The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 2 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazoo ➡️
all these de-ess plugs are good depending on the source and what one is going for... the lindell is pretty direct and if overused can create lisping, it can be hard core if that's what one needs... i tend to use it more than the others mentioned because of its ability to dig in and scoop out the esses... but it takes a bit of tweaking to find the sweet spot... if it's causing lisping, you have it set too heavy.

i also like the waves sibilance and deesser plugs... the weiss is also a great plug... the IK, TB and others mentioned, all work well when tweaked properly.... sometimes i use two or three de-ess plugs at different points in the chain... and sometimes will do some volume automation on top of all that... just depends... i'm also still learning what works best for any given scenario and still learning all these freakin plugs.

point is... all these de-ess plugs work great... just depends on the source material and intention/ability/creativity of the user.
Ah yeah, Waves Sibilance was another one I have and compared that did a pretty good job.

As I say, I tested on a specific thing as a quick test and the Era 6 was a league beyond the others in that RX way where you can just cut out specific parts of the audio completely...will it work like that on everything? I have heard examples of others using it where it didn't work as well, so totally agree that it depends on the source and what you want to do. I just set them all up until they lisped and then backed them off a touch and compared results. I just liked the character LSR imparted and it came in second, followed closely by TB.
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SPL deessers are always nice when I try them first.
The dual-band option helps a lot against lisping.
Sometimes it takes another deesser to throw in after it, for some more taming of certain parts.
I tend to automate thresholds.
📝 Reply