The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Dear Easyrider

Thank you for your e-mail.

Interestingly, it looks like we have one in receipt today, so this should be available pretty soon. just the one though that I can see.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sent an email about Vox AC15H stock….looks like I can order one today.

I have a cheeky code that gets me £27 off…..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What crawls up my butt with guitar sims is pickups - a lot of developers don't tell you what pickups were used other than single coil and humbuckers and that's it. What variation of each? There's been so many variations of each and they all sound different. Even Fender had numerous variations of single coils - regular single coils each era dependent, Texas Specials, Lace Sensors, etc. And you could go nuts trying to catalog every humbucker variation - Pearly Gates, Bill Lawrence Hot Rails, PAF's. Let's not forget active pickups like EMG's. Now I'm not asking for a developer to give us the ability to change pickups (although IKMM gives a rudimentary ability to do so in MODO Bass) as that would be great. Just tell us what was in the guitar that was sampled. Even Rickenbacker had different pickups.

Thankfully for Strats I'm covered with three different ones each with different pickups and each sounds different from the other.

Specifically speaking to Orange Tree Samples and their Tele model - why do they perpetuate the thing of Tele's only are used in country music? They talk about presets pointed towards that genre. How about Jimmy Page? Keith Richards? David Gilmour? They're hardly considered country artists.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️

Specifically speaking to Orange Tree Samples and their Tele model - why do they perpetuate the thing of Tele's only are used in country music? They talk about presets pointed towards that genre. How about Jimmy Page? Keith Richards? David Gilmour? They're hardly considered country artists.
Now you tell me the James Bond Theme isn't a C&W staple... how am I going to get my head around that?????
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
None of us are even real. A plugin is just the absence of no-plugin. We are all just vibrations, flashes in the void. The echo of an echo in your head, just like the memories of music, this is how all things are. Things appear, things disappear. Think of how few things are apparent, and how many things are currently absent. Thing of how many things will never return. Think of how all perceptions are essentially one same taste. When you look at something solid, permanent, see exactly this, the passing, the changing. Especially regarding ideas of the self, the individual identity, the body and mind.
Thats perfect excuse not having analog gear, also remember those stream numbers are not real either
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider ➡️
Regardless we are all being Fornication Under Consent of the King
...Every Day
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludar ➡️
Thats perfect excuse not having analog gear, also remember those stream numbers are not real either
I guess I used to think things like, "I should want to need to have all this outboard gear." And things like, "I should want to have a lot of 'popularity' and numbers." And, "If I don't do these things, if I don't 'work hard' and 'make these albums,' something bad will probably happen."

When I stepped back from that, after enough years, I recognized how empty it all was. Was just putting all this weird imagined pressure, external "popular" ideas of "success," on myself.

Now I'm a lot more comfortable, and I get just as much done, maybe more. Not less. And there's less chaos/noise internally. Also if I don't feel like finishing these albums I've written.... why should I? Who really gets hurt? Does anything bad "actually" happen? I don't think so. You don't have to finish anything, you don't have to buy anything. You don't need to be popular. The "pleasure" of these things, anyway, that we work so hard for, passes back into "nothing" in such a short time anyway. It's empty pursuit. You grasp for them, you don't quite seem to have them, and they're already gone, leaving only the grasping. In my experience, a rather more conventional practice of being grateful for exactly what's already there, is sort of an antidote to this cycle.

The sort of stories we tell ourselves around all these things, the pressures and self-induced negativity... none of that really has anything to do with the things themselves, it's all "extra." And it doesn't feel good.

Back to what Lazoo said recently. The loud voices in "society" saying, you should have big racks, big stacks. You should upload to streamers, you should sound popular, use Autotune, whatever. Use the most "professional" software, but tell people that "analog is better" or "Manley UAD and SSL are the best brands, better than the other brands," at the same time. Play the music other people play. Have "the best guitar pedals" that were "just released." Wear the clothes that the other "accepted" people are seen wearing, and it goes on.

None of these people know what they're talking about. You don't have to listen to any of it.

But there is a way to use desire as a form of joy, rather than this source of compound negativity. Mostly by examining the "voices," recognizing delusion, recognizing true pleasure.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
But there is a way to use desire as a form of joy, rather than this source of compound negativity. Mostly by examining the "voices," recognizing delusion, recognizing true pleasure.
So much needs to be unlearned, before one can learn this better lesson.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightjar ➡️
So much needs to be unlearned, before one can learn this better lesson.
So true!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes ➡️
and yet also we are not Tibetans, grounded by an achingly difficult and tough way of life, with generations of people who we trust around us steeped in that knowledge you write of, able to smirk at us when we make over-eager youthful mistakes with it, and looking up at huge and awe-inspiring mountains that constantly put us in our place, and death all around us and never hidden...

No we're 'modern' people, airheads, surround by digital wonderment, and a terrible cultural drive to be 'individual'... utterly un-grounded.. really a disastrous environment to try to take on that profound knowledge without causing lasting damage to ourselves and those we love, or who love us..

Good luck. We absolutely need it.
Yes... nicely put.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I guess I used to think things like, "I should want to need to have all this outboard gear." And things like, "I should want to have a lot of 'popularity' and numbers." And, "If I don't do these things, if I don't 'work hard' and 'make these albums,' something bad will probably happen."

When I stepped back from that, after enough years, I recognized how empty it all was. Was just putting all this weird imagined pressure, external "popular" ideas of "success," on myself.

Now I'm a lot more comfortable, and I get just as much done, maybe more. Not less. And there's less chaos/noise internally. Also if I don't feel like finishing these albums I've written.... why should I? Who really gets hurt? Does anything bad "actually" happen? I don't think so. You don't have to finish anything, you don't have to buy anything. You don't need to be popular. The "pleasure" of these things, anyway, that we work so hard for, passes back into "nothing" in such a short time anyway. It's empty pursuit. You grasp for them, you don't quite seem to have them, and they're already gone, leaving only the grasping. In my experience, a rather more conventional practice of being grateful for exactly what's already there, is sort of an antidote to this cycle.

The sort of stories we tell ourselves around all these things, the pressures and self-induced negativity... none of that really has anything to do with the things themselves, it's all "extra." And it doesn't feel good.

Back to what Lazoo said recently. The loud voices in "society" saying, you should have big racks, big stacks. You should upload to streamers, you should sound popular, use Autotune, whatever. Use the most "professional" software, but tell people that "analog is better" or "Manley UAD and SSL are the best brands, better than the other brands," at the same time. Play the music other people play. Have "the best guitar pedals" that were "just released." Wear the clothes that the other "accepted" people are seen wearing, and it goes on.

None of these people know what they're talking about. You don't have to listen to any of it.

People certainly do put pressure on themselves….I’m glad I’m working hard on myself to see the bigger picture….its easier to conform and buy that next plugin…it’s harder to just get producing with stuff You have as that takes descipline and hard work.

Just like losing weight…it’s harder to eat that salad in the fridge than ordering a pizza online and getting it delivered….

Buying plugins all the time makes you unfit both mentally and physically imo…And yes I do sound like a ex smoker being all high and mighty….but I don’t care….I want you to taste freedom…the freedom I feel since I ate that salad and didn’t dial up a pizza…

You feel alive…You feel like you can take on the world!

I remember being at a gig once…when I was about 17…No one famous just a band….there was this guy on the stage with killer tone and soul….he was playing a strat.

In between songs I heard some cork sniffers at the bar comment that the guitar player was using a Squire Stratocaster….and that he would get better sounds using a real fender….

I said to them what guitar do you play…they said they didn’t play…I said I was interested why they thought a real fender would be better….they started to spout some BS they probably read in a guitar magazine…I said You wouldn’t know good tone If it jumped up and bit you on the ass…
The Tone is from the player not the gear…they laughed….

In music production the snobbery is one part of it all I despise…cork sniffers with not a clue how to use their tools drive me nuts….

By all means be crap….don’t have a clue…but don’t pretend you do…hardware , software, squires, fenders….anything ….don’t make the man or women or dog or cat or whatever….

Just shut up and play your guitar…Doesn’t matter whatever is on the fecking headstock.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yesss... to me, creativity is over dogma and will always win, because everything new that comes into our lives, came from creativity... someone “breaking the rules” and just being creative.

I enjoy plugins for this very reason... they allow levels of creativity that were not possible before.... so, to hell with trying to sound like x, y or z.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just shut up and play your guitar…Doesn’t matter whatever is on the fecking headstock.
Yup!
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes ➡️
and yet also we are not Tibetans, grounded by an achingly difficult and tough way of life, with generations of people who we trust around us steeped in that knowledge you write of, able to smirk at us when we make over-eager youthful mistakes with it, and looking up at huge and awe-inspiring mountains that constantly put us in our place, and death all around us and never hidden...

No we're 'modern' people, airheads, surround by digital wonderment, and a terrible cultural drive to be 'individual'... utterly un-grounded.. really a disastrous environment to try to take on that profound knowledge without causing lasting damage to ourselves and those we love, or who love us..

Good luck. We absolutely need it.
That's a great point! One of my favorite Tibetans, and favorite people in general, is the Dalai Lama. He has said it many times:

If the anatta, no-self, pointing out instruction doesn't work for you, your upbringing, your conditions / surroundings... don't worry about it! Just do your thing. It's not important to adopt some teaching if it's going to mess you up, or if you simply just can't even grasp the thing.

He, the leader of Tibet, is very concerned with human welfare, and very open minded and not dogmatic when it comes to teaching. He seems to agree with the sort of old wisdom of, it's more important what you do, than what you say. In a sense, it really doesn't even matter what you believe, if you're living well, flourishing, helping others to flourish, and so on. On the other hand, you can be the "wisest, most learned whatever," and do a bunch of harm, what's that really worth? Probably less than the first thing. This is where method, action, is really more important than perceived "wisdom." Or empty wisdom, non-wisdom. Sometimes these people could be called hearers, seers. Doing what you see, hear, is doing, being. Very different.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's the only thread that matters, LOL!
Meanwhile, 3 weeks and 62 pages later...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's a great point! One of my favorite Tibetans, and favorite people in general, is the Dalai Lama. He has said it many times:

If the anatta, no-self, pointing out instruction doesn't work for you, your upbringing, your conditions / surroundings... don't worry about it! Just do your thing. It's not important to adopt some teaching if it's going to mess you up, or if you simply just can't even grasp the thing.

He, the leader of Tibet, is very concerned with human welfare, and very open minded and not dogmatic when it comes to teaching. He seems to agree with the sort of old wisdom of, it's more important what you do, than what you say. In a sense, it really doesn't even matter what you believe, if you're living well, flourishing, helping others to flourish, and so on. On the other hand, you can be the "wisest, most learned whatever," and do a bunch of harm, what's that really worth? Probably less than the first thing. This is where method, action, is really more important than perceived "wisdom." Or empty wisdom, non-wisdom. Sometimes these people could be called hearers, seers. Doing what you see, hear, is doing, being. Very different.
"There are those that think that its our past that defines us, when in fact its how we act now and who we choose to be that makes us who we are."

...Some guy called Simon, The Ass-End Of The World
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Physical fitness is wonderful and it is in our interests to pursue it fervently if we can! I don't think there's a plugin connection, though I've improved my calisthenics, weight lifting and kettle bell work the whole time I've been into ITB audio production. One must be careful not to overgeneralize. I am glad for everyone who has improved themselves and made huge changes. I was ~430lb needing spine surgery in 2013 after seven years of lumbar hernias and stenosis and lots of pills, had to get a laminectomy and a foraminotomy and 4 discectomies. I never would have believed in a million years that my fitness regimen would one day mean banging out 10-15 handstand pushups anywhere I can find a flat wall in a day and sets of pull-ups and suspended rows on parallel bars at the park. I have some wild before/after photos. The road from there to here has been fraught, but being able to be a real dad to my kids instead of bedridden, injured and sick from pills given for pain is worth ten times the tribulation. Loved plugins the whole time to help make music how I wanted, still do, though my kit is more saturated these days and purchases less frequent than when I was rebuilding it.

I guess overconsumption of anything might theoretically have some connection to being generally unhealthy, but I think calories are gonna be the number one correlation, and not spending the ones you take in doesn't help either. I guess you could get trapped in digital land and not move around enough but I don't think that's the DAW's fault. Getting over smoking is hard to do and doing it is a great job, well done Easy.

Edit: So you know I'm not full of shit...

Me at close to my heaviest in 2014:
https://i.imgur.com/KmOEZOh.jpg
Me last year:
https://i.imgur.com/WQZmG6b.jpg
Me a few minutes ago:
https://i.imgur.com/ruxNnht.jpg

Quote:
Sent an email about Vox AC15H stock….looks like I can order one today.

Last edited by Agreed; 1 day ago at 04:53 PM..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
On another note …
Anyone has a IK T-RackS freebie serial lying around I can use to enter the GB and get the Chiccarelli?
I’ll trade you the Native Instruments Lo-Fi Glow serial I got from Focusrite FWIW.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer ➡️
On another note …
Anyone has a IK T-RackS freebie serial lying around I can use to enter the GB and get the Chiccarelli?
I’ll trade you the Native Instruments Lo-Fi Glow serial I got from Focusrite FWIW.
You don’t just get he vocal strip tho…..

I’ll get my coat….
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Softube's Celestion Speaker Shaper is $39 with code : CELESTION60 until June 25 for anyone that's interested.
DEA
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes
Attached Thumbnails
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?-shutup_gtr.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
Cheers for letting me know about the Impact Soundworks (ISW from hereon in) sale as I never seemed to get that email which is odd as I am always getting emails from them usually.

Quote:
As to guitar VSTis - Orange Tree Samples is a step above ISW in my opinion. However both are great and you can fit them in productions very easily especially when bypassing internal fx and running through amp sims and cabs etc.
I will do some more comparing. There are things I like in both so far, too.

Quote:
I think the new strumming engine by ISW is very nice as this is the hardest thing to get right in guitar VSTis. Usually if you want strumming patterns you are either forced to use ready made ones such as with NI Session Guitarist or they sound rubbish and so it can take a lot of work in your DAW to get it decent.
Amen! I agree! I have several guitars to mic for this purpose, but that isn’t always convenient to do.

Quote:
Now some people would say to me - why don't you just record your own guitar and to that I would say I do, however I haven't got multiple guitars to be double, triple or quadruple tracking with and you don't get that stereo width by using the same guitar for everything. You can only take it so far with the same guitar by using different pick-up combinations and playing on different areas of the fretboard.
I liked the doubling, tripling, etc feature in OTS Texas Twang (may have said that already, but do like it. Different.)

Quote:
You mention you have quite a few guitar libraries - I'd be interested to hear which ones they are. Cheers.
I think I was referring to having the other four Softube Marshall amp sims in the earlier post, perhaps. And, I also have Amp Room and many of the other Softube amp sims. I sent you a PM with some others, though.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA ➡️
Yes
Kind of funny... Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Sun Ra...

in essence, whilst being brilliant musicians, bandleaders, also have the reputation, from their members, of being somewhat of cult leaders.

"No drugs, no drink, no women," whatever it might have been, manipulation, compulsion, whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of all of them. It's just something to be aware of. The power of the ego.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Kind of funny... Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Sun Ra...

in essence, whilst being brilliant musicians, bandleaders, also have the reputation, from their members, of being somewhat of cult leaders.

"No drugs, no drink, no women," whatever it might have been, manipulation, compulsion, whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of all of them. It's just something to be aware of. The power of the ego.
He paid the musicians….He didn’t want shitty performances and band members turning up late….

Zappa once stated: “I don’t drink or do hard drugs. I’ve smoked less than ten marijuana cigarettes in my life. When I’m working on music with other musicians, like, say, practising for a tour, I keep very strict standards: no drugs. They can do what they want on their own free time.”
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks like Melda are trying to attract particular buyers
Attached Thumbnails
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?-screenshot-2022-06-23-10.22.29.png  
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
He paid the musicians….He didn’t want shitty performances and band members turning up late….

Zappa once stated: “I don’t drink or do hard drugs. I’ve smoked less than ten marijuana cigarettes in my life. When I’m working on music with other musicians, like, say, practising for a tour, I keep very strict standards: no drugs. They can do what they want on their own free time.”
Ray Charles, James Brown, etc.. Were the same way, they had a job to do and you had to have your shit together to play on their level or you were looking for a new gig quick.

And then you got completely opposite guys like Jimmy Page who were well off enough he was paying Led Zeppelin a salary when they first started until the rest of em got rich too, but those guys seemed to just let whatever fly.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lives for gear

Quote:
Excellent reminder.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like it
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Korg is having a summer sale on their software. Someone on Reddit pointed out that if you own M1Le (which came free with a lot of hardware) that you save an extra $90 and get the Korg Collection 3 software for $149 instead of $239 (normally $399).

It was a bit of a pain, but I managed to find an M1Le code in an old Korg box of mine and got the bundle upgrade deal. So far, I’ve dug into the Triton and M1 and it’s so cool to have these classic soundsets in the box. I love how they even organize sounds by memory card.
Attached Thumbnails
Who Uses Plugin Alliance?-6d137dce-2ae6-426c-bf09-0e2aad615c93.jpeg  
Quote:
Sun Ra...
Had for a while someone who I consider to be the best drummer I've ever heard, namely Clifford Jarvis, whom I got to know, and dearly miss. Stupid a-hole was diabetic and forgot his injections...hey, but that's life. Couldn't believe that someone of his stature ended up teaching adult education in Hackney and playing in jam sessions at Uncle Sam's Bar, though I might never have heard him if he hadn't, so it's not all bad.
📝 Reply