The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments SUCKS with Pro Tools
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Native Instruments SUCKS with Pro Tools

I can't believe more people aren't complaining about this. I have Pro Tools LE, 7, Mac G5 dual 2.0ppc, 1.5 gigs of ram and recently bought native instruments Komplete.

It simply does NOT work well as RTAS plug ins in Pro Tools and i feal really ripped off. I don't expect software to be perfect or not buggy, but this is rediculous. It CONSTANTELY looses communication with the 002, forcing me to quit and restart pro tools to solve the problem. I'm talking about this happening even if I have 1 NI plug in running(battery, Kontact is the worst, etc). From what I understand, this doesn't really happen in logic or other platforms.

I personally don't know a single person running current NI plug ins in pro tools who aren't experiencing these problems. I've updated my NI plug ins, updated OS to what's recomended, troubleshooted and come to the conclusion it just doesn't work...

but that's not all folks, there SEEMS to be a solution, from talking to my tech buddies. NI has Kore, which i can shell out more money for to let PT run their products as AU or VST plugs, which seems to work a lot better from what i understand.

If their shit just doesn't work with pro tools in the RTAS format right now, why pretend it does???? I wouldn't even be pissed if they were telling me up front i need to get Kore, but it's a real bummer to shell out $1,000+ dollars for what appears to be dream software that just simply doesnt work!!!!!
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Native Instruments SUCKS is enough

good sounds just crappie buggy programs
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I'm having good luck running Komplete 4 with PT 7.3 on a dual 2.5 G5 with 5 gig ram. All sample based VI's run better with more ram. Faster hard drives help too, NI recommends access times of 5 ms or less. I've got most of my libraries on a FW800, really intensive stuff from Kontact & Akoustik Piano on a SCSI drive. Reducing the processors in playback menu can also help. Dual g5 from 2 to 1, quads from 4 to 3. Just make sure you're running all the latest updates....
Old 5th January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
NI stuff has always been rediculously buggy on Macs. i felt your pain years ago. ditch that shit and get something else.
Old 6th January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Has anyone tried running NI stuff as VSTs wrapped through the FXpansion VST to RTAS wrapper to see if that somehow is more stable?
Lives for gear

I never used NI on a Mac but that surprised me...they show all their demos on a Mac...maybe is PT and anyway PT never was known to be the best for MIDI stuff!!
Just now with 7.2 7.3 are more advanced.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
battery has minor bugs with logic 7 for me. kontakt crashes quite a bit. they both seem to run fine with digital performer 5.

there are a lot of extremely pissed of people on the ni forum who simply can't activate their software. i had to jump through a lot of weird uninstall/ trash prefs/reinstall to get it to authorize. n.i. simply doesn't respond to known problems.

i really feel like some of these companies need to get sued. it might wake them up. some of us are losing a lot of money due to sessions that won't run with buggy plug-ins. if a design flaw is clear cut and well documented i think you could win a legal case easily.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Exclamation Rotten Apple

Native Instruments is the finest software around IMO

it's your Mac that's the problem

get a PC and watch your 002 & softwares run in perfect harmony
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Actually, it sounded like the problem was PT LE, since the DP version was fine. I'd just get DP myself, but that's because it works for me without crashing, and it's better than PTLE. Way better.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I feel your pain having dealt with NI instruments for years, but your problem isn't common. Losing sync? Don't know what that is.

My issue with NI, and everyone I know seems to be in the same boat, is that it's a CPU hog, seemingly inefficient. Recently someone suggested having a minimum of 3.5 gigs of RAM when using a lot of virtual instruments and after upgrading to 4 gigs I've had almost no issues whatsoever with NI or other virtual instruments for that matter.
Lives for gear

I agree with elambo!
NI is the best sounding and most advanced softsynth around!!! they really sound so good!
and all of these is because of their advanced programming and technolgy going on.
For that performace you need at least 2GB but I would say 4GB of Ram is safe!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why would having over 2 gigs of ram help with say.. Massive? The Massive patches are not that large in size. It is mostly your CPU that it is hard on.
📝 Reply