by the on-board graphics. So, if it works more as a touch screen and shows up as an actual screen, there will be video and touch drivers installed. If it really just shows up as a touchpad, then it'll be under "mice and other pointing devices". The reason this can be important is because there is a swipe gesture for the touchscreen which brings up that task switch window, and those gestures are not always the same as the touchpad gestures.

JFYI: There's a BIOS update for that laptop from this month. Asus doesn't publish release/change notes, though, so not sure if any of those updates change anything with the screenpad.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
Now,

I've been wondering about is what determines when my Ethernet mix controller is recognized by the OS/Avid driver.

If I cold-start or reboot my computer the controller is automatically recognized by the OS/Avid driver within a minute or so. But if I had the device unconnected or turned off when booting (or waking) then it isn't recognized immediately when connecting it and turning it on. It can take a pretty long time for it to show up and it's faster just to reboot.

You wouldn't happen to know if this is determined by the OS, driver or Ethernet address-delivering device?

Or does anyone else know?
Is it directly connected to the PC? If so, plug it into a switch/router and see if that fixes it for you. I recall hearing about this issue on OSX some time back with eucontrol.

Direct connections are always a little sus.

Pete
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Is it directly connected to the PC? If so, plug it into a switch/router and see if that fixes it for you. I recall hearing about this issue on OSX some time back with eucontrol.

Direct connections are always a little sus.

Pete
This one goes through an ISP-provided switch/router already.

To me it seems as if it'd be an issue other than that since I don't see why that device would get triggered to assign an address to the controller when I reboot the computer. It would seem more likely to me that it's the computer or driver etc. because of that. I could be wrong of course.

I was thinking perhaps there's some setting for how often the OS will ping for other devices on the network. Or maybe it's the driver that does it.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll look a little further at my RCN router as well as at the Avid forum I suppose.... It's a very minor inconvenience.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hello to all,

It is probably answered somehwere but excuse me , really have no time to read 100 pages...
Please, what version of Win 10 is currently the best and the safest? . I am on 1909 curently now but it is already a 2 years old.
Much appriciated
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesique ➡️
Hello to all,

It is probably answered somehwere but excuse me , really have no time to read 100 pages...
Please, what version of Win 10 is currently the best and the safest? . I am on 1909 curently now but it is already a 2 years old.
Much appriciated
I always go with the latest version that Windows Update suggests. There is a slight risk for incompatibility with hardware or software you happen to run so it’s smart to make an image first.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The only ones we make are the generic ones that work with the lowest common denominator of devices like the "HID-compliant mouse" driver. That is there to get you up and running, and also because some folks don't like the device-specific configuration apps (calling them "bloatware"). All the rest of the drivers, including ones on Windows update, come from the manufacturers of the devices.

The base HID drivers are almost always Microsoft. In most cases, that's not where you want to look. Check under "Mice and other pointing devices" to see if the OEM driver has been installed.

I assume you reimaged this, because these laptops all ship with the OEM drivers pre-installed and configured. Some manufacturers make it a pain to get to the factory install config without actually using their base image.

I don't have experience with these touch devices, but you said it gets driven by the on-board graphics. So, if it works more as a touch screen and shows up as an actual screen, there will be video and touch drivers installed. If it really just shows up as a touchpad, then it'll be under "mice and other pointing devices". The reason this can be important is because there is a swipe gesture for the touchscreen which brings up that task switch window, and those gestures are not always the same as the touchpad gestures.

JFYI: There's a BIOS update for that laptop from this month. Asus doesn't publish release/change notes, though, so not sure if any of those updates change anything with the screenpad.

Pete
all these devices under human intrface and mice and other pointing devices have MS drivers. I can't install the ASUS touchpad driver, I get the MS has determined the best driber is already installed, their driver from 2006. I turned test mode on and diasabled signed drivers still nothing I can only install by update have disk nd point to the only .inf file that's in the folder and then it doesn't work

Oh yea, I did install LTSC 1809 to loose all the OEM bloat and thinking since I didn't have the multi desktop problem on my older laptop with the same version installed on it I would end up the same way on this newer one.
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here-device-mgr.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here-device-mgr.jpg  

Last edited by throbert; 2 days ago at 05:40 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
all these devices under human intrface and mice and other pointing devices have MS drivers. I can't install the ASUS touchpad driver, I get the MS has determined the best driber is already installed, their driver from 2006. I turned test mode on and diasabled signed drivers still nothing I can only install by update have disk nd point to the only .inf file that's in the folder and then it doesn't work
(please read entire things before trying anything. I typed this out as I was investigating)

Wow. You shouldn't have to do any of that to install a compatible vendor driver.

When you try to install the ASUS driver package, do you get any sort of error? Anything in the event logs? (Event viewer, Windows logs).

You can also open a command prompt and run the ASUS installer with a /LOG option.

I think the installer also does this, but I looked at the instructions and really, you don't need powershell here. All it's doing is loading the info using pnputil and the legacy command line switches.

You can try this, in an admin command prompt, from the directory where the inf file is (C:\DRIVERS\ASUS_Touchpad_Precision TouchPad_DCH\Touchpad\x64> by default):

Quote:
pnputil /add-driver AsusPTPFilter.inf /install
and note any output. You should see something like:

Quote:
C:\DRIVERS\ASUS_Touchpad_Precision TouchPad_DCH\Touchpad\x64>pnputil /add-driver AsusPTPFilter.inf /install
Microsoft PnP Utility

Adding driver package: AsusPTPFilter.inf
Driver package added successfully. (Already exists in the system)
Published Name: oem109.inf

Total driver packages: 1
Added driver packages: 1

C:\DRIVERS\ASUS_Touchpad_Precision TouchPad_DCH\Touchpad\x64>
After a reboot, the device filter driver is installed on the system, but the touchpad may not have picked it up.

It doesn't look like Asus provides any companion app for this, so there will be no special UI. You'll still see the HID drivers from Microsoft in the tree because reasons so it's entirely possible that the Asus filter drive has been installed and is working already.

Sorry for the round and round on this. I've no experience with these specific devices and am writing as I try things out a bit in the dark.

It obviously shows up as a touchpad, given your screen shot. It also shows up touch screen. Not sure how the two of those would interact because there are gestures specific to each.

You can try completely disabling touch pad gestures though settings, if you haven't already. Settings -> Devices. There should be a "touch pad" or similar entry (I'm on a desktop and don't have it). You should be able to toggle gestures there just to see if that's the issue.

You could also try to manually disable the touch screen in device manager. Maybe it's the side swipe in that is bringing up this screen. That could happen if the pad is seen as a screen, and you drag your finger in from the edge (swipe).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-e02892e572fc

Actually, that above step is probably what's going to do it for you. I'm betting you're using the trackpad and, without meaning to, swiping in from the side, and being a touch screen, it's reacting to that gesture. I know you said you disabled the touch screen, but I'm not sure how. It still shows up in your device manager screen shot.

If that's the case, there's also this change I found:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-0a8c205624bb

Quote:
Got it, y'all.

I'm using Win 10 Home. Disable button didn't do it. Adding gpedit.msc was possible, but it didn't have the necessary EdgeUI entry in the sub-menu to fix the issue. Yep, I was disgruntled in a big way.
Here's the fix: (This will disable all edge swipe, but shouldn't mess with other gesture stuff.)

Open regedit.exe, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\EdgeUI
(If EdgeUI is not present, Add a new key under Windows, named EdgeUI.)
Set AllowEdgeSwipe value to zero (0).
(If AllowEdgeSwipe is not present, add a new DWORD and name it AllowEdgeSwipe, then set to 0.)
That's it. You may or may not have to reboot.

Cheers.

-do7phin
Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Question

Quote:
(please read entire things before trying anything. I typed this out as I was investigating)

Wow. You shouldn't have to do any of that to install a compatible vendor driver.

When you try to install the ASUS driver package, do you get any sort of error? Anything in the event logs? (Event viewer, Windows logs).

You can also open a command prompt and run the ASUS installer with a /LOG option.

I think the installer also does this, but I looked at the instructions and really, you don't need powershell here. All it's doing is loading the info using pnputil and the legacy command line switches.

You can try this, in an admin command prompt, from the directory where the inf file is (C:\DRIVERS\ASUS_Touchpad_Precision TouchPad_DCH\Touchpad\x64> by default):

and note any output. You should see something like:

After a reboot, the device filter driver is installed on the system, but the touchpad may not have picked it up.

It doesn't look like Asus provides any companion app for this, so there will be no special UI. You'll still see the HID drivers from Microsoft in the tree because reasons so it's entirely possible that the Asus filter drive has been installed and is working already.

Sorry for the round and round on this. I've no experience with these specific devices and am writing as I try things out a bit in the dark.

It obviously shows up as a touchpad, given your screen shot. It also shows up touch screen. Not sure how the two of those would interact because there are gestures specific to each.

You can try completely disabling touch pad gestures though settings, if you haven't already. Settings -> Devices. There should be a "touch pad" or similar entry (I'm on a desktop and don't have it). You should be able to toggle gestures there just to see if that's the issue.

You could also try to manually disable the touch screen in device manager. Maybe it's the side swipe in that is bringing up this screen. That could happen if the pad is seen as a screen, and you drag your finger in from the edge (swipe).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-e02892e572fc

Actually, that above step is probably what's going to do it for you. I'm betting you're using the trackpad and, without meaning to, swiping in from the side, and being a touch screen, it's reacting to that gesture. I know you said you disabled the touch screen, but I'm not sure how. It still shows up in your device manager screen shot.

If that's the case, there's also this change I found:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-0a8c205624bb

Pete
I rarely use the touchscreen it's a little too far away while sitting in my recliner and reaching for it sitting on its own stand.

I disabled edge UI some time ago but I think I did it in gpedit.

when I installed the touchpad driver by have disc/AsusPTPFilter.inf and it installs the driver provider in devcie mgr says ASUS, just doesn't work. I ordered a logitech M575 trackball so even thouggh I want to fiddle with it, I'm going to wait till it gets here, tired of playying around with the keys tring to navigate my way around.
📝 Reply