The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 5th June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR ➡️
Thinking about Softube Tape instead of a PA plugin this month, Tape is at $49, I hear it's pretty good.

I have tried several times to get a tape machine integrated into my system, I now have a pile of three that I never use, love the sound, too much work, but never really found a plugin that did the effect justice.
what machines you got? plan to sell?
trg
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thinking about Softube Tape instead of a PA plugin this month, Tape is at $49, I hear it's pretty good.
How would that compare to Initial Audio Analog Pro? That's at $19 atm
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

I have tried several times to get a tape machine integrated into my system, I now have a pile of three that I never use, love the sound, too much work, but never really found a plugin that did the effect justice.
I'm a big Tape user.

Sometimes it's good on mix bus. I use UAD there too.

All my drum channels go to Tape before hitting the hard drive so I "Track to Tape" it's a funny concept but it makes a difference to my ear.

so yeah I have got way more than my $49 worth already.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan ➡️
99$ for Iron ?!?

The problem with theses constant PA sales is that they force you to check their site each 2 days and to take stupid impulsive decisions, but when you need one plugin because you are serious about the way you work and don't need plenty of useless plugins that will complicate your mixing life, you spend your time waiting and don't get what you want.

How many guys out there bought dozens of plugins they don't even know how to use because it was a "bargain" ?
Actually, the real price of these plugins are the sales prices : for exemple, Maag EQ4 for 29$ last month, when Luftikus is free and sounds the same (with the great auto gain feature Maag EQ4 doesn't have).

I guess the "bargain" are based on the demand : who cares really about Bx_delay or Bx_Room when you've got so much better choices around ?
VSM-3 is gorgeous, Iron too, so they don't come out at 29€ ! I guess the good price of VSM-3 in the mastering bundle 3 (I bought it last month), considering I will find no use for the rest of the bundle, is based on the fact the plugin is quite old and already lived its life. Not like Iron apparently...

I was waiting for Iron, and i've got it today, but I'm not ready to pay 99$ for it.
I guess it's the real price of this plugin (it sounds awesome, it's true).
Too bad for me checking their ****ing site all the time and loosing time and mental health...

Maybe it's good for the business. It seems to be good, when you see so many customers proud of their PA collection - I don't know how they can use all that stuff and learn how to use them, but they must feel secure to have all theses "secret weapons".

But I don't like this way of playing with the customers...
If Iron is one of those plugins that won't collect dust and will actually end up in your mixes all the time, it's probably worth the $99
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
honestly if I was going to buy a new comp the Magic Eye is getting raves..... Between the Vertigo, MJUC, UBK-1, SDRR and FGX (clean), I have a lot of amazing choices..... move away from the PayPal button....!
Old 5th June 2019
Deleted e71ab78
If your looking for a compressor I highly recommend Sonimus TuCo. It's so good and $28 for a couple more days. Works really well on the master channel, sounds tight and gluey and uses barely any cpu, well worth checking out.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi ➡️
Yes I know it’s a mastering compressor, you think if I’d read the manual cover to cover I’d have somehow missed that...

I just didn’t get on with it. Why on gearslutz when you make a point that goes over people’s heads they start trying to explain abcs to you ,I don’t know

A good many comps can be used for parallel, I was hoping someone would share a unique use for an apparently unique comp.

So, what reasons can people suggest it’s any better than another comp, that’s what I’m asking. Can anyone show what it can do than ff pro c 2 couldn’t, for instance?
The point Simon was making is you're trying to use Iron for a purpose it was never made for. It would be like trying to use the Waves SSL bus comp to enhance transients. Pro C2 is a completely different animal compressor-wise. I have them both and use them in appropriate situations. A vari-mu like Iron will never be able to do what other compressor variants can do. Just like an opto LA2A type.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto ➡️
If Iron is one of those plugins that won't collect dust and will actually end up in your mixes all the time, it's probably worth the $99
I don't use it all the time but only on certain things like acoustic guitar, piano and vocals. For that alone it's worth what I paid for it; atm I forget the price but I snagged it when it dropped last year.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f4d7f22 ➡️
Not really on the market for any UAD plugin.
Me neither. I love my Apollo, but if I were to start again I would buy a lot more native plugins.
Lives for gear

Quote:

yeah i bought the tape which is why i had to skip the sale so far. its a good plugin for me.
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey I think the sales are great and allows them to move aging plug ins and me to discover some things like Bassdude or Character I would have never bought.....
I wish I was on the voucher thing but only bought HG2 which I was lusting after. Honestly, I have such great tools gotta be really tempting since I've got gear I don't use enough like SDRR which 20 years ago I would have died and gone to heaven with....!
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Give me the sales, I'll take the sales.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
Do you have the UAD SSL? How would you rate the compression?

I don't really like the Bluey in Mix Hub very much, it's kind of mushy compared to my better 1176 plugins. The normal VCA/SSL one though I think sounds pretty good it seems kind of quick and snappy or something.
Good to know. I haven't tried the blue 1176 comp from Mix Hub yet. Its SSL channel comp just seems to grab onto things the right way without any fuss, so I've had no desire so far to mess with the bluey. I usually avoid using the compressor on the SSL channel strip plug-ins. At most, I might use the gate, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the channel compression in the Mix Hub.

I haven't revisited the channel compression from the UAD channel strip yet, but I might have to soon just out of curiosity. The EQ portion of their SSL channel strip isn't on top of my list of go to plug-ins so it's been a while since I've last used it.
Deleted e71ab78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan ➡️
When I buy Kotelnikov gentleman edition at 50€, I know the price will not change each month and I know the price is more than fair.
So I buy it when I need it, at the price I'm willing to pay.

With their constant sales, PA oblige you to wait the decent price (which means the sale price) and to check their offers almost each day.
You can buy one plugin 80€, and 2 weeks later it's worth 30€...

It's a good strategy for them, because it's a kind of constant promotion and constant actuality : people speak about them, they are excited about the sales, and they check their products regularly.
Like zombies fighting for cheap crap at half the price in big shops...

But when you need something, without knowing when and how much you will be able to buy it, it's exhausting. Not only because of the uncertainty, but because of the ridiculous situation : my life is not supposed to turn around gettin' 80% on plugins, but about music.
This is the reason why I don't find it fair for the customer.

Tokyo Dawn Labs, DMG Audio, Fabfilter... These are classy companies that don't play with their customers.

Anyway, I'm very happy with VSM-3 and some plugins they make are great.
It could just be better for the customers to have a normal price they can rely on when they want to invest into something (because who is buying Maag EQ4 at 230 € ? Come on...)
I understand your point, I also find the almost daily marketing a bit much but it is what it is and can be great, like I got the e channel for free with my voucher and I'm loving it. I spent quite a while getting absorbed into it when they released those channels with many emails back and forth with support, it worked out well in the end though but I remember it being a total faff.

Your talking as if you have to pay attention or you really need their plugins. If their marketing and way of buisiness doesn't suit you as a person, it's down to you to excercise some self discipline and walk away. They aren't going to change any time soon so I think you should stop looking at their offers, unsubscribe from emails and focus on your music if that is what you ultimately want.

I appreciate where your coming from but it's you that needs to change what your viewing if you find it tiring and negatively impacting your mind. Switch off from it for a few weeks at least to get some perspective, i've done it with this site and some others and it's a good thing to excercise.

I have considered deleting my account here a few times for a simiar reasons but usually a break makes me realise there are still things to learn here, just not looking at the new products all the time.

You want more time on music and not looking at plugins so that is what you should do. That comes from you though, no one is forcing you to pay attention and you don't need their plugins so stop looking out for them if you don't like it. All the best with it.
Old 6th June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

If Iron had been $69, I'd have jumped on it. $99 is too much imo. Oh well...maybe next year.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sometimes when PA does a big sale like this and don't give monthly vouchers, they will give a 'loyalty voucher' at the end of the month when they put everything back on sale at once.

I'm guessing that will depend on how the sales go during the month. If things were slow, they will give vouchers to get some last minute sales.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Fingers crossed for that, Ron.
Old 6th June 2019
trg
Lives for gear
The colours in these new sale emails hurt my eyes. I want the black back!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trg ➡️
The colours in these new sale emails hurt my eyes. I want the black back!
I actually like the bright summery look. Surfer dude who looks a great deal like Billy F. Gibbons from ZZ Top.
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you don't like the spamming just tune into the Deal Zone. they usually are there.....
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
This thread below brought up an interesting suggestion about how to use Millenia TCL-2:

Using it as the parallel compressor in the Andrew Sheps "Rear Bus" technique, because its a nice high-end bus compressor with a range of tonal options, and importantly it can be NON stereo linked (dual mono).

Hadnt been using it too terribly often overall anyway, so I'm going to try this out. Actually makes a lot of sense as a good comp for that purpose, so want try it.

Millenia TCL 2 as a 'Rear Buss' Parallel comp
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
LOVE Dirk and PA !

Chime-in if you get a PA monthly voucher... a 'loyalty voucher' - I can tell this month is going to do a little lovable damage to the bank account.

I'll never forget the day i discovered Brainworx/Plugin Alliance... I remember thinking, now here's where the smart puppies are!

- Kevin
Old 7th June 2019 | Show parent
trg
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
I actually like the bright summery look. Surfer dude who looks a great deal like Billy F. Gibbons from ZZ Top.
Yeah, I like the dude, but not so much the colours further down. Anyways, no REAL problem there...
Old 7th June 2019
trg
Lives for gear
Btw: who was waiting for HG-2? It's on now... and cheaper than I got it last year!
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

i would love to buy hawkeye, but 99,00 is too much for me ...

i recently bought true iron and also the new fuse pre, so i dont think i can justify hg-2, even so i liked it when i tryed it.

it look like this sale is not for me
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
How much was HG-2 the other month?
trg
Lives for gear
Quote:
How much was HG-2 the other month?
Beginning of Feb, it was $69, same in Dec 18. Before that, it always was $89 - that's how I bought it Well, I could use it since, so no waste...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling ➡️
i would love to buy hawkeye, but 99,00 is too much for me ...
No need ot waste money on Hawkeye, anyway. This is so outdated.
Only 8K FFT Window (calling this high precision is joke),
no multitrack-readout, no masking / collison display.

You can get MMultiAnalyzer from Melda for $25 in the Madness rotation sale which has all of this and more. Sir Audio Tools and Voxengo SPAN Plus are < $45 without any sale.

From all the misses in the PA catalogue this easily takes crown, for me.

YMMV, as usual.

Last edited by dyscode; 7th June 2019 at 11:45 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trg ➡️
Btw: who was waiting for HG-2? It's on now... and cheaper than I got it last year!
Gonna snag it this time around. So I'll have two tube saturators (HG2 & Phil's) and VSM3 from PA. So I'll have the saturation thing covered.

Have several other plugins that are supposedly used for saturation but I don't consider them as such. I'm talking about Vintage Warmer 2 and J37 Tape.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyscode ➡️
No need ot waste money on Hawkeye, anyway. This is so outdated.
Only 8K FFT Window (calling this high precision is joke),
no multitrack-readout, no masking / collison display.

You can get MMultiAnalyzer from Melda for $25 in the Madness rotation sale which has all of this and more. Sir Audio Tools and Voxengo SPAN Plus are < $45 without any sale.

From all the misses in the PA catalogue this easily takes crown.

YMMV, as usual.
thanks, never tested it, just liked the look and thought will test it when its on sale! look like i will pass on it anyway
📝 Reply