The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 20th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah G ➡️
do people prefer the Bettermaker or the Ruletec better and does anyone have any idea what the price on the Ruletec might be on January 24th?
The thing to note is the differences between them.

The Ruletec is a version of the classic, vibey, tubey Pultec EQ.
The Bettermaker is a clean, modernised version, without the tubey vibe, and with some extra features in the other Q bands.

If you want to vibe, go with the Ruletec. If you want a clean Pultec, go with the Bettermaker.
If you don't know what you want, skip them both, or demo them both, and see if you like either of them.

I expect the Ruletec price will be the same as before, last time it was $44.99, so in the ballpark...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Question:
The Bettermaker is on sale for 39.99 today and tomorrow and I haven't used a 25 voucher yet this month so was gonna grab it. However after reading through the Bettermaker thread on here, a lot of people swear by it but a few people commented saying they prefer the NoiseAsh Ruletec. I already have a few pultec emulations including the waves and the free KiveAudio and Analogue Obsession ones and you can kinda do a pultec trick with the Lindell T-100....sooooo as I'm kinda broke right now, do people prefer the Bettermaker or the Ruletec better and does anyone have any idea what the price on the Ruletec might be on January 24th? Thank you in advance
damn the torpedoes!... get em all.
Old 20th January 2022
Thank you both @ musicman691 and @ mu:zines for your input. Yea the workflow thing I have heard about but didn't mind it so much when I used it myself at a friend's studio (altho it is not a great GUI imho) @ mu:zines - I reckon I'm fairly well covered for the pultec vibyness (is that a word I'm not sure) with the ones I have...not sure if I'll have time to demo it before the deal runs out on the Bettermaker...thanks again tho as you both helped me ask the right questions which will aid me in finding an answer before the deal runs out

Edit: LOL @ Lazoo - I hear you but my pocket won't allow that right now

Last edited by Jonah G; 20th January 2022 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: additional info
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Question:
The Bettermaker is on sale for 39.99 today and tomorrow and I haven't used a 25 voucher yet this month so was gonna grab it. However after reading through the Bettermaker thread on here, a lot of people swear by it but a few people commented saying they prefer the NoiseAsh Ruletec. I already have a few pultec emulations including the waves and the free KiveAudio and Analogue Obsession ones and you can kinda do a pultec trick with the Lindell T-100....sooooo as I'm kinda broke right now, do people prefer the Bettermaker or the Ruletec better and does anyone have any idea what the price on the Ruletec might be on January 24th? Thank you in advance
Bettermaker 100% at that price. Mid side etc which I am not sure the others have... I use uad pultec over ruletech.
Bettermaker is different enough to the uad pultec.
Not at least the gui design
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear you but my pocket won't allow that right now
There’s time... plugs are getting cheaper by the day... once everyone has every plug, then we can all die happy.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazoo ➡️
There’s time... plugs are getting cheaper by the day... once everyone has every plug, then we can all die happy.
Fortunately I have one in my kitchen sink !
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
Bettermaker 100% at that price. Mid side etc which I am not sure the others have... I use uad pultec over ruletech.
Bettermaker is different enough to the uad pultec.
Not at least the gui design
Yes MidSide - didn't even think about that and no none of the others do that...Bettermaker it is! Bless
Old 20th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So there are deals At bestservice on izotope neutron 3 standard for about €50 - That gets you their sculptor and probably some other bits making it worthwhile- thoughts??
Old 20th January 2022
Gear Addict

I tried the bettermaker and couldn't get so much from it, not so easy to dial (maybe I should try it again).

You can do M/S with the waves one, using studio rack (free)
Gear Maniac

Bettermaker is a bit tricky, the knobs range is unintuitive, same goes for the controls over all.. But it wasnt much of a problem getting used to it. Loving it since, got rid of all the other pultec style eqs. Im getting the vibe out of other plugins, this one is a great eq, for drums and busses especially
Old 21st January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes MidSide - didn't even think about that and no none of the others do that...Bettermaker it is! Bless
Ozone's vintage eq is a Pultec sim and has m/s built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjava ➡️
[MIND BLOWN]

I forgot about that plugin.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If you run Logic, you can make *any* plugin do M/S btw...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines ➡️
If you run Logic, you can make *any* plugin do M/S btw...
Same with Wavelab by Steinberg.

Edit: with routing and eq you could do it in any DAW for that matter. Sigmod can act as a wrapper for it as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
Same with Wavelab by Steinberg.

Edit: with routing and eq you could do it in any DAW for that matter. Sigmod can act as a wrapper for it as well.
Sure, but it's nice and easy in Logic, open one plugin as Dual Mono instead of Stereo, click M/S, and now one instance is doing the Mid, and the other copy (in the same window) does the Side, and Logic does the encode/decode - super easy and barely an inconvenience!

But yes, I'm sure other DAWs/etc have a similar feature. Doing it manually is generally...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines ➡️
Sure, but it's nice and easy in Logic, open one plugin as Dual Mono instead of Stereo, click M/S, and now one instance is doing the Mid, and the other copy (in the same window) does the Side, and Logic does the encode/decode - super easy and barely an inconvenience!

But yes, I'm sure other DAWs/etc have a similar feature. Doing it manually is generally...
Ah but the problem there is I am biased against Apple
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah - I bought it as well as my IR loader Ignite:Libra from STL Tones cost about $49 so thought this was a very fair price for Celestion Speaker Shaper from Softube.

When I got my cheap(ish) Line 6 150W Spider III Amp years ago now I was amazed that they used 2x12" Celestion Speakers in it. I just got that amp for the quick presets.

Anyway - how is your eye? I hope all is mending well?
Thanks. Things are a bit distorted and blurry but I was told recovery can take 6 months. Considering I was almost blind in one eye, I won't complain.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It is really really good. I still like ruletec Heritage the most. And Waves PuigTec (wasn't using it for a long time, and yesterday tried just putting the eqp1a on a mixbuss and it sounded amazing). But those aren't free, of course. The one from Ignite is good too, but kiive's sound better IMHO
I used the Ignite many times, still like it.
Also the PA Channel X has a similar EQ. Together with the preamp and comp, very nice package.
I use it mainly for snare surgical sound shaping though..
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➡️
Things just haven't been the same since we got put in the Moan Zone, it's like part of it came back with us
I guess we were looking into the abyss for too long.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer ➡️
Nietzsche’s abyss!
I should have read all the remaining comments before posting after a longer absence
trg
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
I should have read all the remaining comments before posting after a longer absence
Yeah, it's quite the task going through all the 30 or so pages that happened since before Christmas...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingataff ➡️
Thanks. Things are a bit distorted and blurry but I was told recovery can take 6 months. Considering I was almost blind in one eye, I won't complain.
All the best
Gear Maniac

Quote:
All the best
Ah, thanks man, I needed that. Just finished a bag of chips and my hands got a little sticky from the oil. FML.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Derek ➡️
Ah, thanks man, I needed that. Just finished a bag of chips and my hands got a little sticky from the oil. FML.
Sounds like you have it bad
Old 21st January 2022
trg
Lives for gear
I recently got Softube Heartbeat, now UVI Drum Designer is at 50%. Have any of you guys anything to say about those two? Any love or hate?
Thanks
Old 21st January 2022
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm late too... I think Bettermaker is a fantastic plugin. I guess the interface doesn't bother me and I love the sound.

I think BX True Peak limiter is a great limiter. I like it significantly better than IK Stealth, but compared to Pro L it's more of a tossup.

Do you ever get tired of all this stuff and just want to make some music? No, me neither. (LOL, just kidding.)
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sounds like you have it bad
I am sorry for being emotional but it is just one of those days. As if oily fingers was not enough, my pen stopped working in the middle of writing.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
I think Bettermaker is a fantastic plugin. I guess the interface doesn't bother me and I love the sound.
+1

I use this quite a lot on the master bus etc to bring out the top and condition the bottom in that sweet Pultec way but without too much colour. Sometimes a bit of mid tweaking as well...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Derek ➡️
I am sorry for being emotional but it is just one of those days. As if oily fingers was not enough, my pen stopped working in the middle of writing.
This is really hard to read, man, I am sorry for your difficulty. I hope things get a little easier for you, please watch out for paper cuts or dropping something and it rolls away under a couch. Can't stand to see your tragedy worsen.

Y'all I'm on a gat dang Rockman kick right now, I've been jamming with the X-100 in AT5 and the Rockguy pack from Overloud for a couple days. I think the '80s vibe is just the right sound to go in this piece I am working on using the Cherry Quadra.

Still no video for the Quadra, been really busy, but something I am making good use of and enjoy is its multi-output capability. It's cool being able to route key sections on my keyboards super quickly and easily to the different elements, then route the plugin outputs so the bass goes to its own channel and process that individually, the strings and poly get a group, lead gets its own channel. Then I can use whatever effects I want on each element, ones that I picked rather than having to use just the built in effects compliment (though, for working quickly, it's nice to have that and cool that they let you turn effects on and off individually for the different parts). I am hoping to have some time this weekend to sit down and work with this project more.
Old 22nd January 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by trg ➡️
I recently got Softube Heartbeat, now UVI Drum Designer is at 50%. Have any of you guys anything to say about those two? Any love or hate?
Thanks
Two things go against Drum Designer, even though IMHO it is rather good.
You can't use your own samples afaik and there's only 8 drum slots per kit.
I've just got Wave Alchemy's Triaz and, though not without 'faults,' it's quite possibly the best drum solution so far. I urge you to demo it, though the demo is very restricted and doesn't really do it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xci8VFFS_8
Old 22nd January 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
ended up snagging Celestion speaker shaper, being a guitar junkie, i couldn't resist the half off.
📝 Reply