The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 11th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fak ➡️
I've toyed with the thought of the 500 series as well. The Neve looks like a super solid choice. I've drooled at the
Cranborne Audio 500R8
Nice!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjava ➡️
My band mate loved FM7 so I bought FM8, which includes legacy presets. Tried it and liked it.
Better you than me. I've had it since release along with FM7. Not for me; the sound isn't anywheres near what a real DX7 is/was. And the gui - what an illogical mess.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emokeez ➡️
I find it kind of funny how many people use different channel strips for each sound — SSL for drums, Neve for vocals kr vice versa etc etc — when the sales pitch for the console emulations is to use the same strip on every channel and use their TMT thing to make it more analogue like and make the mix sound more cohesive.
People can do whatever they want, of course. It was pretty common for people to track through Neve preamps, and then mix on an SSL, for instance. If you perceive the sound and character of the various channel strips more suits the vibe you're going for, I have no problem with people mix and matching.

How do I use channel strips?

For me, it's two things - workflow, and character. I like channel strips because I can spread them across my channels, and using my controller have each quick access to the core mix functions, rather than loading individual plugins as and when.

I will choose which strips to use based on a number of things depending on what I'm going for. If it's more something where I'm not necessarily looking for a lot of style or colour, I will use something like the SSJ 9KJ or Amek 9099 (or the SSL ChannelStrip2). If I'm specifically referencing earlier classic pop or rock recordings, I might well use the SSL 4KE or G depending on the style. If I'm doing something with a more deliberate colour, I might instead pick the Lindell 80 or 50, again according to style.

I'm not necessarily trying to replicate a particular console "sound" in general, and if there is a source where that channel strip isn't working for me for some reason, I may well switch it up and try something else on a case by case situation.

But for me, it's mostly workflow first, and sound/character second, but I will pick the channel strips I'm using broadly based on the style of material I'm working with.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
Better you than me. I've had it since release along with FM7. Not for me; the sound isn't anywheres near what a real DX7 is/was. And the gui - what an illogical mess.
Sorry, I don't even know the DX7 or how it really sounds. I just try stuff and if I like them I just use 'em. I'm just a musician doing music
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
I preferred the GUI of FM7 over FM8 I think, mostly for nostalgia's sake.

I remember back in the day loading custom sounds I'd programmed in my DX7S into FM7, comparing them directly and finding them functionally identical, and ended up preferred the software because you could take the sounds much further than you could on the hardware.

Does it sound 100% the same as a DX7 in all cases? No - there are more recent emulations that have done a more accurate and more detailed emulation job, especially in the strange quirky edge cases and extreme parameter ranges.

Will it sound more or less the same on most patches - yes. And it's of course closer to the later, cleaner DX7S/II than the much lower resolution DX7 MKI, but some people like that sound and noisy grittiness which was inherent to it.

Either way - you can make DX-style FM sounds, including all the classics and great music with any of them. If someone can't make music with it unless their DX7 emulation is absolutely the most spottest-on emulation there is, then there are other options available that may more suit the purist types.

I'm actually mostly using the free Dexed for access to classic patches (which is easier than using the Arturia one for this because of their patch management). The Arturia one is good though, and the Plogue one is super-purist emulation level and is supposed to be more or less bit-accurate to the original DX7, so that's the way to go if want the closest we've come in software emulations of the DX7...
Old 11th August 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nembrini has an update for the Cali Reverb amp sim - got the notice via an email with a link that I can't legitimately post here. It's the order URL page if you want to dig that out on your own.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider ➡️
Anyone got a 500 Series Rack?

Cheers.
Yes, with two BAE 312 and two Electrodyne 511. Those Electrodyne EQs are absolutely great.
Old 11th August 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I know I'm late to the party but just wanted to chime in on the Valhalla Vintage Verb. Its very nice! (as Borat would say)
I'm going to put it on everything, even my pancakes !
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines ➡️
People can do whatever they want, of course. It was pretty common for people to track through Neve preamps, and then mix on an SSL, for instance. If you perceive the sound and character of the various channel strips more suits the vibe you're going for, I have no problem with people mix and matching.

How do I use channel strips?

For me, it's two things - workflow, and character. I like channel strips because I can spread them across my channels, and using my controller have each quick access to the core mix functions, rather than loading individual plugins as and when.

I will choose which strips to use based on a number of things depending on what I'm going for. If it's more something where I'm not necessarily looking for a lot of style or colour, I will use something like the SSJ 9KJ or Amek 9099 (or the SSL ChannelStrip2). If I'm specifically referencing earlier classic pop or rock recordings, I might well use the SSL 4KE or G depending on the style. If I'm doing something with a more deliberate colour, I might instead pick the Lindell 80 or 50, again according to style.

I'm not necessarily trying to replicate a particular console "sound" in general, and if there is a source where that channel strip isn't working for me for some reason, I may well switch it up and try something else on a case by case situation.

But for me, it's mostly workflow first, and sound/character second, but I will pick the channel strips I'm using broadly based on the style of material I'm working with.
I was just curious how people used them TBH. I don’t really gel with most of them for general purpose EQ + comp duties as I guess muscle memory makes it quicker for me to use the stick Logic EQs and compressors.

But with the AMEK 9099 being pretty much PA’s premiere plugin at the moment I was curious if people would get much out of having multiple channel strips.

Obviously back in the day band would often track and mix in separate studios but generally you’d record through one console and mix through another.

There was obviously a lot of outboard too so you could go through a Neve mic pre into an SSL channel etc.

Anyway. I’m not sure what my point was. Obviously everybody is free to do what they want as indeed am I (I’ve never set up a mix with just one channel strip for example and am very late to the game when it comes to channel strip plugins anyway — it’s only in the last year or so I’ve even owned any and I’ve been pretending to be a producer for 30 odd years!).

It’s all good. No right or wrongs.

From a personal perspective the FOMO for the 9099 is like a little itch I can’t quite scratch but logically I know I don’t need it and am pretty sure I’d never really hear it in action. I don’t have expensive monitors, a tested room or £500+ headphones and my ears are old and tired. And starting to get hairy. I can hear the difference between the different channel strips whilst concentrating on a single track but once it’s back in the mix I can’t say any are better than any other and the returns diminish very quickly for me. The differences only matter whilst in the moment and that’s enough sometimes. I’m only doing this for fun. Nobody ever listens to the noises I make. Not even my wife. And I very much doubt she’d tell me it would be better had I used the SSL instead of the focusrite, so the only factor that matters to me is whether I think find value in it.

It looks like a cool plugin but I’m prepared to pass until they clean it. It’s a bit grubby and I like my gear to be clean and pristine. I don’t care how good it sounds, I’m not touching that grubby fader until it’s given a damn good scrub. Eeeuuuuggghhh.

I’m long past being judgemental. I’m happy to hear what other people do with these tools. Sometimes thing resonate and I think sounds fun. Id like some of that. With no ulterior motive other than enjoying myself and getting satisfaction from the music I make.

I’ve banged on about this way too much. Apologies if you made it this far
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickskii ➡️
Southern Ireland left the UK in 1922. It is not part of the UK. The United Kingdom is Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
I know exactly when The Republic of Ireland was formed.

Read what I wrote - British Isles not UK.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My plan is to use the DB 25 line inputs of my ASP 880 and use the AD via ADAT to the DAW.

Currently looking at the Neve R6 Rack as it has routing options to build signal chains and a DB 25 output.

So one cable to the ASP 880 and just press the AD button on each channel on the front to access the 500 rack….

That’s my plan.
It's pretty obvious you don't use this stuff. Someone this proud of their gear would certainly be showing off the end results. (And don't repost the MJ Fox clip in response). lol
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️

And I was just trying to help….
Gear Maniac

Quote:

It would seem that some people find it hard to separate geography from sovereignty. “The British isles” describes the geographical archipelago, not the sovereignty of the countries within it.

If Scotland were to leave Great Britain, they’ll still be in the British isles geographically speaking.

You can see why the RoI don’t like the geographical designation including the word ‘British” though. It was obviously defined when much of the atlas was painted red.
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would seem that some people find it hard to separate geography from sovereignty. “The British isles” describes the geographical archipelago, not the sovereignty of the countries within it.

If Scotland were to leave Great Britain, they’ll still be in the British isles geographically speaking.

You can see why the RoI don’t like the geographical designation including the word ‘British” though. It was obviously defined when much of the atlas was painted red.
Well they have the Irish Sea - isn't that enough for them?

Would they want it called the English Sea?
Old 11th August 2022
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I probably won't buy that Softube Tape Delay for $15. I don't feel the need for another tape delay emultaion.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
I probably won't buy that Softube Tape Delay for $15. I don't feel the need for another tape delay emultaion.
I'm going to hold off as if they have it on a big sale now, it's almost guaranteed to be included in Volume 6 which I believe will be released next month.
Old 12th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hendrix on High Quality Film-Thats my post

Lives for gear

Quote:
Hendrix on High Quality Film-Thats my post

Can never go wrong with Jimi Hendrix
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandepora ➡️
I can get the Neve R6 for £400 and just use the ASP 880 for AD conversion. Preserving some inputs on my Quantum for further hardware...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've got serious GAS and I've have a few beers....

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I was just curious how people used them TBH. I don’t really gel with most of them for general purpose EQ + comp duties as I guess muscle memory makes it quicker for me to use the stick Logic EQs and compressors.
Yep - some people just don't get on with the channel strip workflow and I get that. They want to use products from a wider range of options, and load what they want when they want - and that's fine. As you say, we all work the best way that works for us.

And that's the way I used to do it too. I start mixing and, ok the bass is a bit wooly, let's go to that channel, and then insert an EQ from my plugin list, start mousing away etc. Ok, I need a compressor to even it out... hmm, which compressor? Maybe I want something aggressive, maybe I'll try an 1176, select, load, tinker, hmm, maybe too much, let's try an LA3A instead, replace the 1176 with the LA3, try again etc... thinking about it, maybe that first EQ could be more of a character one, let's remove that and try a vintage EQ instead... and so on...

...that's what I would be doing (more or less) and I was spending more cognitive effort in choosing which plugins to load than listening and responding to the music. So I wanted to try a different workflow.

If I pull up say an SSL channel strip on all my channels, on the same insert, and my hardware controller has that insert selected, then I can just flip from track to track, and *immediately* tweak the EQ, compress a bit and so on, in a consistently mapped manner with muscle memory, and I'm not worrying about stopping to choose a plugin every few minutes. It's so much more immediate for me, and stops blocking my attention away from the music.

Of course, if it turns out that I need something more (or different) than what my channel strip can do, I'm still going to go find some other tool to take care of that job - so to make the workflow worthwhile, you need to be overall happy to work within the general constraints a channel strip gives you - but let's face it, more amazing hit records have been made with SSL (or whatever) consoles doing the bulk of the mixing, augmented by some choice extra tools (Pultecs, 1176s etc) to be used where necessary, that I should be able to get in the ballpark to make something sound decent pretty quickly. Constraints can be beneficial too.

It's not a big console workflow, but it's a lot closer to it with a DAW/plugins/controllers than you might think. And there's something nice (for me) about the immediacy of having EQ/filters/compression and sometimes gates right there at your fingertips, without having to stop and choose which of your 35 (or 350!) different plugins would best tackle this next job.

And best of all, it doesn't block the workflow of "choose what you want, when you want", because you are still free to choose and use whatever tools per channel you want as well.

Anyway, that was really the start of PA for me, because although I had some channel strips previously (including UA's SSL 4K which I liked but can basically use two instances of - not that useful!), I didn't really have anything that ticked all the boxes... the PA ones, starting with the SSL 4KE, were the first that felt right and sounded good and that started to give me those workflow benefits.

It's not for everyone, and of course there's nothing stopping people using channel strips as a regular plugin when needed. Whatever works!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've got serious GAS and I've have a few beers....

Beer gives me serious gas, too...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well they have the Irish Sea - isn't that enough for them?

Would they want it called the English Sea?
neptune, i always like your posts but you are drifting down the wrong road here in your comments, even if they are supposed to be humorous.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pquinn ➡️
neptune, i always like your posts but you are drifting down the wrong road here in your comments, even if they are supposed to be humorous.
Noted. About time we moved back to music
Old 12th August 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I love my speakers (A7x) but don’t quite trust my partially treated funkily shaped (bed)room so I’ve been gassing on getting some nice headphones for a while. A few weeks back, in typical gas fashion, I sold some gear to fund a pair of Focal Clear MG Pros and an Apollo solo. After a week of breaking them in, I gotta say no regrets. The Focals sound amazing. I personally have never heard headphones sound so good. They are lightweight, comfy, and I feel like I can confidently mix and reference with them.

Also, as is so typical of me, I went back on my no-software pledge and bought all those Softube model synths to play with in their Modular plugin and I got RX Advanced for some post work.

Good times 😁
Attached Thumbnails
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?-6c89efe7-8347-4116-9fb6-8a51dff8e41f.jpeg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pquinn ➡️
Thats the problem when people get lied to...when reality hits they're in to deep to admit the truth.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats the problem when people get lied to...when reality hits they're in to deep to admit the truth.
???
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
???
Not going there
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not going there
I'm just wondering whether Amplitube and this new TONEX Ecosystem will ultimately be able to co-exist alongside one another in the long run for IK because as soon as it is released one will probably sound better than the other and then over time one will surely win out. Could it be the steady decline of Amplitube in favour of the captured gear of TONEX?

Just looking forward to the debates over which sounds better when it is released.

Mind you THU have their captured rigs co-existing with their other stuff so far.

Will you ever be tempted to try out the free CS version of TONEX or sticking with the real deal?

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...#tonexversions
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines ➡️
Just a note: Softube's "Softube Central" updater/download manager app is really good, imo, and possibly the best of this kind of app I've used.

I tended to avoid these tools in the past, opting for regular single-product downloads where available, but SC works great. I hope PA are looking at how they've made it work when looking at updating their similar download manager...
Well, you reminded me to check my Softube installs ... ran the Softube Central ... found 15 updates !!

So I tested one of the updates ... hmmm, it only updated the VST plug, not the VST-3 one. hmmm.

So then I downloaded the installer, and re-installed. OK, it did both VST's ... but it also did the AXX [?] format. Never gave me the option to not.

Now I have to find what default location those axx files went, and delete them.

As for PA installs ... I do wish the Installer would remember the VST-2 location. I always have to make a change to it.

too many plugins :|
📝 Reply