Originally Posted by mathirio ➡️
Mangledverb is one that I love
Very useful!
Old 30th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider ➡️
Very useful!
There’s a preset called Small Tube Overdrive. Think that’s what it’s called.
For anything that needs to flow in the background……this is perfect. Great for vocal harmonies too
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emokeez ➡️
Out of curiosity, what is it about the sound you don’t like?

I must have cloth ears. Whenever I compare, say. like with like 1176 compressors I think I can tell them apart at the time but if I give it a day and listen back ‘blind’ with fresh ears I struggle to tell the difference or pick a winner with soloed tracks let alone in the mix. So I just choose based on which I prefer using and makes it easier to dial in…

I find the differences to be diminishing returns. At least for me with my ears and monitoring. I’m sure the differences are more apparent for pros :-)

I do find the presets tend to be overcooked but I don’t like to use presets for most fx — comp, eq etc. as settings are obviously material dependent.

I’m mainly making electronic music and I don’t mix acoustic instruments often where I think the differences might be more apparent.

So yeah. Ik don’t sound bad to me. I’m genuinely curious as to what it is that I’m not hearing…
IK plugins just don't work for me. Maybe my ears are ****ed up but that's how I hear it. It's really hard to explain, they sound a bit "plastic" to me, like if there was some kind of additional processing on the output. I like how their Distressor behave but still hate it's sound. Can't help it, really.

Same with lots of Brainworx plugins, they have a very signature sound, it's very "raw" and "dry". However, the latest PA plugins (The Oven and Sa2rate2) are very different, it's a big step ahead. That's why I decided to subscribe to Forever29 to buy them. I also like their SSL's. But it's just my ears. People are strange :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➡️
Going back and forth on the BB Tubes plugin. On the one hand it seems to have a nice character, but on the other saturators are a dime a dozen and I'm not so certain it's going to do anything that I can't already do with other tools that I don't have to buy. Plus Waves keeps spamming me to tell me WUP is running out, like I don't know that Whole point of buying when I did over the last year was to get the releases with good Windows 11 compatibility and then ignore WUP for as long as possible afterward.
On a male vocal I got a better and louder (perceived) result with Fuse VPRE-562A. Set to aux in, gain at around 1 o'clock, a bit of treble boost.
Old 30th November 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, Fuse has some great options for "character" saturation with predictable & enjoyable results. I get so much use out of Ray D.'s code across a few brands.
Old 1st December 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathirio ➡️
That reverb got used a lot on your latest Reversed Vasectomy album, didn’t it?
Is that the 'Back On Tap' album? I've heard that's Camilla's favourite album.....................
Gear Nut

Quote:
I reckon some people feel like you get your kicks from pissing on their parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA ➡️
Yeah, at this stage it's safe to say that most of us are swimming in "warm saturation"

Unfortunate juxtaposition.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsperdu ➡️
Is that the 'Back On Tap' album? I've heard that's Camilla's favourite album.....................
haha 'Back on Tap' is a good one
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankRhodes ➡️
IK plugins just don't work for me. Maybe my ears are ****ed up but that's how I hear it. It's really hard to explain, they sound a bit "plastic" to me, like if there was some kind of additional processing on the output.
This is pretty much how I hear IK plug-ins as well. I think it's a taste thing. Of course, I don't think anyone else shouldn't try their plug-in themselves. After all, chances are sometimes it's how I use a tool that makes me like it, or not like it, and others might have other uses for the same tool and use it another way too.
Old 1st December 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Since we’re talking about our favorite reverbs, one of my favorites that I hardly hear mentioned has been the Goodhertz Megaverb. A good bad reverb with lots of character.

I also picked up Savant’s Quantum 2772 and it is very nice. I’m obviously a bit of a plugin junkie but especially a reverb junkie so I have lots.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
Waves Abbey Road Plates is good but CPU heavy.
Abbey Road Chambers is also very good. For me it's up there with Capitol. Haven't tried the new chamber plug-in from UA, but my assumption based on stuff I've listened to online is that it will fit in right alongside those as my go to choices.
Old 1st December 2022
And talking of reverbs.... Sir 3 is still on offer @ $49...worth a demo at least.

https://www.siraudiotools.com/SIR3.php

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA ➡️
In my case the fact that I could pick it up for $15 was certainly a factor. I tried it out on a mix and felt like it was doing something *special* but your experience might be different.
This reasoning is exactly why I'm passing on BB-Tubes. If it's not something I'd be willing to go out of my way for to purchase at over $100, it's not something I truly need in my list of plug-ins at under $25. I wish I did hear something from it that matches the level of hype that I'm seeing for it from others here, but I simply don't.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsperdu ➡️
And talking of reverbs.... Sir 3 is still on offer @ $49...worth a demo at least.

https://www.siraudiotools.com/SIR3.php

For one dollar more get Standard Gate & SIR 3 for $50.
Old 1st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Adaptiverb. There can be only one.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer ➡️
Adaptiverb. There can be only one.
Yes...amazing and unique reverb. On my now short list for next year. Assuming you just bought?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemore ➡️
Since we’re talking about our favorite reverbs, one of my favorites that I hardly hear mentioned has been the Goodhertz Megaverb. A good bad reverb with lots of character.

I also picked up Savant’s Quantum 2772 and it is very nice. I’m obviously a bit of a plugin junkie but especially a reverb junkie so I have lots.
Yeah that one flies under the radar and congrats on both. Soooo being a Verb fanatic if you could only keep 5 what would they be?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Thomas ➡️
Yes...amazing and unique reverb. On my now short list for next year. Assuming you just bought?
Got it since a few years. It’s quite unique, more like a re-synthesis verb. Crazy soundscapes.
I have (too) many reverbs but always come back to FabFilter’s Pro-R for “regular” use, and Zynaptiq’s Adaptiverb for everything else.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Thomas ➡️
Yeah that one flies under the radar and congrats on both. Soooo being a Verb fanatic if you could only keep 5 what would they be?
That’s tough, luckily I can keep them all.
5 reverb favorites off the top of my head in no order of importance:
Valhalla Vintage Verb
Strymon Bigsky
UAD Capital Chambers
Eventide Tverb
PSP 2445

I’m not good at making list like this
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemore ➡️
That’s tough, luckily I can keep them all.
5 reverb favorites off the top of my head in no order of importance:
Valhalla Vintage Verb
Strymon Bigsky
UAD Capital Chambers
Eventide Tverb
PSP 2445

I’m not good at making list like this
PSP 2445
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
TaiChi is inspired by Lexicon and others, but is fresh and new - a general purpose reverb inspired by old machines. Algorithmic.

HDCart is a Lexicon emulation with some modern conveniences. Algorithmic.

Seventh Heaven is a Bricasti M7 emulation. Convolution (but fancy).

They all overlap to some extent.
I’ve shied away from Seventh Heaven because it’s Convolution. I’ve never been a fan of the tech but I only hear good things about it specifically. I’ll probably pick it up at some point but for now I have 3 new reverbs to hold me over until next BF lol
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B ➡️
This is pretty much how I hear IK plug-ins as well. I think it's a taste thing. Of course, I don't think anyone else shouldn't try their plug-in themselves. After all, chances are sometimes it's how I use a tool that makes me like it, or not like it, and others might have other uses for the same tool and use it another way too.
Bang on. It’s not just a taste thing but also about expectations and the material you use it on.

For what I do, Ik stuff works fine. As I mentioned before I don’t do acoustic stuff and since my band sadly lost our singer, my days of recording vocals other than for vocoding are over.

So I’m using compression, eq etc on mainly electronic sounds. You can push and pull those sounds far more than you’d usually want to do to a ‘real’ instrument.

Theres a ton of stuff in the ik library that I really like. I use the tape echoes a lot, SSSR is nice, and mixbox can be a lot of fun. I use AmpliTube for guitars but also as a straight fx unit. The X-Gear pedals are nice and you can build some cool pedal chains that give me some unique sounds.

I often prefer the spring reverb from a shitty pedal on an 908 snare to something more hifi as it just gets me the sound in my head.

I can still enjoy Ik stuff no matter how much they get derided here — I use my own ears and taste to decide. And in the same vein the opposite holds true.

As long as we’re being true to ourselves then there’s no harm done :-)

I’ve often found plugins that a lot of people fawn all over do nothing for me. Some of them sound plain horrible to me.

We should all be confident in our own taste and personal preferences.

Anyway. I like some IK plugins almost as much as I dislike their shitty product manager app and the way they have to put bloody shops directly into some of their plugins.

So yeah. I know why people hate on them. They make it easy to dislike them and then confirmation bias will sometimes play a part. We all have our pantomime villains.

Mine is iLok. Hahahaha.
Old 1st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PA Poker is now a thing again. I really had to pile up the plugins to get the cart total up to $32 so I could apply the voucher because it kept adding dynamic discount

So basically I get Stage, bx Delay, Mono Upmix (the ones I will actually use) for $8
Attached Thumbnails
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?-ed9c3a00-6681-41d1-b823-5bd5ed8dc253.jpeg  
Gear Nut

Quote:
Bang on. It’s not just a taste thing but also about expectations and the material you use it on.

For what I do, Ik stuff works fine. As I mentioned before I don’t do acoustic stuff and since my band sadly lost our singer, my days of recording vocals other than for vocoding are over.

So I’m using compression, eq etc on mainly electronic sounds. You can push and pull those sounds far more than you’d usually want to do to a ‘real’ instrument.

Theres a ton of stuff in the ik library that I really like. I use the tape echoes a lot, SSSR is nice, and mixbox can be a lot of fun. I use AmpliTube for guitars but also as a straight fx unit. The X-Gear pedals are nice and you can build some cool pedal chains that give me some unique sounds.

I often prefer the spring reverb from a shitty pedal on an 908 snare to something more hifi as it just gets me the sound in my head.

I can still enjoy Ik stuff no matter how much they get derided here — I use my own ears and taste to decide. And in the same vein the opposite holds true.

As long as we’re being true to ourselves then there’s no harm done :-)

I’ve often found plugins that a lot of people fawn all over do nothing for me. Some of them sound plain horrible to me.

We should all be confident in our own taste and personal preferences.

Anyway. I like some IK plugins almost as much as I dislike their shitty product manager app and the way they have to put bloody shops directly into some of their plugins.

So yeah. I know why people hate on them. They make it easy to dislike them and then confirmation bias will sometimes play a part. We all have our pantomime villains.

Mine is iLok. Hahahaha.
Completely agree, and I’ll add that the last group buy landed me a sh*tload of plugins and VIs ranging from good (T-racks, Syntronik) to excellent (Sunset, Tapes, Arc) for a fraction of what I spent on PA and UAD. Hell, I think even my handful of Waves plugs cost me more, and there’s no WUP grief to deal with.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 ➡️
PA Poker is now a thing again. I really had to pile up the plugins to get the cart total up to $32 so I could apply the voucher because it kept adding dynamic discount

So basically I get Stage, bx Delay, Mono Upmix (the ones I will actually use) for $8
I'm almost tempted by this lot: It would double my BF spend

Maag EQ2, SPL DeVerb Pro, SPL Transient Designer Pro, SPL Twin Tube, Purple Audio MC-77 and Needlepoint for $17 + VAT. Not bad. Less than $3 a plug-in and none of them are the tuner or meter :-D
Attached Thumbnails
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?-screenshot-2022-12-01-09.45.10.png  
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
For one dollar more get Standard Gate & SIR 3 for $50.
Indeed, even more of a bargain.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Excellent, this is the reason I came to this thread at the first place, glad it is thing again.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm almost tempted by this lot. It would double my BF spend
Wow, your BF spend is so conservative!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludar ➡️
Excellent, this is the reason I came to this thread at the first place, glad it is thing again.
Or just buy the whole catalogue for $249….

If I didn’t have many PA plugins I would be on this and trying to get a voucher instead…
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, your BF spend is so conservative!
So far I've bought Slick EQ M and CA Rackmode.

But, for less than $3 a plug-in for stuff that's actually not bad (Purple MC-77+ Maag EQ2 + Needlepoint + DeVerb Pro + Transient Designer Pro + Twin Tube) I think I'll also go for that. There's stuff in that list I don't have duplicates of that I wouldn't have spent £20 each on as I'm a cheapskate; but £17 for 6 plugins? Not a bad deal.

And no bx_tuners were harmed in the making of that bundle =)

The only other tempting plug-in at the moment is Atlas 2, as I think I'll have a genuine use for that -- It would be like getting a new drum sample library with all the samples I've collected but don't use!

But that would double the spend again
📝 Reply